Who is Patrick Moran? Supposedly major news.

bbb

If it was legal they wouldn't confiscate it. In fact, if it was anything legal, the NFL couldn't do a damn thing. The NFL can't suspend someone over rumors.

Never said they would. Just threw Idea out for why he's not in jail if it's true. Could be out for testing too. Was simply thinking out loud.

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Merriman is being detained by Canadian officials, although he still manages to play a game in Chicago and attend training camp. :doh: But the Pantywad sisters at BillsZone are having a aneurysm right now.

PTR

Not to mention the Bills would be starting a player that they know will be suspended for an entire year. If this rumor were true, Merriman would have been cut a long time ago.

An "unauthorized medication" doesn't sound like steroids or anything else illegal. It also doesn't mean anything banned by the NFL. Why would the border guards care about legal US substances that are banned by the NFL?

I don't know what medical items are unauthorized to enter the US with, but even if true this could be a lot of hoopla about nothing.

Or he could be a Quebecian drug mule.

Isn't Merriman subject to regular testing as a previous offender? I might be wrong, but how does something that supposedly happened in late July and is "reported" on a blog 8/1 not get picked up by major media outlets if there's a hint of truth to it?

Merriman is being detained by Canadian officials, although he still manages to play a game in Chicago and attend training camp. :doh: But the Pantywad sisters at BillsZone are having a aneurysm right now.

PTR

Thank you for putting words in my mouth PTR. Never claimed a third rate fan site was a credible source, just found it odd that it was being discussed on 7/31. Not sure how you gleaned the above from "Here's another."

Isn't Merriman subject to regular testing as a previous offender? I might be wrong, but how does something that supposedly happened in late July and is "reported" on a blog 8/1 not get picked up by major media outlets if there's a hint of truth to it?

I think people are confusing two separate issues. Border gaurds can essentially do what they want. They are not subject to the same rules as your local PD.

Merriman is on the practice field right now, as a spectator--- I highly doubt that, if news were about to break regarding steroids and Merriman, he'd be anywhere near the practice field.

An "unauthorized medication" doesn't sound like steroids or anything else illegal. It also doesn't mean anything banned by the NFL. Why would the border guards care about legal US substances that are banned by the NFL?

I don't know what medical items are unauthorized to enter the US with, but even if true this could be a lot of hoopla about nothing.

Or he could be a Quebecian drug mule.

There were two particular substances that he attempted to bring over.

I believe both are banned by the NFL; I know that one is for sure.

Because they only report what's directly in front of their faces?

I wonder if Merriman got caught with 2-2-2's? Ibuprofin w/codine. Legal in Canada, not in USA.

PTR

Or Tylenol 3. That wouldn't be major news though, that kind of crap happens all the time. He probably wouldn't even get charged with a crime.

Is pseudoephedrine banned? Wouldn't that be great..."Breaking news: Merriman caught with OTC allergy medication."

Seriously, the only real doubt I have about this story is that the reporting of it seems backwards. Usually, the story breaks, THEN the team calls the PC for damage control. The fishiest thing about this is the Bills being proactive in calling a press conference about it. When the hell are the Bills proactive at anything?

What two substances? And which one is banned by the NFL?

GO BILLS!!!

For those that aren't aware (clearly there are quite a few), the timeline makes perfect sense. The substances found in late July would have been sent to a lab for testing (process which takes weeks for testing and subsequent result sent back).

For those that aren't aware (clearly there are quite a few), the timeline makes perfect sense. The substances found in late July would have been sent to a lab for testing (process which takes weeks for testing and subsequent result sent back).

That also implies not just carrying, but smuggling.

Up until a couple of weeks ago there was no HGH testing done by the NFL.

So basically instead of telling us what you actually know, you are leading people on for no reason just to get them up in arms? Sounds trollish. Why don't you just write what you know?

Starting to break? 17 days is one helluva "start."

GO BILLS!!!

Not saying it's true or not, as I have no idea. But... if Merriman was found with suspected contraband, such as steroids, it's possible that he wasn't charged right away because authorities needed scientific confirmation, (lab analysis) to confirm the nature if the substance. Because steroids cases are very rare in Erie County, the Erie County lab is not equipped to do an analysis for steroids. Meaning, the substance would need to be sent to Olean for testing in the state lab.

There is always a huge backlog at the state lab, and the expected turnaround time to get a lab result is usually... three weeks.

I'm thinking its that they will be making a play for pryor. The extra 4th they picked up for lee would soften the blow as he's thought to go in the 4 or 5 range. Hope not but I wouldn't be suprised if this is what happens.

Would prefer it to be an extra 1st for the vick bs tho!

Not saying it's true or not, as I have no idea. But... if Merriman was found with suspected contraband, such as steroids, it's possible that he wasn't charged right away because authorities needed scientific confirmation, (lab analysis) to confirm the nature if the substance. Because steroids cases are very rare in Erie County, the Erie County lab is not equipped to do an analysis for steroids. Meaning, the substance would need to be sent to Olean for testing in the state lab.

There is always a huge backlog at the state lab, and the expected turnaround time to get a lab result is usually... three weeks.

I'm honestly surprised the turnaround is even that quick.

So basically instead of telling us what you actually know, you are leading people on for no reason just to get them up in arms? Sounds trollish. Why don't you just write what you know?

Because it's irrelevant.

If it's banned by the NFL, would it matter if it was called "hemoglobin bioclopsin?" No, it wouldn't.

I'm thinking its that they will be making a play for pryor. The extra 4th they picked up for lee would soften the blow as he's thought to go in the 4 or 5 range. Hope not but I wouldn't be suprised if this is what happens.

Would prefer it to be an extra 1st for the vick bs tho!

There's no way they go after Pryor. Everything the could possibly get out of him they already have in Brad Smith.

Is pseudoephedrine banned? Wouldn't that be great..."Breaking news: Merriman caught with OTC allergy medication."

Seriously, the only real doubt I have about this story is that the reporting of it seems backwards. Usually, the story breaks, THEN the team calls the PC for damage control. The fishiest thing about this is the Bills being proactive in calling a press conference about it. When the hell are the Bills proactive at anything?

Have they called a press conference?

I appreciate where you're coming from but I'm just looking at it in terms of a "breaking" story. Whether or not substances needed to be tested does not preclude a story from being reported. Merriman getting caught with ANYTHING is big news waiting to happen. Every reporter worth his salt would be all over this in a minute. That's why it wouldn't take 17 days for a story to break.

GO BILLS!!!

Because it's irrelevant.

If it's banned by the NFL, would it matter if it was called "hemoglobin bioclopsin?" No, it wouldn't.

So if I understand you correctly, you will tell us that there were two substances involved because that's important, but refuse to state what they are because that's irrelevant?

GO BILLS!!!

So if I understand you correctly, you will tell us that there were two substances involved because that's important, but refuse to state what they are because that's irrelevant?

GO BILLS!!!

Yes.

Why are they important? This is a football forum, where we care about the ramifications of a particular player being suspended because of league rules. If this was a pharmaceutical forum, I may be more inclined to oblige.

I don't know what labs you're working with but the freaking Amish could return a test in two weeks. Modern labs would only require a matter of days if not hours.

I appreciate where you're coming from but I'm just looking at it in terms of a "breaking" story. Whether or not substances needed to be tested does not preclude a story from being reported. Merriman getting caught with ANYTHING is big news waiting to happen. Every reporter worth his salt would be all over this in a minute. That's why it wouldn't take 17 days for a story to break.

GO BILLS!!!

No decent reporter will try to jump a story and get burned badly if it doesn't come to fruition.

Imagine reporting the story only to find out that the samples taken were negative?