Will we be in Super Bowl contention this year?

2 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Again I say Kincaid could become a guy that gives DCs fits, but he's gotta become more than an intermediate receiver and show some big play ability.

1 minute ago, QLBillsFan said:

Yes and score TDs.. must improve on that to be a serious threat. 

I think Kincaid will become an elite weapon. I think he’s a Pro Bowl TE this year.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

You are pessimistic… they haven’t even been through the draft yet …

Again, I'm realistic. They are going into the draft with 5 massive holes, and I don't see a realistic scenario where they get more than 3 starting caliber players. There's no chance that they aren't starting someone who doesn't belong as a starter on even a terrible team, let alone one that says they hope to win. They'll never admit to it being a rebuild year, but it absolutely is.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

When did I say that they don’t have “upside?” Please share that post. Otherwise, you’re making stuff up. They could be better than they have been but that is ALL speculation. 

Their floor is also REALLY low. What happens if Shakir can’t handle volume? What if Shorter never makes the team? What if Samuel is exactly the guy that I said? 

The Bills, today, have a bottom 3 WR room. I appreciate you listing some of the teams in their tier. I think, currently the Giants are slightly better and the Pats are with Bourne, Juju, Osborn and Douglas. Neither is good but both are better. These are also the teams adding MHJ/Nabers/Odunze who are all better than every single WR on all 4 of those teams. 

By omission.. the data on Shakir in the 2nd half of the season was remarkable. Targets to catch % was #1. I missed the Giants as well. It’s fine if you think they are the 3rd worst WR room. And I’m not making anything up. The Bills will complete 390 passes to a wide variety of players. Some of whom will have the opportunity to make big plays in critical games when it counts. At that point it will be clear if the Bills sent Diggs packing one year too soon or not. 

7 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

No, I don’t feel we will be as good this year as in previous years…

But I don’t necessarily don’t think that’s a bad thing…We are in a mini rebuild, despite what the organization might say…And I feel this is a 2 year rebuild …👍

Bad time to be rebuilding when Pegs has got a lot of PSLs to sell

Just now, QLBillsFan said:

By omission.. the data on Shakir in the 2nd half of the season was remarkable. Targets to catch % was #1. I missed the Giants as well. It’s fine if you think they are the 3rd worst WR room. And I’m not making anything up. The Bills will complete 390 passes to a wide variety of players. Some of whom will have the opportunity to make big plays in critical games when it counts. At that point it will be clear if the Bills sent Diggs packing one year too soon or not. 

It was just such limited volume (like 38 targets) that I want to see more. He was awesome. I hope that’s the guy that he is with a lot more volume and attention. 

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Again, I'm realistic. They are going into the draft with 5 massive holes, and I don't see a realistic scenario where they get more than 3 starting caliber players. There's no chance that they aren't starting someone who doesn't belong as a starter on even a terrible team, let alone one that says they hope to win. They'll never admit to it being a rebuild year, but it absolutely is.

Holes ..like replacing the corpses of Hyde and Poyer  last year …? Safety is the least of my worries …

But look… if they aren’t walking away with 2 good WR prospects this time  next week ,,,I’ll be the first to agree with you …  

But I just can’t see that they have walked away from Diggs with no plan to replace him and Davis immediately…. Pegula wouldn’t have agreed to it otherwise ..he has got PSLs to sell, and a crap team wont help that ..

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It was just such limited volume (like 38 targets) that I want to see more. He was awesome. I hope that’s the guy that he is with a lot more volume and attention. 

Fair enough.. should be interesting how BB builds this over the next few months. Quick pan to Thursday night and BB trades back to take an OL or DT with pick 35 on Friday. We will all lose our … if that happens. 

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Fair enough.. should be interesting how BB builds this over the next few months. Quick pan to Thursday night and BB trades back to take an OL or DT with pick 35 on Friday. We will all lose our … if that happens. 

Lol, I’ll eventually talk myself into that being a good idea but it’s a disaster. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I think that when you have Allen at QB then yes, you are a contender.

KC has done more with less at WR, and there is no reason why the Bills can survive and thrive without Diggs.

We just need to get the work done this offseason, adding young talent, and a few cap casualty cast-offs.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

Sure, a team with Josh Allen in his prime, a coach going into his eighth year with the team, and a veteran roster is "rebuilding"...yeah, OK 

43 minutes ago, Trev said:

McD is still our coach. No we’re not in contention and we won’t be until he is replaced. 

So, who would you suggest to replace McDermott?   Mike McDaniel whose Fins were great at beating the crap out of bottom feeders (Broncos, Jests, Commanders, etc) but managed a single win against teams with winning records?   Maybe Bill Belichick? 

Edited by SoTier

We all expect a playoff birth. 

The Bills have an impressive regular season and win 12+ games but are playoff fakers and even lose ANOTHER home playoff game.

or

The Bills figure it out late (again) and go into the playoffs playing well, win a game and compete in another (again), which would be a surprise and give some hope for the following season.

Which scenario would you prefer?

9 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

We all expect a playoff birth. 

The Bills have an impressive regular season and win 12+ games but are playoff fakers and even lose ANOTHER home playoff game.

or

The Bills figure it out late (again) and go into the playoffs playing well, win a game and compete in another (again), which would be a surprise and give some hope for the following season.

Which scenario would you prefer?

I'd prefer the Bills to have some luck in the playoffs, especially in regard to coin flips and injuries.

24 minutes ago, Yantha said:

KC has done more with less at WR, and there is no reason why the Bills can survive and thrive without Diggs.

We just need to get the work done this offseason, adding young talent, and a few cap casualty cast-offs.

Agree on Allen 

But KC is not the template. They have a HoF offensive HC considered one of the best to ever do it and a HoF TE considered one of the best to ever do it. They've never not had at least one surefire HOF offensive weapon. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Yantha said:

Reid >>>>> Brady/McDermott 

23 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

Going to be a lot of disappointed Bills fans this year I see 

Vegas got them as 4th favourites … you got an opportunity make some real money this year 

Edited by Aussie Joe

Few things need to happen. Get a number 1 wr in the draft, sign a vet like DJ Chark as the number 2(the real number 2 is samuel in the slot), get a safety and von back to form.  I actually don't think this too much of an ask. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SoTier said:

So, who would you suggest to replace McDermott?   Mike McDaniel whose Fins were great at beating the crap out of bottom feeders (Broncos, Jests, Commanders, etc) but managed a single win against teams with winning records?   Maybe Bill Belichick? 

Jim Harbaugh was the obvious play this year. Ben Johnson would bring a much healthier culture of being large, dominant and assertive.  I’m sure there are several more prospects who could do a better job than our very average coach. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Few things need to happen. Get a number 1 wr in the draft, sign a vet like DJ Chark as the number 2(the real number 2 is samuel in the slot), get a safety and von back to form.  I actually don't think this too much of an ask. 

I agree that what you have listed is what is required … I wouldn’t say it’s an easy road ahead … but it’s also not impossible to achieve either ,,,

Draft 2 WR’s early or 1 + trade for one …. I think the Safety options Round 4 should be ok to patch something together this season…

DE is a concern … but they have just spent a few days eyeballing Miller so they should have a better idea than us how he is tracking … Still wouldn’t mind a guy in the draft …and the options aren’t great … 

On 4/20/2024 at 8:38 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

I find this baffling. Help me understand. The Bills have plugged in a variety of guys over the McDermott era and have been more or less the same. They’ve played extended periods without Poyer, Milano, Tre, Von, Hyde, etc… The scheme has had them more or less the same defense regardless of who is out there. They play a conservative zone where they try to avoid big plays and keep the game close. Why do we think, with most of the same guys (minus Poyer, Floyd & Hyde plus Milano) that they will be significantly different? Sean McDermott’s defenses are always about the same. Explain why I should be scared? If the answer is “pass rush” they may need to generate more with the blitz but outside of Floyd (who disappeared late in the year) what’s changed? 

The offense has to replace their number 1 and number 2 WRs from last year (not to mention their 4th & 5th). Those 2 guys account for like 250 targets. They added a special teamer and a gadget guy. Why are we comfortable that it’ll work with no boundary WRs on the roster except Shorter and Hollins? The Bills still need 200ish targets from guys not on the roster. It’ll be so easy to defend them right now with no outside threats. There is a Grand Canyon-sized chasm between the need for offense vs. the need for defense right now.

Help me understand how you’re comfortable with the offense but not the defense?

It’s been said here many times that Buffalo didn’t have the horses on defense to beat KC in the playoff game this year. Now they have less talent on that side of the ball. 

• Eyeroll 1

39 minutes ago, SaulGoodman said:

It’s been said here many times that Buffalo didn’t have the horses on defense to beat KC in the playoff game this year. Now they have less talent on that side of the ball. 

Really? Of all of the examples you could point to, you pointed to a game where Mahomes completed 17 passes and the Bills best defensive player didn’t play?

The Bills leading receiver in that game caught 5 passes for 45 yards. Their leading rusher, shockingly, was the QB that doesn’t have enough playmakers around him. That game is the PERFECT example of why you need to give Josh Allen playmakers. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Trev said:

Jim Harbaugh was the obvious play this year. Ben Johnson would bring a much healthier culture of being large, dominant and assertive.  I’m sure there are several more prospects who could do a better job than our very average coach. 

Harbaugh hasn't coached in the NFL in a decade, and the NFL in 2024 is very different than it was in 2014.   I'm not sure that Harbaugh realizes that since he hired Greg Roman as his OC when he has Justin Herbert as his QB.   Is Roman going to try to turn Herbert into a "dual threat QB" like Kaepernick or Lamar early in his career.

Ben Johnson has never been a HC in the NFL.  A lot of coordinators don't make particularly good HCs, and the list of coordinators who've been successful in their first head coaching gigs is rather small.   McDermott is one of them.

59 minutes ago, SaulGoodman said:

The Bills "didn't have the horses on defense to beat KC in the playoffs" in 2023 because their defense was decimated by injury late in the season.  Not only were they missing Milano and White, but they also lost Douglas, Bernard, and a couple of other defenders for the playoff game with the Chiefs.   They still nearly won the game.

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Really? Of all of the examples you could point to, you pointed to a game where Mahomes completed 17 passes and the Bills best defensive player didn’t play?

The Bills leading receiver in that game caught 5 passes for 45 yards. Their leading rusher, shockingly, was the QB that doesn’t have enough playmakers around him. That game is the PERFECT example of why you need to give Josh Allen playmakers. 

Stats 🤷‍♂️

Zero argument that Josh needs/deserves more weapons…. But:

Mahomes 17/23 for 215 (74%) for and 2TDs

VS

Josh 26/39 for 186 and one TD.

Pacheco rattled off 97yds and a TD for a 6.4 avg.

Josh got 72 yds and 2TDs.

This was Belicheat ball 101. Control the clock KNOWING you’re the better team. Hit your shots when you get them and let the other team beat itself…… again. And we did, while hanging it all on Josh ( and some on here blaming him for the loss)

Of course we aren’t getting to the Super Bowl this year. Give Josh any one boundary receiver of your choice and we still aren’t making the Super Bowl. 
    This coaching staff did what, over the last four years, to make anyone think otherwise? They get your hopes up, play good teams well, lose absolute dreck games to teams they have zero excuses to lose to and crap out in the playoffs.

Remember how we came out of the gates last year? As the Redneck joke punchline goes, “ Hey y’all, watch this!” This year.

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t think our opening day roster will be as good as last season’s.   But I think McD is a solid coach and Josh is an exceptional QB.  Brady is my biggest worry.   But if we’re healthy at the end of the season, we can make a run.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, SoTier said:

The Bills "didn't have the horses on defense to beat KC in the playoffs" in 2023 because their defense was decimated by injury late in the season.  Not only were they missing Milano and White, but they also lost Douglas, Bernard, and a couple of other defenders for the playoff game with the Chiefs.   They still nearly won the game.

That’s my point. A lot of those players (and other talented pieces) are now gone permanently. Yet some are claiming that McD will have them playing championship caliber defense regardless of the personnel on the field. 

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Who is talking about a “long ball?” They don’t have guys that run the 5-9 routes. That is missing. When you don’t have that, you are too easy to defend…

I’m not sure that you are following the conversation. I’ll talk slower. The Bills current playmakers, all do their best work within 10 yards of the LOS. Some of them are good once they get the ball in their hands but we will be looking at crowded boxes and not much space. We need the outs and corner routes as much or more than the fly (which we also need). 

If you disagree, please explain to me, your plan to avoid the safeties at the LOS? I’m curious to know how you’re finding space…

Do you watch the Bills games?!? We were the 6th highest scoring offense in the league last year. The offense is not the issue. Fairweather TV fans may think so but that is not the case. That was with an inept OC for half of the season.

That being said, the Chiefs were the 15th ranked scoring offense. But their D was stout and played excellent when it mattered. Now we had injuries... but adding good depth to our D this season, which was decimated during the off season, is priority. Watch Thursday... you may learn something.

Depends on how Beane does in the draft. Can some of these draft picks make a meaningful contribution this year. If this happens then yes if not, then we might take a step back this year.

What's Super Bowl contention?   I'd say a Super Bowl contender is a team that is in the top eight in the league.   The top 3 or 4 in each conference have a reasonable shot at winning it.  Maybe a team or two more in one conference and a team or two less in the other, depending on which conference is stronger.   

I think the Bills are a contender.  With Allen, plus an offensive line returning, and with a perennial top 10 defense, I think the Bills are clearly there.   They will be the favorite to win the division.  Yes, yes, I know, Miami this and New York that, but neither is better than Buffalo until they prove it.  And, sure the Bills need a receiver, and Milano and Bernard are not back until they're back, and they need an edge, and all that.  But that's just life in the NFL - every team has questions this time of year.  

• Agree 2