Trader Bill Polian and son available

BillsVet

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Polian Neglected the defense in Buffalo and did same with Colts. Sorry I want a GM that focuses on building a team and addressing weaknesses. The colts win because of Manning and their drafting and FA work of late has been suspect.

The Packers, Saints and Patriots aren't exactly setting the world on fire in terms of defense. Do their GM's suck?

Polian Neglected the defense in Buffalo and did same with Colts. Sorry I want a GM that focuses on building a team and addressing weaknesses. The colts win because of Manning and their drafting and FA work of late has been suspect.

What ????? His first pick was Bruce & he was instrumental in bringing Bennett here plus any number of others what team that Pollian built in B-lo were you watching ??

I don't think it was the same one that i was watching even though i don't think he would come & Ralph is way to stubborn to admit he screwed up so we can just forget all that !!!

Is that why he drafted Bruce Smith, traded for Cornelius Bennett, drafted Shane Conlan, Henry Jones, and Phil Hansen?

Walt Corey was a big reason that defensive unit wasn't outstanding, not Bill Polian.

Didn't they lose SEVERAL defensive starters this year?

LOL he neglected defense but build a ridiculously DEEP team that went to 4 Super Bowls, and the men who worked under him helped to keep the team successful after he left. Unless Polian finds a way to get blackballed by 31 NFL teams, be will never work for Ralph Wilson again. Sadly, I can't blame the guy.

The odds of Polian coming back to Buffalo are slim and none, and slim just left town gents! That said... anyone who can seriously attempt to make any argument why we should not want Polian back is completely out of their gourd. Polian is one of the greatest team builders the league has ever seen, period. Just for the sake of argument... IF Polian did come back, we would be a contender again in short order.

The man supposedly called the owners late daughter the C word, dunno about you but I were owner I'd rather not even speak to him again.

Besides, Bill Polian was the PRESIDENT at Indy, his son was the GM.

RW is the current president of the Buffalo Bills.... kinda why they are in the shape they have been in the last 7 years

Is that why he drafted Bruce Smith, traded for Cornelius Bennett, drafted Shane Conlan, Henry Jones, and Phil Hansen?

Walt Corey was a big reason that defensive unit wasn't outstanding, not Bill Polian.

Ralph fired Polian, he's not hiring some guy he fired forever ago.

You'll be able to tell the age of Bills fans by how many "We should hire Polian" threads you see in the next few weeks.

Those of you who remember how the story played out know that John Butler's got a better chance of coming back as GM than Polian.

And for those of you who don't know who John Butler is, don't bother Googling his name because he's be dead for a while.

Ralph also fired Lou Saban... Then rehired him!

Nope. Saban quit. Twice. That is why he is not on the wall.

Nope...

Colts are absolute crap without Peyton. How good of a GM is that?

Yeah.

7 straight years of drafting between 28 and 32 will take its toll on a team.

The odds of Polian coming back to Buffalo are slim and none, and slim just left town gents! That said... anyone who can seriously attempt to make any argument why we should not want Polian back is completely out of their gourd. Polian is one of the greatest team builders the league has ever seen, period. Just for the sake of argument... IF Polian did come back, we would be a contender again in short order.

I can't argue with bringing BILL Polian back as GM, but I would not want him and his GM son to come with him. I've got to wonder if Indy's dearth of talent is mostly because Bill trusted his son too much to evaluate and bring in the talent.

Bill Polian built a bad football team. Without Manning they are the worst team in football. Without Brady the Patriots were 11-5. Now consider the fact that the Colts are right up on the cap limit and are the worst team in football. Polian at this point in time is more legend than legitimate. Take away the Manning pick and how great exactly is his drafting.

Here's a look at their other injuries back in October

For a second consecutive season the Colts cannot buy a break from the injury bug. The injured reserve list already includes starting linebacker Gary Brackett, starting strong safety Melvin Bullitt, rookie tackle Benjamin Ijalana, fullback Chris Gronkowski, veteran quarterback Kerry Collins, backup guard Jaimie Thomas, and rotational defensive tackle Eric Foster.  This, of course, does not include those players who are still active but have missed games (Peyton Manning, Anthony Castonzo, Joseph Addai, Drake Nevis, Ryan Diem).

http://www.coltzilla.com/2011-regular-season/mocking-the-colts-injured-reserve-list-grows/

How bad their roster was hit is totally under reported.

Edited by NoSaint

Here's a look at their other injuries back in October

For a second consecutive season the Colts cannot buy a break from the injury bug. The injured reserve list already includes starting linebacker Gary Brackett, starting strong safety Melvin Bullitt, rookie tackle Benjamin Ijalana, fullback Chris Gronkowski, veteran quarterback Kerry Collins, backup guard Jaimie Thomas, and rotational defensive tackle Eric Foster.  This, of course, does not include those players who are still active but have missed games (Peyton Manning, Anthony Castonzo, Joseph Addai, Drake Nevis, Ryan Diem).

http://www.coltzilla.com/2011-regular-season/mocking-the-colts-injured-reserve-list-grows/

How bad their roster was hit is totally under reported.

Forget the context, I mean, excuses. Every team should be prepared to win with its 3rd string QB.

Kind of ironic Polian gets out of Buffalo because of Ralph's nepotism with his daughter, now Polian gets run because of his nepotism with the Colts.

This is just not true. And I point it out every time I see it posted here. Polian left for no other reason than the years of butting heads with Littman over compensation issues. From Jim Kelly to matching the Broncos offer to Bruce Smith in '89, to the Will Wilford fiasco, he was always at odds with Littman and he often went ballistic around the office. Something he's been known to do wherever he's been. His arguments with Linda Bogdan, which he'd had since she was hired in 1986 as well as other staffers during his tenure, had nothing to do with him leaving Buffalo.

GO BILLS!!!

Bill Polian built a bad football team.

given indy's win/loss record over the past decade and their super bowl victory, i think it's more than fair to say that polian's built a winning team there.

we should be so lucky as to have him (again).

I wouldn't want him here with his son. BTW the Colts are not in any way shape or form an "old" team, actually they are one of the youngest in the league. Sure they lost Peyton and many many others to injuries this year, and that has been the excuse but there is more to it. Irsay just saved them from being very bad for a long time.

Why is this such a surprise? Losing 1 player should not spiral a team down to rock bottom. And if it does, then it means that the GM was inept at or ignoring the rest of the team. Polian didn't build this team right, plain and simple.

They won 10 games 11 times in 14 years - he didn't build the team right? LOL! WTF u smoking man? If thats not building a team right, what the hell do you call the mess the Bills have been in the past 12 years? :wallbash: 141-67 during Polian era, won 67.8% of the time.

Edited by Azucho98

IMO, I'd put Newsome, Ted Thompson, The Saints' GM, Pittsburgh' GM, AJ Smith, Belichick all over Polian. Additionally, there is little question Cincy Gm's did a much better job this year.

I'm not saying Polian isn't good. I just think he is extremely overrated. Kelly and Manning both were essentially OCs. A truly great GM doesn't build a team that relies on one player. The Pats went 11-5 without their HOF QB. The Ravens are contenders without a stud QB. Pittsburgh always goes to the playoffs no matter who is coaching or playing QB.

Peyton Manning made Bill Polian's tenure in Indy. IF the Bills wrere lucky enough to suck that year of the draft and got the #1 pick, fans would think John Butler (if that was our GM at the time) was some god GM.

He also drafted these guys:

James, Clark, Wayne, Triplette, Mathis, Freeney, Sanders, Bethea.......

Silly post

Why is this such a surprise? Losing 1 player should not spiral a team down to rock bottom. And if it does, then it means that the GM was inept at or ignoring the rest of the team. Polian didn't build this team right, plain and simple.

It's not quite that simple. A few things to consider:

>> VERY FEW teams in the NFL could lose their Future Hall of Fame starting quarterback before the season, and still have a good season. The position is simply too important, and it's not easy to find a good one. A lot of teams don't have ONE good quarterback, much less two.

>> I remember hearing Jeff Saturday say earlier this season that the Colts run the most complicated offense in the league. That cannot be understated. Saturday said he didn't believe anyone in the NFL could just step on the field and run it successfully. And he said that with Kerry Collins (a 16-year NFL veteran) as the starter. Losing Manning's talent was one thing. But the Colts also lost the ability to simply RUN their regular offense.

>> Also consider that in early September, the Colts still thought Manning was going to play in Week 1. Within a span of DAYS, there were questions that he was going on I.R. The Colts didn't have a lot of time to prepare anyone else to run the team. They suddenly had the choice to start Curtis Painter (a guy with no NFL starts in two seasons) or sign a guy off the street.

>> People seem to have understand the Colts offense stinking without Manning, but they can't believe the Colts defense playing so bad. What they forget is that Indianapolis built the whole team around Manning and his unique talents. The defensive scheme (a Cover-2 variation with heavy pressure) is specifically designed to play with a lead. After all, Manning and the offense was a virtual lock for 25-30 points each week. Suddenly, the team is struggling to put up 10. The defense couldn't play their game either.

>> The Colts have been a Super Bowl contender for the last 10+ years. They are a veteran team used to winning and playing long into January. When the season spiraled out of control, it's clear that those veterans quit on the season.

Simply put, I don't think Polian can be blamed here.

First of all, I don't believe the team is anywhere near as bad as they looked this season. They still have a lot of talent.

Also consider that Polian hasn't had a top draft pick in well over a decade. That limits the ability to restock a team with impact players. His cap room is tied up in veteran stars (Manning, Wayne, Saturday, Clark, Freeney, Mathis), which limits his ability to grab talent in free agency.

Edited by mjt328

With all due respect, this is one of the most tortuous examples of Polian Derangement Syndrome I have seen in a while.

If I understand what you are saying, you are claiming that the Colts relied too heavily on one player AND did not really understand this one essential player's medical condition AND had a team full of veterans who were of such questionable commitment that they could simply quit on the team AND have drafted ineffectively for several years, and yet none of this is the responsibility of or reflects at all negatively on the man who is generally credited with selecting and managing the team's drafts and players.

OK

:rolleyes:

It's not quite that simple. A few things to consider:

>> VERY FEW teams in the NFL could lose their Future Hall of Fame starting quarterback before the season, and still have a good season. The position is simply too important, and it's not easy to find a good one. A lot of teams don't have ONE good quarterback, much less two.

>> I remember hearing Jeff Saturday say earlier this season that the Colts run the most complicated offense in the league. That cannot be understated. Saturday said he didn't believe anyone in the NFL could just step on the field and run it successfully. And he said that with Kerry Collins (a 16-year NFL veteran) as the starter. Losing Manning's talent was one thing. But the Colts also lost the ability to simply RUN their regular offense.

>> Also consider that in early September, the Colts still thought Manning was going to play in Week 1. Within a span of DAYS, there were questions that he was going on I.R. The Colts didn't have a lot of time to prepare anyone else to run the team. They suddenly had the choice to start Curtis Painter (a guy with no NFL starts in two seasons) or sign a guy off the street.

>> People seem to have understand the Colts offense stinking without Manning, but they can't believe the Colts defense playing so bad. What they forget is that Indianapolis built the whole team around Manning and his unique talents. The defensive scheme (a Cover-2 variation with heavy pressure) is specifically designed to play with a lead. After all, Manning and the offense was a virtual lock for 25-30 points each week. Suddenly, the team is struggling to put up 10. The defense couldn't play their game either.

>> The Colts have been a Super Bowl contender for the last 10+ years. They are a veteran team used to winning and playing long into January. When the season spiraled out of control, it's clear that those veterans quit on the season.

Simply put, I don't think Polian can be blamed here.

First of all, I don't believe the team is anywhere near as bad as they looked this season. They still have a lot of talent.

Also consider that Polian hasn't had a top draft pick in well over a decade. That limits the ability to restock a team with impact players. His cap room is tied up in veteran stars (Manning, Wayne, Saturday, Clark, Freeney, Mathis), which limits his ability to grab talent in free agency.

Edited by RJ (not THAT RJ)

Bill Polian was our best GM ever, I love to have back as our GM, Buddy is a flop

Polian is a descent GM although 32 years with two hall of fame QB's and 1 super bowl is not good. His best move was the Bennett trade the draft did land some good late rounders but early round weren't too promising.

try on these FIRST rounders

Ronnie Harmon- Derrick Burroughs- JD Williams- Henry Jones- John Fina = none of these guys were first round material

or these SECOND round plums

Mark Traynowicz- Roland Mitchell- Carwell Gardner- John Parella = ahh no

of course your gonna have your misses in round three

Leonard Burton- David Bradon- Bernard Ford- Darryl Wren = ole Bernard Ford

i logged on here today for the simple reason of looking for the re-hire polian thread.... ohhh how happy everyone would be, but we know all too well that ebenezer will never allow success to happen....errr i mean bring back Polian again.

The Bills don't have the 1st overall pick. Much less a chance at a player like Manning (or Kelly).

Polian Neglected the defense in Buffalo and did same with Colts.

Wrong.

The firing of Bill Polian is probably less about Bill, who's basically been retiring for a few years, and more about Chris Polian, who he was grooming to be his replacement. I bet the stories about how Irsay was not happy with Chris are coming soon.

Derrick Burroughs was a good pick whose career was cut short by an injury, Parella went on to have a good career in San Diego as a 4-3 lineman not a 3-4 NT. Fina and Jones were good players who were drafted toward the end of the first round as were most of the players during the 90s, it's the price you pay for finishing high in the standings. You want to talk about bad drafts? How 'bout the Pats who gave up on their entire 2007 draft class.

You'll be able to tell the age of Bills fans by how many "We should hire Polian" threads you see in the next few weeks.

Those of you who remember how the story played out know that John Butler's got a better chance of coming back as GM than Polian.

And for those of you who don't know who John Butler is, don't bother Googling his name because he's be dead for a while.

Yep, Ralph FIRED Polian way back when. Hell would freeze over before he would bring him back. Ralph seems to hold grudges forever!

Please correct me if I am wrong, but among other things didn't Bill Polian call Ralph's daughter the most offensive thing you can call a woman? If I am right about this, then what choice did Ralph have? And how stupid of Polian.

The other thing is hiring one's son when it is not your family owned business is a mistake. If Chris Polian can't do the job, then both have to get fired. I believe the same thing will happen with the Shanahans.

Even if Manning is coming back in 2012, he will have some real problems. Indy has 22 starters and front line players who are free agents. They are at the cap limit so they have no money to sign these players. So guys like Mathis, Saturday, Reggie Wayne and others will be gone. Bill Polian is in semi retirement and his son is arrogrant.

Irsay has realized, that it is over and he needs to move on. The Polians just were not carring the load and causing more problems than sucess. Even with Manning that team was not going to the SB. Go back and listen to some of the Bill Polian show on Indy's web, if they are still available. He would go nuts on any caller that questioned some of his moves. He would call fans rats if they dared to questioned anything he did.

Edited by dogbyte

Even if Manning is coming back in 2012, he will have some real problems. Indy has 22 starters and front line players who are free agents. They are at the cap limit so they have no money to sign these players. So guys like Mathis, Saturday, Reggie Wayne and others will be gone. Bill Polian is in semi retirement and his son is arrogrant.

Irsay has realized, that it is over and he needs to move on. The Polians just were not carring the load and causing more problems than sucess. Even with Manning that team was not going to the SB. Go back and listen to some of the Bill Polian show on Indy's web, if they are still available. He would go nuts on any caller that questioned some of his moves. He would call fans rats if they dared to questioned anything he did.

Heed these words.

The bloom was off the rose long ago.