Luke Kuechly looking good.

Luke Kuechly sounds like he is having him self a very good off-season so far. I feel very confident if we hadn't selected Gilmore and instead drafted Kuechly, we would still have our selves one heck of a football player. I am rooting for the kid. I was secretly hoping for him. Him or Gilmore. Either way, I thought it would be something interesting to bring up.

"If you look at the athleticism that we have, and I also think with Luke's stoutness and his size he really helps us on the strong side of the running game," said Rivera, who spent nine seasons playing linebacker in the NFL. "I really like what we've got going right now." Kuechly, who won the Butkus and three other major awards last season, showed off some of that athletic ability early in the first practice of the season..."

Decent stuff. The article also explains in detail some of the plays he has been making in camp.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/panthers_kuechly_ahead_of_the_curve/11328826

I already know that piece of information. You can argue our top 2 needs were CB and LB. A lot of people felt Kuechly wouldn't go that high. In return a lot of people were hoping for him. I was one of them that would not have minded Lukey Kuechly to fall to us and then for us to draft him.

Anyone here want to trade Gilmore for Kuechly now? I didn't think so.

PTR

I sure don't.

But, I do appreciate the link, DB. A lot of people argued a LB is never worth that high a pick. I want to track LK to see how he contributes, to see if he plays at pro bowl level in his first couple years after that being predicted by many. (Similarly, I'll keep my eyes on DeCastro.)

PTR

Dont know. Is Gilmore having a great camp because he is that good or our WR's suck that badly? We still do not have a quality #2 on this team and it is going to hurt us again this year.

Dont know. Is Gilmore having a great camp because he is that good or our WR's suck that badly? We still do not have a quality #2 on this team and it is going to hurt us again this year.

Just a little ray of sunshine around the house, aren't you?

Gilmore has mostly been covering Stevie. Stevie has a track record of success against the best corners in the league, including Revis Island. If Stevie says he's good, he's good.

Now go enjoy that half-empty glass of beer.

Just a little ray of sunshine around the house, aren't you?

Gilmore has mostly been covering Stevie. Stevie has a track record of success against the best corners in the league, including Revis Island. If Stevie says he's good, he's good.

Now go enjoy that half-empty glass of beer.

:thumbsup:

That's the only logical explanation. DOOOOOOOMED!! :w00t:

PTR

Wow, really? From all accounts I've heard he's been extremely mature and an exceptional athlete. It's the NFL, it's not like our WR's are high schoolers out there. Stevie said in an interview that he's just as good if not better than most of the corners in the league right now.

I already know that piece of information. You can argue our top 2 needs were CB and LB. A lot of people felt Kuechly wouldn't go that high. In return a lot of people were hoping for him. I was one of them that would not have minded Lukey Kuechly to fall to us and then for us to draft him.

Sooo what is your point then? Kuechly looks good in practice?

I sure don't.

But, I do appreciate the link, DB. A lot of people argued a LB is never worth that high a pick. I want to track LK to see how he contributes, to see if he plays at pro bowl level in his first couple years after that being predicted by many. (Similarly, I'll keep my eyes on DeCastro.)

Forgetting about his production or what happened while he was here there is little doubt that had SF not taken Willis just before our taking of Lynch, that Willis would have been the pick.

I agree with you Matt. I think Willis is the only exception the past few years, even though a number of early LBs have produced.

I think its way to early to pass judgement on Kuechly or Gilmore.. I bet if you asked 100 bills fans if they would trade Gilmore for Kuechly, 5 would say yes. But.. I bet if you asked 100 panthers fans if they would trade Kuechly for Gilmore, only 2 would say yes.

Every fan gets attached to their own players..

PTR

Lets see how our LB's do this year. I really wanted Keuchly and I think Nix had him higher on the board than Gilmore, but they will probably both be good pro's. I had Patrick Willis flashbacks--one pick away from a stud LB and someone else grabs him.

The thing that bothers me was that stupid "strength of schedule" system the NFL uses to set the draft order when teams have the same record. That put Miami in the 8th slot ahead of us and the Panthers at the 9 pick even though we had the same record and Miami beat us twice. Ridiculous logic. They should use head to head as the tie breaker (assuming the teams played each other that season) like every other league in the world.

I remember sitting there on draft day thinking: here's a team that KILLED us twice last year picking two slots ahead of us even though we have the same record. Then Keuchly goes next pick.....

I think that with Carder looking as solid in camp as he has so far, although very early into camp,

that we might just have our cake and eat it to. Maybe Carder or Bradham turn out to be as good as Kuchely,

just didn't have the same college pedigree, just sayin!

I think the Bills like Keuchly and Barron ahead of Gilmore. However, I think this team is better off with Gilmore than either of those two at this point. Without Gilmore, as its uncertain McGee will ever play again, McKelvin maybe not getting it, Williams possibly due for a sophomore slump, we would be thin at CB. Now I think we are in great shape even without McGee.

This thread is a head scratcher to say the least. Kuechly is drafted 9th, one spot AHEAD of where the Bills were picking. The Bills didn't even have the option of picking him with the 10th overall pick. If a guy like Dre Kirkpatrick was looking like an all pro in camp and the suggestion was that we should have taken him, I would get that. Honestly, even if Kuechly were still there at 10th, I would still rather have Gilmore.

It is just my opinion but I believe that the bills draft board was set up to take either Gilmore or Kuch....whichever one fell. That is why they didnt try and trade up or down.

Both of these guys are excellent players....I personally DONT think they had their sites set on Barron no matter what the media was saying....we have 2 very good safties there and a promising young guy waiting in the wings at that spot.

On the other hand Kuch and Gilmore were both very good players at positions of need......in the end it really ended up working out for us because

a. Gilmore is looking like an absolute stud of a corner......a future shut down guy

b. The draft played out well for us because we ended up getting Tank Carder.....who is wowing everyone in camp

I am fine with the way this played out

Does it really need to be pointed out that he is covering Stevie J.? Who has been putting up Andre Reed numbers since he hit the starting lineup?

I dont know what is happening with the 2nd option WR's .....but GILMORE's assignment has been Stevie.

The bills didn't have the option of drafting Kuechly. Based on what I have read I think the bills may have liked Kuechly and Baron more than Gilmore, but both were gone.

Hate to keep posting positives but I am sure happy to hear that two guys they may have liked better than Gilmore were drafted before Gilmore.

It's So refreshing not to have every pick every year be a surprise for a "raw player with lots of upside" and undersized guy "with a high motor", or some other contrarian feat.

I remember the head scratching we saw with graham this year on virtually all top picks in the mordak debacle...

I wanted Kuechly so bad but he was gone. LB's, particularly Kuechly who is an everydown LB, have more an impact on a game than a CB imo. The Bills also had Drayon Florence under contract at that time. With Kuechly gone I actually wanted the WR Floyd from Notre Dame...again a bigger need for this team than CB was. In any event, Gilmore is getting rave reviews and with McGee still hurt the Gilmore pick makes more sense now.

Its going to get proven on the field one way or another. If Gilmore is a shut down type corner and makes a nice impact year one is anyone going to care if Luke Kuechly is a really good NFL player? I liked Kuechly a lot going into the draft and thought getting him would fill one of our biggest holes on defense. I thought of Kuechly as a Brian Urlacher type LB who is good against the run but great in coverage.

All in all you can't blame the Bills as Kuechly wasn't available for them to draft at that point and they took Gilmore who himself filled a need on defense.

I wanted Kuechly so bad but he was gone. LB's, particularly Kuechly who is an everydown LB, have more an impact on a game than a CB imo. The Bills also had Drayon Florence under contract at that time. With Kuechly gone I actually wanted the WR Floyd from Notre Dame...again a bigger need for this team than CB was. In any event, Gilmore is getting rave reviews and with McGee still hurt the Gilmore pick makes more sense now.

I am not positive that wide receiver was a bigger need then corner was.....

The bills had wide receivers they really liked...they just needed for them to step up. This just after a night practice where Easley and Graham shine.....

And for Grahams part....he has been making plays all training camp.

5 years ago I would have agreed with you. Not today with wide open passing offenses

I liked Kuechly as well, and think his coverage skills make him very attractive in a pass-happy league; I don't doubt he'll be an excellent pro. I'll disagree with you with respect to what the Bills needs were/are, though. Florence was brutal last year. Yes, the pass rush was non-existent, but Drayton's legs began to betray him. A CB without his legs is not worth keeping, and I'll be paying attention to how Florence fares in Denver. McGee was, and still is, a huge question mark after all the injuries (same issue -- no legs). That means before drafting Gilmore and Brooks the Bills were looking at McCorner and Williams as the starters, Rogers in the slot, and then what? That's a horror show. CB was absolutely a huge need.

I've said this before, but I don't think Gailey is nearly as concerned about his WR depth as the fans/media are.

I liked Kuechly as well, and think his coverage skills make him very attractive in a pass-happy league; I don't doubt he'll be an excellent pro. I'll disagree with you with respect to what the Bills needs were/are, though. Florence was brutal last year. Yes, the pass rush was non-existent, but Drayton's legs began to betray him. A CB without his legs is not worth keeping, and I'll be paying attention to how Florence fares in Denver. McGee was, and still is, a huge question mark after all the injuries (same issue -- no legs). That means before drafting Gilmore and Brooks the Bills were looking at McCorner and Williams as the starters, Rogers in the slot, and then what? That's a horror show. CB was absolutely a huge need.

I've said this before, but I don't think Gailey is nearly as concerned about his WR depth as the fans/media are.

Well said

I think the fact that McKelvin is at the 4th corner spot or something like that....and the fact that Florence was released and MgGee kept just on the hopes he might have something left spoke volumes of what state the corner position was in....

Injuries? What happens if a corner goes down? Do we start suiting up street free agents? Teams that do that dont go to the playoffs.....we struck gold with Stevie....we have Nelson......we drafted a speed merchant who is better then most thought he would be thus far in camp.....we found a "Urbik" in Derek Hagan......and we are waiting to see if this is the year Easley can finally have his chance.

I think corner was by far the weakest position....and they addressed it with two really good picks in Gilmore and Brooks.

In Nix I trust

This thread is a head scratcher to say the least. Kuechly is drafted 9th, one spot AHEAD of where the Bills were picking. The Bills didn't even have the option of picking him with the 10th overall pick. If a guy like Dre Kirkpatrick was looking like an all pro in camp and the suggestion was that we should have taken him, I would get that. Honestly, even if Kuechly were still there at 10th, I would still rather have Gilmore.

To my knowledge there are a lot of Bills fans that were hoping for him after the top 6 were gone. I am pretty sure the Bills had Kuechly very high on their board and it would have had come down to him or Gilmore, if Gilmore were to get selected by Carolina which they were very high on him as well. The point of the thread is to point out that either way we would have had a very solid player. Some still even wouldn't mind having him over a CB because we had a deep secondary. But I am glad we have Gilmore. I love the kid. I wouldn't be upset with either one of them. Don't be so cynical.

I think that with Carder looking as solid in camp as he has so far, although very early into camp,

that we might just have our cake and eat it to. Maybe Carder or Bradham turn out to be as good as Kuchely,

just didn't have the same college pedigree, just sayin!

I wasn't crazy about Keuchly… don't think he's anywhere near the player that Urlacher was. Urlacher played safety in college and was taller and heavier than Keuchly when he came out.

I like the LBs we took although I would have loved if the Bills had taken Miles Burris, the kid from San Diego State.

I think the Bills like Keuchly and Barron ahead of Gilmore. However, I think this team is better off with Gilmore than either of those two at this point. Without Gilmore, as its uncertain McGee will ever play again, McKelvin maybe not getting it, Williams possibly due for a sophomore slump, we would be thin at CB. Now I think we are in great shape even without McGee.

I think ultimately that you can simply never have enough cornerbacks and that Gilmore is an excellent one. With the switch to a 4-3 defense and with the predominant use of sub-packages, I think that linebacker remains (generally speaking) a position of low value. I personally did not view Keuchly as being an exception to that rule. But we shall see.

Keep this up and your handle might not be so damned ironic.

:)

To my knowledge there are a lot of Bills fans that were hoping for him after the top 6 were gone. I am pretty sure the Bills had Kuechly very high on their board and it would have had come down to him or Gilmore, if Gilmore were to get selected by Carolina which they were very high on him as well. The point of the thread is to point out that either way we would have had a very solid player. Some still even wouldn't mind having him over a CB because we had a deep secondary. But I am glad we have Gilmore. I love the kid. I wouldn't be upset with either one of them. Don't be so cynical.

There is absolutely no point to this thread....nice try

If you don't care, then shut up. Simple. Many people do care. Thanks for your input.

Actually, nobody does care. If he was available and we didn't draft him, maybe there would be a point to this thread.........A few days into camp probably wouldn't be the time to anoint any player better than another one, but at least it would make more sense than this thread.

Actually, nobody does care. If he was available and we didn't draft him, maybe there would be a point to this thread.........A few days into camp probably wouldn't be the time to anoint any player better than another one, but at least it would make more sense than this thread.

Exactly. The OP thinks our secondary was "deep"? Even after florence gone? Um, no. We have an old, oft injured cornerback (mcgee), a CB with little to no ball skills and awareness (mckelvin), an unproven 2nd year guy (williams), etc., etc...

Yes Dukey, no one really cares besides you about a LB that we had no chance to draft at all. Not at this point.