UPDATE: SIGNED Bills looking at bringing back Trubisky per Tim Graham

1 hour ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

We should've given him a 1yr vet min with no guarantees and if he didn't want that then go somewhere else to play. The Bills should use a late Rd pk on a QB to develop for the bkup role there's actually potential in doing something like that maybe u hit big and u can trade that player for something down the line or at least u have a cost control player that bks up your star QB for yrs to come. 

They still can do that but the problem with that is there's no guarantees that the QB you draft in round 5 or 6 has any business being able to keep your team afloat if Allen goes down for three to five games or so.  At least you know with Trubisky that he is at worst a capable average backup and $2.6m is worth that insurance.  Better than the Steelers giving him more than $5m a year.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

They still can do that but the problem with that is there's no guarantees that the QB you draft in round 5 or 6 has any business being able to keep your team afloat if Allen goes down for three to five games or so.  At least you know with Trubisky that he is at worst a capable average backup and $2.6m is worth that insurance.  Better than the Steelers giving him more than $5m a year.

My point is he's not even worth that u have to consider the man stunk it up with Arguably better talent at the skill positions in Pitt. Then went on to lose his job to the 3rd string QB. So why the promotion with us ? Why the guaranteed money . I mean the Steelers from 2-53 might be a better team then we are and he went 1-2 averaging 12pts a game 

I'm done chatting about this he's horrible and I hate the pkup

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

You can do worse than Mitchy Biscuits at QB2 and we have been doing much worse.

The signing makes no sense. He was terrible last year. There were about 65 qbs who played at least a game or two last year. I would rank him bottom 10 closer to bottom 5. And not only that,  but mentally he looks lost.  Here are the qb stats from last year

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2023/passing.htm

I completely agree with this KC player:

Schwartz, who won Super Bowl LIV with the Kansas City Chiefs, isn't a fan Buffalo's strategy of cutting several players on Wednesday and then signing quarterback Mitch Trubisky.

"It’s hilarious that Buffalo is cutting all these guys and they’re still over the cap but they’re OK paying Trubisky more than league minimum. Do they not watch football?" Schwartz tweeted.

At the end of the day it probably doesn't matter because Allen is an Ironman. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

28 minutes ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

The signing makes no sense. He was terrible last year. There were about 65 qbs who played at least a game or two last year. I would rank him bottom 10 closer to bottom 5. And not only that,  but mentally he looks lost.  Here are the qb stats from last year

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2023/passing.htm

I completely agree with this KC player:

Schwartz, who won Super Bowl LIV with the Kansas City Chiefs, isn't a fan Buffalo's strategy of cutting several players on Wednesday and then signing quarterback Mitch Trubisky.

"It’s hilarious that Buffalo is cutting all these guys and they’re still over the cap but they’re OK paying Trubisky more than league minimum. Do they not watch football?" Schwartz tweeted.

At the end of the day it probably doesn't matter because Allen is an Ironman. 

The player cuts and the Trubisky signing are hardly related, if at all. Almost all the guys they cut outside of Morse should have been cut based on their performance/contract last season anyways. 

There are other teams losing really good players because they can't afford them.  That's not the case with the Bills.   

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

So I'd pay him more than Gabbert for the same reason I'd rather have Trubisky than Kyle Allen - he's better.

In what way is he better than either one of those guys?

He was downright awful in Pitt. Probably the worst QB in the league the past two seasons. He single handily lost numerous Steeler games.

8 minutes ago, Einstein said:

In what way is he better than either one of those guys?

He was downright awful in Pitt. Probably the worst QB in the league the past two seasons. He single handily lost numerous Steeler games.

I've set my position out on Trubisky above. If he is your starter he is one of the worst QBs in the league. But he has some skills that make him suited to being a serviceable backup. Kyle Allen has the worst pocket presence I have ever seen. He bails clean pockets at a ridiculous rate and has no ability to read a field at all. He is just a big guy with a reasonable arm. I said that before last season as well. We legit had one of the worst backup situations in football last year. And Blaine Gabbert is, and always has been, a tunrover machine. Even last year in KC he threw 35 passes and 3 interceptions. 

I am not here to tell you Mitch Trubisky is great. Backup Quarterbacks aren't great. But he is a lot better than Allen and Gabbert.

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/6/2024 at 8:04 PM, BillsFanForever19 said:

None of those things apply here. Our Backup is always going to be a Mitch, Keenum, Barkley, Kyle Allen type.

I'd rather backup be a Kordell Stewart backup type - someone who can throw but also make some players as a WR.  Would not hurt it they could hold a ball for FGs.

On 3/6/2024 at 8:10 PM, stuvian said:

let's hope never sees the field

Lets hope he does with many blowouts by Bills.

3 minutes ago, Punching Bag said:

I'd rather backup be a Kordell Stewart backup type - someone who can throw but also make some players as a WR.  Would not hurt it they could hold a ball for FGs.

How many Kordell Stewart types have existed in the NFL since Kordell Stewart almost 30 years ago?

I'm just about saving every penny for better fa's. Whether we draft a 5th/ 6th round Joe Milton and let him backup Josh for 4 cheap league minimum years. Or keep signing vet retreads for 2-2.5 when neither guy is likely to ever see the field based on Josh's durability.