Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

3 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

Allen is probably sick of his receivers not coming down with 50/50 balls, that's probably why he loves Coleman. Think about the shot he took to Gabe Davis in game 1 against the Jets last year, right through his hands. Think about the Diggs play against KC in the playoffs, right through his hands.

This is where I'm at with the pick. It seems like Allen had a lot of influence on who he thought would fit best into this new Brady offense, so I'm going to defer to him and trust that they've made a good decision.

Time will tell but I can't pretend to know better than Josh freakin' Allen about WRs. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, DJB said:

This is a message board no? So we are all entitled to our opinions? 

Right…..you are.  But you insinuating that the FO bypassed superior talent in order to fit their philosophy.  In their eyes, they drafted the superior talent.  

So, are there people who don't like the pick because it's bad for the team or they don't like the pick because he wasn't the guy that they would have chosen?.......if it's the latter, i can assure you that Beane and the FO really don't give a rat's ass who the fans would have picked and actually, neither do i.

I have spoken.

• Like (+1) 4

7 hours ago, CapeBreton said:

I've said it before, I don't trust the Bills wide receiver scouting and this looks like a questionable pick to me. Obviously the 40 time is pretty scary, but I also don't see this "play speed" that everyone is claiming he has. He looked great in the gauntlet drill at the combine but I don't see that on the field. I also wanted Worthy because his tape looks so much better than Coleman, hope I'm wrong. I am keeping my expectations very low with this guy. 

Also, it's going to suck when McConkey crushes it this year with Herbert, he'll get a ton of targets in that offence. 

Clearly you are not alone!  Just listen to me or other fans, listen to NFL scouts and GMs, many of whom had this guy dismissed as sort of a "broken" prospect.  Then others saw the magic deep inside him and think they can get it out of him.  

Obviously the Bills were in that latter group, wanting to take a chance on him but believing in his size and hands (I would guess...that seems to be his 2 big strengths).

I think it's more than fair to label him "boom or bust" as of right now.

No one will know anything about this guy until we watch him play for a year, and even then, he still might excel beyond that.

20 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I thought 3.49 was the over/under on how many plates he got at the Golden Corral. 

I have mentioned this here before, but back during the SB years, my sister worked as a waitress at a restaurant in Amherst, where many of the Bills would eat at.  She served House Ballard and other big guys who would sit with him several times; the House would find what he wanted on the menu and then order the entree x 2, for himself of course.   For real! 

I'm surprised it was only 2.  I'm sure he could put down 3!

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Clearly you are not alone!  Just listen to me or other fans, listen to NFL scouts and GMs, many of whom had this guy dismissed as sort of a "broken" prospect.  Then others saw the magic deep inside him and think they can get it out of him.  

Obviously the Bills were in that latter group, wanting to take a chance on him but believing in his size and hands (I would guess...that seems to be his 2 big strengths).

I think it's more than fair to label him "boom or bust" as of right now.

No one will know anything about this guy until we watch him play for a year, and even then, he still might excel beyond that.

I have mentioned this here before, but back during the SB years, my sister worked as a waitress at a restaurant in Amherst, where many of the Bills would eat at.  She served House Ballard and other big guys who would sit with him several times; the House would find what he wanted on the menu and then order the entree x 2, for himself of course.   For real! 

A guy nicknamed House orders two entrees?  Color me shocked!

45 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Maybe he didn’t have time for a 3rd entree because he was running late for a reservation at another restaurant?   🤷‍♂️. That was a GIANT of a man. 

We have to wait and see. Our Josh was not my first choice based on what little I saw of him in college. Keon was not my first choice, but again they know more than I do. I don’t think there’s a chance that he’s a “bust”, but he may not live up to his draft status. It happens, but I’m eager to see what it looks like. Pleasant surprises are always nice. 

2 hours ago, Mango said:

What is strictly? Like he takes 1 snap outside and suddenly you are a soothsayer? Almost no WR on any team in the NFL "strictly" just plays inside or outside. Curtis played nearly 70% of snaps from the slot last year. He also had similar usage under our OC Joe Brady when they were both in Carolina. 

Even guys who are pure slot receivers like Isaiah Mckenzie still have seasons where they spend 40%+ of snaps on the outside. 

Thank you.  You've helped me see better how it works.   Samuel will get 30% of the snaps at wideout.  So will Shakir.   That's 60%.  Kincaid will get 10%, minimum.   Cook and other running backs will get 5-10%.   Bills will play with an 8-man line on 5-10% of snaps.  That's 80-90% of a receiver full-time at wideout.  Coleman will get 80% of the other side.   There are you two wideouts.  

That's what is going to happen, unless the Bills come up with a more serious answer.   

There was an interesting take on NFL Live on ESPN today.  Mina Kimes who I have really come to respect as an NFL analyst when discussing Worthy vs Coleman, said that both the Bills and the Chiefs got the receivers they needed.  KC needed to add speed...which they did both in free agency and the draft, and the Bills needed to add size and physicality at WR.  She sees Shakir as the Bills deep threat as she really liked what he contributed in the last 7 games (she was one of the few analysts after the Diggs trade who referred to his production as declining and cited his last 7 games).  Dan Orlovsky loved the pick of Coleman for the Bills.  He sees the Bills as having offensive players that can contribute at all levels on the field, allowing Josh to simply make his reads vs focusing on one receiver.  Field Yates liked Legette better than both receivers.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CapeBreton said:

Allen is probably sick of his receivers not coming down with 50/50 balls, that's probably why he loves Coleman. Think about the shot he took to Gabe Davis in game 1 against the Jets last year, right through his hands. Think about the Diggs play against KC in the playoffs, right through his hands.

This. Allen places the ball right into the hands of his guys from like 60 yards away and they can’t catch them. I think he would rather throw to a guy who is covered, but who will go up and Moss one every time.

• Like (+1) 6

20 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Yes, let's use the abysmal performance of the WR room the second half of last year as the low bar threshold by which to measure what will be considered acceptable performance or not this year. The offense struggled. Maybe it won't with Brady and the new players, but I'm not all that confident about it. Kincaid is going to have to be the main target, I think, so I hope he has a leap and not a sophomore slump year.

He didn't say he is setting a low bar, he is saying all the people saying we "didn't replace Diggs and Davis" are not realizing how little production actually had to be replaced.  

What has this team been in the past?  SOFT.  Diggs disappears in the postseason...Davis is not a smart player and had unreliable hands and was one dimensional.  Those were our top 2 guys.  

Now, we drafted a dawg in Coleman, how is open when not open, who has incredible hands and a massive catch radius and a redzone beast.  Then we have Shakir who led the NFL in efficiency, catch rate, and yards per target in his 2nd year who is YAC beast.  Then you have the sure handed Kincaid who is a mismatch for defenses and a big target in redzones.  Then you add in a swiss army knife type guy in Samuel who has had between 50 and 80 catches 4 times (Davis never hit 50 even once) and runs a 4.3 forty and never had a chance to play with a real QB.  

Instead of 2 guys who underachieve in the postseason, who drop passes when it matters (yes Diggs did too), and are too often taken out of games...we now have guys who go out and make plays, guys with sure hands, guys who are tough and cerebral.  

Beane, like myself, got tired of the soft team that wasn't matching the toughness and physicality of its opponents preventing us from making that extra play or two to win these tough games where the other does make those extra plays or two.  

I mean we probably beat KC last year if Diggs doesn't drop the bomb.  Who did the Bills turn to for the go ahead TD on the final drive?  Shakir ran a perfect route open to the endzone before Chris Jones bullied Dawkins back enough to step on Allens foot on the throw causing him to short arm it.  

Diggs and Davis are addition by subtraction...just watch this year.  

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

4 hours ago, wettlaufer said:

Chill out, worry warts.

image.thumb.png.f4de7e8c986ba1c09423c3cf089567f0.png

yea . But the game has changed to a speed driven one.

And we needed a guy with outside speed.

Not a hater

But not what I thought was needed lol

No GM am I , thats for sure

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Not that slow. 

LOLd

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

This is where I'm at with the pick. It seems like Allen had a lot of influence on who he thought would fit best into this new Brady offense, so I'm going to defer to him and trust that they've made a good decision.

Time will tell but I can't pretend to know better than Josh freakin' Allen about WRs. 

I certainly hope that Allen was not involved in this pick.   That is not his job.   If the Bills picked Coleman because Allen wanted him then Beane definitely needs to be fired.  My guess is that the involvement by Allen was prefunctory, sort of like King Charles officially has to approve all legislation before it becomes law.

Coleman fits the high ceiling low floor profile of most early round Beane picks.  Except for the 40 time, he is a freakish athlete whose college stats are not super impressive.  Examples include Allen, Edmunds, Brown, Knox, Elam, and Rousseau.  They are betting on  that can teach him to separate in the pros. Hopefully they are right.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1