Trade Targets for Bills (WR)

24 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I read the Bills are signing Odell

He makes sense. They have been pursuing for awhile now and he provides a little stopgap, takes some pressure off the young guys and whoever we draft. Plus we have Adam Henry here. I would do it and still draft a guy round 1. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I mentioned in the other WR thread, go grab Terrance Marshall from the Panthers. He’s big, fast and still just 23 years old. He played for Brady at LSU and was drafted for Brady’s offense in Carolina. He was given permission to seek a trade in the fall and that was before the Panthers added Diontae Johnson and David Moore. He is just buried down there for whatever reason and needs a change of scenery. I get it that he isn’t the number 1 or whatever, but he knows the offense, he is big and fast and can catch the football and there is a pedigree there. He is an outside receiver. He should also be very cheap and Dan Morgan obviously is connected to the front office here. Sometimes these guys just get buried. 

These trades for aging veterans on huge deals just isn’t going to happen. Anyone think of any other young guys buried from regime changes or trades? 

The only other young guys who are buried that I could think of are Texans John Metchie and the Browns Cedric Tillman. 

Whatever happens and whoever we add, I am still taking a 1st round receiver and I think the mid trade up for Brian Thomas makes the most sense.

I liked Marshall as a potential Gabe Davis upgrade at X in that 2021 draft but it just hasn't materialized for him.   From the sounds of it he just hasn't worked hard enough for the opportunities in Carolina.   Doesn't play special teams so once he got down the chart it was easy to inactivate him last season.  

As you note he is big and fast and also has better hands than Gabe, is better at contested catches and can actually be effective on short, chain moving throws that the clap-catcher could not.   But something has been missing.   He was a 5 star recruit,  was drafted as a 20 year old and maybe he thought it was just going to keep coming easy for him and hasn't risen to the challenge.

It really surprises me that Marshall hasn't changed teams but his trade value is like nil going into a walk year with such a loaded draft class so maybe the Panthers have just chosen to hold onto him and see if he breaks out.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

If we still had Diggs, I think a trade into the top 10 of the draft was very small. I honestly think that is a realistic option now. It would not surprise me to see up go up to get Nabers. Joe Bascaglia mentioned this as well and still had us walking away with 9 picks in this draft even after the trade. We have 2 2nd rounders next year now so anything can happen

It bothers me every time I hear about the large number of picks the Bills have.  Their actual draft capital is middling this year.  They currently have 11 picks, but only 2 in the top 125.  Sure, it’s nice to hav an abundance of 4th, 5th and 6th rounders - they’ve done reasonably well late, but realistically if they get 1 or 2 guys that contribute as a starter or key backup out of those picks they would be doing quite well.

Regarding a big trade up, I’m not saying that Harrison, Nabers, Odunze aren’t very good, but realize that LSU had a top 3 QB in Jayden Daniels, Malik Nabers AND Brian Thomas Jr.  and they were very good, but did not make the 4 team championship playoffs.  

5 hours ago, RunninRebel37 said:

Now that Diggs is in Houston, WR is an especially big hole on this team. I'm personally in favor of utilizing the draft to shore this position up. Trading up for an elite guy (the most unrealistic option) such as Nabers, would be my ideal option, but even moving up a few picks into the early 20's for a Brian Thomas Jr. or AD Mitchell would work. 

However - would anyone be interested in the Bills trading for an established player and allowing the draft to fall to them? If so, what WR's do you think would be possible, productive, and available?

My vote would be Davante Adams. Per Spotrac he has a cap hit of just under 17 mil and an out in his contract after this season (voidable years I believe) that would help with the comp pick formula. Adams doesn't want to go through a rebuild with the Raiders (I'm in Vegas and this is a known "rumor") and wants to finally win. championship. Thoughts on this or any other WRs?

don't see any way the bills have cap room to add a $17 mil player

i see us using our first round pick on a WR1

i see us using our second round pick on an EDGE......unless a BPA WR fell in our lap

i see us filing out the roster with mostly veteran minimum type players

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I still like DK Metlcaf.

1.  He's young. We would basically acquire him at the same age as when the Bills acquired Diggs.

2. The physical traits are still there.

3. He has one elite season under his belt back in 2020 and you could definitely make the case that that was the last time he played with a top 10 QB. 

4. He won't be WR that commands the QB's attention all the time. He's still just a 120-140 targets per season receiver. Compare that to Diggs who basically averaged 160 targets per season in his four years with the Bills. I actually think in our offense DK could be a 100-115 targets per season WR and basically produce similar to Davis but at a higher level since we have seen that DK's ceiling is a 1300 yard 10.1 ypt season. And this would allow our offense to have a balanced passing attack. I'd love to see an offense where our top 4 targeted pass catchers are all within about 15-20 targets of each other at the end of the season.

5. With a new coaching staff and no franchise QB on the roster i could see Seattle making him available. 

I get diggs was a good player - but I dont know why everyone is so worried about this.  A couple moves and our WR corps could easily be:

WR1: Troy Franklin (or substitute in your favorite at ~pick 18 to 28)

WR2: Tyler Boyd

WR2: Curtis Samuel

WR4: Kalil Shakir

WR5: Justin Shorter (I think people are sleeping on him - but he needs to prove it)

TE1: Dalton Kincaid

TE2: Dawson Knox

That...seems...more than okay - and ENTIRELY possible once Tre comes off the books officially.  In may not look exactly like that (and it probably won't) - but thats the level which we can pretty easily get to.  

My bigger concern is that we now HAVE to focus on offense.  We have some glaring holes on the defensive side.  I think the real impact will be felt on defense where we have to start someone like Rapp because the resources have flown to the offensive side of the ball.

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

It bothers me every time I hear about the large number of picks the Bills have.  Their actual draft capital is middling this year.  They currently have 11 picks, but only 2 in the top 125.  Sure, it’s nice to hav an abundance of 4th, 5th and 6th rounders - they’ve done reasonably well late, but realistically if they get 1 or 2 guys that contribute as a starter or key backup out of those picks they would be doing quite well.

Regarding a big trade up, I’m not saying that Harrison, Nabers, Odunze aren’t very good, but realize that LSU had a top 3 QB in Jayden Daniels, Malik Nabers AND Brian Thomas Jr.  and they were very good, but did not make the 4 team championship playoffs.  

You can’t forget we traded for a starting CB at the deadline last year. Thinking our Edmunds comp pick was a third rounder. Look at Rasul Douglas as their third round pick this year. I hope they can move back 4-7 spots and get an additional 3rd. 

For the people who want him, Tyler Boyd is just a pure slot guy. Way more than Samuel or even Shakir. He is also going to be too expensive for what he provides. I like the idea of versatile guys like Samuel. Boyd is not that. Good player, doesn’t complement the room. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

DK Metcalf is by far the best option

very very little chance it happens.

I do like my idea of  28, 128, 2025 1st, 2nd, 2nd  for  16 (BTJ) & Metcalf

I expect a signing of Boyd or OBJ  and a trade up in the draft

We should never give up that much for anything but a QB.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Rebel, with what $ on Adams. Don’t get me wrong, I love the idea if we had cap space.  We need an established WR and also trade up in the draft.  We basically have $10 mil. In June.  That’s why I suggested OBJ as we don’t have to trade for him, amd he wouldn’t be that expensive.

You could trade for him then extend him to get under the cap. It's doable. 

I wouldn't do it.

Jefferson is the trade target for a long-term investment. 

If not Jefferson, then just get your WR from the draft.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

We should never give up that much for anything but a QB.  

you’re sending  28, 4th, 2nd for 16   then a 1st & 2nd for Metcalf

it’s essentially what we gave up for Diggs with an additional 2nd we just acquired

except you’re getting a WR who can be at least top 10 with Allen  and a rookie who could become another WR1  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

you’re sending  28, 4th, 2nd for 16   then a 1st & 2nd for Metcalf

it’s essentially what we gave up for Diggs with an additional 2nd we just acquired

except you’re getting a WR who can be at least top 10 with Allen  and a rookie who could become another WR1  

We don't need both,and DK has 35 mill over 2 years left.  And what happens when we have needs next year?  Losing a #1 next year isn't good.

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

We don't need both,and DK has 35 mill over 2 years left.  And what happens when we have needs next year?  Losing a #1 next year isn't good.

Regardless of the scenario, if you want this team to add a legit threat at WR, there is a pretty good chance we are moving our 2025 1st to make it happen.  

any of the top 3 WR’s in this class start with the 2025 1st.  Maybe we can get Thomas by only giving a 4th and 2nd with 28. 

We’ll have tons of cap space over the next few years to make up for it

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Regardless of the scenario, if you want this team to add a legit threat at WR, there is a pretty good chance we are moving our 2025 1st to make it happen.  

any of the top 3 WR’s in this class start with the 2025 1st.  Maybe we can get Thomas by only giving a 4th and 2nd with 28. 

We’ll have tons of cap space over the next few years to make up for it

I say 1 of 2 things. Either trade #28 and the 2nd we just got or both 2nds for Jefferson or Aiyuk.   OR... just use next years 2nd to move up a few spots for Thomas or Mitchell.

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

You could trade for him then extend him to get under the cap. It's doable. 

I wouldn't do it.

Jefferson is the trade target for a long-term investment. 

If not Jefferson, then just get your WR from the draft.

for whatever reason, I’m not a Jefferson fan.  I believe he’s slightly overrated and a clown show “me” guy.  I’d much rather try to land one of the top 3-4 WR’s in this class.

3 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I say 1 of 2 things. Either trade #28 and the 2nd we just got or both 2nds for Jefferson or Aiyuk.   OR... just use next years 2nd to move up a few spots for Thomas or Mitchell.

Jefferson will cost 28, 2025 1st, 2nd  maybe more.  He’s not worth the price to me.  I’m not a huge Aiyuk fan either really. I suppose I’d be okay with 60 and a 2nd next year for him

Jefferson’s stupid celebrations where he fakes a hamstring injury piss me off

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I just feel like if there was a year to try and get a possible Jamarr Chase type player that we usually don't have the chance to get, this is the year

22 hours ago, JimBob2232 said:

I get diggs was a good player - but I dont know why everyone is so worried about this.  A couple moves and our WR corps could easily be:

WR5: Justin Shorter (I think people are sleeping on him - but he needs to prove it)

That...seems...more than okay - and ENTIRELY possible once Tre comes off the books officially.  In may not look exactly like that (and it probably won't) - but thats the level which we can pretty easily get to.  

My bigger concern is that we now HAVE to focus on offense.  We have some glaring holes on the defensive side.  I think the real impact will be felt on defense where we have to start someone like Rapp because the resources have flown to the offensive side of the ball.

well everyone's worried because #1, we don't have those WR1 & WR2 spots filled yet. If we replaced Stef with those guys, obviously fans would be less worried lol. #2 fans are worried because getting rid of Stef wasnt part of any plan, which carries its own consequences. #3, Going on year 7 for your SB caliber QB, its not ideal to be having cap issues while needing to completely overhaul the roster.... on both sides of the ball.

Are these worries warranted? Yeah i'd say they are. But how much should we worry is the question. I'd say we shouldn't really worry too much until Training Camp is closer. By then we should see the roster we're going with & know where we stand... imho

22 hours ago, JimBob2232 said:

I like Franklin....but if we get him, he better be accompanied by BTJ, Legette or AD Mitchell 

That group of receivers above will be MAN HANDLED in the playoffs.   

10 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

I just feel like if there was a year to try and get a possible Jamarr Chase type player that we usually don't have the chance to get, this is the year

There are so many excellent wide receivers in this draft that even at 28, the Bills could potentially get a top WR.   In 2014 when the Bills traded up to get Sammy Watkins at #3, the Bucs got Mike Evans at #7 and the Giants got Odell at #12, and the Packers got Davante Adams at #53.  In 2013, the Texans got D-Hop at #27,  the Bills got Bobby Woods at #41 and the Chargers got Keenan Allen at #76.

I would give some trade capital to move up a few slots from 28 but I wouldn't give up the 2025 first for a WR.  Maybe I'd add in one of the 2025 seconds and some Day 3 picks, too, to move up to 16-20.

On 4/7/2024 at 2:42 PM, RunninRebel37 said:

Now that Diggs is in Houston, WR is an especially big hole on this team. I'm personally in favor of utilizing the draft to shore this position up. Trading up for an elite guy (the most unrealistic option) such as Nabers, would be my ideal option, but even moving up a few picks into the early 20's for a Brian Thomas Jr. or AD Mitchell would work. 

However - would anyone be interested in the Bills trading for an established player and allowing the draft to fall to them? If so, what WR's do you think would be possible, productive, and available?

My vote would be Davante Adams. Per Spotrac he has a cap hit of just under 17 mil and an out in his contract after this season (voidable years I believe) that would help with the comp pick formula. Adams doesn't want to go through a rebuild with the Raiders (I'm in Vegas and this is a known "rumor") and wants to finally win. championship. Thoughts on this or any other WRs?

I love Devante but he's getting close to the age where a decline is coming. I say we build our own Wr core threw obviously what we already have on the roster and the draft . If I'm Beane I'm double dipping with our first and a move up from the late 4th to early 4th . I would love a Leggette and Malik Washington combo from the draft that would be a absolute homerun!  Not only do u get fresh young legs to develop but also cost control as well. 

4 minutes ago, SoTier said:

There are so many excellent wide receivers in this draft that even at 28, the Bills could potentially get a top WR.   In 2014 when the Bills traded up to get Sammy Watkins at #3, the Bucs got Mike Evans at #7 and the Giants got Odell at #12, and the Packers got Davante Adams at #53.  In 2013, the Texans got D-Hop at #27,  the Bills got Bobby Woods at #41 and the Chargers got Keenan Allen at #76.

I would give some trade capital to move up a few slots from 28 but I wouldn't give up the 2025 first for a WR.  Maybe I'd add in one of the 2025 seconds and some Day 3 picks, too, to move up to 16-20.

The problem is that between Beckham and Adams, you had Brandon Cooks, Kelvin Benjamin, Marqise Lee, Jordan Mathews, and Paul Richardson. Outside of the top guys, you really never know and even there will be busts. 

• Disagree 1

I think Beane can get a couple of really good WR's in this draft and maybe not have to move at all . I think for what ever reason that Leggett is going to be a special WR in this league given his size & speed the dude is a beast & has a lot of upside .

He didn't transfer when he easily could have when buried on the team 2 years ago which shows he's a team guy he's went through some hardships in his life and came out stronger on the other side .

I just feel this guy has Bills DNA written all over him ! He;s a bit bigger both height & weight wise can break tackles because of his size & has the speed to get separation and then to get YAC yards and have heard he has a higher up side than others . So he's my draft man crush this year if they got him & ADM it would be a great draft !! 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, T master said:

I think Beane can get a couple of really good WR's in this draft and maybe not have to move at all . I think for what ever reason that Leggett is going to be a special WR in this league given his size & speed the dude is a beast & has a lot of upside .

He didn't transfer when he easily could have when buried on the team 2 years ago which shows he's a team guy he's went through some hardships in his life and came out stronger on the other side .

I just feel this guy has Bills DNA written all over him ! He;s a bit bigger both height & weight wise can break tackles because of his size & has the speed to get separation and then to get YAC yards and have heard he has a higher up side than others . So he's my draft man crush this year if they got him & ADM it would be a great draft !! 

Reminds me a little of another former South Carolina WR…..

Sterling Sharpe.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Jefferson, Aj Brown, Dk Metcalf, Devonte Adams all went around or after Buffalos pick.  Wrs are situation depended.  Buffalo will be one of the greatest situation a rookie wr will enter.  Paying a kings ransom for a Wr isnt ideal imo.  Use the extra 2nd next year?  Sure, but outside of that im not digging too deep.  I think worst case they will have a solid wr at 28 one that would be graded higher than any of the wrs drafted in rd 1 last season. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Low Positive said:

The problem is that between Beckham and Adams, you had Brandon Cooks, Kelvin Benjamin, Marqise Lee, Jordan Mathews, and Paul Richardson. Outside of the top guys, you really never know and even there will be busts. 

Sammy Watkins wasn't a particularly great WR, but he was the first WR off the board at #3.   Justin Jefferson went at #22 and Brian Aiyuk at #25 in 2020 while Henry Ruggs, Jerry Jeudy, CeeDee Lamb, and Jalen Reagor were all taken before them.    In  2015, Kevin White was taken at #7 between Amari Cooper and DeVante Parker.  Justin Blackmon was picked #5 in 2012.  He played just 20 games. 

IOW, no draft pick comes with a guarantee, including those drafted at the very top of the draft