Off Topic: Sabres rehire Lindy Ruff as Head Coach

• Chandler#81 changed the title to Off Topic: Sabres rehire Lindy Ruff as Head Coach
2 minutes ago, sleeby said:

Meh.   I seem to remember winning first period, losing second doing some lazy prevent nonsense and then losing the game.  Was glad when he was gone.

I remember the last 13 years. They were much worse.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

"Let me guess, you’re a fire Sean McDermott guy?"

No, but did start to see their point with how our defense plays in the final minutes of close games. 

Lindy had the Sabres lazily skating about in second quarters.  It was boring to watch and frustrating to see our lead disappear. 

Edited by sleeby
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

With the caveat that I know very little about hockey, this seems like the type of move a sports franchise makes when it has lost all confidence in its abilities to make good decisions. I'm not surprised Pegula did it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

With the caveat that I know very little about hockey, this seems like the type of move a sports franchise makes when it has lost all confidence in its abilities to make good decisions. I'm not surprised Pegula did it.

NHL is a coaching retread league. They typically just hire the same coaches over and over until they’re too old. The Sabres on the other hand have been hiring inexperienced coaches. The one retread they hired after drafting Eichel was Bylsma and he was considered a moron around the league, no one else would hire.

This is a quality hire by NHL standards. Ruff knows what he’s doing. He should do what he’s done everywhere, compete for a presidents trophy and make the playoffs. I wouldn’t expect a cup though as he hasn’t gotten over that hill.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 1

22 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

How did they win 52 games? Other teams surprised by how old the system was?

Trust me when I tell you......

The Devils won last year in spite of Lindy.

This year the Devils totally miscalculated their goaltending situation and Lindy's outdated system and lack of in game adjustments were too much to handle.

Lindy was fired WAY TOO LATE from the Devils and there is a reason he was fired in the first place.

Good luck Sabres fans.

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

Trust me when I tell you......

The Devils won last year in spite of Lindy.

This year the Devils totally miscalculated their goaltending situation and Lindy's outdated system and lack of in game adjustments were too much to handle.

Lindy was fired WAY TOO LATE from the Devils and there is a reason he was fired in the first place.

Good luck Sabres fans.

Yeah yeah. The guy 5th in all time wins had nothing to do with the winning. 

Listen, they said the same stuff about Lindy in Buffalo, multiple times. He won the division 3 different ways in Buffalo. With different systems.

Won in Dallas. Won in Jersey. He’ll win again in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Yeah. He’s a good coach. 

was was a good coach 20 years ago. Since 06 he's Been mostly terrible. 3 playoff appearances in the last 12 years and 6th place or worse 5 of the last 7 seasons was the best we could do? He's the Jeff Fisher of the NHL.

• Sad 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Listen, they said the same stuff about Lindy in Buffalo, multiple times. He won the division 3 different ways in Buffalo. With different systems.

I hope it works out for you guys, but Devils fans were calling for his head long before last year ever happened. 

Trust me, they won 52 games in spite of Lindy.

It's all in the past as the Devils have moved on. 

Good luck to you guys. 

• Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He "won" once in Dallas in 4 years and then "won" once in NJ in 4 years. The rest of the time he was on the bottom half of the division.

6 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

was was a good coach 20 years ago. Since 06 he's Been mostly terrible. 3 playoff appearances in the last 12 years and 6th place or worse 5 of the last 7 seasons was the best we could do? He's the Jeff Fisher of the NHL.

Won 40+ games 3/4 years with Dallas, including a 50 win season.

Took over the worst team in hockey in NJ and built them into a contender in 2 years.

He’s a coach that has built up bad teams to good teams.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

It’s the most Buffalo of Buffalo moves and I absolutely LOVE IT!

This is either going to be made into a Disney film when we win the Cup with Lindy or an absolute dumpster fire leading to a full house cleaning and I’m here for all of it!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, RunTheBall said:

It’s the most Buffalo of Buffalo moves and I absolutely LOVE IT!

This is either going to be made into a Disney film when we win the Cup with Lindy or an absolute dumpster fire leading to a full house cleaning and I’m here for all of it!

Coaches have returned to coach the same team a few times in the NHL. 

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Won 40+ games 3/4 with Dallas, including a 59 win season.

Took over the worst team in hockey in NJ and built them into a contender in 2 years.

He’s a coach that has built up bad teams to good teams.

He finished in 7th place in NJ 3/4 years. He finished in 5th or 6th 3/4 years in NJ.

It's honestly not too far off of Don Granato's record except he managed two good years out of 8 and lucked into the playoffs with 91 points another time.

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

He finished in 7th place in NJ 3/4 years. He finished in 5th or 6th 3/4 years in NJ.

It's honestly not too far off of Don Granato's record except he managed two good years out of 8 and lucked into the playoffs with 91 points another time.

He takes bad teams to the playoffs. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1