The Bell has gonged: Reiff is our guy

'1333564671' post='2430182']

Just keep in mind that we got guys like Jonas Jennings in the 2nd round......and Bell and Peters were complete afterthoughts.[/b] Another thing I am really wondering is just how high the bills are on Hairston actually being the starting LT.....because if he is the guy....then what we are really looking for is a swing OT to bring along behind him.

Yep, exactly! And if we were able to find Hairston in the 4th, I think we can find another OT somewhere in the 2nd-4th range.

This team needs to find TALENT with their first pick, not just plug a whole with "some guy".

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the love of Marv, how many times do I have to say it.... RILEY REIFF IS A RIGHT TACKLE!

He played Right Tackle in college; never Left. He has short arms. He is a Bryan Bulaga clone. Bryan Bulaga played Right Tackle in college for Iowa and still plays Right Tackle in the pros. We do not need a Right Tackle. We need a left tackle.

Collegiate Left Tackles can be moved to Right Tackle and sometimes Guard. But a collegiate Right Tackle rarely (if ever) upgrades to Left Tackle in the pros.

Seriously people, please stop looking at who most have projected as the next best Tackle after Matt Kallil without doing the homework as to whether or not the player is an actual fit.

....... Tackle.

You actually should stop saying it altogether, since that's completely incorrect. A simple youtube search for 2011 Riley Reiff highlights would show you that he played left tackel both junior and senior year at Iowa, as would a simple google search. In fact, he made the switch to left tackle as a sophomore at Iowa after 7 starts at left guard and 1 start at right tackle.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1695597

You are also completely incorrect about Brian Bulaga, who also started at LT for 2 years at Iowa.

http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/bulaga_bryan00.html

You are also completely incorrect about his body type making him incapable of playing LT in the NFL, as you can easily reference guys like Michael Roos, Jordan Gross, Chad Clifton, Donald Penn, Jeff Backus, Matt Light, and Joe Thomas for similar arm length (all between 33 and 33.5"). I cite the Nolan Nawrocki arm length article of yore (which I cannot find the original online, but found it copied on a few message boards):

http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/33866-Arm-length-hand-quickness-dictate-OLT-success

http://www.clanram.com/forums/f85/interesting-take-arm-length-not-much-difference-between-munroe-smith-36123/

In fact, I'd say that you should simply state that your opinion is that he's not suited to play LT in the NFL and leave it at that, since everything you said is pretty much wrong.

So much misinformation and conflicting views out there about Reiff. What I will say is that over the last couple of years, the Bills have done a pretty job finding decent linemen. I trust the Bills talent evaluators to make a good decision about whether or not to draft (or whomever) when the pick comes in at 10. I don't see Buddy reaching.

1333568963[/url]' post='2430280']

Yep, exactly! And if we were able to find Hairston in the 4th, I think we can find another OT somewhere in the 2nd-4th range.

This team needs to find TALENT with their first pick, not just plug a whole with "some guy".

This

Reiff's character issues make him undraftable. (Let alone his inability to play LT in the NFL)

Not undraftable, but definitely someone whose character should be evaluated much more closely than other "clean" prospects.

How quickly these fickle fans forget the lessons learned from past drafts... :rolleyes:

DO NOT reach based on need in the 1st round. ESPECIALLY in the top-10.

If Kalil is there, fine. Otherwise, it is Buddy's duty to the franchise to choose the most elite talent on the board with that early pick.

I cant believe anyone would be willing to settle for a "lesser" player after the travesty of our drafts over the last 15 years. So many great examples listed on the first page. For shame!

Not disagreeing with your basic point, but how will you feel if Nix believes Reiff is the best fit at No. 10? Just curious to hear your opinion...

He's played LT at Iowa:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1695597/riley-reiff

Even the video's on youtube are of him playing LT.

Also, Bulaga:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1243680

Thank you; this has become an all-to-common misconception.

Im not on the floyd wagon.

Id take Ingram/ gilmore then jeffrey @ 41.

And Antonio Allen in the 3rd, Stephen Garcia in the 4th and Joey Scribner-Howard in the 7th. You are true to your name, my friend.

I hate all the posts about how we need to draft Reiff. Why would you reach for a fairly solid guard? At least pick the best guard in the draft if you're going interior lineman! Reiff is far too compact and has too short of arms to be a good OT in this league.

For all the people saying that we shouldn't draft Keuchly, because we need an OLB instead of a MLB, Keuchly projects to any of the three LB spots in a 4-3. If we drafted him, he'd come in and start immediately at OLB.

Gilmore, although good, is by no means BPA and therefore won't be the pick. Unless one of the elite players drop to us, if the Bills go BPA, it will be Keuchly, Decastro, or Floyd. If they go for need, it will be Floyd, Martin or (god forbid) Reiff, or possibly Keuchly.

Nobody is saying Reiff is a guard. RT maybe.

So much misinformation and conflicting views out there about Reiff. What I will say is that over the last couple of years, the Bills have done a pretty job finding decent linemen. I trust the Bills talent evaluators to make a good decision about whether or not to draft (or whomever) when the pick comes in at 10. I don't see Buddy reaching.

I will give you that. No matter what we say here, if the Bills do pick Reiff at 10, we can all be confident that the FO thinks he's the best available player/option.

Not disagreeing with your basic point, but how will you feel if Nix believes Reiff is the best fit at No. 10? Just curious to hear your opinion...

Ha! Was just addressing that in my last post. I trust Nix's expert judgement over my own, and anyone else here. IF Reiff is the pick, I'm fine with it I guess. I may covet other flashier players, but I'll give them the whole draft before judging. I just dont believe that it should be a "guaranteed pick" just because Bell went somewhere else.

Edited by DrDareustein

You actually should stop saying it altogether, since that's completely incorrect. A simple youtube search for 2011 Riley Reiff highlights would show you that he played left tackel both junior and senior year at Iowa, as would a simple google search. In fact, he made the switch to left tackle as a sophomore at Iowa after 7 starts at left guard and 1 start at right tackle.

You are also completely incorrect about Brian Bulaga, who also started at LT for 2 years at Iowa.

http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/bulaga_bryan00.html

You are also completely incorrect about his body type making him incapable of playing LT in the NFL, as you can easily reference guys like Michael Roos, Jordan Gross, Chad Clifton, Donald Penn, Jeff Backus, Matt Light, and Joe Thomas for similar arm length (all between 33 and 33.5"). I cite the Nolan Nawrocki arm length article of yore (which I cannot find the original online, but found it copied on a few message boards):

http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/33866-Arm-length-hand-quickness-dictate-OLT-success

http://www.clanram.com/forums/f85/interesting-take-arm-length-not-much-difference-between-munroe-smith-36123/

In fact, I'd say that you should simply state that your opinion is that he's not suited to play LT in the NFL and leave it at that, since everything you said is pretty much wrong.

Thanks. My BS meter was on 9 and you took care of it for me.

Ha! Was just addressing that in my last post. I trust Nix's expert judgement over my own, and anyone else here. IF Reiff is the pick, I'm fine with it I guess. I may covet other flashier players, but I'll give them the whole draft before judging. I just dont believe that it should be a "guaranteed pick" just because Bell went somewhere else.

That's the exact feeling I have on the whole draft.

How quickly these fickle fans forget the lessons learned from past drafts... :rolleyes:

DO NOT reach based on need in the 1st round. ESPECIALLY in the top-10.

If Kalil is there, fine. Otherwise, it is Buddy's duty to the franchise to choose the most elite talent on the board with that early pick.

I cant believe anyone would be willing to settle for a "lesser" player after the travesty of our drafts over the last 15 years. So many great examples listed on the first page. For shame!

So true. Buddy will be looking for an elite playmaker at 10.

I was responding to reaching for need with the 2nd or 3rd available player.

Technically Whitner doesn't count, since he was the No. 1 guy picked for the DB need, as Jauron made it clear he wanted to build his new defense around the next Mike Brown. Travares Tillman is the better example, since Bills panicked after the run on safeties in that draft.

The Raiders drafted Michael Huff one pick before Whitner.

We are picking Reiff/DeCastro in round 1. If they are both gone that would be quite a bad thing but one or both should still be there . There are 15-20 receivers in this draft with good talent. There are not very many starting tackles. Take the lineman or you don't get one.. Simple as that.

Regardless of the perceived need, I doubt The Bills take Reiff and I SERIOUSLY doubt they take DeCastro...Hairston will start at LT...The Bills will Draft a back-up somewhere between Rounds 2-4...But I'm guessing it will be in the 2nd or 3rd...They can still sign a stop-gap UFA as well for depth...

The other possibility is Trading Down from #10, and collecting an extra 2nd or 3rd...Then I could see them taking a OT in the 1st...But after Kalil there is no value at OT at #10...Just none...Not Reiff, Martin, Adams, or Glenn...And I doubt Buddy reaches knowing there will be a player there at #10 that can step right in and Start immediately (like Gilmore, Floyd, or Kuechly)...Just my opinion...But don't assume it's going to be Reiff or DeCastro...The Bills were prepared to go with Hairston already...And I doubt any of these prospect OT's could beat him out anyway...Hairston was a Rookie last year playing off NO Mini-Camps, a Training Camp injury and he played pretty well...He'll be more experienced, in better shape, and better prepared this year...

Maybe I'm wrong...But I doubt it... B-)

That's exactly it...He's not suited...Even some of his biggest fans, Scouts like Mayock that LOVE the guy, don't feel he's an NFL LT...It's not about his arms, or his build necessarily...It's about his ability to handle speed and power off the edge vs. the best the NFL has to offer at your QB's blindside...I honestly don't think there is any way Reiff could be a better NFL LT than Hairston...Especially as a Rookie, and especially after the experience Hairston got last Season...Just my opinion though... B-)

All S. Carolina players coming from the poster with the handle "CarolinaBill". No bias there, huh? Too funny. If the Bills take Ingram at 10 after their additions in free agency then they are complete morons. And 10 is a bit high for Gilmore too. Jeffery?? Hello James Hardy part 2!!

Ive been pretty upfront about my USC homerism. However, Ingram IS the top rated OLB pass rusher, and we do have a need at olb, its not the most pressing need though. Also, consider the fact that most teams do not run base d for the majority of any game, that means more sub packages where Ingram can line up all over the field and rush the passer. In respect to Gilmore, #10 is not too high for a position of Major need, and considering his resume and skill set. Now, would I like to move down and get him, absolutely, but I dont believe Nix is inclined to do that. Finally, Alshon Jeffrey is NOT james hardy, hes a big physical target, that will go over the middle, high point the ball, which is great in the red zone, he has a knack for finding soft spots in the zone and can win his routes when covered, which means that although he may not always get that coveted separation, hes open even when hes not.

That's exactly it...He's not suited...Even some of his biggest fans, Scouts like Mayock that LOVE the guy, don't feel he's an NFL LT...It's not about his arms, or his build necessarily...It's about his ability to handle speed and power off the edge vs. the best the NFL has to offer at your QB's blindside...I honestly don't think there is any way Reiff could be a better NFL LT than Hairston...Especially as a Rookie, and especially after the experience Hairston got last Season...Just my opinion though... B-)

And if that's your reasoning then so be it; I have absolutely no problem with someone else's honest assessment.

I just refuse to allow the "he's never played LT" and "nobody with 33.5-inch arms can play LT" arguments to be stated without opposition when it's obviously not true.

I myself am not sure if Reiff can play LT, but I'm more open to it than most others appear to be.

Again, I have to trust Nix's judgement on this one.

Ive been pretty upfront about my USC homerism. However, Ingram IS the top rated OLB pass rusher, and we do have a need at olb, its not the most pressing need though. Also, consider the fact that most teams do not run base d for the majority of any game, that means more sub packages where Ingram can line up all over the field and rush the passer. In respect to Gilmore, #10 is not too high for a position of Major need, and considering his resume and skill set. Now, would I like to move down and get him, absolutely, but I dont believe Nix is inclined to do that. Finally, Alshon Jeffrey is NOT james hardy, hes a big physical target, that will go over the middle, high point the ball, which is great in the red zone, he has a knack for finding soft spots in the zone and can win his routes when covered, which means that although he may not always get that coveted separation, hes open even when hes not.

Not for nothin', but go back and read a draft prospect profile of James Hardy...literally what you just wrote here.

And Antonio Allen in the 3rd, Stephen Garcia in the 4th and Joey Scribner-Howard in the 7th. You are true to your name, my friend.

if you want beer pong lessons garcia is the man. Seriously though, after looking at what SHOULD be available, id really like to see Osweiler in the third

And if that's your reasoning then so be it; I have absolutely no problem with someone else's honest assessment.

I just refuse to allow the "he's never played LT" and "nobody with 33.5-inch arms can play LT" arguments to be stated without opposition when it's obviously not true.

I myself am not sure if Reiff can play LT, but I'm more open to it than most others appear to be.

Again, I have to trust Nix's judgement on this one.

Not for nothin', but go back and read a draft prospect profile of James Hardy...literally what you just wrote here.

It should be noted that hardy was a basketballer that tried football, Alshon Spurned Southern Cal for USC, and was very highly recruited, and scouted, this past yr however was a disaster statistically, except tds.

That was probably a reach as well but he at least was a decent player for us. He also looked really good playing for the Niners last year behind a pass rush and knocking out receivers.

He was not at fault for where he was picked but he has proved himself to be a solid but pretty much average safety but average is better than below average and yes he looked impressive for the Niners.

Donte did everything that Bills' coaches asked him to do and at no time was in a position to aggressively becoming an interception machine, which is what this board's naysayers probably wanted out of the #8 pick.

If you look around the league it's easy to see that the draft is really a crap shoot and most teams can count the same number of big time failures that the Bills can. Plus, every team can look at players drafted after their pick and say could of, would of, should of.

That's exactly it...He's not suited...Even some of his biggest fans, Scouts like Mayock that LOVE the guy, don't feel he's an NFL LT...It's not about his arms, or his build necessarily...It's about his ability to handle speed and power off the edge vs. the best the NFL has to offer at your QB's blindside.

After watching the game tape, Mike Mayock...

Mayock initially graded Reiff as the top tackle entering the draft but slotted USC junior-eligible Matt Kalil at No. 1 this week. Mayock said he determined Kalil was a more solid prospect after watching tape on each player.

"I still like Riley Reiff a lot," Mayock said. "I still think he's a starting left tackle in the NFL. I just don't think his upside is as high as Matt Kalil, who's also an underclassman.

http://thegazette.co...ly-top-10-pick/

Later, he said..

On Reif: "To me, he's a little bit overvalued right now. You keep seeing him in the top 10 in a lot of mocks. I don't see that. I feel much more comfortable taking him somewhere in the 20s.

"I think he's a good player who's a right tackle to start with, and ultimately, 2-3 years down the road, could develop into a left tackle. But I don't see him as a guy you could plug in at left tackle Day 1 and say, 'We're good.'"

Edited by Kelly the Dog

We are picking Reiff/DeCastro in round 1. If they are both gone that would be quite a bad thing but one or both should still be there . There are 15-20 receivers in this draft with good talent. There are not very many starting tackles. Take the lineman or you don't get one.. Simple as that.

Draft Tek has him listed at #8. Suppose he goes before #10. What then?

Drafting a player, especially the 2nd or 3rd best one, based only on need has never backed fired.

Signed,

JP Losman, James Hardy, and John McCargo

having a dumb mgmt team makes that stuff happen... so its as much the dumbness factor as the

on need factor.

Hmmm....drafting an OT at #10 is intriguing, and certainly fills a need, but have you heard of that kid from Notre Dame, Michael Floyd? Word on the street is that he is "the bee's knees," as the kids say these days.

what does that mean?

After watching the game tape, Mike Mayock...

http://thegazette.co...ly-top-10-pick/

Later, he said..

Thanks Kelly,

I forgot about Mayock saying he liked Reiff in the 20's...I know what he's saying about Reiff being a LT 2-3 years down the road, but I think that's precisely why you don't Draft the guy at #10 overall...Unless you're 100% sure he's a LT, there's not value in this Kid at #10...

I know Reiff is a better prospect coming out...But if The Bills would not take Bulaga at #8 overall a couple years ago when they had HUGE O-Line needs, I don't think they take Reiff at #10 this year... Unless of course they think he can beat out Hairston at LT...And I don't think there's a chance that Reiff will be a better LT as a Rookie than Hairston...#75 will be in his 2nd year with 7 Starts in the NFL at LT already under his belt...Hairston has a chance to make a BIG jump this year with a full off-season, mini-camps, etc...I really feel the reason The Bills low-balled Bell was because they actually have confidence in Hairston...And if that's the case there is no value in Reiff, or any other OT not named Kalil at #10 overall...

I'm just not buying this OT at #10 momentum...Bell or no Bell...We'll see though...I reserve the right to be completely wrong... ;)

Still on the Floyd (prima donna) bandwagon Homer ?? Especially since we don't need a LT but we do need a knucklehead when there's 15-20 receivers just like him in the draft :wallbash:

You didn't answer my question about Reiff getting trouble compared to Floyd? Also how is Floyd a primadonna? I don't know too many prima donnas who were janitors while playing football for a major program.

Still on the Floyd (prima donna) bandwagon Homer ?? Especially since we don't need a LT but we do need a knucklehead when there's 15-20 receivers just like him in the draft :wallbash:

15-20 WRs like Floyd....wow. it must suck to have your opinions. you must be wrong a lot.

Show me where I mentioned Floyd in this thread? How am I a bandwagon fan? I've met Floyd, does that put me on a bandwagon? Or would it be the fact that I actually went to the same school as he did? Yes, I can see I'm really late jumping on the Floyd bandwagon. I struggle to find you making a single logical or coherent point on this board.

Here's the strained thread of your logic.

1- We need an LT

2- We will draft DeCastro or Reiff. DeCastro is a Guard and Reiff is a RT.

3- Your point having being excoriated, you proceed to attack other people.

[/quote name=MOVALLEYRANDY' timestamp='1333559436' post='2430039]

A M E N :thumbsup:

I completely trust Buddy. I trust him so much that I know he won't draft Reiff at number 10.

I totally agree. Reiff is not equipped with the natural talent necessary to become a starting quality NFL left tackle.

I even find his inline blocking to be very underwhelming. He gets very little movement from what I've seen.

The 110 plays I watched of him against Nebraska and Oklahoma were shockingly mediocre.

Iowa runs about half the time and 90% of their pass plays are play action.

Also, 90% of their pass plays are 3 and 5 step drops.

They almost never throw the ball out of shotgun and/or use a 7-step drop.

In those two games, they almost never put Reiff on an island on obvious passing downs.

Nebraska had no one capable of rushing the passer. Oklahoma had two guys with pass rush skills and Reiff had his hands full with both of them.

This guy is a guard because he doesn't have the talent to play on the left side and he doesn't have the power to play right tackle.

JMO.

Thanks Kelly,

I forgot about Mayock saying he liked Reiff in the 20's...I know what he's saying about Reiff being a LT 2-3 years down the road, but I think that's precisely why you don't Draft the guy at #10 overall...Unless you're 100% sure he's a LT, there's not value in this Kid at #10...

I know Reiff is a better prospect coming out...But if The Bills would not take Bulaga at #8 overall a couple years ago when they had HUGE O-Line needs, I don't think they take Reiff at #10 this year... Unless of course they think he can beat out Hairston at LT...And I don't think there's a chance that Reiff will be a better LT as a Rookie than Hairston...#75 will be in his 2nd year with 7 Starts in the NFL at LT already under his belt...Hairston has a chance to make a BIG jump this year with a full off-season, mini-camps, etc...I really feel the reason The Bills low-balled Bell was because they actually have confidence in Hairston...And if that's the case there is no value in Reiff, or any other OT not named Kalil at #10 overall...

I'm just not buying this OT at #10 momentum...Bell or no Bell...We'll see though...I reserve the right to be completely wrong... ;)

I agree with pretty much all of that. I am not overly impressed with Reiff either. I wouldn't mind if Nix drafted him at 10 though because that means that Nix thinks Reiff can start at LT on day one whether or not other draftniks do. He's not going to reach to take a LT at 10, but he will take one if he thinks one of these guys can be a solid starting LT in the NFL right away. He said there are 2-3 of those (with one of them obviously Kalil).

But if he likes a guy more than the guy(s) he thinks can start at LT, whether it is Reiff, Martin, Adams, or Glenn, like Kirpatrick or Floyd or Keuchly or someone else at a position of need that can start, IMO he takes the best of the BPA at position of need between LT, WR, CB and LB, in that order of need.