New Buscaglia mock has Bills trading up to 7 for Malik Nabers

Logic

I appreciate the rational behind a move like this, but I really think it's more of a knee jerk "there's gotta be a huge play here" reaction to the Diggs trade. In a class this deep I really think the Bills see how the draft plays out before rushing up the board.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, damj said:

Steep price to pay and we have other holes to fill, but I don't hate the idea.

I would like it better if we gave them #2 next year instead of this year. Give them the pick we got from Houston which might be in the low 40s.

what holes?  We have fewer holes than most teams.  Besides a Grand Canyon at WR

The price is probably a bit less than it will actually cost 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I think Joe was so impressed with himself he threw his hands up and was like YES let's finish it off with a Long Snapper for kicks 

LITERALLY for kicks.

• Haha (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Logic said:

I understand your point of view.

Personally, I think we've seen what it's like to have a bunch of good to above average players and not enough GREAT players on the roster. It gets us to the Divisional round, and then we lose to a team with more GREAT players.

Me? I want more GREAT players around Josh Allen, and Nabers has the potential for greatness.

Give me one elite, blue chip playmaker with the potential for GREATNESS over a handful of potentially GOOD players, all day long and twice on Sundays.

While I agree with your greatness to good comparison, it’s not where a player is selected, but rather who is selected. We’ve passed on a number of GREAT talents in the draft, quite a few at WR, and didn’t have to burn a single pick other than that round’s selection.

Trading up doesn’t guarantee us a blue chip prospect. It gives us a chance to take a player we believe will pan out that way, but once these guys get to the next level anything can happen - unrealized potential, injury prone, or just a flat out bust. I’m still not trading multiple premium picks for any position that is not a QB. Period. By trading those picks, how many other players did we bypass that would go on to have blue chip NFL talent? Beane has to get the selections right, it’s not about where.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

35 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Team better be right if they make a move like this as there is a number of holes to fill. Not sure if that would be something I would personally do. I would rather take slow approach even if we end up being slightly worse off this year. 

Most of the holes are on defense. I say add an elite offensive talent to win with offense and hope McDermott can at least coach an average defense 

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I appreciate the rational behind a move like this, but I really think it's more of a knee jerk "there's gotta be a huge play here" reaction to the Diggs trade. In a class this deep I really think the Bills see how the draft plays out before rushing up the board.

No. No. End. End. It.      I'm sick and tired of this team not having elite talent on offense.    The time is now to make a bold move and get Josh a super talented player to match his skills 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

what holes?  We have fewer holes than most teams.  Besides a Grand Canyon at WR

The price is probably a bit less than it will actually cost 

Safety and depth at CB, DT & DE. I like the move. Win with offense and an average to above defense.

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

It's an interesting point.

One of the things I found interesting about the Speak! segment talking about Diggs, was someone - Emmanuel Acho?  talking about the importance of "freakazoids".  He said almost every team in the NFL has about 3, the 49rs have 6, and you can practice hard and prepare well and play hard but if you don't have enough "freakazoids" you know you're going to lose because you don't have enough talent.  

So who are the Bills' "freakazoids"?

Obviously, Josh Allen is one.  Diggs was one - Houston is treating him like one - Cosell thinks he's not or no longer one.  Does Cook have "freakazoid" potential?  Does Kinkaid?  

On Defense, who?  Ed Oliver?  Matt Milano?  Tre White at his best was a "freakazoid", as was "all-pro Po"

Obviously, the highest probability of landing a "freakazoid" is at the top of the 1st round, but all top of the 1st round picks don't become "freakazoids", and "freakazoids" can be found in every round.  

I think to get "over the hump" we truly need at least one more "freakazoid" on each side of the ball.

This isn’t revisionist history, as I’ve said this while he was here…

Diggs isn’t a (pick the term) “freakazoid”.

He never was.  It’s why he never steps up in the big moments.  He can be taken away.  Jeremy & Joe in the morning want to act like it’s normal that a WR1 becomes a decoy all the time in big games.  “Diggs walked so Gabe could run against KC”… Ok, one game.. What about the rest?  Jefferson getting locked  up repeatedly by Snead, even if he has some help shaded at times?  Chase?  Hill?  

Diggs was always elite because he made himself elite through hard work and his mentality.  He doesn’t have elite traits.

Kincaid could be one.. he has above average speed, size & athleticism mixed with spatial awareness that only some guys (Kelce) seem to possess. 

Rousseau has the elite traits but he hasn’t ascended to that level yet. 

Oliver is a good player, but I fear he lacks the size to ever be a “freakazoid”.. and perhaps that’s why he is able to be held down in big moments.

Milano.. I could go either way on.  Linebacker is so undervalued that I just don’t know if I view any guy at that position in that sense. 

I could be talked into Spencer Brown still having that potential based on how raw he still is along with his traits. 

Josh Allen - Certified freak

Potential..

Kincaid, Brown and Rousseau

Honorable mention..

Cook - If he can remember how to catch

• Like (+1) 2

Kincaid is nice.  Cook is nice.  Shakir is rising.

We need speed and explosive playmaking.    

We added some good explosiveness in Samuel  (1 of the fastest players within a few yards per analytics) 

Nabers is DYNAMITE.   His acceleration looks other worldly.  He goes from 0-100 in 2 steps.  On his routes, his change of direction, stop and start is elite

Would be thrilled to get him 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Brand J said:

While I agree with your greatness to good comparison, it’s not where a player is selected, but rather who is selected. We’ve passed on a number of GREAT talents in the draft, quite a few at WR, and didn’t have to burn a single pick other than that round’s selection.

Trading up doesn’t guarantee us a blue chip prospect. It gives us a chance to take a player we believe will pan out that way, but once these guys get to the next level anything can happen - unrealized potential, injury prone, or just a flat out bust. I’m still not trading multiple premium picks for any position that is not a QB. Period. By trading those picks, how many other players did we bypass that would go on to have blue chip NFL talent? Beane has to get the selections right, it’s not about where.

You're right, of course.

I also think that sometimes rare talents come out in the draft, and everyone can see from a mile away that they're rare talents. To me, that's the case this year with MHJ, Nabers, and Odunze. They're not your Uncle's 1st round receivers. They're DUDES.

In order to get guys like that, you have to pick early.

Yes, sometimes guys picked later (Justin Jefferson, Stefon Diggs) turn out to be great, too. But personally, I'd rather trade up for a SPECIAL prospect than hope that I'm lucky enough to get one at 28. That may not be the case every year, but it's the case for me this year, because of where the Bills are in their build and salary cap, and because of how special the top three WRs look to me.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

a few of the draft experts have said some teams have Nabers ranked higher than MHJ.

Josh said Nabers 1st when listing off receivers in an interview.

Perhaps he's our top guy 

Nabers checks the boxes and then some when it comes to "explosiveness"  which was the word Beane and Sean have used multiple times since the end of the season for what we need on offense 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

The other thing I like about Nabers is that I believe the Bills need a guy that commands a lot of attention from defense, in order to open things up for the Shakirs and Kincaids and Cooks of the world.

Diggs has been that guy for four seasons. He commands safety help and lightens boxes. We don't know WHAT the Bills offense will look like when defenses don't have a guy like that to account for and can defend them more "honestly".

Getting a Malik Nabers or Rome Odunze gives them the alpha that good offenses need in order to dictate to defenses and simplify coverage. Adding a playmaker like that makes all of the other offensive players better, because the defense has to focus attention and resources on the alpha.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

No. No. End. End. It.      I'm sick and tired of this team not having elite talent on offense.    The time is now to make a bold move and get Josh a super talented player to match his skills 

And elite talent could very well be on the board at pick 15. Pick 20. Pick 25. 

Don't really know who will be elite at the NFL level. What I'm saying is these sudden sweeping huge blockbuster moves up being seen in media right now are a byproduct of trading a WR that gave us limited production down the stretch and aren't based on practical thinking. I don't think trading Diggs alters the plan too much in the front office. But it might, who knows. We will see in about 3 weeks 

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

And elite talent could very well be on the board at pick 15. Pick 20. Pick 25. 

Don't really know who will be elite at the NFL level. What I'm saying is these sudden sweeping huge blockbuster moves up being seen in media right now are a byproduct of trading a WR that gave us limited production down the stretch and aren't based on practical thinking. I don't think trading Diggs alters the plan too much in the front office. But it might, who knows. We will see in about 3 weeks 

They could, yes.  

But the top 3 in this class are all WR1 in many classes.  

Unlike the Sammy Watkins move, we already have a franchise QB.

Josh is out there looking around saying "hello?"  because there is no one near his level of skill anywhere else on the field

Get someone who can "keep up" with him 

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

You're right, of course.

I also think that sometimes rare talents come out in the draft, and everyone can see from a mile away that they're rare talents. To me, that's the case this year with MHJ, Nabers, and Odunze. They're not your Uncle's 1st round receivers. They're DUDES.

In order to get guys like that, you have to pick early.

Yes, sometimes guys picked later (Justin Jefferson, Stefon Diggs) turn out to be great, too. But personally, I'd rather trade up for a SPECIAL prospect than hope that I'm lucky enough to get one at 28. That may not be the case every year, but it's the case for me this year, because of where the Bills are in their build and salary cap, and because of how special the top three WRs look to me.

I understand where you’re coming from, along with everyone else who wants to trade up. Well, except for Warriorspikes, he’d happily give up every pick in the next two drafts for 2 receivers from this one 😅 (just messing with you Warrior)

The rare prospects have a term: “can’t miss.” How many players in NFL history had that tag coming into the draft and then… missed? I don’t expect any of the top 3 to bust, neither do NFL evaluators, but man oh man, we just don’t know. In many ways it is a lottery, so many variables go into whether a player has success or not, so I just can’t get behind sacrificing what may be other big time contributors, to take a position that isn’t absolutely crucial to a team’s success. There’s only one of those positions: QB. And that’s the only one I’d be willing to mortgage the future for. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

For those who don't want to pay the totally-worth-it $1.99 per month to subscribe to the Athletic (can you even get a pack of gum for that any more?), here's Joe Buscaglia's latest 7 round Bills mock draft. I gotta say, if this happened, I might cry tears of joy.

https://theathletic.com/5391796/2024/04/05/buffalo-bills-mock-draft-stefon-diggs-trade/

TRADE!

Tennessee Titans trade Nos. 7, 182 to Bills for Nos. 28, 60, 133 and 2025 1st

The pick at No. 7: Bills – Malik Nabers, WR, LSU

I continue to believe that anything, including a move like this one on draft day, is a real possibility for the Bills. Beane has long been an aggressive draft-day trader when he’s excited about a prospect and how he’d fit their system. Now, with a gaping hole for a top target at wide receiver and where the Bills are in their build, this is the type of move Beane could rationalize as one that puts them over the top for the foreseeable future.

The cost of doing business might be high for some, which is understandable. I’m sure it will evoke memories of the Bills’ move up the board to take Sammy Watkins in 2014. But this is an entirely different situation from 2014 — almost comically so. Back then, it was the desperate move of a franchise hoping Watkins would help EJ Manuel become the franchise quarterback while blatantly ignoring several warning signs he was not that player. Now, there’s nothing for their quarterback to prove. The Bills have one of the best quarterbacks in the league in Josh Allen, a still-talented roster around him, and a pretty good idea that they’ll be pushing for the playoffs at the very least in 2024.

By arming him with a young receiver with elite potential on a rookie deal for the next four years, it gives the Bills a lot of flexibility for how they spend through the duration of the receiver’s rookie deal. I’d liken this move more to the one the Atlanta Falcons made in 2011 to fly up the board and select Julio Jones, already with a top quarterback in Matt Ryan in place. They certainly didn’t regret that trade for a second.

The recent trade of Diggs, and acquiring the Vikings’ 2025 2nd from the Texans, could empower Beane to make a stark move up the board like this one, too. With an extremely unsettled quarterback room — either starting journeyman backup Sam Darnold or a rookie — that pick has a good chance of turning into an early second-round selection. If that does happen, the Bills could easily get themselves back at the end of the first round next year, or just view their early second-round pick as their first-round pick replacement for dealing it away to get a potential game-changing receiver. For the right player, Beane will move a first-round pick.

Is Nabers worth this type of move? In a more standard draft year, Nabers would easily be the best receiver prospect by a wide margin and likely one of the first players selected. He is outrageously talented and smooth, with the explosiveness to win however the Bills ask him to. The separation is effortless whether he’s at X, Z or slot and he gets the defender to bite at his breakdown constantly. He can win with physicality or speed and will eat cushion from off-defenders alive. Nabers has excellent, crisp footwork, and his contested catch concentration is simply outstanding. On top of it all, he can be a monster with yards after the catch, either using physicality to drag defenders or his 4.35 speed to blow up a play.

Nabers has all the potential to be a star in the NFL, and with one of the league’s best quarterbacks in Allen, it increases that likelihood by a large margin. Nabers is worth the hype. But would he make everyone forget about the price tag? It certainly looks like he has all the potential to do so. And with the Bills looking like they’ll have cap space to work with in 2025, it could be the catalyst to another push toward the top of the AFC.

Rest of draft:

image.thumb.png.d1bc50c147af37213909d6f744c3c5ff.png

My god, if the draft fell into place like this, i really couldn't think of a better outcome......i'd be the happiest guy around.

• Agree 1

as of today Friday 4-5 we have exactly 19 sleeps before the 2024 NFL Draft. on 4-24-2024 Round 1

I'm  not impatient though, nope Nope NOPE 

tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap

😬

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

Just now, Brand J said:

I understand where you’re coming from, along with everyone else who wants to trade up. Well, except for Warriorspikes, he’d happily give up every pick in the next two drafts for 2 receivers from this one 😅 (just messing with you Warrior)

The rare prospects have a term: “can’t miss.” How many players in NFL history had that tag coming into the draft and then… missed? I don’t expect any of the top 3 to bust, neither do NFL evaluators, but man oh man, we just don’t know. In many ways it is a lottery, so many variables go into whether a player has success or not, so I just can’t get behind sacrificing what may be other big time contributors, to take a position that isn’t absolutely crucial to a team’s success. There’s only one of those positions: QB. And that’s the only one I’d be willing to mortgage the future for. 

Thanks. I appreciate your position.

I think it just comes down to risk tolerance. This year, my risk tolerance is high. That's not always the case for me. This year, it is.

I've seen the Bills build a roster of good players around Josh Allen, and I've seen the results. I'm ready to take a swing for a GREAT player. And I do understand your argument that no draftees are sure things, and we can potentially get a great player at 28, too.

I also feel like a game-changing WR CAN be absolutely crucial to a team's success. I think the market is showing us that, with WRs starting to get $30million+ per year contracts. The market shows us where the league values positions, and right now, NFL GMs value elite receivers.

Yes, we can point to the Chiefs winning two Lombardis after trading away Tyreek Hill, but...they have Mahomes and Reid. They're the exception rather than the rule, I think.

Anyway, again, I respect where you're coming from and your explanations of why. I just find myself sitting on the opposite end of that ideological spectrum right now.

• Like (+1) 4

Not happening. We need to hit on multiple players in the draft this year, not just one. And Beane has said as much. I think the Bills FO would very much prefer to take whatever WR is available at 28 and keep the picks, and I would too.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

Thanks. I appreciate your position.

I think it just comes down to risk tolerance. This year, my risk tolerance is high. That's not always the case for me. This year, it is.

I've seen the Bills build a roster of good players around Josh Allen, and I've seen the results. I'm ready to take a swing for a GREAT player. And I do understand your argument that no draftees are sure things, and we can potentially get a great player at 28, too.

I also feel like a game-changing WR CAN be absolutely crucial to a team's success. I think the market is showing us that, with WRs starting to get $30million+ per year contracts. The market shows us where the league values positions, and right now, NFL GMs value elite receivers.

Yes, we can point to the Chiefs winning two Lombardis after trading away Tyreek Hill, but...they have Mahomes and Reid. They're the exception rather than the rule, I think.

Anyway, again, I respect where you're coming from and your explanations of why. I just find myself sitting on the opposite end of that ideological spectrum right now.

Further to your point re: KC..

If you tell me Kincaid is going to be Kelce, then sure.. let’s surround Allen with a bunch of B level WR’s.

He changes everything about that Offense. 

Mahomes has had “that guy” .. the guy we keep hoping to find for Allen .. every year he’s been in the league. 

Someone who is so elite that you literally cannot take them away in big games.  He’s always had 1.. and for a few years, 2 of them. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I see no world where Nabers falls to 7. 

4 5 and 6 all have massive needs at WR and Nabers and MH are elite prospects. 

One of them will trade down with a team moving up for McCarthy. The other two will take MH and Nabers. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Maynard said:

I’d do it for Nabers. Might not be a totally accepted trade for many, but I think he’d be worth it. You’ve got a true number one there.

Totally agree. Sure we'd have to leave the defense a little depleted this year but we could finish that unit off next year. Build up the firepower this year and if the offense stays hot especially by the time the playoffs start we are still an absolute contender imo.

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Further to your point re: KC..

If you tell me Kincaid is going to be Kelce, then sure.. let’s surround Allen with a bunch of B level WR’s.

He changes everything about that Offense. 

Mahomes has had “that guy” .. the guy we keep hoping to find for Allen .. every year he’s been in the league. 

Someone who is so elite that you literally cannot take them away in big games.  He’s always had 1.. and for a few years, 2 of them. 

Great point. Thanks!

Yes, KC had a cast of also-rans at WR the past couple seasons, but they also had a HOF #1 target that always came up big in big moments. Turn on a Chiefs playoff game from the past two years and what do you see? Kelce coming up with clutch plays when it counts.

If I ask you to close your eyes and picture which offensive player other than Josh Allen has come up big in big moments in the playoffs the past few years, who comes to mind? For me, it's NO ONE. Maybe Gabe Davis in the Chiefs playoff game, but he's gone now.

The Bills need that guy. Kincaid, as you say, may become him. We hope that's the case. But hope is not a strategy. I'd like to try to get another guy that we think has "big in big moments" potential.

Let's find that guy for Josh.

• Agree 1

I would absolutely lose my mind if this happened, BUT

There is no chance in hell he drops past the Cardinals or Chargers. You could argue that both their receiver depth charts are WORSE than ours. 

• Agree 2

If anyone wants to know how to read articles like this without paying, type in:

"https://archive.is/" followed by the rest of the URL

It'll pull up a link to the archived version of the page that you can read for free. 

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'd love it.

People are talking about trading for Aiyuk or Higgins.  You get a guy like Nabers, you're giving up valuable draft picks - but w/ the money you save having a top tier talent on a rookie contract, you can fill holes in FA instead.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, BBFL said:

Would rather they hold on to 60 personally and move up to the teens and get a possible falling Odunze or Thomas Jr. 

Nabers looks to be the real deal but there’s a lot of talent in this draft that would even allow you to double dip if you can hang on to 60. They likely wont, but you never know. 

That’s actually a reasonable stance and I can’t go against the logic you’ve displayed here. 

I know they probably won't do it, but I would double dip as well, using the 2nd we just recieved from Diggs to use in the 1st or 2nd to move up a few spots if a wr is still there that shouldn't be, if not just keep the 2nd.  Either way walk away with 2 good wr targets

• Like (+1) 1

I know what the media has been saying about the top WR's this year and i don't actually disagree with them, however, in my honest opinion, i really only see MHJ and Nabers as the 2 that are NFL-ready and the most polished of skillset coming into a franchise and absolutely starting day 1.

Nabers kind of reminds me of a similar JJ type, so i am completely onboard with that. The dude has speed, excellent footwork, his route tree is outstanding, he's not afraid to mix it up and get his hands dirty or fight for extra yards.

This is the guy that i want to see play alongside JA.

I have spoken.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Logic said:

Great point. Thanks!

Yes, KC had a cast of also-rans at WR the past couple seasons, but they also had a HOF #1 target that always came up big in big moments. Turn on a Chiefs playoff game from the past two years and what do you see? Kelce coming up with clutch plays when it counts.

If I ask you to close your eyes and picture which offensive player other than Josh Allen has come up big in big moments in the playoffs the past few years, who comes to mind? For me, it's NO ONE. Maybe Gabe Davis in the Chiefs playoff game, but he's gone now.

The Bills need that guy. Kincaid, as you say, may become him. We hope that's the case. But hope is not a strategy. I'd like to try to get another guy that we think has "big in big moments" potential.

Let's find that guy for Josh.

This might not be a popular opinion but I think Kincaid more likely becomes a Hockenson level player rather than a Kelce level player. That's nothing to squeeze at, but it won't win you a SB on its own.

If we trade the farm to move up, it needs to be for Marvin Harrison Jr, and not for Nabers. Nabers is already California Dreaming, and we don't want to give up everything for a glum Gilmore face when he gets called up to the podium. We don't want the hot girl that's trying to pawn her less attractive friend on to us. 

Justin Jefferson will be an extremely expensive red flag, Aiyuk will be a mid-tier WR1, and Tee Higgins is an elite WR2, not a WR1. If we trade for a $100M guy it should be DK Metcalf or CeeDee Lamb. If they're not available, trade up in the draft for MH Jr. 

We can go for Mitchell or Legette or McConkey, but those are good starters, not superstars. And Allen needs a superstar. 

For me, its Harrison or nothing this year. Then grab a Legette or a Worthy later in the draft to add speed. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Not to pour water on this campfire, but Nabers was "live" on his social media yesterday after his visit with the Chargers  in LA talking to a realtor and viewing the ocean from a spectacular patio 

Can you blame him?

22 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Nabers wants his buddy here too😎

This is the more realistic scenario.  Can grab Thomas in the teens.  

For the most part, I think the top 100 picks are where you form the nucleus of your team. 

I don’t like the idea of putting all your eggs (4 top 100 picks) in one basket. 

If the guy gets hurt, or doesn’t pan out you have no backup plan. 

it’s almost like the Ricky Williams draft.