Russ signs 1yr $1.2M deal with Pittsburgh

Process

17 minutes ago, CSBill said:

That seems really cheap?

Unique situation where he was going to get paid $39m no matter what.  Broncos are now paying him $37.8m not to play for them.  I don't think Russ takes the deal without some assurances which isn't a good sign for Pickett.  I think they're just spinning their wheels though and will take a QB in the first round next year.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Billl said:

His contract is a dollar for dollar offset, so he doesn’t get a penny more of actual money unless he gets paid more than $39 million.  The part that isn’t offset is the salary cap, so “earning” more would only hurt the team’s salary cap.

I get that.  I’m just saying the Steelers can move on from him like they’re cutting the 90th man on the roster.  A top QB could fall to them in the draft.  If Pickett is even close to him in training camp, they’ll go with Pickett since he’s under contract for at least 2 more years.  To the Steelers that contract is the equivalent of training camp fodder.  

6 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

From Steelers POV it’s a genius move. They weren’t going to draft one of the top 6 QBs and now Pickett has legit cheap competition. 

Now for the Russell Wilson side which I don’t understand:

All in all it wasn’t a bad move because he could very well beat out Pickett (I doubt it) but the smart move would’ve been to wait 

The issue is that if the rumours about him being a locker room cancer are true, then he wouldn't have a lot of suitors. If there were many teams vying for him  he would have gotten more money. If not for anything else, to not have a year on his resume with such a dip in salary. 

Much like Belichick, the market may not have been as crazy about him being available 

For a million dollars, it's a good deal, but what is the steelers long term plan? Let's say russ gets them to 10-7, they won't have a high draft pick to draft a qb, and russ is on the backside of his career. I wouldn't exactly be pumped if I was a steelers fan. This seems like it could set them back in the long run, but what do I know 

• Like (+1) 1

Good news from a Bills perspective.  Whether you believe Russ is washed or not, he’ll be competent for Pittsburgh and I like seeing those four AFCN teams beating each other up.

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Steptide said:

For a million dollars, it's a good deal, but what is the steelers long term plan? Let's say russ gets them to 10-7, they won't have a high draft pick to draft a qb, and russ is on the backside of his career. I wouldn't exactly be pumped if I was a steelers fan. This seems like it could set them back in the long run, but what do I know 

The Steelers are starting to feel like the Bills of 2000-2017.  The Russ signing reminds me of when we traded for Bledsoe 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Weird.  I get that Denver is on the hook for $39m, but if I’m Wilson I’d want the Steelers to commit more to me than the vet minimum.  Steelers can move on or cut him if he struggles at all without thinking twice.  

This is due to his Denver contract containing offset language. Whatever he gets paid this season by another team gets deducted from what Denver has to pay him. 

Also the Steelers play at Denver this year. 

8 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

jeez. Imagine your employer wanting to get rid of you so bad they set you up for life

I had an employer one time that did just that… Except it wasn’t setting me up for life in the positive sense… Blackballing and defamation were a strong suit of his. 

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

Living in the Pittsburgh area I’ve come to realize that the organization always has the mindset to win now irrespective of the year prior or the projection. Same with their fans. It’s actually the only way a team should think unless they are absolutely in rough shape of talent across the board. 

You can make a trade to get up there in the draft to grab a QB in the future but they are still in play this year for a QB… Bo Nix, McCarthy, Penix Jr. could all be someone they look to get and sit for a year or two.