A Few Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

1) I know it shouldn't bother me. In fact, I should praise the man for being such a gentleman. That said, I wish that Nick Barnett would stop helping opposing players up while we are getting our asses handed to us.

2) Troup? On the very next play after his stupid, costly defensive holding penalty he was tossed aside like a used condom as the cowboys walked in for a TD. My patience (admittedly not that great) is wearing oh so thin with him. OK....I'll say it. He is a flat out bust.

3) McKelvin gets smoked even when he has his receiver covered. Good Lord he is a freaking mess.

4) Will just ONE supporter of the Spiller selection come forward and tell me that he is a bust. Yes, a 100%, total, complete bust. It's OK to admit it. Look, I thought that Rob Johnson was going to be a great quarterback. Just step up if you will. Or, defend him some more.

5) This should have been thought #1. We have NO pass rush. News Flash: Romo and Sanchez are so-so qbs at best. Neither is as good as Fitz. They really are not, but 2 weeks in a row these guys were laughing on the sidelines. There is absolutely NO pressure at all.

6) Speaking of defense, we suddenly suck against the run.

7) See here how everything,

Lead up to this day.

And it's just like every other day that's,

Ever been.

8) Is Jauron in the house? On 3rd and 2 with 3 min. and change left in the half, Dareus left the line of scrimage and went running backward into the flat. Who the f*&k calls formations like this? The kid weighs 340!!!

9) I finally figured out what Spiller does best. Sorry for the delay. He looks very stylish on kickoffs when he signals Brad Smith to down the ball. I hope an opposing GM offers us a conditional 7th round pick for him. That would be a steal.

10) Fitz was not as bad as his stats. Fred Jackson is great and actually improving, and David Nelson can flat out play.

11) Levitre was over-matched at LT. We still need OTs people, like it or not.

12) OK, so the "party" would appear to be over. Hopefully a player such as Sheppard, Carrington, or A. Williams will develop. This team is still hurting from Levy/Jauron, as well as the putrid 2010 draft. But is does appear that there are some bright spots to build upon.

13) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't understand the emotions that people have about Spiller. He rarely gets on the field, and he is never given a chance to stay in the game long enough to get into any sort of rhythm. I was not a fan of the pick, and I still am not, but I hesitate to call him a bust since he hardly ever plays. Is there something that Chan knows that explains why he doesn't let Spiller play? Fumbles? Bad blocking? Doesn't learn the plays? To easy to tackle? If the Bills trade him, I bet he will turn out to be a good player for whoever gets him. He is expensive and fast. Fred is far superior between the tackles, but why not give Spiller a few sets of downs to see what he can do and give Fred a rest? At this point, maybe it's time for a few experiments to see what some of these other players can do.

One would think that with the few touches one gets, he would take advantage and show that he should get more!

Spiller doesnt do this!

#6 - Speaking of Defense...The only writing about the Defense should be put in a simple question...Did the Defense make the trip from Buffalo?

Where is the George Wilson that seemed to be high on Coke against the Eagles?

1) I know it shouldn't bother me. In fact, I should praise the man for being such a gentleman. That said, I wish that Nick Barnett would stop helping opposing players up while we are getting our asses handed to us.

2) Troup? On the very next play after his stupid, costly defensive holding penalty he was tossed aside like a used condom as the cowboys walked in for a TD. My patience (admittedly not that great) is wearing oh so thin with him. OK....I'll say it. He is a flat out bust.

3) McKelvin gets smoked even when he has his receiver covered. Good Lord he is a freaking mess.

4) Will just ONE supporter of the Spiller selection come forward and tell me that he is a bust. Yes, a 100%, total, complete bust. It's OK to admit it. Look, I thought that Rob Johnson was going to be a great quarterback. Just step up if you will. Or, defend him some more.

5) This should have been thought #1. We have NO pass rush. News Flash: Romo and Sanchez are so-so qbs at best. Neither is as good as Fitz. They really are not, but 2 weeks in a row these guys were laughing on the sidelines. There is absolutely NO pressure at all.

Lead up to this day.

Ever been.

8) Is Jauron in the house? On 3rd and 2 with 3 min. and change left in the half, Dareus left the line of scrimage and went running backward into the flat. Who the f*&k calls formations like this? The kid weighs 340!!!

9) I finally figured out what Spiller does best. Sorry for the delay. He looks very stylish on kickoffs when he signals Brad Smith to down the ball. I hope an opposing GM offers us a conditional 7th round pick for him. That would be a steal.

10) Fitz was not as bad as his stats. Fred Jackson is great and actually improving, and David Nelson can flat out play.

12) OK, so the "party" would appear to be over. Hopefully a player such as Sheppard, Carrington, or A. Williams will develop. This team is still hurting from Levy/Jauron, as well as the putrid 2010 draft. But is does appear that there are some bright spots to build upon.

I agree with most of what you said, especially that Dareus playcall. This team got gashed on the lines today, showing they don't yet have the depth to overcome the loss of Kyle Williams and the two left tackles. Troupe was bad, same with the oline (not blaming it on one guy, but without our normal tackles the scheme looked way off. Levitre had issues recognizing who to block).

2) Troup? On the very next play after his stupid, costly defensive holding penalty he was tossed aside like a used condom as the cowboys walked in for A TD

At least a used condom gets penetration...

I'm not going to counter your pessimism party overall, because it was a depressing day. We are not an elite team yet, and we got our asses handed to us today. It is not as bad as it seems right now, just like it wasn't as amazing as it seemed at 4-0. This is a team on the upswing that will still take some lumps. Not a fun two weeks at all, but we are 5-4 one game out of first, and ready to go play Miami next week and try to get to 6-4 and stay in the hunt.

One item I will counter is Spiller. He is behind the current best RB in the NFL, and he is not going to get a lot of chances. A huge huge weakness (if anybody can let me know otherwise) is anytime he is in the backfield he gets the ball. He won't be there to block, etc. So pretty easy for the opposing D to key on that. I think he still will be a playmaker in this league, despite how disappointing his first two seasons have been. Amazing to think that before the season Chan wasn't sure if Freddie was the starter or not. To now say with limited opportunities behind a great player playing at the top of his career that he is a bust and worth a conditional #7, etc. is the unrealistic drama I wouldn't expect from you Bill. He is closer to McKelvin than Maybin at the moment, but that isn't cause for celebration.

Party is not over yet. Let's go squish the fish, and then see what happens. I am 100% focused on making the playoffs somehow right now, but can see a lot of positives in 8-8 or 9-7 if we get there. Stepping stone from drafting #3 to winning a SB.

I don't understand the emotions that people have about Spiller. He rarely gets on the field, and he is never given a chance to stay in the game long enough to get into any sort of rhythm. I was not a fan of the pick, and I still am not, but I hesitate to call him a bust since he hardly ever plays. Is there something that Chan knows that explains why he doesn't let Spiller play? Fumbles? Bad blocking? Doesn't learn the plays? To easy to tackle? If the Bills trade him, I bet he will turn out to be a good player for whoever gets him. He is expensive and fast. Fred is far superior between the tackles, but why not give Spiller a few sets of downs to see what he can do and give Fred a rest? At this point, maybe it's time for a few experiments to see what some of these other players can do.

It's tuff to get on the field with Jackson playing so well but I really felt he could have exploited the slower LB's of the Jest's and maybe pulled them out of man coverage a little more last week but saw no action.

Lead up to this day.

Ever been.

Romo is way better than Fitz by the way......Your fan goggles are on a lil strong.....Terrible day by the Bills....Stevie Johnson Catch a ball maybe? Geeezus that was bad.......NO execution Spiller and Jones with bad drops could have made game a little better.....Terrible

Spiller's Chan's guy. If there was he was ready to make plays, Chan would put him in position. Even with a great RB like Freddie, he's not there to get every single carry in every situation. If Spiller's going to break out, it's not going to happen this season, and it gets increasingly frustrating to watch every single Nix draft pick, save Dareus, come out flat, week after week. Look, I know they're young, I'm not declaring busts yet. But we're really just praying for a turnaround now, not watching a logical progression. Maybe there's some hope for Chris Hairston when he gets healthy, but right now, I would say that there are serious doubts about the rest, with especial worry for Spiller, Troup, Carrington, and Easley.

Spiller doesn't do anything with the time he gets to show himself. For whatever reason he will not bring a ball out of the end-zone until it is too late to matter. When a football player, especially a RB, is on the field he should want to do whatever it takes to get the ball and move it downfield. Spiller is tentative, shows no instinct to be that "water-bug" type we were told it was. Spiller has not done anything we were told he was supposed to do; I do not blame him, I blame the FO. It is just like Maybin.

inb4 look how Maybin is doing now.

Where is the George Wilson that seemed to be high on Coke against the Eagles?

He was lined up 12-15 yards deep to keep us from getting our asses handed to us on all of those costsly passing plays. No one could straight up cover Bryant or Witten - Wilson had to play deep to cover. It was BS.

As soon as I saw Dareus drop back I was like "Ummmm wtf?". I seriously couldn't understand what the purpose of that call was. Unless the goal was to take your best lineman out of the play completely than I'm baffled.

I'm not going to counter your pessimism party overall, because it was a depressing day. We are not an elite team yet, and we got our asses handed to us today. It is not as bad as it seems right now, just like it wasn't as amazing as it seemed at 4-0. This is a team on the upswing that will still take some lumps. Not a fun two weeks at all, but we are 5-4 one game out of first, and ready to go play Miami next week and try to get to 6-4 and stay in the hunt.

One item I will counter is Spiller. He is behind the current best RB in the NFL, and he is not going to get a lot of chances. A huge huge weakness (if anybody can let me know otherwise) is anytime he is in the backfield he gets the ball. He won't be there to block, etc. So pretty easy for the opposing D to key on that. I think he still will be a playmaker in this league, despite how disappointing his first two seasons have been. Amazing to think that before the season Chan wasn't sure if Freddie was the starter or not. To now say with limited opportunities behind a great player playing at the top of his career that he is a bust and worth a conditional #7, etc. is the unrealistic drama I wouldn't expect from you Bill. He is closer to McKelvin than Maybin at the moment, but that isn't cause for celebration.

Party is not over yet. Let's go squish the fish, and then see what happens. I am 100% focused on making the playoffs somehow right now, but can see a lot of positives in 8-8 or 9-7 if we get there. Stepping stone from drafting #3 to winning a SB.

Kenneth Davis played behind Thurman Thomas and saw the field because he was good. Spiller sits because he can't play.

Lead up to this day.

Ever been.

Let me simplify your extended analysis. The Bills are over-matched when competing with good teams. They lack playmakers on both sides of the ball. Our LBing corps is one of the worst in the league and our defensive backfield liabilities get accentuated with the inability to rush the passer. The franchise is a low budget operation competing against franchises owned by owners who have a desire to be good.

Don't let your fixation on Spiller have you avoid the reality that this team is still more than a few years away from being a serious team. The best way to look at this franchise is that this is basically an expansion team entering its second season. Under its current ownership there is not going to be an infusion of money used to acquire impact free agents to accelerate the development process. So it is going to take more time to rebuild primarily through the draft.

If the Bills finish the season at 7-9 or 8-8 it will probably disapoint a lot of fans who had higher expectations. But the reality is that the Bills won 4 games last year so doubling that low marker is still moving in the right direction.

1. For all intents and purposes(fixed lol), Spiller is a bust.

2. Fitz played another poor game. He has potential too be great though.

3. Donald Jones is NOT a starting caliber WR

4. Chandler look very good

5. GEORGE EDWARDS NEEDS TO BE FIRED

6. Fredex is the best RB in the NFL right now and Chan needs to focus our attack on him

Edited by It's in My Blood

Spiller's Chan's guy. If there was he was ready to make plays, Chan would put him in position. Even with a great RB like Freddie, he's not there to get every single carry in every situation. If Spiller's going to break out, it's not going to happen this season, and it gets increasingly frustrating to watch every single Nix draft pick, save Dareus, come out flat, week after week. Look, I know they're young, I'm not declaring busts yet. But we're really just praying for a turnaround now, not watching a logical progression. Maybe there's some hope for Chris Hairston when he gets healthy, but right now, I would say that there are serious doubts about the rest, with especial worry for Spiller, Troup, Carrington, and Easley.

Agreed...this garbage about Spiller not getting touches is a joke...Chan basically hand-picked the Kid...If he showed enough to deserve them he would get all the touches he needs to shine...But he comes up short FAR too often...He can't break a tackle to save his life, and you would hope a #8 overall Pick would not stumble and drop a deep pass right in his hands when he does get the chance to make a big play...I mean...After watching Spiller look like he had 2 left feet and no hands on that play how can anyone question why he does not get more touches? More often than not he looks over-matched out there...They Drafted him at #8 overall to be the newer, better version of Darren Sproles, but he's no where close to that good...I thought Dez Bryant lacked maturity to be a great NFL WR...But I don't get paid to make those decisions either...Think the Bills would rather have Bryant now? :unsure:

11 Draft Picks on Defense in two years and not a single one is a stand-out Defender...Dareus included...Though I do think the big-fella could be great in time...I mean...How is it even possible that a Team can Draft so poorly year, after year, after year?...Heck they don't even deserve credit for the Dareus Pick...that was a no-brainer...Or at least it seemed to be...I know AJ Green is having something to say about that...This is the most bizarre string of poor Drafting...It may even be historic it's so bad...Jeez... :bag:

Yeah, we made a couple of flaky QB's look like HOF'rs. I love Dareus, but there's a part of me that wishes Von Miller had slid to us.

Romo's 23/26 passing the best day ever against the Bills. 88.4%. -- Even when we were winning, I didn't see this as a playoff defense. Now I think our D is a complete liability.

1. spiller and smith are both wastes

2. troup is a waste, carrington a maybe gets better,

3. sheppard uninspiring for such a high sleection

4. Ol sucks

5. OLBs suck

6. 2010 and 2011 drafts show Dareaus is a stud, Carrington a maybe, Shep a question and all else have shown nothing that shows they can be starters in the nFL

7. fitz is goona get hurt before the endo fthe season wit this LT situation allowng rushers to go untouched into an open backfield time after time.

8 Our 3rd or 4th and less than 2 calls are a joke

9 Our def coordinator could not coach a hs football team's defense succesfully

10. Our GM is living in the past off his early supposed succesful slection swith SD

11. Our headcoach does not look inspiring

12 ralph is cheap.

1. For all intensive purposes, Spiller is a bust.

2. Fitz played another poor game. He has potential too be great though.

3. Donald Jones is NOT a starting caliber WR

4. Chandler look very good

5. GEORGE EDWARDS NEEDS TO BE FIRED

6. Fredex is the best RB in the NFL right now and Chan needs to focus our attack on him

fyi, it's intents and purposes...

One more thing - I was sitting behind the goalposts on the south side of the stadium, 11 rows up, and we left our corners in an island in a zone a lot. We would put them 10 yards off, and they would get catches consistently underneath.

The couple times we pressed they were covered and Romo had to throw to another guy.

What did Fewell see and George Edwards now seeing that is causing them to believe the right play is to play the corners off? They seem to be successful when they play close, press football. What gives?

Agreed...this garbage about Spiller not getting touches is a joke...Chan basically hand-picked the Kid...If he showed enough to deserve them he would get all the touches he needs to shine...But he comes up short FAR too often...He can't break a tackle to save his life, and you would hope a #8 overall Pick would not stumble and drop a deep pass right in his hands when he does get the chance to make a big play...I mean...After watching Spiller look like he had 2 left feet and no hands on that play how can anyone question why he does not get more touches? More often than not he looks over-matched out there...They Drafted him at #8 overall to be the newer, better version of Darren Sproles, but he's no where close to that good...I thought Dez Bryant lacked maturity to be a great NFL WR...But I don't get paid to make those decisions either...Think the Bills would rather have Bryant now? :unsure:

11 Draft Picks on Defense in two years and not a single one is a stand-out Defender...Dareus included...Though I do think the big-fella could be great in time...I mean...How is it even possible that a Team can Draft so poorly year, after year, after year?...Heck they don't even deserve credit for the Dareus Pick...that was a no-brainer...Or at least it seemed to be...I know AJ Green is having something to say about that...This is the most bizarre string of poor Drafting...It may even be historic it's so bad...Jeez... :bag:

That's why I wanted to keep the 4-3 Tampa 2. It's a that can work as a perfect compliment to an offensive minded HC .., think colts. And we had the personel largely in place. The overall to 3-4 has cost 5 out of our top 6 picks over last 2 years (rds 1 thru 3) and 3 free agency aquisitions at LB. And the defense IMHO worse because it's more susceptible to big plays and lacks any kind of identity. Just think how much better our offense would have been had we used that personel focus on them

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I don't understand the emotions that people have about Spiller. He rarely gets on the field, and he is never given a chance to stay in the game long enough to get into any sort of rhythm. I was not a fan of the pick, and I still am not, but I hesitate to call him a bust since he hardly ever plays.

There might be a reason for this.

I love Jackson, lead the chorus for him to get a raise/extension. But...the fact remains that a top pick can't get on the field and when he does he shows little. He should have caught that deep pass today...but, he didn't.

McKelvin flat out sucks, no awareness, no ability to make a play.

Donald Jones caught a couple, but he didn't help Fitz on the pass he tipped. Give me more Naaman.

I don't care about Barnett helping up the opposition as long as he keeps hitting them with everything he has.

Today was horrible. Agreed.

However, I remain confident that this team will make the playoffs.

It won't be easy and it's definitely not going to look pretty. We'll probably back in or it'll come down to the last game.

However, the cosmic forces are aligned this season. The NFL Marketing Cartel has put the last 7 of 8 teams who changed their uniforms into the playoffs in their first year with the new uniforms.

There are those that lose faith in the team. However, I don't lose faith in the NFL wanting to make money, and lots of it, despite your great powers at making a defense look like crap, George Edwards.

1) I agree, and this seems to be a Team trend all around for the Bills- I guess I prefer that to the cocky-sh*t-talking Jets players.

2) Agree, I think Heard is outplaying him....by alot.

3) Yep, that's frustrating, good coverage but always loses to taller recievers. (PS-we need a big aggressive reciever to make plays on bad throws)

4) Still support Spiller; blame the coaches for not getting him the ball more (if anyone should be targeted with all the screen passes the bills try, it should be him and Freddy.)- that bomb was close- but keep in mind he is a HB, not WR.

5) 10 sacks against the skins, and now nothing... Kyle Williams is definately missed.

6) losing kyle here is again hurting; what happened to Moats-Sheppard looked like they might contribute????

7) ????- don't know what to say here; but a general statement i made earlier is that when playing well, Buffalo can hang and compete with any team in the nfl. (unfortunately they have not played well the last two weeks.)

8) Defensive game plan sux

9) In the right system, Spiller would destroy us (see Jahvid Best when healthy)-and Spiller is a better athlete all around.

10) agree!

11) need more depth, would rather have Levitre at guard than at tackle-

Except for the Washington game, which I think we can all safely call an anomaly, we have had no real dependable pass rush. And now with Williams, Merriman and Kelsy out, it has flat out disappeared. We've been consistently bad at stopping the run and the pass coverage isn't far behind. Without any pressure on the QB, even mediocre ones have all day to stand back there and pick us apart, which puts the defense on its heels and then the run defense starts giving up huge chunks.

George Edwards is in way over his head as a DC, but he has a lot of sub standard players to work with that wouldn't be starting on any other team. Maybe not even 2nd string. If that sounds like I'm making excuses for Edwards, I'm not. I've been calling for him to be replaced since the middle of last season. The front office has turned the draft into Russian roulette with a dash of Tourette's syndrome thrown in for comedic relief, Marcel Dareus being an obvious exception. The front office has made inexplicably bad extensions and let good players leave.

I hope I'm wrong, but this is starting to have the feel of Groundhog Day Part II. The Bills face planted against the Jets and then stomped all over a field full of rakes in Dallas. Whatever Gailey and Fitz had going seems to have gone. Will they get it back? We'll see against Miami, but I dont' have a good feeling about that game.

Yeah, we made a couple of flaky QB's look like HOF'rs. I love Dareus, but there's a part of me that wishes Von Miller had slid to us.

Romo's 23/26 passing the best day ever against the Bills. 88.4%. -- Even when we were winning, I didn't see this as a playoff defense. Now I think our D is a complete liability.

Good big DLs are hard to find. With Merriman out, other than Barnett, the LB crew is about the same as last year's crew that gave 200+ yards rushing routinely. We need more talent plain and simple.

(That extra 4th we got for Lee Evans should help alot - WTF??)

Edited by Mr_Blizzard

We can create pressure up the middle with 4-3 dareus and Williams next to each other. Kelsay at LDE carrington at RDE is capable unit. Deeper zones maximiEs byrds talent. Ive seen more physical play out of him which combined with his ball hawking skills I really think makes him the cornerstone of a good defense.

"4) Will just ONE supporter of the Spiller selection come forward and tell me that he is a bust. Yes, a 100%, total, complete bust. It's OK to admit it. Look, I thought that Rob Johnson was going to be a great quarterback. Just step up if you will. Or, defend him some more."

I was roasted for saying in the pre-season that Spiller was fast approaching the Maybin bust line. But you all we right, Spiller is now well below it, at least Maybin is getting on the field and giving some production in NY.