The Bell has gonged: Reiff is our guy

We are picking Reiff/DeCastro in round 1. If they are both gone that would be quite a bad thing but one or both should still be there . There are 15-20 receivers in this draft with good talent. There are not very many starting tackles. Take the lineman or you don't get one.. Simple as that.

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are picking Reiff/DeCastro in round 1. If they are both gone that would be quite a bad thing but one or both should still be there . There are 15-20 receivers in this draft with good talent. There are not very many starting tackles. Take the lineman or you don't get one.. Simple as that.

What do you think of Floyd?

Man this draft will be interesting. Who else is not enamored with Floyd?

I'm not. I know it's not scientific, but I get a really bad vibe from watching interviews with that guy.

If the Bills are forced to stay at #10, then I hope they take the BPA without troubled histories in DeCastro, Ingram or Keuchly.

I don't think it will be a DB since even if they are good, they're basically unaffordable after their rookie contracts are up.

Drafting a player, especially the 2nd or 3rd best one, based only on need has never backed fired.

Signed,

JP Losman, James Hardy, and John McCargo

You should add Eric Flowers & Travares Tillman to that list.

Which in itself is a stupid analogy, because we can point to draft busts of the top picks, and it didn't matter whether they were taken for need or BPA.

Bottom line is that if you have a good scouting department and competent guys doing the selection, you'll do a better job on draft day, no matter whether you look for need or BPA.

1333559436[/url]' post='2430039']

Great post!!!!!! Or not....

Why not wait and take NaTe Potter later, he at least actually projects to be a LEFT tackle.

No reiff, no decastro, and no ILB like keuchly @ 10. Take an Olb, Cb, or WR (not floyd).

Remember, we only have one pick per rd for rds 1-3. The way I see it, we should go cb/olb, then wr, qb

You should add Eric Flowers & Travares Tillman to that list.

Which in itself is a stupid analogy, because we can point to draft busts of the top picks, and it didn't matter whether they were taken for need or BPA.

Bottom line is that if you have a good scouting department and competent guys doing the selection, you'll do a better job on draft day, no matter whether you look for need or BPA.

Are we forgetting Whitner at #8?

Are we forgetting Whitner at #8?

I was responding to reaching for need with the 2nd or 3rd available player.

Technically Whitner doesn't count, since he was the No. 1 guy picked for the DB need, as Jauron made it clear he wanted to build his new defense around the next Mike Brown. Travares Tillman is the better example, since Bills panicked after the run on safeties in that draft.

Aren't you concerned about Reiff's underage drinking and resisting arrest charges from 2 years ago? Floyd isn't the only draftee with a history to overcome.

Shhhhh, don't interrupt his crusade with logic and facts, his head might explode. :ph34r:

Aren't you concerned about Reiff's underage drinking and resisting arrest charges from 2 years ago? Floyd isn't the only draftee with a history to overcome.

I for one am horrified by the idea of underage drinking for a college kid! I can see the shame in that from my glass house!

I don't think it will be a DB since even if they are good, they're basically unaffordable after their rookie contracts are up.

Uh.. this is exactly why they get drafted high..

With the loss of Bell I instantly thought of OT.....but then I took a couple of deep breaths.

I DONT want to reach...I really dont.

A couple of things that I truly dont know but are bugging me.....

Is Rief or Martin truly going to be a foundation at the Left Tackle spot

and

What is the drop off from these guys to the guys who might be available at the 2nd round pick?

Just keep in mind that we got guys like Jonas Jennings in the 2nd round......and Bell and Peters were complete afterthoughts. Another thing I am really wondering is just how high the bills are on Hairston actually being the starting LT.....because if he is the guy....then what we are really looking for is a swing OT to bring along behind him.

With the loss of Bell I instantly thought of OT.....but then I took a couple of deep breaths.

I DONT want to reach...I really dont.

A couple of things that I truly dont know but are bugging me.....

Is Rief or Martin truly going to be a foundation at the Left Tackle spot

and

What is the drop off from these guys to the guys who might be available at the 2nd round pick?

Just keep in mind that we got guys like Jonas Jennings in the 2nd round......and Bell and Peters were complete afterthoughts. Another thing I am really wondering is just how high the bills are on Hairston actually being the starting LT.....because if he is the guy....then what we are really looking for is a swing OT to bring along behind him.

Exactly. Is kalil the only plug and play starter? Nix said there are three guys who could start soon, but that doesn't necessarily mean immediately. If you're not getting a day 1 starter at 10 then you start Hairston. Reiff is not a day 1 starter at LEFT tackle.

I hate all the posts about how we need to draft Reiff. Why would you reach for a fairly solid guard? At least pick the best guard in the draft if you're going interior lineman! Reiff is far too compact and has too short of arms to be a good OT in this league.

For all the people saying that we shouldn't draft Keuchly, because we need an OLB instead of a MLB, Keuchly projects to any of the three LB spots in a 4-3. If we drafted him, he'd come in and start immediately at OLB.

Gilmore, although good, is by no means BPA and therefore won't be the pick. Unless one of the elite players drop to us, if the Bills go BPA, it will be Keuchly, Decastro, or Floyd. If they go for need, it will be Floyd, Martin or (god forbid) Reiff, or possibly Keuchly.

There is another way to fix LT- low budget free agents.

Buddy has proven he can find decent lineman cheap (Pears etc)

We could add 1 or 2 guys here so it's not such a huge need before the draft and give ourselves some options. Some Tackles still around include Stacey Andrews, Marc Columbo, Kirk Cousins, Adam Goldberg, Max Starks and Tony Ugoh.

Not saying there are great options at LT, but adding 1 or 2 sure might help.

That was probably a reach as well but he at least was a decent player for us. He also looked really good playing for the Niners last year behind a pass rush and knocking out receivers.

Probably was a reach, he was considered borderline first rounder.

Why not wait and take NaTe Potter later, he at least actually projects to be a LEFT tackle.

No reiff, no decastro, and no ILB like keuchly @ 10. Take an Olb, Cb, or WR (not floyd).

Remember, we only have one pick per rd for rds 1-3. The way I see it, we should go cb/olb, then wr, qb

I partially agree. Nate Potter is a stud, from an o-line of studs that finished the year tied for 1st in sacks allowed (0.67) -Ideally, I'd take D-cups (DeCastro) @ 10, then snag Potter in a later round. That would be the makings of a terriffic O-line.

I'm also encouraged by the fact that these kids would be scrimmaging top-flight pasrushers in training camp. Competing against BOTH Williams brothers, Dareus, and Mark Anderson could give young OT's/OG's a trememdous advantage coming out of the gate.

Edited by #34fan

Im not on the floyd wagon.

Id take Ingram/ gilmore then jeffrey @ 41.

All S. Carolina players coming from the poster with the handle "CarolinaBill". No bias there, huh? Too funny. If the Bills take Ingram at 10 after their additions in free agency then they are complete morons. And 10 is a bit high for Gilmore too. Jeffery?? Hello James Hardy part 2!!

Just like bulaga a few yrs back, Reiff will not be the pick. Why, because you dont take Right tackles and guards in the top 10.

I disagree. What you say may have been the case yesterday, and that's arguable, it is not the case today. Consider the contract that the Bucs just gave to Carl Nicks. Guards are valued in today's NFL and drafting a great one in the top ten gives you a ten year starter that, because of the new CBA, gets you one at a very good contract price.

Will Buffalo draft Reiff because we lost Bell? I don't think so. Buddy thinks Hairston can play. He may not be polished but I can't see them reaching for Reiff if they feel Hairston can do a creditable job this year and be that polished LT next year.

Ummm...Notre Dame/Floyd hater, you propose a WR possibly at 10?? Well who the hell is deserving othernthan Floyd at that spotnwith Blackmon gone?? And as someone stated, Kuechly can play inside or out and would start immediately. Wake up. According to you the Bills should think of nothing but S. Carolina guys. What a joke.

For the love of Marv, how many times do I have to say it.... RILEY REIFF IS A RIGHT TACKLE!

He played Right Tackle in college; never Left. He has short arms. He is a Bryan Bulaga clone. Bryan Bulaga played Right Tackle in college for Iowa and still plays Right Tackle in the pros. We do not need a Right Tackle. We need a left tackle.

Collegiate Left Tackles can be moved to Right Tackle and sometimes Guard. But a collegiate Right Tackle rarely (if ever) upgrades to Left Tackle in the pros.

Seriously people, please stop looking at who most have projected as the next best Tackle after Matt Kallil without doing the homework as to whether or not the player is an actual fit.

....... Tackle.

:thumbdown:

How quickly these fickle fans forget the lessons learned from past drafts... :rolleyes:

DO NOT reach based on need in the 1st round. ESPECIALLY in the top-10.

If Kalil is there, fine. Otherwise, it is Buddy's duty to the franchise to choose the most elite talent on the board with that early pick.

I cant believe anyone would be willing to settle for a "lesser" player after the travesty of our drafts over the last 15 years. So many great examples listed on the first page. For shame!

For the love of Marv, how many times do I have to say it.... RILEY REIFF IS A RIGHT TACKLE!

He played Right Tackle in college; never Left. He has short arms. He is a Bryan Bulaga clone. Bryan Bulaga played Right Tackle in college for Iowa and still plays Right Tackle in the pros. We do not need a Right Tackle. We need a left tackle.

Collegiate Left Tackles can be moved to Right Tackle and sometimes Guard. But a collegiate Right Tackle rarely (if ever) upgrades to Left Tackle in the pros.

Seriously people, please stop looking at who most have projected as the next best Tackle after Matt Kallil without doing the homeworkas to whether or not the player is an actual fit.

....... Tackle.

He's played LT at Iowa:

Started at left tackle in all 12 games in 2011 and has started 33 consecutive games.

2010 - started all 13 games at left tackle and has 21 consecutive starts

2009 - [ Started 11 of 13 games, with three starts at left tackle, seven at left guard and final game at right tackle

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1695597/riley-reiff

Even the video's on youtube are of him playing LT.

Also, Bulaga:

Bulaga played in 30 games at Iowa, starting 28 contests, including five at left offensive guard and 25 at left tackle …
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1243680 Edited by Carey Bender