Tua holding out?

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

He clearly deserves 60 million per 😈

For six years fully guaranteed, 😁👍

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Dumb for him to hold out. I'm sure Miami's FO really doesnt want to give him $50-60M/year.

Maybe that's the issue. The offers from the Dolphins are lower than he expected.

If I were the Dolphins, I'd let him walk. But as a Bills fan I hope he gets himself a big contract there.

Not stupid at all IMO.  Tua made it intact through a whole season last year.  And by negotiating now, the Fins would be in real trouble without him this season.  

Tua probably gave the idea of retiring a lot of thought the last two years .  And he now knows what priority the Fins have for his well-being when the ran him back out there after being concussed in the Bills game.  Another big blow and I could see him calling it quits.  It would take money early if I were him.  And I would squeeze every dime out of Miami as well.

• Agree 3

Contrary opinion here, Tua has them by the balls.  They've splashed out to surround the QB with weapons, with contracts that are going to look really bad in a couple years if not sooner.  If they let Tua walk, who on earth are they going to plug in that's going to give them any shot?  In terms of watching the dolphins be a bad football team, they would definitely be worse without Tua, and we can all point and laugh when they inevitably make him the highest paid QB in the league but i don't see that they have a choice.  OTOH a couple things go their way last season and they're playing KC in Miami in the warm instead of what they got, and things might look different.  They're not as far out of the paint as we make them out to be

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Dumb for him to hold out. I'm sure Miami's FO really doesnt want to give him $50-60M/year.

Maybe that's the issue. The offers from the Dolphins are lower than he expected.

If I were the Dolphins, I'd let him walk. But as a Bills fan I hope he gets himself a big contract there.

How is it dumb for him to hold out when he’ll never have as much leverage as he does now?  He’s on the last year of his deal. If he gets hurt, they can cut him loose and he never sees another dime. Dumb would be playing out the last year of his deal and letting Miami run him out there not really caring if he gets crushed or not because they have no skin in the game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I read somewhere that the team is trying to make the contract incentive heavy.  Not a ton of guaranteed money.  If Tua stays healthy and plays he’ll get paid if not the team is off the hook.  Obviously Tua’s agent doesn’t want that…

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I mean, what Dolphins activities have there been as yet?  At this point, it's normally a couple weeks of Phase I OTAs, and rookie minicamp (veterans not invited)

Some Holdout

49 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I'm not sure what part of voluntary people don't understand

Not only that, but "Phase I OTAs" are workouts with S&C coaches and (I think) classroom work

Though I think QBs are allowed to throw to receivers now after teams complained the Chiefs were doing an end-around by holding "virtual phase I OTAs" while Mahomes threw to his receivers outside the facilities.

Edited by Beck Water

2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Voluntary being the key word here.  

The article explains why it's meaningful:

Tagovailoa has been absent for the large majority of voluntary offseason work since the Dolphins reported back April 15, sources close to the situation told CBS Sports. That is in stark contrast to his first four seasons in the league, when Tagovailoa was present for most of the voluntary work.

Sources believe his absence is related to his contract status.

Like many players before him, Tagovailoa is seemingly using his absence from voluntary work as leverage for a new deal. He did show up to the facilities early during offseason work, and the team captured him on the field on April 19. But how long he's willing to stay away is unclear. Should this stretch into training camp, Tagovailoa would be subject to a $40,000 fine for every day he's absent, but a league source indicated the Dolphins could reduce the fine or waive it entirely.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

He clearly deserves 60 million per 😈

I was thinking more like $80 million per year over the next 10 years all fully guaranteed.  I mean, you have to pay a premium for the most accurate QB in the league.

For me, this isn’t a huge deal at this point. It is voluntary. It does probably indicate that the 2 sides aren’t as close as we have been led to believe. I hope that they get it done soon. The least thing that I want is Tua falling off and Miami escaping without his contract being an anchor. 

• Like (+1) 1

I can see this lasting awhile.  The trend has been for virtually every QB signing a new deal to be the highest paid.  With Goff just getting a $53M/year extension, I have no doubt Tua's looking for at least that much, with a significant portion guaranteed.

If I am Tua I am holding out for sure. This is his best chance to get paid and the Phins don't have any other options right now. If Phins start over they are likely 3 years from being good and Hill will be cooked by then. 

I'm not scared of Tua, but he is good. Not great, but good. I'd rather the Dolphins not sign him and then see them struggle to find another QB for a few years. Even if they find another good QB, it will take 2 or 3 years for him to develop, and then there is no guarantee he is better than Tua. Chances are he'll be worse.

So, I'd rather see a QB carousel in Miami, honestly. Finding an elite QB is extremely hard to do. That's why they have to pay Tua, because even though he isn't elite, he is good, and the alternative is far too risky.

• Like (+1) 1