Fitzpatricks last 16 games

Dont be to harsh on Fitz for those interceptions.a few of those came on the heels of having to pass more to come from behind and force throws to try and make something happen.Now if the team can stay ahead and control the game you'll see his interceptions go down

Edited by cjbill69

Jim Kelly's best year ever was 1991 when he threw 33 TDs and 17 INTs, basically the same 2-1 ratio that Fitz has. He threw 474 passes to those 491 for Fitz. He threw for 3844 yards to Fitz's 3541 and he had a much better completion average. But this was Jim Kelly's best year ever, on a 13-2 Super Bowl team (he missed one game) with a fabulous OL, a Hall of Fame RB and Hall of Fame to be WR.

Kelly's second best year ever, he threw for 25 TDs and he had only that one year over 3500 yards.

Just some perspective, not saying Fitz is as good as Kelly in any way. He's pretty good though.

Dont be to harsh on Fitz for those interceptions.a few of those came on the heels of having to pass more to come from behind and force throws to try and make something happen.Now if the team can stay ahead and control the game you'll see his interceptions go down

To be fair, then, you could say that a lot of his yards came from having to pass more because...

---

In the end, I think those are just fine stats, especially if we have a solid defense and running attack. He can hold the the position until we can groom our next Jim Kelly, as far as I'm concerned. :D

288-491 (58.6%) 3541 yards 31 Tds and 16 ints

Three 4 TD games in that span

Yes I know there were a few stinker games in there, but 31 TDs from our QB and 3500 yards? Thats a damn fine season especially if he can cut down on INTs

Hey I like the gun slinger approach INTs come with that.

Yes I know there were a few stinker games in there, but 31 TDs from our QB and 3500 yards? Thats a damn fine season especially if he can cut down on INTs

Key here is three games with 4 TD's...that means 40% of his TD production essentially came in 3 games. You also left off all his lost fumbles, thats 21 turnovers in 16 games.

Stat totals can be misleading. It looks good at first glance, but he struggled in many of the other 13 games where he also got several garbage time TD's to also pad that stat line.

That being said, he looked good yesterday and I loved seeing it and had a lot of fun watching the game...but the thing with Fitz is that he has boom or bust issues, and more often bust. What I need to see from him is consistency and to string some good games together. Raiders will be a good test for him and this offense as their D looked sharp last night, so looking forward to seeing if we can string a couple of good performances together by not only Fitz, but the rest of the offense and the D.

Jim Kelly's best year ever was 1991 when he threw 33 TDs and 17 INTs, basically the same 2-1 ratio that Fitz has. He threw 474 passes to those 491 for Fitz. He threw for 3844 yards to Fitz's 3541 and he had a much better completion average. But this was Jim Kelly's best year ever, on a 13-2 Super Bowl team (he missed one game) with a fabulous OL, a Hall of Fame RB and Hall of Fame to be WR.

Kelly's second best year ever, he threw for 25 TDs and he had only that one year over 3500 yards.

Just some perspective, not saying Fitz is as good as Kelly in any way. He's pretty good though.

Interesting comparison ... Fitz and Gailey make a great tandem so it is hard to see the situation changing anytime soon. Even if the Bills draft a stud QB he will likely sit for a couple of years.

If he can improve his completion % and YPA (slightly) we will be in great shape!

Although most of the national media will not acknowledge it--or maybe more accurately: just doesn't know because they really don't do their homework; they perceive based on who they think is suppose to be good--right now, Fitz is in the top third of the league as a quarterback. Yes, there are some out there that we would take over him in a heartbeat, but not the majority.

With his intelligence, moxy, leadership presence, and, yes, even physical ability, he is a legitimate NFL quarterback, and better than most starting at that position in the NFL now. I like what we have behind the center, this team can win with him.

In all fairness though - kellys average seasons put him at the top of the league in his era and those numbers would struggle to be top 10-15 most seasons now.

Key here is three games with 4 TD's...that means 40% of his TD production essentially came in 3 games. You also left off all his lost fumbles, thats 21 turnovers in 16 games.

Stat totals can be misleading. It looks good at first glance, but he struggled in many of the other 13 games where he also got several garbage time TD's to also pad that stat line.

That being said, he looked good yesterday and I loved seeing it and had a lot of fun watching the game...but the thing with Fitz is that he has boom or bust issues, and more often bust. What I need to see from him is consistency and to string some good games together. Raiders will be a good test for him and this offense as their D looked sharp last night, so looking forward to seeing if we can string a couple of good performances together by not only Fitz, but the rest of the offense and the D.

Right! and I can play that game too. 8 of his turnovers were in only 2 games. Why can't you just give the guy some credit instead of trying to pick his accomplishments apart?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/interceptions/year/2010

15 INT's in a full season is actually very cut down already... Even 21 total is better then the majority of QB's that play 16 games in this league

Brees, P and E Manning, Farve all threw more INT's last year

Edited by shibuya

Yea I'd like to see consistency too. He's still "showing flashes" and not someone I would trust any given week witha big game. Because of that I put him firmly in the middle of the pack.

Impressive stats for sure, but you left out the most important-Wins and Losses. Not saying he can win or lose all by himself by any means, but he did have at least a few games in crunch time when he threw terrible passes. He also had at least one that is fresh in everyone's memory, where he should have one more win than he does, but his receiver let him down. He has produced more than most thought he could, but the Bills were right at the top in turnovers, which can be a game changer over and over.

Edited by billsfreak

Impressive stats for sure, but you left out the most important-Wins and Losses. Not saying he can win or lose all by himself by any means, but he did have at least a few games in crunch time when he threw terrible passes. He also had at least one that is fresh in everyone's memory, where he should have one more win than he does, but his receiver let him down. He has produced more than most thought he could, but the Bills were right at the top in turnovers, which can be a game changer over and over.

I think his wins and losses are trending in the right direction.

post-13793-029569200 1316006216_thumb.png

Looks like something "clicked" with the team/Ryan/whatever in terms of win/losses half way through the year last year, and has been on an ok trend since then. Is Fitzpatrick throwing up HOF numbers/wins? Not at the moment. But I don't think we have anyone else on the roster who would be taking this team in the right direction.

Edit:

If we use only Chan era starts, we get this:

post-13793-040555500 1316006522_thumb.png

Edited by Dorkington

I think his wins and losses are trending in the right direction.

post-13793-029569200 1316006216_thumb.png

Looks like something "clicked" with the team/Ryan/whatever in terms of win/losses half way through the year last year, and has been on an ok trend since then. Is Fitzpatrick throwing up HOF numbers/wins? Not at the moment. But I don't think we have anyone else on the roster who would be taking this team in the right direction.

There is no question he is the best option on this roster at QB, in fact the way Thigpen played in the preseason he is the only option. I like Fitz, he will never be a QB that carries a team on his back to a winning season, but with a decent team around him, coupled with good game plans, there is no telling what he can accomplish.

at that pace (30 td's/season) it's time for Jerry Sullivan to run down Hertel Ave in his underwear.

ARGGHHHHHHH

GOOD QB = WINS = GOOD QB == WINS = BLAH BLAH BLAH

I HATE THAT ARGUMENT!!!!

QB is the single most important position, but it's not even close to 50% of the total.

You have to judge a QB on his play and his play only. If you are playing for a coach that has a horrible gameplan or a team with an awful defense and you lose but the QB went 22-29 for 308 yds 2TDs and 0 turnovers, is he a bum?

Ask Indianapolis Colts fans if they agree with you.

The Colts were build around Peyton Manning and what he does well. The defense is built to play pass coverage and rush the QB because Peyton gives them the lead. The offense was built to his strengths over the course of his career. He and the Colts are in a different boat than most teams in the NFL. They had a luxury with Peyton and exploited it. They are in a very unique situation.

I think there are few variables that COULD make a huge difference to Fitzy's production this year.

1. Being proclaimed the starter from the end of last year and having all of offseason, training camp, and preseason to get prepared for the season. He's no longer looking over his shoulder worrying about screwing up and having his job taken away. This gives him more confidence entering the season and allows him to be more aggressive with his young receivers.

2. Continuity under Gailey and the offense in general. No new head coach or system that needed to be altered. Remember, last year was a new head coach and he was still getting used to his receivers, Oline, coach, and system.

3. New relationship with Gailey. I think Fitz and Gailey have a really good relationship going into this season, they understand what each wants and what needs to be done. Gailey has said that he only has to tell Fitz something one time and he understands what he wants and can accomplish it right away. This quick learning and understanding between the two can create great chemistry.

Now I'm not saying Fitzpatrick is gonna go right out and be a elite QB, but I think these changes from last year will definitely improve Fitz and the offense and move things in the right direction.

2008 Cincinnati Bengals:

Fitzpatrick won-lost record as starter: 4-7-1

Carson Palmer won-lost record as starter: 0-3

Jordan Palmer won-lost record as starter: 0-1

2009 Buffalo Bills

Fitzpatrick won-lost record as starter: 4-4

Trent Edwards won-lost record as starter: 2-5

Brian Brohm won-lost record as starter: 0-1

Fitzpatrick won-lost record as starter in 2008-09: 8-11-1

Other QBs on same teams won lost record as starter: 2-10

2008 Cincinnati Bengals:

Fitzpatrick won-lost record as starter: 4-7-1

Carson Palmer won-lost record as starter: 0-3

Jordan Palmer won-lost record as starter: 0-1

2009 Buffalo Bills

Fitzpatrick won-lost record as starter: 4-4

Trent Edwards won-lost record as starter: 2-5

Brian Brohm won-lost record as starter: 0-1

Fitzpatrick won-lost record as starter in 2008-09: 8-11-1

Other QBs on same teams won lost record as starter: 2-10

This is actually quite telling. :thumbsup:

Right! and I can play that game too. 8 of his turnovers were in only 2 games. Why can't you just give the guy some credit instead of trying to pick his accomplishments apart?

I did give him props in the very post you are replying to. But if you want look at his totals and act like he was Mr. Consistent, then go right ahead. The truth is, in the majority of his games he was not nearly as effective as the totals make you think as a large chunk of the production came in a few games.

I gave him total props for Week 1, said I loved seeing it and had a blast watching the game. But no matter how deep your homerism runs, he still needs to string some weeks like this together. You want to know what he did after his first 4 TD game last year? He went for 12 TD's and 16 turnovers in his next 9 games with a 56% comp rate and a QB rating of 70. And 4 of those 12 TD's came in one game against Cincy.

So, unlike you, I would like to see him string some good games together in a row, beat some better teams, and show some consistency before I start believing our QB questions are answered. And truthfully, I hope to high heaven Fitz becomes our man, I really do as I like the guy and how he plays. But I need consistency...

PS: In 2 of his 4 TD games, the opposing defense lost their starting safety during the game. In fact, KC lost their best player on D and Cincy lost both starting safeties...

Edited by Alphadawg7

There were a few of us last summer, screaming and typing everywhere that Fitz needed to start vs. Miami in the 2010 opener. HE had already proven himself from the season before imo. Of course Trent got the nod and it was a big thud. I guess in hindsight, the Bills may not have gotten Dareus if things had gone differently. It's great to have so many Bills fan sin Fitz's corner now.

I'm not saying Fitz is a candidate for sainthood, and he's shown he can be inconsistent. But he's also showing that his ceiling may be higher than a lot of people have given him credit for and he's getting numbers to back it up as well.

Here's hoping the rock we're polishing turns out to be a diamond.

Honest to god, name me one QB who NEVER has a bad day. Brady, maybe. Fitz is as consistent as any QB.

PTR

I can live with Fitz's picks. He's no more of a risk-taker than many other elite QB's in this league. Two of his TD's last game were in really tight spots. I'd rather see him make those throws and risk a pick, than hold onto the ball and take sacks.

or hold onto the ball and settle for the FG, "BORING"