Mario Williams: Officially a Buffalo Bill

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, Jim Kelly's nephew tweeted this a few moments ago:

@chadkelly12

Wow just found out something pretty impressive, looks like the Bills will be very good next year! I cant wait to watch the new team!

I thought Chad Kelly had his Twitter taken away?

Darius should have gone to dinner with them as well. Maybe even a Merriam or barnett. Unsure of why it was just Kyle.

Also with meachem. It might just a case of him not appreciating his date esing the d of the person next to him. He would be the no 2 in buffalo and just a tag along to the Darius date. Willing to bet sd is considering him the number one

E) On the first flight out of here looking for another team to come close to the contract the Bills threw it at him.

I really, really, really wish I could believe...but its not happening now. It just isnt.

Chill out. Almost every report at 4 yesterday said no signing would occur lastnight

Kyle Williams just said on GR that he has a good feeling about M. Williams and WILL see him again today.

I found some of his other comments interesting. Asked what seemed important to Mario, Kyle mentioned that Mario's recently engaged so he was asking how the wives/girlfriends of players lives are. Asked about the DLine room and the locker room vibe in general. They discussed the fact that, should Mario become a Bill, there's no reason they should not be the best D-Line in football. Mario wants to join a team that's already strong up the middle to take heat off him. He wants to be a piece that gets a team to the next level, not necessarily THE MAN to do it all.

To end it, Kyle suggested a chain of people should lie down on the tarmac and prevent him from leaving if it comes to that :)

FWIW, Jim Kelly's nephew tweeted this a few moments ago:

@chadkelly12

Wow just found out something pretty impressive, looks like the Bills will be very good next year! I cant wait to watch the new team!

Has he been a reliable source of information in the past?

I found some of his other comments interesting. Asked what seemed important to Mario, Kyle mentioned that Mario's recently engaged so he was asking how the wives/girlfriends of players lives are. Asked about the DLine room and the locker room vibe in general. They discussed the fact that, should Mario become a Bill, there's no reason they should not be the best D-Line in football. Mario wants to join a team that's already strong up the middle to take heat off him. He wants to be a piece that gets a team to the next level, not necessarily THE MAN to do it all.

To end it, Kyle suggested a chain of people should lie down on the tarmac and prevent him from leaving if it comes to that :)

Awesome. :)

I think we have a good chance... not guaranteed, obviously... but it seems like some good things are being said/talked about.

Darius should have gone to dinner with them as well. Maybe even a Merriam or barnett. Unsure of why it was just Kyle.

Also with meachem. It might just a case of him not appreciating his date esing the d of the person next to him. He would be the no 2 in buffalo and just a tag along to the Darius date. Willing to bet sd is considering him the number one

It's because Kyle was the only one who was in town at the time

this is textbook on how one news service slightly gives a different meaning relaying info from another news service...

in this case, PFT is getting its info from jason lacanfora...of NFL network....

here is exactly what jason said

Williams not expected to reach terms with Bills quite yet

Posted: March 13th, 2012 | Jason La Canfora | Tags: 2012 free agency, Buffalo Bills, Mario Williams

Mario Williams opened the free-agency period with a visit to Buffalo, but he’s not expected to reach terms with the Bills on Tuesday night, according to a league source.

Williams will receive a huge amount of guaranteed money, perhaps a record-setting amount (it could be close to $50 million), in any deal. He also will spend a considerable amount of time with the Bills, but has at least one other visit scheduled for this week.

The fact that Williams visited the Bills first and is spending time with them, and the fact that the team has $23 million in salary-cap space, would make Buffalo a serious threat to land Williams. But the Bills haven’t been winning, and something else could develop. For example, something could happen with the Bears, who remain a viable option.

Follow Jason La Canfora on Twitter @JasonLaCanfora

he has signed "quite yet"....(i'm not alarmed, i would sleep on it too).

he has "at least one other visit scheduled" ( i'm not alarmed, would already expect that).

" He also will spend a considerable amount of time with the Bills" (he hasn't left yet).

here is PFT's link:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/13/report-mario-williams-leaving-buffalo-without-signing-will-visit-others/

The Buffalo Bills appear to have fallen short in their quest to make a big splash on the opening day of free agency with the biggest free agent contract ever given to a defensive player. (thats a pretty big leap of faith based on the facts).

and here is what PFT is saying this morning.....

Kyle said he told Mario that if he joins the Bills they’ll have the best defensive line in the NFL, and that Mario seemed to agree with that assessment.

Although Mario has reportedly scheduled at least one other visit that he wants to make before any decision about his future, the Bills will give him another pitch this morning before he leaves town. And it’s still possible that Mario won’t leave town at all, at least not until after he’s been introduced as Kyle’s newest teammate.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/14/bills-kyle-williams-optimistic-mario-williams-will-join-team/

It's because Kyle was the only one who was in town at the time

I have to believe it was more than that. A simple phone call could have solved that. I'd guess there was a further connection they were going for. Even something simple like a common interest the two shared and could talk about, personality types etc... If they left the choice to "hey who's in the weight room - hey Kyle, want to come to dinner?" then something really is wrong.

Kyle and other hurt players have been rehabbing at the Ralph since the beginning of the off season.

Edited by Hammered a Lot

Until he leaves town I'm not worried. We still have first-mover advantage, and Williams will get his money no matter where he goes.

If he wasn't seriously considering Buffalo, he wouldn't have come here in the first place. He has no need to "drive up his cost", as he's going to get $100M+ over 6-7 years, with $45M+ guaranteed, regardless of who signs him.

It ain't over until the pen hits the paper.

Until he leaves town I'm not worried. We still have first-mover advantage, and Williams will get his money no matter where he goes.

If he wasn't seriously considering Buffalo, he wouldn't have come here in the first place. He has no need to "drive up his cost", as he's going to get $100M+ over 6-7 years, with $45M+ guaranteed, regardless of who signs him.

It ain't over until the pen hits the paper.

What is "first mover advantage?"

I have to believe it was more than that. A simple phone call could have solved that. I'd guess there was a further connection they were going for. Even something simple like a common interest the two shared and could talk about, personality types etc... If they left the choice to "hey who's in the weight room - hey Kyle, want to come to dinner?" then something really is wrong.

I suspect the Bills know Kyle and Mario have a prior relationship based on being on the same Pro Bowl squad. They did hug upon arrival at Tempo, so my guess is it's likely that prior relationship.

To those saying he's not worth the money: He alone might not be. Hell, one could argue no one is worth $100MM to play football. This is about that huge name signing. Taking a shot. Being able to land the big name and start to make Buffalo attractive to other big names is a piece of it to me. But it doesn't hurt that Mario is one of the most dominant players in this generation.

I really wonder what team this is that keeps getting mentioned.

I posted earlier that I think it's really curious that they keep mentioning he has a visit scheduled, but no one can figure out with *whom* he's visiting. I would imagine the Bears, after the Marshall trade and Campbell signing, are not contenders in terms of most money. I think some reports have said they're not even trying at this point. TN? SEA? Or maybe his agent keeps leaking that there's visits scheduled to keep the pressure on Buffalo to offer as much as possible as quickly as possible?....