Retractable-roof stadium proposed for outer harbor

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a cruel article. Shame on you Buffalo News.

First thing that came to mind was April Fools!

Then I was wondering what it would cost without the roof? Somehow Green Bay, Chicago, and Cleveland play withut roofs. Seattle blew up the Kingdome, before it was even paid for, and built a Stadium without a roof. Putting hundreds of millions into RICH is a waste of money. Looking to the future, a new Stadium is the only way to go. I prefer no roof but, so far, they have never asked me.

If you want the taxpayers to waste 2 Billion on building this ( by the time the cost overuns and public infrastructure are added in) to keep the Bill's here in WNY, just cut out the middle man and give the new buyers of the BIll's 2 Billion in "tax incentives" to keep the team here. It would be a lot more direct and effective than building it and hoping it will sway the new owners to stay.

A performing arts center when the FNC is empty for probably 250 days a year? Once again...not needed.

Exactly. That was the point of my post. I don't think this will happen.

When I mentioned the PAC/convention center, ect, I was responding to comments asking for an open air stadium. This specific proposal NEEDS to have a retractable roof, because the company is proposing a multi-use facility.

Hmmm, I feel kind of torn right now. Don't get me wrong I LOVE the idea of knowing that the team would def remain in Buffalo and that we would have an up to date stadium, which in turn makes us a more serious franchise and one that is serious about winning. My only problem is the retractable roof. I may be part of the minority, but I really love winter games at the ralph with the snow falling and the cold air. It just feels like old school bills football to me and it has played to our advantage (more so during the 90's) but still. Anyone else kind of feel that way?

I love the winter aspect as well. But it may hinder FA players coming here. And I think with a retractable roof you can have a grass stadium, which is harder to have in the Buffalo winters. Plus, the noise in domed stadiums is magnified. So, you loose the winter aspect, but you gain the ability to have a better all around offense, and louder stadium conditions.

Why 72,000 seats? I say 56,000 to 60,000 tops.

72K seats is a good investment. The Ralph draws that many now, and with the closer proximity to Canada it will draw even more Canadians. The place will be full for every game (because we are crazy fans and come out even when the team blows) and will be VERY VERY LOUD. That said, I think the most likely scenario is a renovation of the Ralph. Which would also be nice.

I'm not big on retractable roofs or domes but this actually looks awesome. It's in a great location. It would guarantee the Bills stay for a long time. We'd have the newest stadium in the NFL instead of the oldest. It would be a huge piece in the development of the waterfront, which they actually have been doing and it looks pretty decent so far. It's also $1.4 billion. $400 million from NY State, $200 million from the NFL and $800 million from somewhere else. In theory, it's perfect in my opinion. In reality, it's Buffalo and NY State so count on it to get screwed up.

Hmmm, I feel kind of torn right now. Don't get me wrong I LOVE the idea of knowing that the team would def remain in Buffalo and that we would have an up to date stadium, which in turn makes us a more serious franchise and one that is serious about winning. My only problem is the retractable roof. I may be part of the minority, but I really love winter games at the ralph with the snow falling and the cold air. It just feels like old school bills football to me and it has played to our advantage (more so during the 90's) but still. Anyone else kind of feel that way?

Gotta have a retractable roof on the water...especially if you want to avoid 45 MPH gusts on certain Sundays but definitely if you want this stadium to be used more than 8 times a year. Retractable roof would get some nice events in there all year round. Great proposal. Also, if you've ever been to domed stadiums, people tend to be better behaved indoors which Buffalo definitely needs more of from it's fans.

This sounds crazy at first, but I like that someone is thinking big. At the very worst, you get people talking about it and adjusting their opinions upward about what is possible instead of quibbling over $200m in improvements to an outdated stadium.

100% agreed. The Buffalo area has so much to offer in terms of its proximity to the falls, its nice downtown, and good airport. It should draw a TON of conventions. The only problem is the weather. This gives it a state of the art football facility and convention center, and people who live in Southern Ontario could go there instead of Toronto for concerts. Would not even need to play games in Toronto anymore because this is so close to Canada. This brings investment and outside dollars back into the Buffalo area.

Gotta have a retractable roof on the water...especially if you want to avoid 45 MPH gusts on certain Sundays but definitely if you want this stadium to be used more than 8 times a year. Retractable roof would get some nice events in there all year round. Great proposal. Also, if you've ever been to domed stadiums, people tend to be better behaved indoors which Buffalo definitely needs more of from it's fans.

I've noticed that too regarding behavior indoors. Not sure why that is.