Morse Released

1 minute ago, Realist said:

Aging, concussion history, 8 million cap hit...not sure why so many are surprised at this one.

Not.  It’s just a sad day.  These guys were all cornerstones - and make zero mistake Mitch absolutely was.  

• Agree 4

4 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Why didn’t we keep Bates?

In Bates 5 seasons in Buffalo, he has had 203 snaps at Center.  That's a little over 3 games.

I think us fans penciled him in as "heir apparent" Center too quickly.

They know what they had with Baters at Center.

5 minutes ago, Realist said:

Aging, concussion history, 8 million cap hit...not sure why so many are surprised at this one.

not everyone is the Realist that you are! 

Just now, nedboy7 said:

Morse was a leader. I hope he calls it quits and doesn’t take chances w his brain anymore. 

OL coach somewhere?  

• Like (+1) 1

I am a bit surprised on this one.  Though another restructure might be in order.  I thought once Beane finally got the OL right he would stick with it another year.  I thought it was more likely he would retire than get cut. When he said he was coming back, I thought ok, one less hole to fill. They can focus on WR and DL. 

I criticized this contract from day 1.  He was never as good as his contract paid him.  But for what he provided the OL and Allen it was probably worth it.  

• Like (+1) 1

I was very wrong about this one . Did not think he would get cut outright. 

I owe some other posters an apology. 

That being said I don’t agree with this move. I think it’s a mistake 

• Like (+1) 1

Ok this one I have some concerns about. First of all,  not cutting Morse. It was time, he gets bulldozed at times, is old, and waaay overpaid. Good move. BUT, if you knew you were going to cut him, then why trade his projected replacement in Bates? That seems puzzling. Also not sure about McGovern to center. We FINALLY had stability at the guard positions. Now who knows how Edward's does. Center just became a draft priority!

35 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Cutting Morse isn't a surprise. It was something I advocated for. But I'd have kept Bates as part of that. To be without both does surprise me.

Yeah surprised me as well.   I thought Morse would be cut and then Bates would be traded at the end of TC.   But the plan now, according to Shil Capaccio is for McGovern to start at C and Edwards be LG1.  As I've mentioned before,  I really want them to get some players out of this deep draft class at OL.   This opens up some roster space.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah surprised me as well.   I thought Morse would be cut and then Bates would be traded at the end of TC.   But the plan now, according to Shil Capaccio is for McGovern to start at C and Edwards be LG1.  As I've mentioned before,  I really want them to get some players out of this deep draft class at OL.   This opens up some roster space.

Yea I just said that in the Edwards thread. I gotta think one of our first four picks is gonna be on a lineman now!

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

this is concerning to me.

Everybody evaluates differently but Dallas repeatedly tried to make McGovern a more versatile player by giving him reps and time at center in the spring and camp.  They concluded he can not play center.

I feel like they just weakened the strength of the team.

For the time being yes it is weaker but let’s see how it unfolds before judging 

Ooof.  Not sure I like this one.  Our O line was pretty damn good last season for the first time in Allens career really.  Now they are going to mess with two positions of it?  Morse is a good center.  Last time I seen him go out it cost us games.  Is what it is I guess.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I just said that in the Edwards thread. I gotta think one of our first four picks is gonna be on a lineman now!

Not sure I agree. They probably think their starting 5 is set, and like Anderson as backup C and probably Van Demark as backup LT. It they think Anderson can backup all 3 interior spots, they could definitely wait till the 5th or later to draft OL. 

I do think they’ll look to draft at least 2 OL - 1 interior and 1 tackle.