Casey Toohill signed

IBTG81

From 2020 Draft Profile

Overview

Toohill's a tricky projection based upon his issues stopping the run, but he has great flashes as a pass rusher. His body type may not be fully finished and additional play strength would be crucial considering his inability to anchor and shed against run blocks. His rush is much less effective against stronger tackles, but he's a decent athlete and hints at rush skill that has room for development. He's currently caught between a 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE. If he can become bigger, stronger and more polished as a rusher, he might make sense as a backup edge with sub-package talent as a wide-9 technique.

Strengths

Possesses NFL frame ready to take on additional muscle mass. Posted 11.5 tackles for loss and eight sacks in first year as full-time starter. Length to overtake stutter-stepping runners from backside. Fluid and athletic when playing downhill. Upfield rush bolstered by snap quickness. Active hands work to displace punch and attack resets. Bend and agility to bend the top of the rush. Pass rush has a second gear to close. Lays the lumber into quarterbacks every shot he gets. Has two career blocked extra points.

Weaknesses

Doesn't use hands to take charge at point of attack. Unable to anchor down and hold the edge. Struggles to come unglued from blocks. Sputters to recover once he's behind during engagements. Leggy and lethargic with lateral slides to close down gaps. Doesn't hit speed to conversion effectively as rusher. Rush counters are telegraphed. Redirect blocks tap his brakes when attacking the edge. Not athletic enough for spot drops in coverage.

47 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Pure pass rusher, not a run defender, but can help in passing situation. 

That's fine. We need some of those. Likely didn't break the bank. 

Hopefully we get more out of him than the last Commander DL guy we signed.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, boco357 said:

Chris Kelsay 2.0

I like that comp.   Reminds me of how much more in-tune with player capabilities the average fan can be now with all of the metrics that separate player strengths and weaknesses.    Because most of TSW would have insisted Kelsay was a run-stuffing base DE back in the day just because he didn't get many sacks.   

41 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Actually he is super athletic!

IMG_9224.webp

I am assuming that's a link to his RAS.........which won't open on my apple products for whatever reason so here is a link:

https://ras.football/2020/02/11/casey-toohill-ras/

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

Does this mean goodbye Shaq Lawson? 

I am not sure this is preventing Shaq from coming into camp to compete for that back end of the rotation DE spot. Seems like this guy is more of a marginal DL addition. 

I think that I preferred Shaq. This feels like an either/or situation. Shaq is a solid run defender, contains well, bats down passes and gets occasional pressure. He has limited upside but as a 6th DE I think I prefer his solid floor. On a bad day he’s okay. On a great day, he’s pretty good. That’s what I prefer for a rotational back of the roster guy. I don’t need those guys to win games at their best. I just want them to not lose games at their worst. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

With Hollins, Samuel and Toohill, Beane has brought in 3 players who loves to dance after making plays😎

We're definitely winning the Cabaret Skills portion of the skills competition this year.

• Like (+1) 1