Ok, so now we REALLY like Pat Kirwan

eball

Kirwan

Interesting he suggests this was the Bills' plan all along, but they knew better than to try to install the 4-3 last season before getting the horses in the stable. Not sure I totally buy that (doesn't explain George Edwards' presence), but there's no question the talent needed an upgrade.

Also, Kirwan has McGee penciled in as a starter; I think we all pretty much agree Williams is the frontrunner for that spot.

Regardless...more positive press concerning the Bills' offseason! I know many are "worried" by this, but let's face it, when a lot of national media guys are saying your team did good things, it's probably at least a decent indication the arrow is pointing up.

Kirwan

Interesting he suggests this was the Bills' plan all along, but they knew better than to try to install the 4-3 last season before getting the horses in the stable. Not sure I totally buy that (doesn't explain George Edwards' presence), but there's no question the talent needed an upgrade.

Also, Kirwan has McGee penciled in as a starter; I think we all pretty much agree Williams is the frontrunner for that spot.

Regardless...more positive press concerning the Bills' offseason! I know many are "worried" by this, but let's face it, when a lot of national media guys are saying your team did good things, it's probably at least a decent indication the arrow is pointing up.

I think people are writing off McGee too quickly for this year. IF he's healthy (a big if, granted), I don't think there is any way they start a rookie and a 2nd year guy over him. I think McGee will start and Gilmore, Williams, and Leodis will be battling for the other outside spot and the nickel spot.

If I had to make a prediction, I see McGee and Gilmore starting and Leodis covering the slot with Williams getting time in dime and getting himself ready for the inevitable shift that will happen when McGee and Leodis leave/fade/retire, etc. I see this as a transition year in the d backfield. I do think you're right that next year the starting DBs will be Gilmore and Williams (unless Brooks or someone else shows some mad skills).

Kirwan

Not me, I believe McGee will start as long as he remains healthy....Which is a BIG IF given his injury history.

Williams will be the 3rd corner and will often matchup against move TEs like Hernandez.

I think people are writing off McGee too quickly for this year. IF he's healthy (a big if, granted), I don't think there is any way they start a rookie and a 2nd year guy over him. I think McGee will start and Gilmore, Williams, and Leodis will be battling for the other outside spot and the nickel spot.

If I had to make a prediction, I see McGee and Gilmore starting and Leodis covering the slot with Williams getting time in dime and getting himself ready for the inevitable shift that will happen when McGee and Leodis leave/fade/retire, etc. I see this as a transition year in the d backfield. I do think you're right that next year the starting DBs will be Gilmore and Williams (unless Brooks or someone else shows some mad skills).

Interesting comment re: Brooks. We just don't know what this guy will bring to the table; he was essentially playing behind all-pros at LSU yet still made the most of his opportunities. It would be fantastic to know we have 4-5 CBs capable of starting on the roster.

Interesting comment re: Brooks. We just don't know what this guy will bring to the table; he was essentially playing behind all-pros at LSU yet still made the most of his opportunities. It would be fantastic to know we have 4-5 CBs capable of starting on the roster.

Yeah, for some reason (probably my typical April/May delusional fog), I find myself more excited about Brooks than any other draft pick. Doesn't make sense and I can't explain it. I just think he might turn into something special.

Either way, I'm loving the DB competition and depth this year. Surely SOMEONE has to turn out to be good out of this very presentable collection of potential (Gilmore, Williams, Brooks, Rogers, maybe McKelvin sees the light or is moved to the slot where he can keep things in front of him, etc.).

Then again, I fall for this shite every year (and happily - how else would I entertain myself?). Whenever I see '19-0' at the bottom of The Senator's posts, I always think, "I guess it's possible . . ."

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench

Nobody should ever apologize for being optimistic about rooting for a sports team, Last Guy...it's supposed to be fun. After all, we're not the ones making the decisions, so what else can we do? B word and moan? Not my style.

I'll worry about the things I can control, and if following the Bills ever becomes something I don't enjoy, I'll just stop.

Go Bills!

I have always liked Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan's Sirius radio show in the afternoons. They try to teach their listeners about football and are critical of every team. they are very objective.

Nobody should ever apologize for being optimistic about rooting for a sports team, Last Guy...it's supposed to be fun. After all, we're not the ones making the decisions, so what else can we do? B word and moan? Not my style.

I'll worry about the things I can control, and if following the Bills ever becomes something I don't enjoy, I'll just stop.

Go Bills!

Preach, Brother. I'm with you.

Although I do appreciate the cynical bastages on the board too. Even though it's not my temperament, it keeps the place lively. I won't even mention the actual, thoughtful, reasonable, knowledgeable, realistic, civil posters, as there are only about eight of those, God bless them.

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench

Most national media types know a lot about the NFL but aren't experts on individual teams, except maybe a few of the perennial contenders. And since the Bills haven't been contenders for about as long as Obama's been a father, it's rare to read/hear anything intelligent about the Bills from the national media.

Kirwan just proved to be an exception. He didn't tell us anything we didn't already know, and we may not all agree with his projected 2012 starting defensive lineup, but he showed he understands what's happening here.

Thanks for the link, eball.

agreed. if healthy, mcgee is much better than given credit for.

While I love the pre-season accolades it worries me that people's expectations are going to be sky high. And when we don't get 20 sacks and 70 points a game, or god forbid lose a game, people are going to lose it.

PTR

While I love the pre-season accolades it worries me that people's expectations are going to be sky high. And when we don't get 20 sacks and 70 points a game, or god forbid lose a game, people are going to lose it.

PTR

I know what you mean, but for me it's more about the player's expectations. And in this case, I HOPE they believe the hype. I want them to think they are good with the potential to be great. I want them to be dumbfounded when they lose.

With many teams, inflated ego is bad fuel. But there is no way these guys get fat, delusional heads before the season. They have been too crappy for too long and the memory of that 7 game losing streak last year has to be pretty fresh. So for them, I think all this pumping up is good.

Personally, I think we are a year (and the continued development of Fitz and the o-line) away from being a really good team. I'm expecting nice improvement to 9 or 10 wins this year, and I will be delighted with that, if it happens (even though I will still freak out and be depressed for two days every time they lose, as always).

I love reading postive things about the Bils, but I was confused by the article. Wasn't the switch to the 3-4 with the personnel they had illadvised to begin with? For the past two years didn't we have people playing out of position? Now all of a sudden they are smart for going back to a base defense they are bettor suited to play?

Total bull ****. We went from 4-3 to 3-4 without the right players. We were *almost* ok last year, but still, not really. The switch back to 4-3 is easy because we pretty much already have 4-3 talent.

That being said, the rest of the article about talent and depth, is definitely true.

1337698641[/url]' post='2472254']

I love reading postive things about the Bils, but I was confused by the article. Wasn't the switch to the 3-4 with the personnel they had illadvised to begin with? For the past two years didn't we have people playing out of position? Now all of a sudden they are smart for going back to a base defense they are bettor suited to play?

This is definitely odd and Nix/Gailey are the ones who immediately transitioned to the 3-4 upon their arrival. Perhaps, and it's JMO, the soft, bend don't break, fast D Jauron had wasn't what they wanted in a 4-3 and switching to a 3-4 first allowed time to draft and acquire the correct personnel to run THIS 4-3. I'm not sure I can make myself believe this.. But this is definitely a different 4-3 than the one they inherited.

Yes, I agree and think Kirwan didn't think that part through when writing the article. His explanation doesn't account for why George Edwards was put in charge of the defense and a switch was made to the 3-4 to begin with.

The missing link here is really Buddy and Chan; only they can tell us what they were specifically thinking two years ago. The hiring of Wannstedt prior to last season would "suggest" they were already considering going back to the 4-3, but it makes you wonder why they didn't just make him the DC last year if that was the case. I'd also like to know what they told Edwards.

And you know what? Sometimes people just change their minds after seeing something that's not working. Chan did it with Trent Edwards, after all. It's an intelligent boss/manager who can implement a change, and then be smart enough to scrap it and start over when it's clear his idea isn't working.

PTR

It's better than knowing the team is gonna blow and then having them prove it to us every year....

Kirwan

You know what the best part is? The Bills have EARNED these articles. We are now actually doing something instead of TALKING about it. We now have one of the top 2 DL's (#1 if you ask me) in the entire NFL. Our secondary was good and will now be great with the pass rush. LB's are playing in their natural spots and assuming natural roles for them.

I see 11 wins this year baring injury.

Yeah, for some reason (probably my typical April/May delusional fog), I find myself more excited about Brooks than any other draft pick. Doesn't make sense and I can't explain it. I just think he might turn into something special.

Either way, I'm loving the DB competition and depth this year. Surely SOMEONE has to turn out to be good out of this very presentable collection of potential (Gilmore, Williams, Brooks, Rogers, maybe McKelvin sees the light or is moved to the slot where he can keep things in front of him, etc.).

Then again, I fall for this shite every year (and happily - how else would I entertain myself?). Whenever I see '19-0' at the bottom of The Senator's posts, I always think, "I guess it's possible . . ."

Yep. As much as i like this draft, It's Brooks that I'm most intrigued by. I have a feeling, as do you, that this kid will be something special. :thumbsup:

Letes hope, anyway..... :unsure:

You know what the best part is? The Bills have EARNED these articles. We are now actually doing something instead of TALKING about it. We now have one of the top 2 DL's (#1 if you ask me) in the entire NFL. Our secondary was good and will now be great with the pass rush. LB's are playing in their natural spots and assuming natural roles for them.

I see 11 wins this year baring injury.

I'm a natural pessimist, but I have to say that ON PAPER our defensive line and secondary are SICK! Based on those two units alone I expect us to be a top-10 defense. Not crazy about the linebackers though. None of those guys cover much ground.

Kirwan

I believe McGee get the start until he gets hurt. I still think he us our best proven cover corner, when he can play.

Kirwan

good piece.

I agree, when healthy, I think he still a top level corner . . . lets hope, a good problem to have

PTR

PTR, no worries.... I'll be happy when we score 40 points a game this season.

:D

I'm a natural pessimist, but I have to say that ON PAPER our defensive line and secondary are SICK! Based on those two units alone I expect us to be a top-10 defense. Not crazy about the linebackers though. None of those guys cover much ground.

Since LB isn't our best position, I guess it's great we only have field 3 of them this year rather than four.

I have a feeling that these 3 will look better under Wanny's leadership than they looked last year under Edwards. Having some hefty, talented guys in front of them will help.

I agree with his points, but I'm happy staying under the radar.

What I don't think people are putting together, is that similar to the Jim Kelly- led K-Gun days, jumping on opponents early and often with TD's forces the other team into passing situations to catch up.

Now that we should have a deadly pass rush, and our Offense should be improved with a #2 receiver, Chandler back at TE, the O Line jelling now, and Fred coming back, Gailey should have us putting points up in furious fashion.

Allowing our improved pass rush to feast on more QB drop backs and hurries, forces those same QB's to throw earlier than they both want to and are ready to, and look out for the flood of INT's!!

Put plainly: if injuries don't hurt us, and if the pass rush is as improved as I think that it is, I would not see it unrealistic for a 12-4 record and a home playoff game or 2.

GO BILLS!

ARE YOU CRAZY!??!??!? :wallbash:

Did you even watch Nick Barnett play last year?

The guy is everywhere. Heck, if I'm not mistaken he singlehandedly led the defense against the Giants and a couple of others. I think he killed a few Dolphins, too.

Go back and look at the tape, dude.

Barnett is a beast!

Too many positive things are being said about the Bills this offseason.

Far too much good karma and high hopes.

Quickly! Rian Lindell! Stab someone!

stab someone?? what is this The Girl Scouts??--Stab someone in whorehouse w a dirty needle.

I have always liked Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan's Sirius radio show in the afternoons. They try to teach their listeners about football and are critical of every team. they are very objective.

I really like Kirwan's "Take Your Eye Off the Ball" book. Something in it for every level of football fan.

Yep. As much as i like this draft, It's Brooks that I'm most intrigued by. I have a feeling, as do you, that this kid will be something special. :thumbsup:

Letes hope, anyway..... :unsure:

I agree with this, Brooks starts on most other teams in SEC and based on his production with minimal playing time probably improves to late first/second round draft choice.

IF McGee makes the final cut I'm sure The Bills will use him carefully to try and keep him healthy...McGee should figure to be an important mentor for these young kids...But he's having HUGE problems staying healthy...And for a Vet CB that's tough..

Williams is absolutely the favorite to start opposite Gilmore...In fact I think it would be more likely to see Gilmore eased in than Williams...I think a lot of Folks are looking at Williams early on last year...A Rookie with zero Mini Camps, zero off season, at one of the hardest positions in the NFL, and forgetting the fact that he may have been our best Defender by the end of the year...I think with an entire off season, and with the experience he got last year, Williams will start at CB from day #1...

I think The Bills will be hoping to have Gilmore and Williams start...McGee and Brooks will be the 1st off the bench, with Rogers as the 5th CB, and McLovin bringing up the rear...Oh...And look for The Bills to try like hell to unload McLovin on any taker...Though I doubt anyone will bite...

IMHO of course... B-)

In regard to McGee starting.. i think this is tough. If he is healthy he does play very good football very good. I hope we can agree on that. So does Buffalo do? try to keep him healthy and let him play #3 and limiting reps ? Or should we go ahead and use him up while the kids get their feet wet. Would you guys consider that Terrence starts with Williams as Gilmore was kinda drafted to cover the TE even though i think he will become a complete backer in time?

Maybe we just rotate the whole gang depending on matchups. We have 3 guys who can run stop in Williams T McGee and Happy, i am guessing. We have some guys that can cover speed.. McKelvin and R. Brooks. But on the other side is that the our 4-3 will be zoned and not man so much. Well it looks like a good problem to have as they say

addition: KOK damnit you type faster than me man!

Edited by 3rdand12

Ask yourself honestly: Does this year's shyt smell the same as the shyt of years past?

Too many positive things are being said about the Bills this offseason.

Far too much good karma and high hopes.

Promo's gonna get nervous… oh. Here he is.

PTR

Don't worry about other people's expectations.

Just enjoy that same feeling we had back in 1987 when we could clearly see what was happening.

+1... love them.

I agree with this, Brooks starts on most other teams in SEC and based on his production with minimal playing time probably improves to late first/second round draft choice.

Since they drafted him and i have been able to do a little research on the guy, i think you are right. He woul dhave been a starter on any other team, including Bama.

He could very well turn out to be a steal. He has all the potential. If he can get coached up some we will have three young guys under contract for atleast 3 more years at DB. That coupled with our Dline, and the LBs will look a lot better.

Brooks looks to make ahuge splash on ST from day one.

having said all that, if healthy i want McGee starting the first game of the year. He is the only proven good CB on this team right now. The guy just seems to not have the body to withstand the beating anymore.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975