Diggs traded to Texans for picks

Just now, first_and_ten said:

WGR is saying we're eating 31 million. Who's right??

We were at a 27-28 million hit before the trade. Now it's 31 million. So only a few million additional cap hit was added. It's just all dead now

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The draft is before June 1. Thats why.

Well at first thought, we got no picks in this draft.  But if we wanted to be comfortable using next years assets to make a big move up, then I guess it makes some sense.  

Houston is building their team right. Going all in on OFFENSE. This is an offensive league and whoever scores the most points wins. The Bills are trying to run the ball more and play good defense. Someone needs to tell this isn't 2005

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, skibum said:

It was already looking like a proper rebuild, but I think the fans were in denial. Now there’s no hiding it. Unless Beane has something up his sleeve - like flipping this pick for some other vet WR1, Josh Allen will be throwing to a bunch of rooks and jags this year.

I think this is right.  1 year rebuild unless something crazy changes.  It's a bummer but may be for the best.  The team as constructed could not win the super bowl.  

I wonder if they see next year's draft as better than this years.

• Like (+1) 1

My attempt to convince myself the sky isn't falling:

• A lot of people believe Kincaid will turn into a go-to receiver.
  • A lot of people believe Shakir is blossoming into a good starter.
  • A lot of people believe Curtis Samuel is a good starter.
  • It's still a very deep WR class with a ton of guys that project as starting caliber WRs.
  • The Chiefs just won the Super Bowl in which their top receivers were a declining (albeit still very good) Travis Kelce, Rashee Rice, and Marques Valdes-Scantling.

If all of that stuff is true, we should still have a pretty good group of receivers even without trading up in the draft and probably a better group than some of the other contenders have had recently.

I don't know how much of that I actually believe though lol.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

The group that absolutely hates this move, and is acting as if we just lost Jerry Rice in his prime - these are the same folks that said he was washed for the entire second half of last year, right? 

It's not about losing Diggs. It's the dead cap space. 

Beane needs to earn his money now.  Go get a top 4 WR in this draft (Harrison/Nabers/Odunze/Thomas Jr)

Grab another in the 3rd via trade back in the second.  Maybe a Legette falls.

Go into the season with a WR room locked down for the next 3 years and build a damn championship team

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Well at first thought, we got no picks in this draft.  But if we wanted to be comfortable using next years assets to make a big move up, then I guess it makes some sense.  

Yeah, the idea of trading next years 1st with this years 1st and 2nd to move up makes a lot of sense now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

1 minute ago, appoo said:

How would waiting for June 1 reduce the cap hits? Hes not getting cut 

I thought if we traded him after June 1st people were saying his cap hit this year would be a lot less.  That seemed to be what everyone was saying in the big Diggs thread. 

Bold 2024  prediction:  Bills face Texans in the divisonal round of the playoffs.  Josh Allen single handedly brings the team back twice from Q4 deficits.  However the second time in the quarter he puts the Bills ahead by 6, he scored too fast, leaving a full minute on the clock.  Texans come back to win on the last series with a Stroud to Diggs TD pass.  We will have a long discussion how Brady and Allen need to learn to milk the clock to the last play of the game, because we can't expect the defense to hold any sort of lead in Q4 of a playoff game. 

• Vomit 1

5 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Amen. The over-reaction on this board is hilarious.

And for everyone bitching that it is "only" a 2nd round pick, we also got a 6th this year, and a 5th next year.  Those picks matter when you are reloading the roster.

I do not think we are the ones getting the 5th and 6th--- I believe we are sending those to Houston

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I could kinda sorta get behind this trade if it came with a pick in this year's draft, when there are all those good receivers to be had.  But not until next year?  Boy this year is going to be a struggle.

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

clearly not the plan.

Wont be shocked if we are trading up for a bigger name in the draft with that ammo. 

a 1 and 2 plus who knows what else (or next years 1 and we keep the extra 2) might get you up to the WR3 or 4 off the board and those are guys you expect to be a true WR1 at this level. 

100% they’re taking a WR. Seems like there’s little other option. My concern isn’t that, my concern is immediately replacing the production that’s being sent out the door. 

Love him or hate him, over the course of a whole season he far and above facilitated the QB more than the guys we have on the books right now. 

Hope whoever this rookie is that they are the real deal.