Stevie Johnson

Warren Zevon

"I'm all about my Bills like Stevie Johnson! $ on my mind $ on my conscience I'm all about my Bills like Stevie Johnson".

If Bob Costas is the pillar of virtue, where is he on his alumni Syrcause University sex story?

SJ13 didn't rape no little boy.

Calm down Bills fans!

Exactly, Costas needs to have some perspective here. This whole thing has been ridiculously blown out of proportion. BTW, I think Bills fans have been conditioned to always have a person to really hate after a loss. It's the Jerry Sullivanication effect.

Did Johnson's drop and celebration penalty have an effect on the final outcome? Sure it did, but so did no running game on offense and no pass rush on defense. But Bills fans don't want to hear or talk about that. They need a "Super Villain" to turn their anger towards.

I like Stevie's quirks and off beat personality. I enjoyed his celebration dance. Even more, I love the way he plays. If the Bills don't sign him long term I will be a very very angry fan.

Edited by 1billsfan

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not reading all 14 pages here, so I have to ask: has anyone noted that on the final two plays of the game where he was targeted -- the two plays when it should be most difficult to get open in the end zone -- Stevie Johnson was wide open and would have scored if the passes had been on target? He has his flaws, certainly, but he"s a great route runner and would start for just about every team in the league. Why oh why would the Bills let him walk? As Adam mentions above, look at McGahee. If we had kept him instead of trading him for a couple of ultimately worthless third rounders, he would be in the backfield along with Fred Jackson, Spiller and Lynch would have been drafted by other teams, and the Bills would presumably have two other first rounders on the squad at positions of real need.

I get that people are turned off by his antics. But the man can play. Forget the eight receptions for a second -- just think about hoow frequently he got open against a very good secondary.

PS: He wouldn't have scored on the pass he dropped. He would have gotten to the 12 or 13. There are no excuses for the drop, but he did atone for his error by getting open twice for TD opportunities on two of the game's final three plays.

Edited by dave mcbride

John Murphy said on the Sunday Night Blitz on Ch. 4 that he thinks the Bills will let Stevie hit the free agent market in March and doesn't believe they will give him big money.

I hope he is wrong. That would be a mistake and create another huge whole.

Right now we have major needs for a pass rusher DE/OLB, offensive tackle, a corner, another WR to compliment what we have, and more quality at OLB. Add to that if we have a shot at a franchise QB then we take him.

I do not like Johnson's showboating and his tweeting, my previous posts make that clear. I do however like Johnson as a player.

Right now we have only two recievers on this team worthy of starting in the NFL. We have Johnson and we have Nelson. Caveat that Nelson is a #3 slot receiever. We need to sign Stevie and also sign or draft another top threat.

And lets stop talking about #1 and #2 recievers. Most team have two equivalent capable recievers, unless they are lucky enough to have a Pro Bowl guy that is clearly one of the best (Johnson in Detriot for example).

We should be able to sign him for a reasonable contract.

The league is going to fine him or suspend him. That should get his attention.

haven't read the 15 pages of this thread but one simple fact: SJ dropped what looked like a sure TD pass on final drive. If SJ wants to be a top receiver in this league he can not drop key TD passes see Pitt last year and one yesterday.

This. SJ has the potential to be a quality WR in this league for a long time.

The difference between the quality and the "equality" is that the quality come through in the clutch. So what's it gonna be, Stevie?

SJ's celebration was silly and hurt the team, but no more than a handful of other stupid penalties. It's the sort of poor judgement/taste he should correct, but it's being way overblown.

The damage was compounded by the stupid decision to call a squib kick that is NOT Johnson's fault, it's on our coaches.

Plaxico got all the payback he needed (and showed SJ up) with a TD on the Jets next drive and an amazing, clutch, one handed sideline grab. "Let me show ya how it's done - BOY"

Johnson is an !@#$ and acts like a spoiled child. And if he was on an opposing team and did those things the same people defending him now would be reaming him.

That being said, he is a very good #2 receiver who chokes on the big plays. He owned Revis all game yesterday and that simply does not happen. They should pay him what he is worth, but I'm sure Johnson will think he is worth more. So let him hit the FA market and test the waters then sign him to a reasonable contract. With his antics and the way he drops the big ones its not like teams will be lining up to offer him #1 WR money.

I hope he is wrong. That would be a mistake and create another huge whole.

Right now we have major needs for a pass rusher DE/OLB, offensive tackle, a corner, another WR to compliment what we have, and more quality at OLB. Add to that if we have a shot at a franchise QB then we take him.

I do not like Johnson's showboating and his tweeting, my previous posts make that clear. I do however like Johnson as a player.

Right now we have only two recievers on this team worthy of starting in the NFL. We have Johnson and we have Nelson. Caveat that Nelson is a #3 slot receiever. We need to sign Stevie and also sign or draft another top threat.

And lets stop talking about #1 and #2 recievers. Most team have two equivalent capable recievers, unless they are lucky enough to have a Pro Bowl guy that is clearly one of the best (Johnson in Detriot for example).

We should be able to sign him for a reasonable contract.

The league is going to fine him or suspend him. That should get his attention.

LIke it got his attention to be fined after the "WSS?" thing last year? And I've already seen a twitter from Merriman offering to pay half the fine.

I have no inside knowledge and could be off-base, but I think Chan has taken a "hands off" approach to Johnson's shenanigans, reasoning he'll grow up on his own and you don't want to squelch a good thing.

I think what will settle him down is having the "this is too much, it stops NOW" talk with his coach, plus a session in the film room to see what he could be (Plaxico) and what he did (the drop - I don't think he realizes how catchable that was).

What would settle him down most is to have quality competition at the WR spot next year.

I'm not reading all 14 pages here, so I have to ask: has anyone noted that on the final two plays of the game where he was targeted -- the two plays when it should be most difficult to get open in the end zone -- Stevie Johnson was wide open and would have scored if the passes had been on target? He has his flaws, certainly, but he"s a great route runner and would start for just about every team in the league. Why oh why would the Bills let him walk? As Adam mentions above, look at McGahee. If we had kept him instead of trading him for a couple of ultimately worthless third rounders, he would in the backfield along with Fred Jackson, Spiller and Lynch would have been drafted by other teams, and the Bills would presumably have two other first rounders on the squad at positions of real need.

I get that people are turned off by his antics. But the man can play. Forget the eight receptions for a second -- just think about hoow frequently he got open against a very good secondary.

PS: He wouldn't have scored on the pass he dropped. He would have gotten to the 12 or 13. There are no excuses for the drop, but he did atone for his error by getting open twice for TD opportunities on two of the game's final three plays.

Dave, it's not enough to be wide open when your QB is under heavy pressure. You need to be on the same page with the QB, and open quickly enough. Not intending to diss on SJ, just to point out from a rational perspective, we can't say "he was wide open and Fitz's passes were off". Something was off, that's all we can say.

Also, if he had caught the drop and gotten to the 12 or 13, that would have been huge for Fitz, by shortening the time frame in which the receivers were open and shortening the throw (improved accuracy, higher percentage pass). It would also have opened other play possibilities. So no, getting open on a lower percentage throw that puts your QB under pressure for longer, forcing him to throw on the run, does not atone for dropping a critical pass that could have put you deep in the red zone.

That said I agree, the man can play, and we should make every reasonable effort to sign him.

What worries me is the repetition of mistakes. This was his second big drop and third (?) celebration penalty. If you go back on close games, the play has gone his way consistently but rarely has it turned out well. I know cincy was a rough call, and fitz threw an ugly ball in NY but both those could have been oh so different. I want him here but it's getting old to start Monday with Stevie threads.

I would have liked Nelson to be the one running that deep corner route at the end of the game instead of Brad Smith. He played good but is clearly awkward in positions like that when he has to go up for a ball.

C'est la vie.

Could care less about celebration. Falling to the ground during it, is an automatic 15 yrs. You just can't do that to your defense in a close game.

Stevie is good, but not great. He had a chance to win the game for his team and whiffed 3 out of 3 times.

The pass to plexico was horrible too, but the wr made the acrobatic catch. Holmes got wide open in the end zone to and caught the td.

Stevie is a good wr and I hope he stays around, but he is not the wr that wins you football games in the clutch.

Bills need one of those to become a contender.

Dave, it's not enough to be wide open when your QB is under heavy pressure. You need to be on the same page with the QB, and open quickly enough. Not intending to diss on SJ, just to point out from a rational perspective, we can't say "he was wide open and Fitz's passes were off". Something was off, that's all we can say.

Also, if he had caught the drop and gotten to the 12 or 13, that would have been huge for Fitz, by shortening the time frame in which the receivers were open and shortening the throw (improved accuracy, higher percentage pass). It would also have opened other play possibilities. So no, getting open on a lower percentage throw that puts your QB under pressure for longer, forcing him to throw on the run, does not atone for dropping a critical pass that could have put you deep in the red zone.

That said I agree, the man can play, and we should make every reasonable effort to sign him.

I'm not saying the drop wasn't a bad play - it certainly was. But it's tough to get open when everyone assumes you're the target for the game winner, and he did it twice. He's not a good route runner - he's a great route runner. It would be sad if the Bills let him walk, but I won't be surprised if they do. It would be par for the course.

I would have liked Nelson to be the one running that deep corner route at the end of the game instead of Brad Smith. He played good but is clearly awkward in positions like that when he has to go up for a ball.

C'est la vie.

Smith's athletic ability and heads up play got us a touchdown earlier in the game.

Smith's athletic ability and heads up play got us a touchdown earlier in the game.

I hope that they keep Smith in at the #2. I think he's got a legit shot at nailing down the job for the long term. The guy's got long arms like Burress which really helps out a QB in keeping the ball out of harms way.

The drop was terrible then fitz misses him wide open in end zone

Exactly, everyone is blaming Johnson, and deservedly so, but he didn't lose it by himself. Fitz missed him wide open in the endzone, would have been the game winner. The defense dropped 2 or 3 interceptions that hit their hands. The offensive line had numerous stupid, just killer penalties that hurt badly. C.J. danced more than anyone that has been on Dancing With the Stars (as usual), the run defense was invisible (to be expected), and I could go on and on. Am I fed up with Stevie, yes and I have been since that crap last year in Cincy, then the loss against Pittsburgh, but this is a bad with bad players, but people find one scapegoat each week, usually to protect the Amish popgun from criticism.

You just compared Johnson to Rice and are questioning the intelligence of anyone?

Wow, you just answered your own level of intelligence for me with that reply. I did not compare Johnson to Rice anywhere in that statement. I was just merely stating that Jerry Rice, believe it or not, did drop passes in his HOF career. Kinda like Brady, Montana, Manning etc actually throw INTs too. There is not one invincible player in any sport period. Why is this so hard for some to understand???? :wallbash:

You know what makes me sick today - the drop / bad call on the throw to Stevie that would have beat Cinci and the drop yesterday. Hmmm, the Jets and Cinci with losses and the Bills with 2 more wins - oh how the season can turn so quickly. Once again, the what ifs linger throughout another season without playoffs.....

You know what makes me sick today - the drop / bad call on the throw to Stevie that would have beat Cinci and the drop yesterday. Hmmm, the Jets and Cinci with losses and the Bills with 2 more wins - oh how the season can turn so quickly. Once again, the what ifs linger throughout another season without playoffs.....

He didn't drop the ball in Cincy. Just clarifying in case anyone thinks it's still questionable.

Hence the reason why I said he played good.

Seriously though, he tried to bat down the ball to save an INT and it took a freak bounce right into his hands. He is still awkward going up for balls (as is Donald Jones). Dropped a bomb earlier in the game too. Just pointing out what I saw.

I hope that they keep Smith in at the #2. I think he's got a legit shot at nailing down the job for the long term. The guy's got long arms like Burress which really helps out a QB in keeping the ball out of harms way.

Any team with Brad Smith as their #2 is going to be hurting. The comparisons stop w/ Burress after the long arms. No way he ever makes a one-hander like Plax did along the side lines.

Played a GREAT game against Revis but he has to make that catch...

That's why they need to bring it up in contract talks & he should get #2 money not #1 money , 2 big drops that would have won the game one last year one this . He needs to think more about his play than his celebration !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Especially if he expects #1 money --- COME ON MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!

There are about 50 stories about Stevie's idiotic plays yesterday. He should be benched. He cost the team the game.

One Jet said that Stevie's drop of that perfect pass by Fitz was "karma." I agree.

Johnson is not the only idiot on the team, however. What about Nelson running across to the other side of the field to deliver a football to his cheerleader girlfriend? Weren't the Bills getting crushed at the time? That's not team play. That's selfish.

This team needs to focus on each other, not on the cameras. I'm sick of it.

Let's get this straight so don't re-sign him, because he dropped a pass although he Dominated the overall game....

Not comparing his status or star power....just an example: if Lebron James dominated games and put his team in position to win but misses the game winners....you'd not re-sign him?

What I think is funny is how everyone says he dropped two passes that could have won us games, Pitt last year and then yesterday's. Who here really believes that if SJ makes those two catches and the Bills win both games, was that gonna get the Bills into the playoffs? No way!!! People make it out to sound as if the Bills didn't have SJ, they would be a better team and that is hilarious. This team has won a lot more games because of Stevie's play and not lost them.

I've been accused of comparing Johnson to Rice, which I clearly did not, but just to bring Rice up again....read this.

Drops

1 penalty and 1 dropped ball erase an amazing day against the NFL's "best CB". Very unfortunate.

1 dropped ball? The infamous no catch was not his first drop of the day. he also dropped one on the first drive and at least one more before the big one. Steve has bad hands and drops the ball in the clutch. Michael Irvi,n who knows a little about this said that it's not how many balls you catch or how much yardage you get, it's can you catch the big ball in the big game with the game on the line. For Steve, the answer is no. Let him walk. I'm through with him. It's OK to be a hot dog if you can back it up. He can't.

With all the other problems, if Steve doesn't do the dumb EZ thing and catches that ball we win. He cost us the game and keeping us in the playoff hunt.

We need winners.

Let's get this straight so don't re-sign him, because he dropped a pass although he Dominated the overall game....

Not comparing his status or star power....just an example: if Lebron James dominated games and put his team in position to win but misses the game winners....you'd not re-sign him?

I don't think it is rational to not re-sign him. He is a good receiver and the Bills cannot afford to create another hole next year. I would have benched him though to make sure that garbage never happens again. Sit him for a series, a quarter, the rest of the game - whatever. Players have to be held accountable when it hurts the team so the younger guys can learn by example.

1 dropped ball? The infamous no catch was not his first drop of the day. he also dropped one on the first drive and at least one more before the big one. Steve has bad hands and drops the ball in the clutch. Michael Irvi,n who knows a little about this said that it's not how many balls you catch or how much yardage you get, it's can you catch the big ball in the big game with the game on the line. For Steve, the answer is no. Let him walk. I'm through with him. It's OK to be a hot dog if you can back it up. He can't.

With all the other problems, if Steve doesn't do the dumb EZ thing and catches that ball we win. He cost us the game and keeping us in the playoff hunt.

We need winners.

that has to the dumbest thing I read! .... at the end of the day you want guys that put you in position to win! ...and that's what happened..

that has to the dumbest thing I read! .... at the end of the day you want guys that put you in position to win! ...and that's what happened..

That is the dumbest thing I read! We've been in position to win a lot of games over the last 5 years. i want guys that can not only put us in position to win, but guys who can win, not just get us close.

I thought it was entertaining making fun of plaxico and the jets. I don't have a problem with it, it makes me sick when santonio does that stupid plane sh*t and sanchez who's terrible and should never be allowed to celebrate any thing because he didn't do sh*t does it. But that drop was terrible but that wasn't the only problem. How bout Fitzgarbage missing him wide open? and What kicker has anybody ever send have a 4 yard kick off? I mean really regardless of the celebration penalty that would have still happened so you can't blame Stevie for that. He was killing reeves the whole game and that was something that hasn't been done by any elite receiver (except randy smoking him that one time which was beautiful). Stevie is the only exciting player we have (not named Jackson) that gives us character to blame him for this loss is retarded.. I blame the kicker..lol

I mean really regardless of the celebration penalty that would have still happened so you can't blame Stevie for that.

I disagree ReturnoftheBuffaloBeast23. Rain Man was trying to really nail it because he was kicking off from his own 20 BECAUSE OF STEVE JOHNSON'S IDIOTIC PENALTY. The kicker flubbed it yeah, but if he had been kicking off from the 35 and it had been a regular kick, Jets take over on their own 20 instead of our 35. And, we keep the momentum.

I disagree ReturnoftheBuffaloBeast23. Rain Man was trying to really nail it because he was kicking off from his own 20 BECAUSE OF STEVE JOHNSON'S IDIOTIC PENALTY. The kicker flubbed it yeah, but if he had been kicking off from the 35 and it had been a regular kick, Jets take over on their own 20 instead of our 35. And, we keep the momentum.

Stevie should have kicked that ball better... :rolleyes:

Owns him? Pretty sure Revis will take 5-10 yard slants all day long vs. anything downfield. Sorry but I am not impressed with 13 targets, 8 catches, only 75 yards, one TD, a couple of drops and a look at me 15 yard penatly.

Yeah you're right. The drop, which he should have caught would have been the second what 60 yard catch against Revis in two games this year.