Why the Bills don't "need" a traditional X receiver

Mikey152

Problem Statement:  On various message board threads and draft analysis shows/tweets/articles, the Bills have been noted as needing an X receiver. This is likely due to the loss of Gabriel Davis and Stephon Diggs this offseason.

My Take:  This is a very simplistic take, and doesn't really take into account the Bills full roster makeup.

Why is that my take???

The Short Version:  Dalton Kincaid and Dawson Knox

The Long Version:  Most roster construction on offense is based on a fairly simple rule around what is and isn't a legal formation. All offenses, no matter how original, must have 7 or more players on the LOS for at least one second before the snap. The two players on either end must be eligible receivers, and everyone between them is ineligible. So almost every formation in the NFL has 5 OL, 2 Ends and 4 Backs. Anything else takes an eligible receiver off the board, and is usually only reserved for goal line/short yardage.

Why does this matter? Well, ends traditionally come in two types...Tight and Split. In other words, guys that line up close to the ball/OL and guys that don't. Every team has two of them on the field at all times, but there is no rule that says there needs to be one of each or how far a from the line a split end is. Also important to note before we talk about the Bills is that there are all kinds of backs...quarterbacks, running backs (half, full, tail, etc) and slot backs (fyi, flanker is just a term for a half back that lined up wide of the end and existed before forward passes were even legal). The traditional "receiver" backs, ie flanker and slot, are differentiated by where they line up...if you're between the OL and the end, you're a slot, and if you are outside the end, you're a flanker. This subtle difference often influences who covers them and the routes they run, so they are different positions even though they are both receivers that play off the line.

Anyway, on to the Bills. Because every team needs two ends and most teams fill at least one end role (and sometimes 2) with a wide receiver, it is assumed the Bills need at least one split end on the roster. And split ends traditionally are a bit bigger, because they have to play on the line and cannot be moving on the snap, so they are more susceptible to press coverage so they need to be able to be physical and make contested catches. If they can make aggressive defenses pay with deep speed too, even better. Adding to this, the Bills lost their two "best" traditional split ends in Diggs and Davis (though I would argue Diggs is more of a flanker/slot).

BUT...based on what I said above...You don't NEED a "split end" (aka a big WR), you just need two ends. You can also accomplish this with TWO TIGHT ENDS. You know, like Knox and Kincaid. So long as they are both on the line (tight, wide, or inbetween) and on opposite sides of the formation, all the other skill players can play off the ball. You can roll with 2 TE and two flankers, or two TE, a slot and a flanker, Two TE and two slots, or any other combination...You can also line up with both TE on one side of the LOS and a WR like Shakir or Samuel on the line on the other side, and if the defense shows press man you can use a shift to move one of the TE to the other side and let the WR take a step or two back or even go in motion. The point is, as long as the two TE are on the field together, you can dictate who can and can't be pressed.

All that said, there is a difference between a slot and a flanker, too. the Bills could really use a true flanker to stretch defenses vertically. They just don't have to be huge.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents...take it or leave it. I'd bet money that if they don't move up they are looking at Worthy/Franklin

Edited by Mikey152
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 7

I dont trust Joe Brady enough to be able to scheme plays where a traditional X is not needed.  I think we will end up with these smaller slot guys all getting jammed at the line.

Edited by Back2Buff
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

I dont trust Joe Brady enough to be able to scheme plays where a traditional X is not needed.  I think we will end up with these smaller slot guys all getting jammed at the line.

You don't play true press against a receiver off ball. It would be suicide. More like press bail where you line up on the line and bail out at the snap, trying to play the route stem with a more aggressive cushion.

1 minute ago, Mikey152 said:

You don't play true press against a receiver off ball. It would be suicide. More like press bail where you line up on the line and bail out at the snap, trying to play the route stem with a more aggressive cushion.

Happens all the time my man.  Teams were doing it to Diggs all last year.

• Agree 2

I like Kincaid a lot, but he's still just a 2nd year TE. Knox at this point is nothing more than a complimentary piece on offense to me and not someone I'm going to put a lot of hope in being a big factor for us.

Right now, our WR room is Shakir, Samuel, Shorter and Hollins. That's pitiful. Even if we trade up for a guy like Odunze, I still think our WR group isn't that strong. 

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Teams don’t  have the personnel to play that style of defense. If you’re even with Worthy he’s leavin, as they say.

Thanks for this post.

It likely won't get the play it should, because many don't care to get into the nuance of positional alignments, tight ends vs split ends, etc, but...it's good stuff. I appreciate you taking the time to type it up.

For what it's worth, I agree. 

I think the Bills are going to try their hardest to come away with a traditional X anyway, but if they don't manage to get one, I think they'll be fine, for the reasons you stated. 

The scheme versatility and creativity of modern NFL offenses -- not to mention the way NFL rules are currently set up -- make it so that you can have all sorts of non-traditional collections of personnel and can still produce on offense. 

NFL offenses are more likely to be limited by the imagination of their playcaller than by any personnel shortcomings they may have.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Happens all the time my man.  Teams were doing it to Diggs all last year.

Most of Diggs big plays this year were when he was off ball against aggressive coverage.

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Thanks for this post.

It likely won't get the play it should, because many don't care to get into the nuance of positional alignments, tight ends vs split ends, etc, but...it's good stuff. I appreciate you taking the time to type it up.

For what it's worth, I agree. 

I think the Bills are going to try their hardest to come away with a traditional X anyway, but if they don't manage to get one, I think they'll be fine, for the reasons you stated. 

The scheme versatility and creativity of modern NFL offenses -- not to mention the way NFL rules are currently set up -- make it so that you can have all sorts of non-traditional collections of personnel and can still produce on offense. 

NFL offenses are more likely to be limited by the imagination of their playcaller than by any personnel shortcomings they may have.

Thanks.

And don't get me wrong...I live in Ohio and I like MHJ just as much as the next guy. He can play on or off ball, and would likely send one of Knox/Shakir/Samuel to the bench instead of just Shakir/Samuel for a guy like Worthy or Franklin. But to me, that is more of a luxury than a need.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Mikey152 said:

Did you watch the Bills/ Chiefs game? We get abused at the line every time we play them. 

have you watched the Chiefs / Spags play at all? They would probably disagree heavily here. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Did you watch the Bills/ Chiefs game? We get abused at the line every time we play them. 

have you watched the Chiefs / Spags play at all? They would probably disagree heavily here. 

You need to go watch the all-22 of that divisional game. Were they aggressive? sure. Did they play press man against off ball receivers? no. did Diggs line up on the ball alot in that game? Yes...even when he was in the slot. Why? no Gabe Davis and Knox didn't see a lot of snaps

Edited by Mikey152

The Bills do need a dominant wide receiver after losing Diggs, but the weapons that we have left allow for some flexibility.

We have bigger body receivers in Kincaid, Shorter and Hollins, Speed receivers in Samuel, Isabella, and Hamler, and a budding star slot receiver in Shakir.

We need a talented receiver who can beat press coverage and get open downfield. 

My hope is that Beane double dips and takes receivers with different skill sets to exploit matchups.

Take one guy at #28 like Adonai Mitchell, Xavier Worthy, or Troy Franklin (I'm assuming Brian Thomas will be gone)

Pick #60 can be used to address another need like DT or Safety

Then, move up into the 3rd for a guy like Javon Baker, Malachi Corley, or Roman Wilson using the 2025 2nd rounder from the Diggs trade

Edited by Allen2D̶i̶g̶g̶s̶TBD
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Hardest players to jam are small quick guys. Easiest are big guys.

Its not about size and strength, its about technique and understanding what the defense is trying to do.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Its not about size and strength, its about technique and understanding what the defense is trying to do.

Especially if they are off the ball. If you can't get a hand in their chest at the snap, it's gonna be hard to get a good jam on a quick guy once he can move laterally.

I get the formation discussion but dont get the point that we dont need an X receiver. I may be taking liberties here, but most are referring more to the X as the #1 WR. The Bills do desperately need a #1 WR and that #1 is likely an X. But the NFL game has become much more dynamic than X lines up here, Y there, etc. Guys move around and your #1 will be in the slot, outside, in the backfield. Its all about creating mismatches. The Bills lack that guy (the traditional X) that teams will want to double team. WIthout it the Bills become a lot less dangerous. Nobody will be scared of Kincaid, Knox, Shakir, Samuels. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

If a defender misses on a jam, thats on the defender, not the offensive player being too quick.  These rules now days allow the defender to literally be right at the line and to mug the crap out the player for 5 yards.  Try jamming DK vs jamming Chase.  Much tougher to do anything to alter DK than Chase.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

If a defender misses on a jam, thats on the defender, not the offensive player being too quick.  These rules now days allow the defender to literally be right at the line and to mug the crap out the player for 5 yards.  Try jamming DK vs jamming Chase.  Much tougher to do anything to alter DK than Chase.

The whole point is, if a receiver isn't on the line, the defense has a hard time jamming them. Especially if they are quick. Most off the ball receivers don't get jammed at the line...a physical CB might play the route stem and take advantage of some liberal illegal contact rules to maintain leverage, but they're not trying to disrupt right from the line like true press man/bump and run on an on-the-ball receiver.

Edited by Mikey152

7 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

I don’t see it. I watch a lot of football. Rules today do not favor CBs.

The league is off zone coverage. Or bail technique.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I get the formation discussion but dont get the point that we dont need an X receiver. I may be taking liberties here, but most are referring more to the X as the #1 WR. The Bills do desperately need a #1 WR and that #1 is likely an X. But the NFL game has become much more dynamic than X lines up here, Y there, etc. Guys move around and your #1 will be in the slot, outside, in the backfield. Its all about creating mismatches. The Bills lack that guy (the traditional X) that teams will want to double team. WIthout it the Bills become a lot less dangerous. Nobody will be scared of Kincaid, Knox, Shakir, Samuels. 

I think that IS the point, though.

The Bills could really use some legitimate weapons...that isn't really up for debate. What IS up for debate is the skill set necessary for said weapons. Thomas and Mitchell over Worthy and Franklin, for example. All because the later two are too skinny.

6 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Much tougher jamming a guy on the move.  Dolphins started it last season, and others were using it by the end of the season.  Just put the guy they want to jam off the line and let him take off laterally before the snap.  All of a sudden, the jam gets really difficult, and if you miss, you man is running free in the defensive backfield. 

• Like (+1) 1

Mikey, I like your point, and I think there is another reason that makes a particular physical type less important than it used to be, and that is scheme.  The game has evolved a lot over the last 70 years, and one of the important ways it has evolved is that body type has become less important.  In the old days, a split end looked like this and a flanker looked like that.  Gary Collins and Paul Warfield, for example.  A tight end looked like Ernie Warlick.  A tight end like Pete Retzlaff was a real oddity, and the Eagles played him even though he didn't have a body to block like a tight end.  

The problem with having particular body types for particular positions was that the body type dictated the kinds of plays you could run with the guy.  So, for example, the defense always knew where the deep threat on the field was - just find the flanker.   You didn't need to worry about the split end going deep, because his body type made him a solid, physical athlete, but not a speedster.  

So, the game evolved, and the sizes of the players all converged.   Now there are a lot guys playing between, say 205 and 240.  Linebackers, corners, receivers, running backs.  Even some edge players.   Why?  Because they can do more things, and therefore they and their offense is less predictable.   Ideally, every player runs 4.3, but so long as you have several under 4.5, that's good enough to have multiple players who can challenge the defense.   So long as you have enough guys in the 220 pound range, you can play as physically as is necessary, at least in the regular season. 

The more you rely on a stud player, the more predictable your offense is.   When you offense is predictable, it's easier to scheme against.  By having a lot of guys who are multiple, you are less predictable, and less predictable makes you tougher to stop. 

I think Lebron and Davis make the Lakers predictable, and that's why they've had so much trouble building a winner around them.    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Well done, OP, but I am still in the camp of those who want a big X (split end.) I also want a flanker, only I think McConkey is that player (he's not a slot, no matter how many times folks say it.)

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, JMM said:

Nice writeup, but I disagree. In the NFL it's still the case you need a wr that can take the top off of a D, no matter the type of D. They need a true X.

You don’t think Tyreek takes the top off a defense? Because he can’t be playing X and be moving at the snap.

nobody is saying they can’t use an upgrade at receiver…just that the type of receiver they need shouldn’t be based on shakir/samuel or who left. When you include the TE, their possibilities open up quite a bit.

Edited by Mikey152
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yes they do

Someone not yet on the roster is going to get a significant amount of targets the next few seasons

It has to be a guy w the physical traits to warrant them

Yeah what @Mikey152 is missing is the critical importance of big plays.

Defense now is all about preventing them.........and the offense desperately need them because it's hard to execute 10-18 play drives in an era of such turnover and so little practice without unforced errors........let alone the forced one's.    

It's why scoring fell off around the league last season.

A lot of teams who thought they had enough good weapons going into last season found out they did not.

Those outside positions..........particularly the X being on the LOS and thus allowing you to put another receiver in motion to free them up.........are critically important because it's easier to get chunks out there if your QB can get the ball deep.

And Allen is a unicorn on a lot of deep throws.   He isn't a great bucket-ball tosser but he can reach parts of the field with ropes that defense's just aren't going to be able to consistently cover without leaving something wide open underneath or in the middle.   Not leaning into that strength would be organizational malpractice.

People think that the Bills were killing it offensively under Brady but the truth was that it was a struggle.   They were having to run Allen almost 10x per game down the stretch to make their small-ball passing game work.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And Allen is a unicorn on a lot of deep throws.   He isn't a great bucket-ball tosser but he can reach parts of the field with ropes that defense's just aren't going to be able to consistently cover without leaving something wide open underneath or in the middle.   Not leaning into that strength would be organizational malpractice.

Yessss. Thats my contention too -that more than "#1 WR" or "#2 WR", i rather think of our receivers are (in) capable of challenging the opposing D in every part of the field cos our QB can reach there without rainbowing passes. 

At this moment, we dont have that kind of field coverage from the WR room. The skillset leaves large areas of uncovered green. Hope that changes in the next 51 hours. 

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

This sums up my feelings, and although most of this board agrees on the need for a receiver, most people are higher on Brady than myself. Brady hasn’t shown the ability to turn us into those Pats teams with dominant tight end play and slot receivers. I think Allen and Brady both need a traditional number one. We’re not dealing with an offensive coach like Shanahan who can scheme new ways to win. Brady showed absolutely zero ability to involve Knox and Kincaid as a cohesive entity. Instead he threw everything back on the shoulders of Josh Allen. Two play makers at tight end should have allowed Josh easier throws, less need to run, and less difficult passes. We didn’t see that at all. I think I’m one of the few who isn’t on board with Brady at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I like Kincaid a lot, but he's still just a 2nd year TE. Knox at this point is nothing more than a complimentary piece on offense to me and not someone I'm going to put a lot of hope in being a big factor for us.

Right now, our WR room is Shakir, Samuel, Shorter and Hollins. That's pitiful. Even if we trade up for a guy like Odunze, I still think our WR group isn't that strong. 

Yeah, we need 2 strong additions. Especially when we know McD's defense is going to give up around 30-40+ points to the Chiefs in the playoffs as it always does, we need a strong WR group to be a real competitor. 

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Yessss. Thats my contention too -that more than "#1 WR" or "#2 WR", i rather think of our receivers are (in) capable of challenging the opposing D in every part of the field cos our QB can reach there without rainbowing passes. 

At this moment, we dont have that kind of field coverage from the WR room. The skillset leaves large areas of uncovered green. Hope that changes in the next 51 hours. 

There is also this phenomena where the further fans get from the regular season the more they start to connect dots that they had known that the universe will not allow to meet just months earlier.    "We don't need an X receiver" was once "sure, Trent Edwards probably CAN run a no huddle offense if you give him Lee Evans and TO".   The deeper we get into the offseason the more people forget games aren't won on paper, they are won on TV......where it's much move violent.    Mini-camps with their no-contact don't help quell the delusion.   

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah what @Mikey152 is missing is the critical importance of big plays.

Defense now is all about preventing them.........and the offense desperately need them because it's hard to execute 10-18 play drives in an era of such turnover and so little practice without unforced errors........let alone the forced one's.    

It's why scoring fell off around the league last season.

A lot of teams who thought they had enough good weapons going into last season found out they did not.

Those outside positions..........particularly the X being on the LOS and thus allowing you to put another receiver in motion to free them up.........are critically important because it's easier to get chunks out there if your QB can get the ball deep.

People think that the Bills were killing it offensively under Brady but the truth was that it was a struggle.   They were having to run Allen almost 10x per game down the stretch to make their small-ball passing game work.   

clearly you didn’t read the post…probably just the title.

Nowhere did I say the Bills should play small ball or not challenge defenses vertically. I also didn’t say they shouldnt draft a deep threat…in fact, I am sure they will. What I DID say was this idea of procuring a Thomas or Mitchell or even Coleman type of receiver over a Worthy or Franklin is a bit of a mistake.

big plays, yes. Big receiver, no.

• Disagree 1

14 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Much tougher jamming a guy on the move.  Dolphins started it last season, and others were using it by the end of the season.  Just put the guy they want to jam off the line and let him take off laterally before the snap.  All of a sudden, the jam gets really difficult, and if you miss, you man is running free in the defensive backfield. 

I completely agree with you there, however, going in motion and creating separation is not as easy as it sounds.  You need to have elite ability to change direction at the same speed which your running, the reason why Hill is so good.  The WR is running horizontal across the line, if they can't change direction on a dime, the CB will have zero issue staying with the WR.  

For what it's worth, here's my take.....

I don't know x's and o's and i don't know x and y and z WR's......i know none of that, however, i do know that the game philosophy these days is to control the middle. Yes, you want to control the trenches, but controlling the middle has become a huge factor in today's game plans. And contrary to popular belief, we have players that can control the middle, like Knox, Kincaid, Cook, etc.

We do need a WR who can stretch the field and help to open the middle up, however, this narrative that we can't win without one is nonsense.

I have spoken.

1 hour ago, Mikey152 said:

clearly you didn’t read the post…probably just the title.

Nowhere did I say the Bills should play small ball or not challenge defenses vertically. I also didn’t say they shouldnt draft a deep threat…in fact, I am sure they will. What I DID say was this idea of procuring a Thomas or Mitchell or even Coleman type of receiver over a Worthy or Franklin is a bit of a mistake.

big plays, yes. Big receiver, no.

Oh, I read it all.    I clearly addressed your point about the import of WHERE players line up on the LOS.   In real application,  it matters.   What you are talking about is compromising with regard to matchup advantages.    

That's a very "on paper" view of the game.  

And on paper Stef Diggs should have been putting up big numbers in the postseason in Buffalo.   Unfortunately,  on the field, his lack of physicality diminished his impact when the officials inevitably tucked away their flags.   There are clear advantages to having both size and speed on the perimeter.   Especially with the type of QB the Bills have.   Whether you call that a "need" or not is just semantics.   It's just unintelligent to not aspire to it. 

19 hours ago, Allen2D̶i̶g̶g̶s̶TBD said:

The Bills do need a dominant wide receiver after losing Diggs, but the weapons that we have left allow for some flexibility.

We have bigger body receivers in Kincaid, Shorter and Hollins, Speed receivers in Samuel, Isabella, and Hamler, and a budding star slot receiver in Shakir.

We need a talented receiver who can beat press coverage and get open downfield. 

My hope is that Beane double dips and takes receivers with different skill sets to exploit matchups.

Take one guy at #28 like Adonai Mitchell, Xavier Worthy, or Troy Franklin (I'm assuming Brian Thomas will be gone)

Pick #60 can be used to address another need like DT or Safety

Then, move up into the 3rd for a guy like Javon Baker, Malachi Corley, or Roman Wilson using the 2025 2nd rounder from the Diggs trade

Love the Avatar!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Oh, I read it all.    I clearly addressed your point about the import of WHERE players line up on the LOS.   In real application,  it matters.   What you are talking about is compromising with regard to matchup advantages.    

That's a very "on paper" view of the game.  

And on paper Stef Diggs should have been putting up big numbers in the postseason in Buffalo.   Unfortunately,  on the field, his lack of physicality diminished his impact when the officials inevitably tucked away their flags.   There are clear advantages to having both size and speed on the perimeter.   Especially with the type of QB the Bills have.   Whether you call that a "need" or not is just semantics.   It's just unintelligent to not aspire to it. 

A few points...

I'm not really seeing where you addressed my point about "where" players are lined up...are you talking about having an X on the LOS so another receiver can go in motion? If so, you're literally missing the entire point of my post. With two TE on the field a significant amount of the time, there is less need to line up a receiver at X when you can just have a TE do it.

Further, I think you are missing the whole point. Of course, all things being equal I would take a big fast WR with good hands and ability to separate...but those guys are almost always draft in the top 10. If they slide past that, there is usually something wrong with them. I'd take a Calvin Johnson, sure...but I don't want another Gabe Davis. In the late first round, you're going to be choosing between big fast guys with holes in their game, slot guys, and burners that lack size. Everyone I've seen on this board thinks our WR are too small and we need the big bodied X receiver like Mitchell or Leggette (or mortgage the future for Odunze) to go with Shakir and Samuel, and pretty much ignore and/or want to double dip on guys like Worthy, Franklin, Wilson, etc...all of whom were more productive in college AND better deep threats/YAC players.

Maybe you should go watch the Lions play offense. And while you're at it, tell me all about their huge X receiver...I'll wait.

Edited by Mikey152