Rd 4, Pick 128: RB Ray Davis, Kentucky

I have been reading up on the back story of Davis and I will 100% be rooting for this kid. If he does well I can see him in a Fred ex type of fan favorite.... Was homeless on several occassions before going through the foster care, his school teacher let him stay with her until he could move in with his grandparents. This kid has been knocked down several times and still made it to the top of the mountain, that's very impressive.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’m just gonna say it. I see a lot of Thurman Thomas in this guy. 🤷‍♂️

Last time the Bills had an RB named Davis he was backing up ol' Thurm. It's come full circle. Ray was the missing piece. They about to run four straight!

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Augie said:

There seems to be a trend appearing. I think the Bills might care more about how fast you play football  than what your 40 time is. Just a hunch, but there might be something to it.   

PFF has been mentioning a new metric that is proprietary called GAS?  A cumulative speed and explosion score taking game GPS scores.  Coleman is high on that list supposably.  

Davis is an all around back that walks in for the Murray role and very well become the primary back up too. 

• Like (+1) 3

22 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

There were other backs available who combined both more speed and better size.  I assume Beane knew all about them and chose to draft Davis instead.  I figure they must have known what they were doing.

I only watched his highlights, but he looks like a natural RB with great vision and cuts, able to choose the right way to go and get the most yards possible. Hopefully he's a hit!

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

60 Cook  / 40 Davis  split? 

Definitely think he'll take more 3rd down snaps initially, his pass catching and protection is a big reason he should get play early and often.

Short yardage over Cook too.

By seasons end, I could see him getting close to 30-40% once he's acclimated.

Cook has some flaws but difficult to pull a probowl/ascending RB off the field anymore than necessary.

I'm not sure if Davis has any kick return experience, but with the new kickoff rules it makes sense to have a RB or WR/RB hybrid (Samuel or other kid from OSU) returning kicks.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/28/2024 at 4:54 PM, transient said:

Pretty good receiver out of the backfield, both as an outlet and as a downfield option. Brady should be able to have fun scheming up some misdirection with the combination of him and Cook. Throw in the hybrid Curtis Samuel and they might even rediscover how to run a screen. 

Whats all this then ?

A screen ?

Has it ever been done with any success ?

Sounds risky

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

lol, not even close.  It will be 65 Cook/25 Johnson/10 Davis

Hmm.

6 hours ago, Mat68 said:

PFF has been mentioning a new metric that is proprietary called GAS?  A cumulative speed and explosion score taking game GPS scores.  Coleman is high on that list supposably.  

Davis is an all around back that walks in for the Murray role and very well become the primary back up too. 

Can you say more? 

It's like an extension of the top recorded speed ever Coleman recorded in the combine gauntlet; although apparently someone posted here that he never hit 20mph in a game last season? That seems weird. Would love to know more about the metric you're introducing here. Love that game vs timed speed tension. 

I've repeated a bunch on here (like anyone cares lol) how much I think that gauntlet showing (eclipsing Nacua's 2nd best ever mph from last year) is NOT nothing. Apparently the Bills agree to some extent.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/27/2024 at 1:32 PM, Chandler#81 said:

The play at 36 seconds is so much a bills play.  Qb almost gets sacked and ducks out of to throw a quick toss to the hb.  He takes it to house! its so easy to envision that on an upcoming sunday.

• Like (+1) 1

Ray Davis is a complete back and he was my favorite RB in the draft. He’s a legit 3 down back. He obviously is a good down hill runner, led his team in TD receptions and his best attribute is he’s a hell of a pass pro RB which Janes Cook is terrible at. Davis was an incredibly smart pick 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

I love this pick.  SO much short yardage opportunity for Davis here and really keeps Allen out of some bad possibilities for injury.  I think he is going to push Johnson back to primarily ST now.  This guy ran over/through quite a few SEC D-Lines with ease last season.  I am struggling to find anything negative about the pick.  What the highlite tapes don't show is just how often he needed short yardage and was keyed on and still managed to pick up the needed yards.  Always seemed to know where the marker was.  Should eliminate lots of the 1 yard short issues the Bills seem to have had the last few years in crucial moments.  Especially the back to back 3rd and 1 turning into 4th and 1. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/27/2024 at 1:38 PM, finn said:

How so? He looks like just another guy in his highlights, more like a free agent or camp fodder than a fourth-round pick. Not fast, big, or elusive. Sort of a dulled-down Singletary. What are you (and the Bills) seeing that I'm not? 

all the long td runs on the video ? 

Davis hit the 4th highest top speed among all college rbs last season, 21.7 mph vs Florida. People don't think of him as fast but only 3 rbs ran faster.

He ran for 280 yds that game and won me $ on FanDuel. 🙂

This guy is a legitimate 3 down back and will not be pigeonholed as a short yardage back. He'll be able to sub for Cook on any down and run the full playbook.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

lol, not even close.  It will be 65 Cook/25 Johnson/10 Davis

I don’t know why everyone assumes Johnson is a lock. I think he is going to be in a competion with frank gore jr for the last running back spot. He likely makes it as the 3rd rb but he has always been a journeyman RB and although I liked what he did at the end of last season people act like he accomplished way more than he actually did.

his stats:

132 rushing yards, 0 TDs, 1 fumble

72 receiving yards 1 td

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Blank Stare said:

A lot of pages here, so I’m sure it has already been mentioned, but does he remind anyone else of Travis Henry? 

I suppose it’s possible.     😋

• Haha (+1) 1