Mario Williams: Officially a Buffalo Bill

Today, being March 13th, so he should have said tonight. As far as whats been reported, he's staying Buffalo for the night. So there is still a chance

Yeah, Tom Brady recommended a great hotel for him.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sign or be hated. Wow. I wonder why these guys are not dying to sign with the team. I guess every one of you took a new job just because it was offered to you or someone expressed interest. You all probably moved your families to a new town immediately as well. I will get flamed but San Diego vs Buffalo and San Diego wins everytime especially when San Diego throws more money at you. Stop acting like 14 year old girls and man up. Seriously Robert Meachum not signing with the Buffalo Bills is nt the end of the world.

@Union2008, read the article on nfl.com which I can't link from mobile. He was scheduled to meet with at least one other team all along. What youre posting is simply wrong. And What the bills wanted to do by Friday was irrelevant to his plans.

Let's be realistic though. Previously scheduled meetings get cancelled when a player decides to sign. Bills have gone on record that they are willing to offer Mario top $$ so money is not an issue.

You see how fast Meachum signed (it was a lot more money from what I hear).

Mario not signing yesterday says to me he has some doubts about coming here. This team was 6-10 and still hasn't proved anything yet, so Mario would be taking a pretty big chance coming here. He's a premier talent and he probably wants to win a superbowl. Will playing here during his prime years give him a great chance at a superbowl? And this has nothing to do with the image of the city.

If he's still in town there's hope, if he leaves there's still a chance but probably a better chance he signs elsewhere for less money.

It doesn't look good for Buffalo if Williams leaves for other interviews. It's clear that he did what many people on message boards said he was doing - using Buffalo as leverage to get the most money possible. In my opinion you can pretty much kiss his butt goodbye. And if he does sign a monster deal elsewhere let's hope his injury problems continue -- good riddance.

You CANNOT blame Buddy or anyone else in this organization though. They've attempted to do what this team NEVER has tried to do -- go out and get the best player available to help this team.

This is pissing me off so much. We don't know for sure about anything at this point. Now that Meachum is gone, that Buscaglia report is now void. The Bills may "expect to sign Williams" but we don't even know who else is out there because nobody knows anything!

One shred of hope I'm hanging onto is the timeline of Barnett's signing last year. IIRC, he spent a night, had a visit with the Lions also scheduled, toured training camp/facilities and met with staff and players and decided to sign here.

Edited by jimmyo

One shred of hope I'm hanging onto is the timeline of Barnett's signing last year. IIRC, he spent a night, had a visit with the Lions also scheduled, toured training camp/facilities and met with staff and players and decided to sign here.

a SHRED of hope?

meachem signed last night because jackson left for tampa and san diego had to move fast.

it does not impact the mario situation at all.

today, he wakes up, he gets taken to the ralph, we check him out, we ask him what it takes to get it done, he says something outlandish, we counter with an additional 5-10 million in upfront dollars from our original deal, presser at noon.

people worried about "he doesnt want to play in buffalo."

its money.

we will spend whatever it takes to get him, we will not be outbid. if chicago offers more, if seattle offers more, if new england offers more, we will counter with more.

if, after that, he elects to play elsewhere for less, so be it.

nix did not counter the meachem offer, because he's a smart gm. you don't break the banks for meachems.

Let's be realistic though. Previously scheduled meetings get cancelled when a player decides to sign. Bills have gone on record that they are willing to offer Mario top $$ so money is not an issue.

You see how fast Meachum signed (it was a lot more money from what I hear).

Mario not signing yesterday says to me he has some doubts about coming here. This team was 6-10 and still hasn't proved anything yet, so Mario would be taking a pretty big chance coming here. He's a premier talent and he probably wants to win a superbowl. Will playing here during his prime years give him a great chance at a superbowl? And this has nothing to do with the image of the city.

If he's still in town there's hope, if he leaves there's still a chance but probably a better chance he signs elsewhere for less money.

Of course a bird in the hand is better than one flying around to other cities. But the point is no new information was conveyed wih the release he's going to visit another team as he had planned it along. Even if he favors buffalo it would be protocol to honor his commitment to visit the other team and give them a proper hearing.

This is the problem. It's not ALL about money.

Mario Williams is going to get paid, everyone knows this. But he's going to take the Bills huge offer to a playoff contender and tell them to get in the ballpark. If they do, he'll pick them over us...guaranteed. I actually think there is zero chance that Mario Williams signs here now. It really sucks to say this everyone, but its clear we were being used by both players to help them secure spots with other teams. It sucks, but its true.

a SHRED of hope?

meachem signed last night because jackson left for tampa and san diego had to move fast.

it does not impact the mario situation at all.

today, he wakes up, he gets taken to the ralph, we check him out, we ask him what it takes to get it done, he says something outlandish, we counter with an additional 5-10 million in upfront dollars from our original deal, presser at noon.

people worried about "he doesnt want to play in buffalo."

its money.

we will spend whatever it takes to get him, we will not be outbid. if chicago offers more, if seattle offers more, if new england offers more, we will counter with more.

if, after that, he elects to play elsewhere for less, so be it.

nix did not counter the meachem offer, because he's a smart gm. you don't break the banks for meachems.

"Shred" may be a bit dramatic, but you get my point. Also, agreed re: Meachem. We can find a 600-yard receiver deep in the draft. We ain't gonna find an instant world-class pass rush quite so easily.

"Among the teams that are reportedly still hoping to get an audience with Williams are the Bears and the Titans. Some team will almost certainly make Williams the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history, and that team might be the Bills. But it won’t be today."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/13/report-mario-williams-leaving-buffalo-without-signing-will-visit-others/'>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/13/report-mario-williams-leaving-buffalo-without-signing-will-visit-others/

this is textbook on how one news service slightly gives a different meaning relaying info from another news service...

in this case, PFT is getting its info from jason lacanfora...of NFL network....

here is exactly what jason said

Williams not expected to reach terms with Bills quite yet

Posted: March 13th, 2012 | Jason La Canfora | Tags: 2012 free agency, Buffalo Bills, Mario Williams

Mario Williams opened the free-agency period with a visit to Buffalo, but he’s not expected to reach terms with the Bills on Tuesday night, according to a league source.

Williams will receive a huge amount of guaranteed money, perhaps a record-setting amount (it could be close to $50 million), in any deal. He also will spend a considerable amount of time with the Bills, but has at least one other visit scheduled for this week.

The fact that Williams visited the Bills first and is spending time with them, and the fact that the team has $23 million in salary-cap space, would make Buffalo a serious threat to land Williams. But the Bills haven’t been winning, and something else could develop. For example, something could happen with the Bears, who remain a viable option.

Follow Jason La Canfora on Twitter @JasonLaCanfora

he has signed "quite yet"....(i'm not alarmed, i would sleep on it too).

he has "at least one other visit scheduled" ( i'm not alarmed, would already expect that).

" He also will spend a considerable amount of time with the Bills" (he hasn't left yet).

here is PFT's link:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/13/report-mario-williams-leaving-buffalo-without-signing-will-visit-others/

The Buffalo Bills appear to have fallen short in their quest to make a big splash on the opening day of free agency with the biggest free agent contract ever given to a defensive player. (thats a pretty big leap of faith based on the facts).

Edited by papazoid

I actually think there is zero chance that Mario Williams signs here now.

keep the faith brother.

drew bledsoe

TO

takeo spikes

bryce paup

we've made a splash before.

i couldn't believe it for the life of me when we signed both TO and traded for bledsoe.

the difference? i wasnt looking for second-by-second updates on the situation.

right now, as we speak, mario williams is either

a) taking a **** on a buffalo toilet

b) resting his head on a buffalo pillow

c) eating a buffalo breakfast

or

d) having relations in the shower with a buffalo hotel worker

in 6 hours, he's going to finalize this process and be a buffalo bill. don't worry.

keep the faith brother.

drew bledsoe

TO

takeo spikes

bryce paup

we've made a splash before.

i couldn't believe it for the life of me when we signed both TO and traded for bledsoe.

the difference? i wasnt looking for second-by-second updates on the situation.

right now, as we speak, mario williams is either

a) taking a **** on a buffalo toilet

b) resting his head on a buffalo pillow

c) eating a buffalo breakfast

or

d) having relations in the shower with a buffalo hotel worker

in 6 hours, he's going to finalize this process and be a buffalo bill. don't worry.

E) On the first flight out of here looking for another team to come close to the contract the Bills threw it at him.

I really, really, really wish I could believe...but its not happening now. It just isnt.

To the "Let's not blame Buddy crowd":

Who said he had to show us the baby? Well to get a baby a lot of things have to happen first and if a guy like Robert Meachem walks while Buddy is simply trying to cop a feel then a baby is a long way off.

Plus, why on earth would a GM bring a boo boo foot to help sign someone? Kyle was probably ripping Dorito farts all dinner wrong and souring the air. I think bringing Bruce Smith to dinner would have been a better idea.

FWIW, Jim Kelly's nephew tweeted this a few moments ago:

@chadkelly12

Wow just found out something pretty impressive, looks like the Bills will be very good next year! I cant wait to watch the new team!