Micah Hyde and safety depth discussion

Hello!

Apologies if this has been discussed (I didn't see it over a few pages).

I'm looking at Hyde sitting there waiting while is market value decreases....  Right now we are arguably projected to start Rapp/Bishop at safety.  If Hyde can come back on a 1 year contract for a playoff push and at an affordable price, is this something YOU would endorse?  And are there any rumors out there with Hyde that I'm unaware of?

I love the Bishop pick, but he's still a rookie.  I'd rather have Hyde in there while Bishop develops in sub packages (Nickel/Dime, scenarios/matchups) if affordable.  

Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Bills make it sound like it’s up to Hyde and if he wants to come back at a modest amount. I think if all things are equal and he doesn’t retire, he’ll be back in Buffalo as one of the starting safeties. 

• Agree 3

He's going to sign a contract at home plate during his upcoming softball game.

Actually just read an article somewhere suggesting he will sign here after June 1st.  The fact that he hasn't done anything tells me he hasn't ruled out coming back.  Maybe waits until after mini camp?

It would be nice if loyalty, friendship, or the mythical hometown discount was something you could count on. But as JJ Watt, Hopkins, and innumerable other examples have shown: money is always the deciding factor.

700a6e255a60c0eaaa18b4969529bb16.jpg

Guessing Hyde isn’t interested in the rigors of participating in a full offseason program. Whether he’s interested in the rigors of a full regular season plus playoffs is the real question. I doubt we will know until just before training camp starts in July. I’m 100% certain he will be a post 6/1 signing if he comes back at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Yantha said:

Hello!

I'm looking at Hyde sitting there waiting while is market value decreases....  Right now we are arguably projected to start Rapp/Bishop at safety.  If Hyde can come back on a 1 year contract for a playoff push and at an affordable price, is this something YOU would endorse?  And are there any rumors out there with Hyde that I'm unaware of?

I love the Bishop pick, but he's still a rookie.  I'd rather have Hyde in there while Bishop develops in sub packages (Nickel/Dime, scenarios/matchups) if affordable.  

Thoughts?

As I often say. We don't know what we don't know.

I would venture a guess that his mind is made up. And from there, the Bills organization has made up their mind as well. So what could the hold up be on an announcement?

Doctors. Medical clarification. Making sure he can not only get on the field, but walk off it. 

I guessed earlier in the season and my guess remains the same. Buffalo has a loose agreement in place with Hyde. If he returns, Buffalo will welcome him back. If he doesn't return a spot on the coaching staff either this year or next season has been offered. 

And if he does come back, I'm hoping it's more of a backup, leadership role rather than close to 100% of the snaps he's seen in the past. Though I like Hyde and wish him nothing but the best...he was noticably slower last year. And how many games did he come out of injured? IMO he's past prime of a guy that's able to be depended on for 17 games. His best role would be spot duty and passing that knowledge bon IMO.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Yantha said:

Hello!

Thoughts?

No. Hyde is done and so is Poyer.  Their play has really dropped off.  Of Hyde is back I want him as a rotational backup.

Look we have to start getting rookies tons of playing time and hopefully starts.  We have to quit clinging to the past and latching on to specific players.  It's past time to move on.

• Like (+1) 4

Think he announces his retirement at his softball game like others have suggested.

Kinda think we are done adding players at safety. Edwards, Rapp and Bishop will be the main guys back there this year. I think the cap space we come into on 6/1 will be used  in-season (injury replacements, trade deadline acquisition) rather than to add another safety

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

I wish these guys could come back as depth players but they can't contribute to special teams. Though, he is damn good as a returner - he shouldn't be returning. 

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

Can’t imagine the Bills counting on Hyde in any way at this point. Had a great run here, but it’s over. 

But that’s the thing. With 3 other potential starting caliber players, they aren’t counting on him in any meaningful way. He’d be all upside for the roster. They could manage snaps, etc… and maximize his impact while limiting his exposure

47 minutes ago, LEBills said:

Think he announces his retirement at his softball game like others have suggested.

Kinda think we are done adding players at safety. Edwards, Rapp and Bishop will be the main guys back there this year. I think the cap space we come into on 6/1 will be used  in-season (injury replacements, trade deadline acquisition) rather than to add another safety

my gut is he may be a “stay in shape and we have you on speed dial” guy in case of injury 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Hard to tell.

Would love for him to help McD implement a Defense Micah seems to have etched into his brain

assistant  Coach ?

Not sure i want him on the field. New neck injury and he has lost a few steps.

Great player for Us and nuthin' but love 👍

I hope Hyde retires unless the Doctors say he’s 100% healthy.  Neck injuries are not something you want to mess around with or grow old with.  

If cleared, I’d love to have him back on a one year deal.   Or, if he does retire, bring him on in some form of coaching capacity. 

• Thank you (+1) 1