Poyer talks about 13 seconds

It's almost as if, in the moment, the Bills coaches and players forgot that KC *only* needed a FG to tie and that they had a world class kicker.  It's like the team played to prevent a long TD.  Just complete absurdity.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/30/2024 at 9:52 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They were defending the big play. Hill had them terrified.

The final 3 plays of the 4th quarter. 1st is Hills 64 yard TD play and the next 2 were 13 seconds.

IMG_4129.webp

IMG_4130.webp

IMG_4131.webp

You want to cry looking at the second & third pix.  I for one was thrilled when Hill scored on the first pic with so much time.

Can I add, great coaching by Mc D there.  Remember he called timeouts too prior to both plays and came up with nothing.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 2

On 3/29/2024 at 5:49 PM, BufBills83 said:

If they run into that situation again, I would just not have anyone rush the QB.  They only have 13 seconds, they either have to throw something fast, or hold onto the ball longer, in which case its good for us.  They are going to do a quick throw so the rush isn't going to get there, and given the time, just put 11 guys in coverage and force a really tight throw.

Like, no one at the line or guys just standing around?.......what are you talking about?!?

19 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Like, no one at the line or guys just standing around?.......what are you talking about?!?

Nobody at the line. Everyone in coverage. There was literally no point in having a pass rush in that situation. McDermott blew it. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

Nobody at the line. Everyone in coverage. There was literally no point in having a pass rush in that situation. McDermott blew it. 

You know Mahomes can run, don't you?......if there's no one at the line, then what's to stop him from running up the gut, picking up some serious yards and calling a quick TO?

I see what you're getting at, but you gotta have someone at the LOS, perhaps 2-3 guys to keep Mahomes honest. You know that if there was no one home and Mahomes cut off a deep run, the media would have a field day of why McD didn't keep some guys there.

20 hours ago, zow2 said:

It's almost as if, in the moment, the Bills coaches and players forgot that KC *only* needed a FG to tie and that they had a world class kicker.  It's like the team played to prevent a long TD.  Just complete absurdity.

Well that’s exactly what happened. They played defense so as not to lose the game on a TD but completely disregarded giving up chunk plays for a FG attempt. That’s why I said it would’ve been better for them to be up 2, not 3, because the focus would change. Can’t give up any points, period. Those last two plays, make anyone besides Hill and Kelce beat you. Anyone. Where did the ball go? Hill. Then Kelce. And neither were challenged at the LoS. Just a gross mismanagement of the final 13 seconds.

Edited by Brand J
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

McD's defenders on this thread are unreal. They act as if a strategy of squib kick and holding or jamming Kelce/Hill at the line was 3D chess. 13 seconds was a masterpiece of coaching incompetence with repeated cascading errors that each piggy backed on the other. The people here talking that a squib kick would not have resulted in any time off are delusional. Even on a properly fielded squib kick, 2-3 seconds comes off the clock. If the player fielding the KO fumbles the squib kick and then has to pick it up, thats possibly 5-6 seconds off the clock. Everything changes after that. With only 8-10 seconds on the clock you keep everything tight and in front of you, no sideline outs and the game is over in two plays. No FG try is possible. Im not sure why so many think this simple strategy was beyond our coaches to figure out.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sweats said:

You know Mahomes can run, don't you?......if there's no one at the line, then what's to stop him from running up the gut, picking up some serious yards and calling a quick TO?

I see what you're getting at, but you gotta have someone at the LOS, perhaps 2-3 guys to keep Mahomes honest. You know that if there was no one home and Mahomes cut off a deep run, the media would have a field day of why McD didn't keep some guys there.

And you know that dropping into coverage doesn't mean all 11 guys standing at the goal line, don't you?

Rushing zero and putting everyone in pass coverage was the path to victory here and it's foolish to argue otherwise. Mahomes had to get rid of the ball quick or throw a deep prayer. There were no other options. McDermott was afraid of giving up a TD so he essentially conceded a FG. It's an absolute hall of fame coaching blunder that should have resulted in him not being let on the team plane home after the game, but unfortunately his cowardly ass is still here. A blind child playing Madden couldn't have screwed that up any worse. And it wasn't like he was being hurried. The clown called timeouts before each of the two plays before the FG.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

KC called timeout the previous play (and we used our stupid defensive timeout to freaking boot) - like you had SOOO much time to just be like.  There are 8 seconds.  2 rushers - everyone else in man, and hold immediately off the LOS.  They will call holding and KC probably lose the time on the clock.  You can only usually do it once before they'll call the intentional hold foul.  After that itll be first and 10 and potentially as little as 0 on the clock for a hail mary at midfield.  

yup. 

13 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

McD's defenders on this thread are unreal. They act as if a strategy of squib kick and holding or jamming Kelce/Hill at the line was 3D chess. 13 seconds was a masterpiece of coaching incompetence with repeated cascading errors that each piggy backed on the other. The people here talking that a squib kick would not have resulted in any time off are delusional. Even on a properly fielded squib kick, 2-3 seconds comes off the clock. If the player fielding the KO fumbles the squib kick and then has to pick it up, thats possibly 5-6 seconds off the clock. Everything changes after that. With only 8-10 seconds on the clock you keep everything tight and in front of you, no sideline outs and the game is over in two plays. No FG try is possible. Im not sure why so many think this simple strategy was beyond our coaches to figure out.

There was no difficult coaching involved.  The mental gymnastics amazes me.  Very simple sqibb or what the Bills did well that year was high kick short of the goal line to the 5 forcing a return (fair catch was introduced in 2023).  Second rush three and and don't let Kelce or Hill off the line.  Two TO's means sidelines are not an issue.  That's it, that's all. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

There was no difficult coaching involved.  The mental gymnastics amazes me.  Very simple sqibb or what the Bills did well that year was high kick short of the goal line to the 5 forcing a return (fair catch was introduced in 2023).  Second rush three and and don't let Kelce or Hill off the line.  Two TO's means sidelines are not an issue.  That's it, that's all. 

What if KC recovers the squib at the 25 and immediately downs it?

I think where the coaching failed was definitely allowing free release off the line for Kelce on the final play of the 4th. Kelce isn’t running by anyone there, they should’ve had Wallace in his face.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

What if KC recovers the squib at the 25 and immediately downs it?

I think where the coaching failed was definitely allowing free release off the line for Kelce on the final play of the 4th. Kelce isn’t running by anyone there, they should’ve had Wallace in his face.

That's why I said a short kick to the 5-10 yard line that needs to be returned (minimum 3-4 seconds off the clock).   A good sqibb kick works too.  Isn't that what they practice all year for these situations? 

BTW Christies squibb in 2000 was horrible too.😉

6 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

That's why I said a short kick to the 5-10 yard line that needs to be returned (minimum 3-4 seconds off the clock).   A good sqibb kick works too.  Isn't that what they practice all year for these situations? 

BTW Christies squibb in 2000 was horrible too.😉

Again we’re making way too big a deal about the kickoff. Anything can happen when you mess around on kickoffs. No one can predict what happens. 

The issue is they let them go 44 yards in 2 plays. I can’t really complain about the 1st play. Fine. But the Kelce play was awful. How do you allow Kelce that much space knowing all they need is 10 yards for a real FG attempt. They should’ve played their normal defense on that play. 

On 3/29/2024 at 5:15 PM, boater said:

McDermott Supporters and McDermott Detractors should suck it up and go to couples therapy. They rehash the same issues over and over--similar to what couples do.

A counselor can straighten that out once and for all.

If a counselor looked at it objectively, they'd say the McD detractors are of clear mind and and the McD supporters are irrational. 

On 3/29/2024 at 2:47 PM, JerseyBills said:

Wait, how do you come away from that and say it's a McDermott issue? I'm genuinely interested in your reasoning..

A. The ST coach should've called a squib, obviously.  

.B. Frazier called the plays. But you claim it's a McDermott issue🙄

I said since that game that this was the main killer. They were so afraid of Reek from the series before that they went super,ultra soft coverage 

But if the stoopid ST coordinator simply kicks a squib, we win.. smh.. that was so gut wrenching 

The "Frazier called the plays" excuse is far and away the worst one out there. 

McDermott is the Head Coach. If he doesn't like the way they are set up or what's being called, HE CAN CHANGE IT! People like yourself act like he was on the sidelines thinking "I really hate what we're doing here, but there's just absolutely nothing I can do. I'm just completely helpless to help the team or another coach". 

It's mind-boggling that you guys think this way. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/29/2024 at 3:20 PM, Beast said:

It has been beat to death about the squib kick. There is a reason the ST coach was fired and Leslie didn’t come back. 

Except that McMeddle took over play calling at the end of the game. Caused confusion on the squibb. And blew the Defensive calls. Shoulda just let the people he hired do their jobs instead of micromanaging one of the worst coaching blunders in NFL history.

When you compare Sean's DVOA from 2023 to Leslie's DVOA in 2022 and 2021, sacks went up, but Leslie's overall DVOA rank was higher. 

Just now, GerstAusGosheim said:

Except that McMeddle took over play calling at the end of the game. Caused confusion on the squibb. And blew the Defensive calls. Shoulda just let the people he hired do their jobs instead of micromanaging one of the worst coaching blunders in NFL history.

When you compare Sean's DVOA from 2023 to Leslie's DVOA in 2022 and 2021, sacks went up, but Leslie's overall DVOA rank was higher. 

The end is ultimately on McDermott, it’s his team. I defend McDermott’s thinking in that moment because he didn’t trust his players. I understand why he didn’t trust his players.

Personally in those moments I would rather put it on the players to get beat rather than allow the opposition easy yards.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/29/2024 at 3:47 PM, JerseyBills said:

A. The ST coach should've called a squib, obviously.  

B. Frazier called the plays. But you claim it's a McDermott issue🙄

People still think Frazier called the plays at the end of the game and McDermott didn't confuse the squibb kick call?

No wonder Sean still has supporters. 

2 minutes ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

People still think Frazier called the plays at the end of the game and McDermott didn't confuse the squibb kick call?

He keeps winning divisions he should have supporters. I’m so tired of the clueless Bills fans thinking there’s a Chief slayer out there and Pegula won’t hire him.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He keeps winning divisions he should have supporters. I’m so tired of the clueless Bills fans thinking there’s a Chief slayer out there and Pegula won’t hire him.

I will happily and enthusiastically call myself a clueless Bills fan when he wins an actual championship. He blew our best chance in 30 years. Until then, he's just an average coach being carried by a generational QB in many people's eyes. 

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

The "Frazier called the plays" excuse is far and away the worst one out there. 

If Leslie Frazier called the D at the end of :13, Sean would have fired him on the spot.

Instead, he returned the following season, and despite having an injury plagued D and the near-death of a player, had the #2 ranked D.

When Sean's hand-selected rookie OC only put up 10 points against Cincy with Josh-freaking-Allen as his QB, Leslie got fired.

It took Sean another half season to figure out who the real problem was.

Sean's D was ranked 12th last season.

And now we have a rookie DC.

Edited by GerstAusGosheim

7 minutes ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

I will happily and enthusiastically call myself a clueless Bills fan when he wins an actual championship. He blew our best chance in 30 years. Until then, he's just an average coach being carried by a generational QB in many people's eyes. 

I always love these conversations. McDermott literally drafted Josh Allen and hand picked Brandon Beane. But he’s being carried.

He’s lost to Mahomes and Burrow, so the “he has Josh Allen” argument doesn’t work.

He definitely deserves criticism because he always loses his final game in the playoffs, but he also deserves respect for building a contender.

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

that we were so dedicate to protecting the outside really left the inside quick hitter wiiiiide open and that’s way worse given how much quicker that play is

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I always love these conversations. McDermott literally drafted Josh Allen and hand picked Brandon Beane. But he’s being carried.

He’s lost to Mahomes and Burrow, so the “he has Josh Allen” argument doesn’t work.

He definitely deserves criticism because he always loses his final game in the playoffs, but he also deserves respect for building a contender.

These are all good points, but you can't say he literally drafted Josh Allen and ignore that he literally traded away Mahomes.

He has my respect for turning the franchise around and building a contender. But he has a generational QB and it's time to win.

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

How did McDermott literally draft Allen lol

Beane drafted Allen. What McDermott did was trade Mahomes to KC the year prior

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

How did McDermott literally draft Allen lol

Beane drafted Allen. What McDermott did was trade Mahomes to KC the year prior

lol. 😂 You guys. 

McDermott is king! I’ve been saying it since day 1. Everything that happens only happens because McDermott wants it.

Yes he traded away Mahomes. Yes he drafted Allen. 

36 minutes ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

These are all good points, but you can't say he literally drafted Josh Allen and ignore that he literally traded away Mahomes.

He has my respect for turning the franchise around and building a contender. But he has a generational QB and it's time to win.

And I agree it’s time to win a Super Bowl. It’s always time to win a Super Bowl with Allen. 

• Like (+1) 2

Teams don't drop a losing culture overnight. The Holmgren era Packers lost in the playoffs to Jimmy Johnson's Cowboys for years before breaking through. I believe with the changes in coordinator we are in a better place than we were since that AFC title game. Beane and McDermott are legacy hires. I am more convinced than ever that we'll get it by staying the course. It must just be one like Madden, Holmgren, Ditka, Carroll, Payton, Gruden, Dungy and Cowher but I'll take it.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

i mean how do you know he did or didn't? Just assuming that the ST and DC coaches were responsible for what's in their job title - calling plays...🤷‍♂️

I'm a big McDermott supporter but he blew the end of the 13 seconds game.  I mentioned not rushing anyone at Mahomes for the plays on the last drive.  I mean no pass rushers, 11 in coverage, not everyone deep but probably 3 deep, 4-5 intermediate 15-20 yards and then the other 3-4 short.  Don't worry about the sideline because they had 2 timeouts.  That way you have 11 guys in coverage when you know Mahomes has to throw immediately and its either going to be short and call timeout, or deep and hope for a prayer.  As for Mahomes running, if Mahomes runs, that will take too much time.  A decent run of 10-15 yards would take 5+ seconds and with 11 in coverage and multiple guys covering short, that may not even be possible cause everyone has eyes on the QB and can't rush past him.

Edited by BufBills83
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Yep beating a dead horse, but Poyer discussed it and it was a story.  

Suffice to say that the Bills those 13 seconds basically did everything 100% wrong and what made it so sad is they called 2 timeouts and still couldn't figure anything out. 

McD froze in the moment.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

How are we still even talking about this?!?........it was yet another epic meltdown by this franchise at the end of a game (.....and cue the Music City Miracle, Hail Murray, 12 men on the field against Denver, etc).

Suffice to say, the team blew it with 13 seconds......the whole team, from the coaching on down. It'll go down in the annals of this team's history that they choke at the end of games, the HC just can't get it done, the D is a complete dumpster fire when they try to close out, etc.

Is it the players or is it coaching?.......like Marv Levy used to say, "when i clap my hands, which hand makes the noise?"

I would think that this team has learned their lesson by this point, which they haven't, and we'll deal with this again.......you can bet on that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He's a great architect,  just a lousy building manager. 

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He's a great architect,  just a lousy building manager. 

I think we’re going to get answers on McDermott over the next couple seasons. 

Im interested to see how the rebuild on defense goes. Terrel Bernard’s success kind of made me dig in deeper for McDermott. I mean he literally hand picked that guy to replace Edmunds and every fan and media member thought he was crazy.

2 hours ago, Sweats said:

How are we still even talking about this ?

I think we continue to talk and speculate endlessly about 13 seconds is because the truth about all the breakdowns has never been fully revealed. 

If McDermott has indeed taken responsibility then why not reveal second by second all the mistakes that happened? Whether by coaching staff or the players ?

I'm not saying McD should call a press conference but if asked on a podcast what happened he should tell everything. 

"Coach, well what exactly happened during 13 seconds ?"

McDermott: "I'm surprised we're still talking about this but let me take full responsibility. The buck stops with me. I'm going to answer every question..."

But McD hasn't done that. He's been incredibly secretive about it, perhaps more secretive than the government is about UFOs in Roswell New Mexico.

And by suppressing the truth, instead of burying the issue, it has had an opposite effect.

Years later we are still talking about it coming up with theory after theory. Fans are trying to fill in the gaps.

I started the OP hoping that more truth would come out and we could put this to rest.

But it had the opposite effect fueling even more speculation and much of that is McDermotts fault by not coming clean.

The Bills fans deserve to know the truth.

My fellow Bills fans alway remember

"The harder you try to suppress the truth, the more inevitable it is that it will find a way to come out.” 

20 hours ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

THIS!!!!

All day, all week, all month, all year and unfortunately for a few more of Josh’s upcoming seasons.

All the while, the McD , ball washing, rose colored glasses wearing deniers will be like : Nice take, why do you call yourself a Bills fan? SMDH

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I think we continue to talk and speculate endlessly about 13 seconds is because the truth about all the breakdowns has never been fully revealed. 

If McDermott has indeed taken responsibility then why not reveal second by second all the mistakes that happened? Whether by coaching staff or the players ?

I'm not saying McD should call a press conference but if asked on a podcast what happened he should tell everything. 

McDermott: "I'm surprised we're still talking about this but let me take full responsibility. The buck stops with me. I'm going to answer every question..."

But McD hasn't done that. He's been incredibly secretive about it, perhaps more secretive than the government is about UFOs in Roswell New Mexico.

And by suppressing the truth, instead of burying the issue, it has had an opposite effect.

Years later we are still talking about it coming up with theory after theory. Fans are trying to fill in the gaps.

I started the OP hoping that more truth would come out and we could put this to rest.

But it had the opposite effect fueling even more speculation and much of that is McDermotts fault by not coming clean.

"The harder you try to suppress the truth, the more inevitable it is that it will find a way to come out.” 

I think players messed up. Thats why it’s not talked about.

3 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

We also know with 100% certainly that the secrecy that you mention stems from him.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

We'll never get an answer, but as a good coach he can fall on the sword and say it was me and I thought the best course was not allowing a Hill return and wanting to protect against a 30 yard reception on first down.

I wish I could have a chance to do it again as we would do things differently.

Is that so hard?

On 4/1/2024 at 11:52 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They didn’t lose because they kicked it deep. They went 44 yards in 2 plays. If you include the play before 13 seconds the Chiefs gained 108 yards in 3 plays scoring 10 points in like 20 seconds.

We are agreed that McD was catastrophically inept and ill prepared to defend 2 plays,even having his own TOs! He contributed nada!

But, you’re missing THE point. Squibb KO kicking reduces the balance of mathematical possibilities by 4-5 seconds to TWO plays! Defending ONE 40-45 yard Pass from Mahomes to be able to kick that FG!

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

We are agreed that McD was catastrophically inept and ill prepared to defend 2 plays,even having his own TOs! He contributed nada!

But, you’re missing THE point. Squibb KO kicking reduces the balance of mathematical possibilities by 4-5 seconds to TWO plays! Defending ONE 40-45 yard Pass from Mahomes to be able to kick that FG!

If the Chiefs actually return the squib.