1. 1. Who is the real #14?

• Ryan Fitzpatrick
    • Stefon Diggs
    • Frank Reich
    • Sammy Flat Earther

6 hours ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Diggs helped Allen grow

Frank had the comeback

But nothing will ever top that feeling when Fitz went toe to toe with Brady and won. Stadium was out of control that day. 

That really was an incredible atmosphere at the stadium for that one.  It was just as crazy if not crazier than any game during the Allen era

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

I'll always associate 14 with Frank Reich - having sat in the stands that amazing day in January 1993

You and 172,000 other Bills fans

2 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

I was there!

see above

16 hours ago, JohnNord said:

It’s Diggs.  Say what you will about about the end of his tenure, but he was an elite WR playing at an All-Pro level for four-consecutive seasons.    

The most dominate WR in Bills history, albeit one that didn’t show up in big time playoff games vs. top competition 

I just don’t agree at all that Diggs was the most dominant receiver. Diggs plays in an era where receivers run free and don’t have the fear of getting their blocks knocked off.

Reed and Moulds were in a class alone when it comes to dominant. And I’m not saying this bashing Diggs. Diggs is pretty damned good.

To answer the OP’s question, Rene Robert. 

Edited by Beast

Don't really understand the Reich love. There are people that wanted him to play over Kelly. All fanbases fall in lovexwith the backup QB at onextime or another. He had two magical moments (college and NFL record comebacks) in an otherwise forgettable career. Remember he threw a pick six to start the second half to make the deficit even worse. 

It's debatable if he is even a good OC/HC. He didn't call the plays for the Eagles SuperBowl win. He was a failure in Indianapolis. I don't blame him for the Carolina debacle ( the owner seems like a moron).

Diggs is in the conversation for best Bills WR of all time.  He did things that Reed, Moulds, Butler, Dubenion, and Evans never did. 

Fitz is Fitz. A terribly flawed QB that is an incredibly likeable person. 

56 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Don't really understand the Reich love. There are people that wanted him to play over Kelly. All fanbases fall in lovexwith the backup QB at onextime or another. He had two magical moments (college and NFL record comebacks) in an otherwise forgettable career. Remember he threw a pick six to start the second half to make the deficit even worse. 

It's debatable if he is even a good OC/HC. He didn't call the plays for the Eagles SuperBowl win. He was a failure in Indianapolis. I don't blame him for the Carolina debacle ( the owner seems like a moron).

Diggs is in the conversation for best Bills WR of all time.  He did things that Reed, Moulds, Butler, Dubenion, and Evans never did. 

Fitz is Fitz. A terribly flawed QB that is an incredibly likeable person. 

You had to be there in 1993 or you 'll never understand, its a thing that only fans as old as the franchise can grasp!

Diggs and it isn't close. The question wasn't "who is your most sentimental #14" or "who is your favorite #14". It was who is the best.  Diggs far and away is the best and these other replies answering a question that wasn't asked probably need to learn how to separate logic and emotion a little better.  This wasn't an interpretation question, it was a logic question not open for interpretation....by any measure Diggs was the best #14 ever on the Bills.

Edited by Big Turk

28 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Diggs and it isn't close. The question wasn't "who is your most sentimental #14" or "who is your favorite #14". It was who is the best.  Diggs far and away is the best and these other replies answering a question that wasn't asked probably need to learn how to separate logic and emotion a little better.  This wasn't an interpretation question, it was a logic question not open for interpretation....by any measure Diggs was the best #14 ever on the Bills.

Actually....it was. 

From the OP's first post - 

Best doesn't necessarily mean who produced most.  It could.

But just overall if you take everything into a player from production to leadership, tenure, great moments, to just likeable.....

Did you read the first post or do you just like to just be passive aggressive and imply the people responding with players based on great moments are stupid?

In my very subjective opinion based off of the very subjective criteria listed out in the very first post....It's Ryan Fitzpatrick....for me.

But I'm willing to be open minded about others subjective position based on: production to leadership, tenure, great moments, to just likeable....which was in...THE VERY FIRST POST. 

Frank Reich was responsible for the Bills Super Bowl run in the 1992-1993 season.  

There's no Super Bowl without Frank Reich heroics on January 3, 1993, and arguably the following week in Pittsburgh where he threw two touchdowns and no INTs against a Steelers defense that had a week to prepare for him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Actually....it was. 

From the OP's first post - 

Best doesn't necessarily mean who produced most.  It could.

But just overall if you take everything into a player from production to leadership, tenure, great moments, to just likeable.....

Did you read the first post or do you just like to just be passive aggressive and imply the people responding with players based on great moments are stupid?

In my very subjective opinion based off of the very subjective criteria listed out in the very first post....It's Ryan Fitzpatrick....for me.

But I'm willing to be open minded about others subjective position based on: production to leadership, tenure, great moments, to just likeable....which was in...THE VERY FIRST POST. 

OP shouldn't pose subjective questions with non subjective titles then. The title of the thread and what he is actually asking don't align at all.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, amprov56 said:

You had to be there in 1993 or you 'll never understand, its a thing that only fans as old as the franchise can grasp!

I was in medical school watching the game on TV. Came so close to turning it off and going for a walk. I understand the love for the comeback game.

Don't understand the love for Reich. Heck more love should go to the refs for not seeing Beebe step out of bounds or Talley commit pass interference in OT. 

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I was in medical school watching the game on TV. Came so close to turning it off and going for a walk. I understand the love for the comeback game.

Don't understand the love for Reich. Heck more love should go to the refs for not seeing Beebe step out of bounds or Talley commit pass interference in OT. 

Geezus dude.

When a team is up by 32 in the 3rd quarter, 2 missed calls shouldn’t be determining the game.

Are you 100% sure there wasn’t any missed calls on Houston?  It did they play a perfectly flawless game?

What Reich did in the game outweighs those two missed calls.  It had 1 million percent more influence on the game.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Geezus dude.

When a team is up by 32 in the 3rd quarter, 2 missed calls shouldn’t be determining the game.

Are you 100% sure there wasn’t any missed calls on Houston?  It did they play a perfectly flawless game?

What Reich did in the game outweighs those two missed calls.  It had 1 million percent more influence on the game.  

It was more than that too...He threw a pass that went right through the defenders hands and should have been another pick 6. Think it went to Metzalaars. And Houston not playing for an onside kick. Crazy stuff.

But I get your point, for one magical 28 minutes or so he was unbelievable! A HOF moment in an otherwise forgettable career. 

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

It was more than that too...He threw a pass that went right through the defenders hands and should have been another pick 6. Think it went to Metzalaars. And Houston not playing for an onside kick. Crazy stuff.

But I get your point, for one magical 28 minutes or so he was unbelievable! A HOF moment in an otherwise forgettable career. 

There are so many variables in games and you're only pointing out the negative ones towards the Bills.

13 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Again, you dont know! The 1989 comeback against the Rams on MNF then winning several more while Kelly was hurt. 1990 beating Miami in a crucial game allowing the Bills to clinch the AFC East and home field advantage, He did it with class, character, and humility, not traits admired by the fast food/win at any cost and we will take anybody generation in 2024. Seriously, focus in the twenty first century, you don't know, and yes you guys love the negative. It's a lifetime Bills Fan thing, you'll never understand.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Whatever, you have not trashed Mcdermott today, get back on track!

Edited by amprov56

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

People define "best" differently.  Best (i.e. most talented) player...  best teammate... best Bill to root for... produced the best memories...  and so on.  

I appreciate your effort to promote logic on a fan board.  But my vote remains with Reich.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

People define "best" differently.  Best (i.e. most talented) player...  best teammate... best Bill to root for... produced the best memories...  and so on.  

I appreciate your effort to promote logic on a fan board.  But my vote remains with Reich.  

Great post and it illustrates the gap between "old school" Bills fans who love and understand the game living through 50 years with first hand Bills experence and those who view the game as mere entertainment, angry on a daily basis!

35 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Doc, let me explain my love for Reich.  (1) He was a great guy and teammate.  (2) The win against Houston was so unexpected.  We couldn't beat the Oilers the week before with Thurman and Kelly (partially) in the game.  In fact, they destroyed us.  We certainly weren't going to beat them with our stars out after spotting them a 32-point lead in that playoff game.   

And then something miraculous happens.  Reich, the perennial backup, starts playing like he's a football god who came down from Gridiron Olympus, throwing TD passes all over the place.  And that improbable win helped get us to the Super Bowl.    

I watched a lot of great Bills moments over the decades including OJ breaking 2000 but The Comeback remains my favorite Bills game of all time and Reich was its principal author.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Doc, let me explain my love for Reich.  (1) He was a great guy and teammate.  (2) The win against Houston was so unexpected.  We couldn't beat the Oilers the week before with Thurman and Kelly (partially) in the game.  In fact, they destroyed us.  We certainly weren't going to beat them with our stars out after spotting them a 32-point lead in that playoff game.   

And then something miraculous happens.  Reich, the perennial backup, starts playing like he's a football god who came down from Gridiron Olympus, throwing TD passes all over the place.  And that improbable win helped get us to the Super Bowl.    

I watched a lot of great Bills moments over the decades including OJ breaking 2000 but The Comeback remains my favorite Bills game of all time and Reich was its principal author.  

Reich hand a handful of moments but come on man Diggs was far more consistent and contributed more on the field week in and week out. It's like those that those calling for Tasker a HOFer, sorry impactful yes but not in enough games.

On 4/9/2024 at 12:52 PM, mushypeaches said:

I'll always associate 14 with Frank Reich - having sat in the stands that amazing day in January 1993

You and 500K others that claim to.

56 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Reich hand a handful of moments but come on man Diggs was far more consistent and contributed more on the field week in and week out. It's like those that those calling for Tasker a HOFer, sorry impactful yes but not in enough games.

I already acknowledged that Diggs is the more skilled player.  But the poll question asks, "Who is the real #14?"  

The first #14 to imprint on my memory was Reich.  Diggs gave me more good memories, but Reich gave me my greatest one.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Big Turk said:

OP shouldn't pose subjective questions with non subjective titles then. The title of the thread and what he is actually asking don't align at all.

lol. It’s the op’s fault you didn’t read the first post for context. 😂 

11 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Another great post, he was a great person and good citizen that you loved rooting for!

Edited by amprov56
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Geezus dude.

They love the negative!

12 hours ago, amprov56 said:

Again, you dont know! The 1989 comeback against the Rams on MNF then winning several more while Kelly was hurt. 1990 beating Miami in a crucial game allowing the Bills to clinch the AFC East and home field advantage, He did it with class, character, and humility, not traits admired by the fast food/win at any cost and we will take anybody generation in 2024. Seriously, focus in the twenty first century, you don't know, and yes you guys love the negative. It's a lifetime Bills Fan thing, you'll never understand.

Another thing I think people forget with Reich is how much of a positive impact he had on Kelly.  Frank might not have had the same athletic ability Jim had but he was smart and would help go over things with him on the sidelines. Kelly has said many times having Frank out there was like having an extra coach for him on the sidelines.  

• Like (+1) 2