Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

Just now, OldTimer1960 said:

He can do everything - except get open.  
He is Gabe Davis with better hands and worse speed.  Hopefully, he can really learn to run routes to get open.

The big concern I have is the league is going speed, speed, speed and Bills grabbed basically a 3rd TE.  He is a very dominant blocker, though!

Considering that the consensus thought of Kincaid was that he was basically a WR more than a TE, I don't see the downfall of adding a player with the physical traits and ability of a Coleman to the outside; which should theoretically make Kincaid even more of a mismatch on defense from his position

3 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

How can 95% success rate be red??? Hell how can 77% be but then 73% be yellow?

There's a LOT that goes into Reception Perception. It's proven to be a pretty excellent (though not flawless) predictive model for WRs over the years. Arguably the best available.

Read more about it here if you care to. It's not some arbitrary thing.

https://receptionperception.com/introduction-to-reception-perception-and-its-new-home/

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Specifically in the playoffs. I'm so sick of watching physical CBs bully our outside WRs in the playoffs. Coleman IS the bully. That's the skill set I wanted.

Thank you, I’ve been looking for something to make me feel better. This is a fair point. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I just looked back at Kelvin Benjamin's scouting report. Guess what his 40 time was? 4.61. Guess what the report said? "Plays faster"

It's a Beane/McD thing. They've been trying to find that big receiver since they came to Buffalo. One epic fail (Benjamin), one moderate success (Gabe). Third time is a Hall of Famer.

That’s what I’ve been saying. This regime is all bout finding their “right type” or “character”

it’s getting old. He better be better than leggette , worthy and McConnkey

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Ugh

Coleman has no elite qualities whatsoever.

He is not even that big really,

6'3" 213 lbs? That's not big enough to bully cbs in the pros

Not very good at contested catches like everyone assumes..

Limited route tree and route running skills... I think he has a hard time getting open in the pros.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong but I think Beane completely blew it.

He does nothing elite, Coleman's yprr metrics were all in the lower percentiles...there were a number of wrs I'd have taken before him. 

Bummer

Bolded is just trash.. The dude is not going to break ankles but he is very good at contested at 50%.  There are very few WR's in the NFL that sustain higher than 50% contested...  I watched his Film. he is really good at body control.

Do i like this pick? No... Do I think Beane Blew it? Maybe... but lets not add horrible narratives to fit your argument... 

Edited by PrimeTime101
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

I guess I would have been more accepting of Coleman at end of 3rd round. This guy is so inconsistent catching the ball, lacks the ability to celebrate, fumbles and then makes the occasional sensational play. I feel like Josh Allen wanted Coleman because he likes to try and hurdle defenders. 

I had heard that about him as well...autocorrect is great

• Haha (+1) 1

I was on board with Ladd. Felt sick watching the Chargers celebrate at #34. Watched more Coleman of his highlights.

I started to see it. He will be a super-charged Gabe Davis.

He will catch all the TDs and close-calls Gabe dropped.

He will catch all of Cooks dropped TDs in the red zone.

He will get Josh's desperation passes running out the sideline in triple coverage.

And catch them.

I'm good. I encouraged my fellow Bills fans to back away from that ledge I was hanging over.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, QLBillsFan said:

Well you are the expert. Josh the franchise QB and our GM think he’s a good fit. But your well reasoned argument has me convinced me he’s a bust. 

I mean don’t have your own opinion, just copy Bean and Allen’s if you want. Scouts say he is a freak athlete.  Big deal, lots of guys are that are not good football players in the NFL. And his college numbers are subpar.   

I will say that although it's easy to be down on the pick for all the reasons mentioned and make jokes about Allen picking his wr Ken Dorsey, it does make me feel better than this was one of the guys Josh wanted. Maybe that's a relationship that will help make the team dynamic better. 

8 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

It's true. His 10-yard split (1.54 seconds) is quicker than some of the receivers who ran the 40 in the mid-4.4s. He already runs great routes and is great at the one thing receivers need to do....catch the ball.

• Like (+1) 2