Poll - Would you trade our 2025 1st round pick to move up in this draft to get a top WR

Virgil

Would you trade our 2025 1st round pick to move up to 17 or 18 in this draft for a WR?  

290 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade our 2025 1st round pick to move up to 17 or 18 in this draft for a WR?

• Yes
    • No

I understand people mentioning Watkins. That one didn't work out for us. But it's not a crutch for sitting on your hands if there is a supremely talented guy who gets pushed down due to other teams' needs, or people jumping up for QB's. Think about what you're saying:

"Oh, dear God, no. We can't trade up for a guy in 2024 because a guy in 2014 didn't work out. We should learn from that."

It's quite ridiculous when you think about it. You can't look at every player through your "Watkins glasses" and assume they will flop. That's your own PDSD (post draft stress disorder). Whatever Beane does, I will trust and hope for the best. But if next year's 1st would land us MHJ, Nabers, or Odunze I would be all in. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Honestly have no clue. All depends on what Beane has them graded. If 1 is available that Beane n Co thinks will have a major impact than I'd def pull the trigger on that trade to have a future WR1 on this roster  

It worked out 4 years ago. 

• Agree 1

Moving from 28 to 18 would cost way too much.  What?  Both of this year's 4th round picks and next year's 3rd.

Three names illustrate why a trade up would be foolish.

Sammy Watkins.  As has already been pointed out, the trade up for him was a complete bust. 

Mike Evans, in the same draft (who is still in the league) was available, though the Bills would have also had to trade up to get him, but for much less.  Moving up from eight to six would have cost only a third-round pick.  Oh well.  Hindsight is 20-20. 

Justin Jefferson was the fifth WR taken in the first round of the 2020 draft and has turned out to be the pick of the litter.  

This is the deepest draft at WR in some time, there is no need to move up imo. Identify your guy which Beane already said would be versatile and not necessarily be an x, o or slot WR but can play him anywhere. So who are some WR in this draft who are fast, can separate and who have played both outside and inside and those are the players we should be looking at.

Here is Steve Smith Sr. take on the WR class. 

His view of WR Xavier Leggette is interesting to me, because that was who I thought I was seeing when I watched him but to hear it from a legit boss at the position makes me like him even more imo.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel2014
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I would never trade a future first round selection for any player outside of a QB. In the NFL where injury is so volatile no draft prospect outside of a QB (who can play for 15+ years and completely turn around the fortunes of a franchise) is worth giving up a future first round pick for. From a sheer numbers perspective if you give up multiple premium picks for a WR or DE and that player gets hurt or is a bust not only did you burn a first on them but you burnt multiple selections on that player. Any player can get hurt or be a bust so the risk far outweighs the reward of robbing Peter to pay Paul so to speak. 

Given how Beane's philosophy is to keep the team is to sustain a winning core to keep a window for success open as long as possible and eventually you will get lucky, I don't see him "mortgaging the future" so to speak nor would it be prudent to do so. 

Can't forget it's coat controlled at what is quickly accelerating towards the #2 highest paid position in football.

If you have a guy left in your tier #1 within reach you don't sit back and wait for tier 2 at a position of need.

Sitting still causes you to miss out on your guy, but also can compromise a strict BPA strategy. 

You'll never be able to afford a WR1 in FA with Josh and a team this solidly built.... if needed, spend cap resources, do it once, but be sure about it. Remember taking a stab at RB in 3rd rd 2 years in a row, to have zero #1s.....

Imagine spending two #1s and not getting THE guy you wanted. I'm neither for or against the idea, come up with consensus WR tiers, commit to following the rules the board dictates

I would trade our RD1 this year and next, plus extra to get Malik Nabers.  I think that guy is made in a lab for Josh Allen. 

I'm not doing that to move up for Brian Thomas.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I would trade our RD1 this year and next, plus extra to get Malik Nabers.  I think that guy is made in a lab for Josh Allen. 

i agree, except i might trade up for thomas, but not at the cost of a 1st or whatever.

if we add an actual star WR, someone who in 2 or 3 years is objectively better than diggs, then this team is a problem of the highest caliber.

in my barely informed opinion, nabers is that guy this year, and getting him might mean we traded away the 32nd pick

26 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Based on draft value charts, trading our RD1 this year and next, that should be able to get us up to around pick 13.  And then obviously throw in a little more or get some picks back in return, if Beane really does like one of the top four WRs and one of them is slipping, maybe we can figure out a deal with someone.  If one of these guys has the potential to be an All-Pro with Josh throwing to him, I try and make the move.

2 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Moving from 28 to 18 would cost way too much.  What?  Both of this year's 4th round picks and next year's 3rd.

Three names illustrate why a trade up would be foolish.

Sammy Watkins.  As has already been pointed out, the trade up for him was a complete bust. 

Mike Evans, in the same draft (who is still in the league) was available, though the Bills would have also had to trade up to get him, but for much less.  Moving up from eight to six would have cost only a third-round pick.  Oh well.  Hindsight is 20-20. 

Justin Jefferson was the fifth WR taken in the first round of the 2020 draft and has turned out to be the pick of the litter.  

A smaller trade up I think most fans are good with even for a WR. Moving up 10 spots would probably cost you swapping pick 60 with a mid-round selection or multiple mid round selections plus a future pick. I think the issue I generally have is you should never trade away a future 1st for a non-QB player. The risk is just far too high and the reward not great enough. 

If one of the top 3 receivers slides back to  somewhere in the 15-18  range I would definitely draft him.  We"re probably losing Diggs next year and odds are that next year's first round pick would probably be in the 28-32 range.  So, if we don't make the move this year, we would have to next year.  Will the WR's in the draft next year be better?

I answered no, not because of the talent in this draft of the risks as I have no idea of there's a WR that will pan out. I'm simply looking at it from a cap management perspective, Beane needs to keep his picks and hit on many of them, this is simply the reality of having Allen on his mega contract. I'm just hoping we can follow the Patriots model of using the extra draft capital of never having to draft a QB on ever shifting complementary pieces around him.