UPDATE: SIGNED Bills looking at bringing back Trubisky per Tim Graham

4 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Last yr showed that all kinds of bkups can win in this league even young guys like Jake Browning , Tommy Devito , Tyson Bagent or Bailey Zapped won games. The game has changed over the years u can draft a QB in late rds or even undrafted and win a couple games with them it doesn't have to be a 5mil dollar bkup like Trashbisky . 

OK…..

Of all the moves yesterday, this one had me puzzled. Trubisky looked so bad last year with the Steelers. Why not sign a rookie instead of this retread. Is this just a move to make Josh feel comfortable? Like theres no competition whatsoever for the starting job? What's the logic here?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Why don’t they just bring back Frank Reich. I hear he’s available.

seriously though, I hope the Bills draft a kid in the late rounds and try to develop a backup that can possibly be a legit starter if called upon.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No that doesn’t sound better because it still isn’t true. Being honest would sound better. He didn’t think Tre was more important than Mahomes. He thought, what many at the time thought, that the 2018 draft was THE draft to find a QB. He drafted an all-pro corner, used the extra 3rd to move up to get a WR that didn’t work out, and gained a 1st in 2018 to ensure that he would get a QB. He thought, “an all-pro corner, an extra top 100 pick and a 2018 1st to use to secure my QB is better than a toolsy raw QB prospect out of Texas Tech or a sexual predator out of Clemson.”

I know that you’re trying to use revisionist history to alter the memory of some but Watson was widely regarded as the top QB in that draft with Trubisky as his competition for that spot. Mahomes was a late riser with great skills but a style that hadn’t translated to the league at that point. But go ahead and keep making up facts and trying to pass them off as truths. 

If you wanted Mahomes, no one will begrudge you. Just don’t be disingenuous and mislead people to fit your narrative. The Bills got their QB the next year, and, with the exception of Mahomes, he is the top QB in the league. The trade worked out fine. Not for nothing, but the draft value charts that NFL teams use, show that the Bills received a premium from the Chiefs to go to that spot. Again, let’s deal in facts. This place is so much better when people are truthful.

First of all, I am not trying to sway anyone to agree with me. I come here to talk about the Bills and football. I don't necessarily care whether or not you agree with my takes, and I'm quite certain that the feeling is mutual. That said, let's explore that trade a bit more, shall we? 

When McDermott made this trade, Beane was not there. Do you really think that McDermott was sure of Josh Allen being there for them in 2018?  I make the case that they lucked into Josh. In that same draft (2018) they also traded up for Tre Edmunds. Good move?

And if you think that the Bills received adequate compensation for the #10 pick, let's just agree to disagree. Going down 17 spots from a top 10 pick? For what they received? I don't think so. And really, it is up to professionals to recognize the best QB in football, not me and you.  We are just fans with opinions enjoying ourselves, no? 

So you see? There is no need to be accusatory or hostile. Not every fan has to support and/or every dumb move, or even  not so dumb move that the Bills make. We are fans, not cultish followers. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

Edited by Bill from NYC

33 minutes ago, Beast said:

Why don’t they just bring back Frank Reich. I hear he’s available.

seriously though, I hope the Bills draft a kid in the late rounds and try to develop a backup that can possibly be a legit starter if called upon.

I think people forget that Trubisky has some good upside and got to the playoffs with the Bears. I think he is a solid back-up that you can trust to come in and win you a couple of games if need be. 

Plus, he is a good friend of Josh and can help Josh when it comes to the mental side of the game and breaking down opponents. That in itself would be worth its weight in gold. 

Edited by Watkins90
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Livinginthepast said:

Of all the moves yesterday, this one had me puzzled. Trubisky looked so bad last year with the Steelers. Why not sign a rookie instead of this retread. Is this just a move to make Josh feel comfortable? Like theres no competition whatsoever for the starting job? What's the logic here?

Not puzzling at all. Trubisky comes across as a good team mate and smart. It is too bad his in-game performances have been bad. But in the Bills' situation, he is better than Kyle Allen. Depending on how the draft comes to us, I would support taking a 5th round or lower flyer on a QB in addition to having Trubisky.

As for his stint with the Steelers, I wonder how much of his awfulness (and yes he looked terrible in the couple of games I watched) was due to the OC Canada and how much was due to his limited skills. 

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

I think people forget that Trubisky has some good upside and got to the playoffs with the Bears. I think he is a solid back-up that you can trust to come in and win you a couple of games if need be. 

Plus, he is a good friend of Josh and can help Josh when it comes to the mental side of the game and breaking down opponents. That in itself would be worth its weight in gold. 

I don’t know how others feel but the “good friend of Josh” thing has worn out its welcome.

Josh is a good guy that can make friends with new players as well.

Edited by Beast
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

I think you forget that he didn't get a single victory in the games he was asked to play last season

1 hour ago, Sweats said:

I'm okay with the decision to bring him back.....you at least know you are getting a solid backup for sure and nothing more than that.

solid backup until he has to play...still not sure how he is solid

Edited by nucci

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No that doesn’t sound better because it still isn’t true. Being honest would sound better. He didn’t think Tre was more important than Mahomes. He thought, what many at the time thought, that the 2018 draft was THE draft to find a QB. He drafted an all-pro corner, used the extra 3rd to move up to get a WR that didn’t work out, and gained a 1st in 2018 to ensure that he would get a QB. He thought, “an all-pro corner, an extra top 100 pick and a 2018 1st to use to secure my QB is better than a toolsy raw QB prospect out of Texas Tech or a sexual predator out of Clemson.”

I know that you’re trying to use revisionist history to alter the memory of some but Watson was widely regarded as the top QB in that draft with Trubisky as his competition for that spot. Mahomes was a late riser with great skills but a style that hadn’t translated to the league at that point. But go ahead and keep making up facts and trying to pass them off as truths. 

If you wanted Mahomes, no one will begrudge you. Just don’t be disingenuous and mislead people to fit your narrative. The Bills got their QB the next year, and, with the exception of Mahomes, he is the top QB in the league. The trade worked out fine. Not for nothing, but the draft value charts that NFL teams use, show that the Bills received a premium from the Chiefs to go to that spot. Again, let’s deal in facts. This place is so much better when people are truthful.

It is absurd to think the HC (who didn't have the time to figure out the QB position 3 months from the draft in 2017) could assess during that time how the 2018 QB class would fare AND that Buffalo would get into position to draft one.  A new HC who needed help to draft a WR from the new position coach and then got intel from Carolina to jump up and take an OT in RD2.  The problem McD had in the 2017 off-season was he didn't prioritize the QB or offense in general and defaulted to what he knew: secondary and defense.  It was a strategic decision made by him, the dominant voice in the room (and still is) to go down that road.    

You well know that rebuilding teams don't have a chance in back to back years to find a veritable franchise QB.  Missed opportunities don't typically have happy endings for those teams, of which there are a few notables across the NFL right now.  Delaying the decision to draft a QB is often how new GMs and HC's wind up among the unemployed. 

The trade for Tre, on its face was bad then but is seen as worse not because we have hindsight on Mahomes.  It was bad investing a 1st round pick at a position that, from a positional value standpoint, features zone corners who aren't top picks or big dollar UFAs.  McD has demonstrated he can get adequate play from lesser value picks/UFAs. 

McD has and probably always will be stubborn to a fault by not acquiescing to the fact the NFL is offense-driven and his vision does not align with that.  He just started demonstrating that really early in 2017.   

1 minute ago, Starr Almighty said:

I think you forget that he didn't get a single victory in the games he was asked to play last season

The Steelers whole offense was a mess and Matt Canada was arguably the worst OC in the NFL. 

I'm not saying Mitch is a top tier backup, but I'm also gonna say that in the scope of what really matters for Bills W/L it's pretty unimportant. 

7 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

Okay? The Steelers didn't have nearly the weapons that we do. They also fired their offensive coordinator. I'm just saying that Trublisky has played some good football. I'd rather have someone who has at least proven enough to lead a team to the playoffs than some rookie we hope and pray about god forbid Josh ever gets hurt. My two cents. 

1 hour ago, Livinginthepast said:

I agree....clearly the dumbest move yesterday.  Here we go again,  another overpriced scrub vet who will never see the field for 2.7M.  We should've just drafted a late development guy for the rookie minimum.  

Edited by LABILLBACKER

12 hours ago, section122 said:

He was 0-4 as a starter last year.  In those 4 games had 4 tds and 5 ints and threw for an average of 153 ypg at 6.1 ypa.  None of those numbers inspire confidence that he can get us through 2 quarters or 2 weeks.

I agree he knows our locker room in a physical sense but how many players are left from 2 years ago when he was here? 

I disagree he knows our coaches or our system.  We have already hired and fired a coordinator since he left.  How many coaches are even left from dabolls staff when he was here?

I watched him last year and he was not good at all.  This and the haack signing are headscratchers and hopefully just place holders in case the positions can't be improved in the draft or late fa.

The entire Steelers offense stunk last year. Their offensive coordinator was fired midseason after fans openly chanted "Fire Canada!" at games.

The best Trubisky has looked in his career, arguably, was when he was wearing Bills blue. 

Sometimes certain offenses, styles, and locker rooms fit certain players better. I think Trubisky thrived here.

Moreover, I'm just not sure who people would prefer at backup QB. The REALLY good backups in the league -- of which there are very few to begin with -- command more money and likely want a chance to compete to start. The types of guys that are willing to sign cheap contracts to be a guaranteed backups are not generally "starting caliber". That's why they're backups.

So I guess my question is: what backup that's willing to come here on a cheap deal and know for sure that he can't compete to be the starter is better than Trubisky? Who should the Bills have signed instead?

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, nucci said:

solid backup until he has to play...still not sure how he is solid

he holds the clipboard at a sharper-than-45-degree angle, which reduces the chance the cameras can pick up his play charting 😂

Todd Collins made a ton of money doing that job well

come to think of it, I don't even think backups do that anymore

1 minute ago, HankBulloughMellencamp said:

he holds the clipboard at a sharper-than-45-degree angle, which reduces the chance the cameras can pick up his play charting 😂

Todd Collins made a ton of money doing that job well

come to think of it, I don't even think backups do that anymore

they wear a headset and look at video on the tablet now

• Like (+1) 1