This Will Be The Make Or Break Year For This Regime

H2o

31 minutes ago, Avisan said:

Remind us again why you consider this elaborate fan fiction of yours to be a probable scenario?

What evidence do you have to support any of these ideas?

It's not me predicting a "probable" scenario.   The context of this thread is what would make McDermott and/or Beane NOT locks to stay.   The answer is Allen deciding he needs a situation change.   Capiche?

But I literally gave you an example, in Matt Stafford.   A beloved player who was totally invested in Detroit but finally decided he needed to go elsewhere to get a ring(s).

I am not an anti-McDermott person.    But Allen has been blocked from the SB 4 times and counting by Mahomes and Burrow.........who both have offensive minded HC's.  

Allen is a CA native and has chosen to make LA his home.  When asked why he lives there.......he says why wouldn't anyone want to live in LA?   He loves it and his GF lives there to boot.   Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay are arguably the 2 brightest offensive minds in the NFL and also happen to coach in CA and they have reached 4 of the last 6 SB's.    They've just been out-QB'd in the SB.   And they don't have long term commitments at the QB position.   

There are less elite QB's to compete against in the NFC.   More home time, more earning opportunities in LA.  And again,  a chance to play Mahomes in a Super Bowl with an elite HC instead of in a divisional round with a defensive HC whose defense has TOTALLY fallen apart in all 3 meetings with Mahomes.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 4/29/2024 at 2:04 PM, VW82 said:

Yeah, no. 

McBeane have been extended. We just started a rebuild. We’re coming off a sustained track record of success by any measure that isn’t just SB or bust. Some of you guys aren’t living in reality. 

Also, why does it feel like so many here just became fans in 2018? Do you guys not remember what two decades of incompetence actually looks like??

I agree with you, but also, didn't you just come here in 2018?

3 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

Idk, I agree McD is a bigger issue in big games than any other factor.

At the same time I don't see a coach being walked out when he's winning 11+ games a year. 

Philly kept Reid forever with the same issue. The Colts kept Dungy for a long time even though he was a big part of Manning losing to Brady in the playoffs.

If history repeats there is no way McD gets canned unless he has a 6-7 win season.

We shall see, but it's hard to put this as a make or break year when the only team that does better than them consistently is the Chiefs.

The coach is far less responsible for 11 wins every year than the future HOF qb is.  But because of Josh, Sean's job security is as safe as ever. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think the pressure is on Beane. He had some average drafts for 2019-2021, resulting in having to go out and pay premium assets and dollars on WR & Edge. Beane overspent on Von, & Diggs resigning, & missed projecting Bass’ sharp decline. 

As far as McDermott is concerned I think he is not a personal guy, meaning he can’t really be put in the same make or break category

Beane is in. McDermott doesn’t draft any player, hard to blame the guy. 

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Stafford was on one of the worst teams in football. We have won 4 straight AFC East titles.

For your view to be plausible:

- Josh would have to think McDermott has enough fault that it should cost him his job.

- Then Josh would have to throw a coup when he doesn't fully understand where the loyalties of his peers reside.

- Along with the hope being somehow those people will say, "yes, it needed to be that way for the greater good" vs "I don't trust QB1 anymore". 

- If Josh would go to this level he would have to hate McDermott so much he won't play here if he is here.

I will say absolutely zero chance exists that Joshua David Allen would act on the scenario you're proposing. If it could be less than zero if that was possible.  I actually would rather we move on from McD but it won't happen this way. Which is a reason why most in the replace him camp are even more dejected as we see no end with McD.  We could miss the playoffs next year and he will still be around. 

Sometimes star players just decide they need to work with other coaches and players because what they've been doing just isn't working.   Doesn't have to be hate.   None of your 4 "points" are in any way necessary for this to be plausible.

QB/front office conflict didn't stop Brady from winning his last couple SB's in NE.   Nor did it keep Rodgers from winning back-to-back MVP's.    

All that needs to happen is Allen just feeling like he needs change.   What's implausible is thinking that an elite QB will just be cool with the other side of the ball imploding every year in the playoffs.........when that side of the ball is the HC's specialty.   Started with blowing a 16 point lead in Houston in 2019.   Then a blowout in KC in 2020.   13 seconds.  Bengals just dominating the Bills defense at home in 2022 and same with Chiefs in 2023.  

McDermott's side of the ball has consistently let Allen's side down in the playoffs.   Doesn't have to hate him to think he needs a change.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Awwufelloff said:

Then we end up being the chargers with Rivers era, really good and make playoffs every year, but never make the big one. Are people here really okay settling for that? 

Some certainly seem to be. Apparently change is scary 

1 hour ago, Dr.Sack said:

I think the pressure is on Beane. He had some average drafts for 2019-2021, resulting in having to go out and pay premium assets and dollars on WR & Edge. Beane overspent on Von, & Diggs resigning, & missed projecting Bass’ sharp decline. 

As far as McDermott is concerned I think he is not a personal guy, meaning he can’t really be put in the same make or break category

Beane is in. McDermott doesn’t draft any player, hard to blame the guy. 

Who was ( ostensibly) in charge, on the field, during 13 seconds.

EASY to blame the guy.

Posters in the game thread were calling the right defensive concepts. McD…. Not so much

1 hour ago, Steve Billieve said:

I agree with you, but also, didn't you just come here in 2018?

I took a hiatus from Bills message boards for a good while there but I was pretty active on the team website in the early 00s. Some of the people here like Shaw obv migrated over, but lots didn't. 

On 4/29/2024 at 10:16 AM, H2o said:

We have all seen how things unfolded the last few years. A dismantling in the AFC Championship game by KC, 13 Seconds, the flop against Cincy, and then the recreation of Wide Right. McDermott has had friction with multiple coaches because he can't stop meddling. We've had 3 OC's the last 3 years. Frazier was sent packing, McDermott officially took over the defense, and now Babich is going to be "running" things. We've had some questionable draft choices when there seemed to be better options at the time, usually involving selecting defensive players. Now, because of the way they tried to build this squad, and the unnecessary drama, we are in what Beane calls a "transition" phase. 

People love to talk about 2017, how we handed KC Mahomes. Beane wasn't here for that though. It was strictly a McDermott draft based off of the work Whaley and his scouts had done. That draft brought us White, Dawkins, and Milano. If not for the injuries that have derailed White's career, we could talk about the entire situation in a different manner. You can't deny that, right now, Mahomes is on his way to staking a claim at GOAT status. It is what it is. Now fast forward to 2024. Knowing what Allen needed, what this team needed, they traded with KC. With the situation that has unfolded with Rashee Rice, you have to believe KC was looking at WR. They take the WR with the fastest recorded 40 of all time. Me, personally, Worthy doesn't scare me. Yes, he's fast. But he has had some drops and the guy is lighter than my 16 year old at 165lbs. Let him get out there to get squared up by some of these LB's and S's who outweigh him by 30lbs-70lbs. I just don't think he's built to last in this league. I don't see him as Tyreek Hill 2.0 at all. Tyreek is 25lbs heavier than him and is a 4.2 guy in pads, as well as on the track. Still, if I am wrong, the Bills FO just handed KC a guy who will give us fits for years to come. It will be another black eye on this organization from something McDermott, and this time Beane, had hands in. 

The "run it back" mentality has bit them this time. Because we were so close in the 13 seconds game, they developed this "run it back" type of mentality. Sure, we changed a player here or there, but many of the pieces have been the same squad since then. The weight is always, squarely, on Josh's shoulders. People try to use KC as a comparison and say look at what they were able to achieve without big name WR's, or whatever else. Well, KC has Mahomes, Andy Reid scheming the offense for Mahomes (probably THE largest difference), one of the greatest TE's ever to play the game, has typically had a top tier OL, a REALLY good defense littered with talent across the board, and a DC in Spagnuolo who has been a part of 4 SB winning defenses. Gabe never developed, Edmunds never developed, Von's knee, Poyer got old, Hyde's neck injury, White constantly on IR, constantly cycling out JAG's to fill holes, constantly rolling with meh WR's (outside of Diggs, who became more trouble than he was worth), keeping together a middling OL because Josh makes them look better than they actually are, defensive instability, and have changed the guy calling the offense out 3 times in 3 years. Now, on top of that, we find ourselves in Cap purgatory and still no closer to the goal we wish to achieve. 

Going into the 2024 draft, a blind man could see Josh needed weapons on the outside. We had big shoes to fill in Diggs and we needed an upgrade on what Gabe Davis was in this offense. Shakir has shown promise, but he's primarily been used in the Slot. We signed Curtis Samuel, who has primarily been a Slot guy as well. After that we were left with a bunch of JAG's we already had. In the best WR class in at least 10 years, we come away with one WR. I'm not counting the camp fodder UDFA's. We drafted ONE guy. Opinions vary on that one guy. He is truly a boundary WR though. Still, you would have thought this team would have doubled up on boundary guys for the sake of giving their generational talent QB more to work with. Instead they throw all their eggs in one basket by going Safety, DT, and RB with their next 3 selections. Kirby mentioned it in another thread, and I have to concur, that this team looks to have a bottom 5 WR group right now. Until proven otherwise on the field, it is what it is. I think it is a failure, as well as a disservice to JA17, to only have come away with one WR out of this class. This doesn't mean I hate our draft, or grade it an F. I just think it's par for the course we've already seen from this regime, a course that has always seen us come up short.

In the end, I think this year will be the make or break for both Beane and McDermott. To continue to do things the same way and expect different results is madness. If the players they drafted become a foundational youth movement, if you can see the results on the field as to what they were drafted for, if Samuel, Shakir, and Coleman make for a dangerous group, if we can transition on the fly like KC did a couple years ago, and if we didn't just make the KC offense unstoppable again, then they'll be around for a while. But there are A LOT of "if's" in that statement. At some point you have to pull the plug if it's not getting you any closer to what should be the goal of every franchise in professional sports, a championship. We shall see. 

It is so not.

• Thank you (+1) 1

They’re getting this year for sure. 

next season 2025. Have to make it to

afc game.

i go back and forth. I Wanted McDermott gone after 13 sec. I still want him gone. Hes going to be Marty schott. Or Tony Dungy . 

beane has spawned gms in Carolina , nyg , and some top personal ppl ( I think

hous ?) 

I think it’s generally hard to convince players to come to buffalo. Ny taxes. Not a major city. Stop w the “why wouldn’t they want to come play w Josh Allen” that’s not enough of a reason for top Players. Von basically was all in on Dallas and we had to

overpay and promise some sort of gm in training gig

Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2024 at 10:56 AM, GunnerBill said:

I disagree. I think that they wouldn't have begin this re-load process without Pegs being fully bought in. Unless the season is a disaster (and I mean like losing record territory) they will get 2025. I think expectations are lower this year and that will be reflected in the way things play out. 

i think you're right, but i hate the idea of having the same coach who squandered the first half of Josh's career seemingly locked-in to directing the second half.  

Edited by RyanC883
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

... I don't see a coach being walked out when he's winning 11+ games a year. 

The counterargument is that with Allen we'll always win 11 games.  Siht, we had coaches win 7, 8, or 9 games with crap at QB.   Having Allen would have propelled them to at least three or four more wins per season.  

Philly kept Reid forever with the same issue. The Colts kept Dungy for a long time even though he was a big part of Manning losing to Brady in the playoffs.

Dungy win a Super Bowl in his 5th season.  

Reid had McNabb, not Allen, and still went to the CCG in years 3-5 and to the Super Bowl in year 6, again, with McNabb.

McD's going on year 8 and we have nothing but wins over crap teams and mediocre QBs in the playoffs, and terrible coaching miscues against the good teams.  

If history repeats there is no way McD gets canned unless he has a 6-7 win season.

We shall see, but it's hard to put this as a make or break year when the only team that does better than them consistently is the Chiefs.

McD's not going anywhere unless it impacts the Pegula's bottom line.  He doesn't care about winning to a significant enough extent.  

On 4/30/2024 at 2:11 AM, BullBuchanan said:

Well, we "gave it a chance", and it was even worse than we told you it would be.

What the H do you want ? He has taken this team to 4 - yes - FOUR consecutive AFC Championships - has the highest winning percentage in his time here higher i believe than Marv and before that the team hadn't been to the play offs in 17 yrs .

So what is so much worse now than it was before he got here ?? And who is your choice to bring in that is just all of the sudden because they walk through the door going to take this team to the super bowl ??

If you can give me just 1 person as a head coach that you can guarantee would walk through the door & instantly make this team any better than it has been since McD has been here then i'll take it but you can't ...

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

As much as I have been critical of McDermott's defenses falling apart in the playoffs, what would it look like if Elam was at least competent and one of the recent DE picks was as good at being a DE as Oliver is at DT?

It could be a totally different defense 

Yes, I mentioned this in a game day post during the divisional round. It’s possible we beat the Chiefs if any of those guys made just one big play. 

8 hours ago, balln said:

They’re getting this year for sure. 

next season 2025. Have to make it to

afc game.

i go back and forth. I Wanted McDermott gone after 13 sec. I still want him gone. Hes going to be Marty schott. Or Tony Dungy . 

beane has spawned gms in Carolina , nyg , and some top personal ppl ( I think

hous ?) 

I think it’s generally hard to convince players to come to buffalo. Ny taxes. Not a major city. Stop w the “why wouldn’t they want to come play w Josh Allen” that’s not enough of a reason for top Players. Von basically was all in on Dallas and we had to

overpay and promise some sort of gm in training gig

I’ve never worried how difficult it might be to get players here in Buffalo. NFL champions are built through the draft, and solid free agency signings. This isn’t like pro baseball where big splash free agents win titles. 

On 4/29/2024 at 10:16 AM, H2o said:

We have all seen how things unfolded the last few years. A dismantling in the AFC Championship game by KC, 13 Seconds, the flop against Cincy, and then the recreation of Wide Right. McDermott has had friction with multiple coaches because he can't stop meddling. We've had 3 OC's the last 3 years. Frazier was sent packing, McDermott officially took over the defense, and now Babich is going to be "running" things. We've had some questionable draft choices when there seemed to be better options at the time, usually involving selecting defensive players. Now, because of the way they tried to build this squad, and the unnecessary drama, we are in what Beane calls a "transition" phase. 

People love to talk about 2017, how we handed KC Mahomes. Beane wasn't here for that though. It was strictly a McDermott draft based off of the work Whaley and his scouts had done. That draft brought us White, Dawkins, and Milano. If not for the injuries that have derailed White's career, we could talk about the entire situation in a different manner. You can't deny that, right now, Mahomes is on his way to staking a claim at GOAT status. It is what it is. Now fast forward to 2024. Knowing what Allen needed, what this team needed, they traded with KC. With the situation that has unfolded with Rashee Rice, you have to believe KC was looking at WR. They take the WR with the fastest recorded 40 of all time. Me, personally, Worthy doesn't scare me. Yes, he's fast. But he has had some drops and the guy is lighter than my 16 year old at 165lbs. Let him get out there to get squared up by some of these LB's and S's who outweigh him by 30lbs-70lbs. I just don't think he's built to last in this league. I don't see him as Tyreek Hill 2.0 at all. Tyreek is 25lbs heavier than him and is a 4.2 guy in pads, as well as on the track. Still, if I am wrong, the Bills FO just handed KC a guy who will give us fits for years to come. It will be another black eye on this organization from something McDermott, and this time Beane, had hands in. 

The "run it back" mentality has bit them this time. Because we were so close in the 13 seconds game, they developed this "run it back" type of mentality. Sure, we changed a player here or there, but many of the pieces have been the same squad since then. The weight is always, squarely, on Josh's shoulders. People try to use KC as a comparison and say look at what they were able to achieve without big name WR's, or whatever else. Well, KC has Mahomes, Andy Reid scheming the offense for Mahomes (probably THE largest difference), one of the greatest TE's ever to play the game, has typically had a top tier OL, a REALLY good defense littered with talent across the board, and a DC in Spagnuolo who has been a part of 4 SB winning defenses. Gabe never developed, Edmunds never developed, Von's knee, Poyer got old, Hyde's neck injury, White constantly on IR, constantly cycling out JAG's to fill holes, constantly rolling with meh WR's (outside of Diggs, who became more trouble than he was worth), keeping together a middling OL because Josh makes them look better than they actually are, defensive instability, and have changed the guy calling the offense out 3 times in 3 years. Now, on top of that, we find ourselves in Cap purgatory and still no closer to the goal we wish to achieve. 

Going into the 2024 draft, a blind man could see Josh needed weapons on the outside. We had big shoes to fill in Diggs and we needed an upgrade on what Gabe Davis was in this offense. Shakir has shown promise, but he's primarily been used in the Slot. We signed Curtis Samuel, who has primarily been a Slot guy as well. After that we were left with a bunch of JAG's we already had. In the best WR class in at least 10 years, we come away with one WR. I'm not counting the camp fodder UDFA's. We drafted ONE guy. Opinions vary on that one guy. He is truly a boundary WR though. Still, you would have thought this team would have doubled up on boundary guys for the sake of giving their generational talent QB more to work with. Instead they throw all their eggs in one basket by going Safety, DT, and RB with their next 3 selections. Kirby mentioned it in another thread, and I have to concur, that this team looks to have a bottom 5 WR group right now. Until proven otherwise on the field, it is what it is. I think it is a failure, as well as a disservice to JA17, to only have come away with one WR out of this class. This doesn't mean I hate our draft, or grade it an F. I just think it's par for the course we've already seen from this regime, a course that has always seen us come up short.

In the end, I think this year will be the make or break for both Beane and McDermott. To continue to do things the same way and expect different results is madness. If the players they drafted become a foundational youth movement, if you can see the results on the field as to what they were drafted for, if Samuel, Shakir, and Coleman make for a dangerous group, if we can transition on the fly like KC did a couple years ago, and if we didn't just make the KC offense unstoppable again, then they'll be around for a while. But there are A LOT of "if's" in that statement. At some point you have to pull the plug if it's not getting you any closer to what should be the goal of every franchise in professional sports, a championship. We shall see. 

No.  It won't.

Unless the team is really bad this year McDermott won't fire Beane.

In terms of passing on Mahomes... sure McD traded his draft rights to the Chiefs and he would've been very good but not potential GOAT here in Buffalo. Mahomes has had the fortune of playing under one of the GOAT offensive minds in the game where Allen has played for a Defensive HC that believes in complimentary football to keep his Defense off the field. Under Andy Reid Josh probably has a ring or two by this point.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Unless the team is really bad this year McDermott won't fire Beane.

In terms of passing on Mahomes... sure McD traded his draft rights to the Chiefs and he would've been very good but not potential GOAT here in Buffalo. Mahomes has had the fortune of playing under one of the GOAT offensive minds in the game where Allen has played for a Defensive HC that believes in complimentary football to keep his Defense off the field. Under Andy Reid Josh probably has a ring or two by this point.

The team could go 0-17 and McDermott can't fire Beane. He doesn't have the power to. Terry already said both men report to him so only Terry can do the firing.

On 4/29/2024 at 11:14 AM, gonzo1105 said:

They just gave Beane and McDermott contract extensions last offseason. What people want to happen is different from the reality of the situation. These two aren’t going anywhere unless they majorly flop 

Which they won't, unless JA goes down.  Even if JA goes down, Pegs isn't stupid enough to do a complete coach/GM, Offensive/Defensive scheme blow up and re-do.  That would set the team back years.   He has the right group.   Just go and make and be f-ing healthy for the playoffs.   They'll be fine.