Rd 4, Pick 128: RB Ray Davis, Kentucky

For all of you adhering to the overhyped “don’t take a running back too high.” Remember with Brady we are a run first team. This is an offensive weapon. Seems like a great complementary pick  for the running back room. Besides, he seems like a special person will fit right into the process

Edited by Mojo44
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NickelCity said:

The only questions I have on him are how long he can remain in his prime, and how his pass protection is (I have no idea about the latter, I'm not saying it's bad)

I don’t think it matters. These guys all play for 4 years, and then bounce around the league. 

• Agree 2

Just now, LEBills said:

Bro is gonna be 25 in November 😅

Yeah, but who cares?

The Bills typically don't re-sign running backs to second contracts anyway (nor should they). It's not smart business. Running backs are "turn and burn". Even if he was 22, you still probably aren't re-signing him to a second contract.

If he has a productive 4-year career for the Bills as a backup to Cook, it's a good use of a late 4th round pick.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

Just from a high level philosophy, drafting a safety and a RB with two of our first four picks is bad strategy. The players might be good. But there is extremely low upside with that strategy. It's the two least valuable positions on the team.

it's not even the fact that we drafted another RB in the 4th. The dude is old and is going to see his rookie contract and that's it. 

• Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Look, we see what defenses around the league are doing. Dallas is the logical conclusion of the trend where seemingly everyone , Bills included, are going lighter on D.

Who are the buzziest names as offensive innovators? Kyle Shanahan and Ben Johnson. Each of whom has a punishing run game, use a fullback and use tight ends.

They also have legitimate receivers in Deebo/Aiyuk, St. Brown, and they use them.

3 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

I’m surprised they didn’t take Braelon Allen as well. Bigger back and 4 years younger!

What difference does age make with the Bills and a lot of other NFL trams philosophy? Draft them, let them finish their rookie deal and let them go. What’s the difference if that running back is 28 or 25 when it happens? 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

From Bob McGinn’s draft files:

6. RAY DAVIS, Kentucky (5-8 ½, 208, 4.52, 3-4): In a five-year career at three schools he led Temple in rushing twice, Vanderbilt once and Kentucky once. “He runs hard as *****,” one scout said. “He’s a f------ load. He’s productive, and they (Kentucky) never have an O-line. Never. I don’t know where he goes but every time I saw him on tape he was making yards.” One of 15 children, he spent much of his youth living in homeless shelters and foster care. “Three transfers – I didn’t want to like the guy because of all the transfers,” a second scout said. “The difference between him and Corum is this guy is more explosive. Made some one-handed catches. Height is the only problem. That and he does take a little punishment. I would rather have Corum because I know what he does play after play, but this guy is tough and more explosive. He’ll be 25 (in November).” Finished with 746 carries for 3,626 (4.9) and 29 TDs plus 94 catches, including an FBS high of seven touchdown receptions for a RB in 2023. “I like him way more than Wright,” said a third scout. “Tough, tough, determined, competitive, strength, explosiveness.” From San Francisco.

Funny - someone above this mentioned Travis Henry, then I read this and in my mind saw "has 15 children" 😛

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Just now, Bangarang said:

it's not even the fact that we drafted another RB in the 4th. The dude is old and is going to see his rookie contract and that's it. 

The Bills don't re-sign running backs to second contracts anyway. Most teams don't these days unless they're game changers.

How can you not root for him with his personal story? He looked thrilled to be a Bill on tv and all the ESPN guys were gushing about him. Like someone else said, he runs like Frank Gore and can catch too. That's a good back to pair with Cook. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

For all of you adhering to the overhyped “don’t take a running back too high.” Remember with Brady we are a run first team. This is an offensive weapon. Seems like a great complementary pick  for the running back room. Besides, he seems like a special person will fit right into the process

The Bills are not a run first team.