Mario Williams: Officially a Buffalo Bill

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't invite Meachem in for a visit unless you think he is signing, its that simple.

Obviously, we did think we could sign him. And obviously, he was just using us for leverage. And it worked great for him, he got 6.5M a year which is a nice haul for a man with his stats.

There are always other options, but its clear this was the Bills prime WR target. I don't care about not signing him. I just don't understand why the hell they flew him into town to have dinner with the big prize (Williams), thus drawing attention to the entire process and giving off the idea that the two would be signing together.....only to watch him sign with the f*cking Chargers while in Buffalo (if you don't think he signed/agreed to terms while still in the city..you crazy). That is what worries me about their approach to FA in general, just not having their ducks in a row. You don't invite Meachem in for a visit unless you think he is signing, its that simple.

Couldn't disagree with you more.

Free agents often visit teams without signing with them.

Manning visited the Broncos. He hasn't signed anywhere yet. A visit is a visit, not a guarantee of a signing.

This happens all the time.

The Bills made a big effort to wine and dine Meachem and give the big sales pitch.

There's more shame in not trying than in failing, IMO.

Manning visited the Broncos. He hasn't signed anywhere yet. A visit is a visit, not a guarantee of a signing.

The Bills made a big effort to wine and dine Meachem and give the big sales pitch.

I agree with this. If they aren't trying than they already failed. The more they try at these, the better chance they have at improving the team.

And I wasn't thrilled about meachum, I think he is ok and he would have been an upgrade over Jones... But at what the chargers are paying him, hell no. Would rather use that to help bring in Mario Williams. I would like meachum, but with a much more modest contract. They can get someone just as good for a lower rate, or stick with what we have. He wouldn't have upgraded the offense that much

Edited by DanInUticaTampa

Great point. Let's also remember that in addition to Denver, Miami and Phoenix also had a FA in with no ink. KC got a big stiffarm from Manning. It's called a seller's market and it happens folks!

Obviously, we did think we could sign him. And obviously, he was just using us for leverage. And it worked great for him, he got 6.5M a year which is a nice haul for a man with his stats.

I don't think he was using our offer per se for leverage. He was decidedly second-tier among the FA WRs out there. His agent thought it would be smart to have him on a plane somewhere, anywhere, as soon as FA started so that he'd be in the news and whatever team lost a WR first (SD) could be able to say they replaced him with a player who was "in demand." For all we know right now, Buddy was in on the whole thing, and now he can go after who he wants knowing that SD already blew its nut on Meachem. Hey, seriously. For all we know.

Also, for all we know, the Chargers faxed their offer to Meachem at 4 pm and when they landed in Buffalo, the agent said "can you beat this?" and Buddy replied "no, but I'll tell you what YOU can beat."

Two things:

1 - If Mario leaves without signing, it's over. Buffalo isn't going to let him use our offer for leverage and he clearly thinks there is something better for him out there than top money. And yes, this would be the largest smack in the face to this organization in a long time.

2 - DDDDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!

Settle down Mr Sky is Falling. Read the article on nfl.com. He was scheduled to visit another team even before he came here. You're reading way to much into it.

I agree with this. If they aren't trying than they already failed. The more they try at these, the better chance they have at improving the team.

And I wasn't thrilled about meachum, I think he is ok and he would have been an upgrade over Jones... But at what the chargers are paying him, hell no. Would rather use that to help bring in Mario Williams. I would like meachum, but with a much more modest contract. They can get someone just as good for a lower rate, or stick with what we have. He wouldn't have upgraded the offense that much

You're right...Meachem is not the game-changeing signing that Mario would be.

If the Bills sign Mario Williams tomorrow, no one will even remember Meachem was in town.

A bills fan living close to new Orleans, I hate the saints simply for the fact that when.I moved down here no one liked the saints, then they win and evry1 had banners in the yard. So I was bragging all day about signing meachem...now he's in S.D. and Williams is wanting to meet other teams

Is it the Bills fault? Probably not. But I would have preferred they didn't let themselves get put into this position.

I mean, name me one situation in the past 10 years (or ever) where a player takes a highly publicized meeting with a team on the first day of free agency and immediately signs with another team hours later. Especially a team he hasn't visited. It just looks terrible, no matter how you spin it. I think Mario gets done, despite this. But...man...its frustrating to see your team get played like that.

Now we're getting somewhere.

A lot of people are taking this like some sort of personal humiliation.

I think this reflects very poorly on Robert Meachem, not the Buffalo Bills.

Settle down Mr Sky is Falling. Read the article on nfl.com. He was scheduled to visit another team even before he came here. You're reading way to much into it.

I think he's right. Of course he was scheduled to meet with other teams, most high profile FA's say that. If he leaves town tomorrow without signing a contract, you're in serious denial if you think he's coming back. I hate to be a downer, but that's the reality of the situation as I see it.

I think he's right. Of course he was scheduled to meet with other teams, most high profile FA's say that. If he leaves town tomorrow without signing a contract, you're in serious denial if you think he's coming back. I hate to be a downer, but that's the reality of the situation as I see it.

That is still a big "if" at this point

Well you and others are agonizing over appearances… and I understand that.

I guess it's hard to separate ourselves from our favorite team.

But you shouldn't take it like that.

What happened with the Bills and Meachem doesn't define you in any way, nor does it define the Bills.

I do understand your criticism though. As far as that goes I think with all the free agents flying around and all the competition for them that a team has to multi-task a bit.

I LOVE that the Bills were aggressive and ambitious.

Had they landed both, it would have been a huge story.

If they land only Williams, it still will be.

Meachum Smeachum........Does anyone really care about Robert Meachum? No He is a average WR who drops balls and benefited from Brees and Sean Payton....IMO I could care less if he signed or not......Hey Meachum have fun with that 7-9 Chargers team for the next few years.

This is all about Mario Williams he signs we win.......he goes elsewhere back to the DE in the draft (you know, all those conversations we had for the last 2 months)