Pats now have 101 million in cap space - What would you do with that?

Virgil

For $101 million dollars, I would probably spy and videotape other teams, deflate footballs, and probably get "professional" massages all of the time.

Sincerely,

Robert Kraft

Edited by Wizard

3 hours ago, dje85 said:

Kirk Cousins, Mike Evans, draft marvin harrison jr, sign best de free agent available, and one of the good vet rbs out there right now probably Saquan. That about spends the money but also puts them in the playoffs. 

I hate to say it, but they could do it.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I wouldn't rule anything out - but it's unlikely.

They're basically building a team from scratch if they go that route, w/ a whole new coaching staff.  That kind of overhaul would generally need some time, even w/ an upgrade in talent.

3 hours ago, Success said:

I wouldn't rule anything out - but it's unlikely.

They're basically building a team from scratch if they go that route, w/ a whole new coaching staff.  That kind of overhaul would generally need some time, even w/ an upgrade in talent.

They said the same thing about Houston… Granted the AFCS isn’t as strong as the East but the Pats could do a complete 180° if they play it smart. The defense is pretty solid in the secondary and interior/edge play of the box. A QB and some better protection, a few extra weapons; TE and a WR, another RB to compliment Stevenson sprinkled with some extra depth on defense and they are well on their way. They’re in a serious position to fix it in one year. 

A lot of big names they can splash the cash on and still have significant room to play with. It comes down to whether they go QB in the draft or FA and take the next best option to restart the franchise in MHJ; if he’s there. 

If they don’t go QB in the draft and trade back to settle for Nabers/Odunze/Thomas Jr/Bowers then Mayfield or Cousins are a relatively feasible option. 

Personally I am not counting them out of turning it around. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Virgil said:

With the recent release of DB Jackson, the Pats have 101 million in cap space.  That's an absolutely crazy number!  If you were the GM, besides disbanding the team and keeping the money for yourself, what would you do?  The Pats have 54 players under contract for 2024, so they don't exactly have a crazy number of holes to fill.  

For me, I would do the following:

- Since I don't have a QB, I would possibly look into other teams with cap concerns and maybe pull a Brock Osweiler trade to take on some salary cap, and acquire picks.  The Pats already have the #3 overall pick and are in prime position to draft a QB, but more picks for a new Coach and philosophy is always a good thing.

- Spend money in the trenches.  No matter where the Pats go at QB, build up that offensive line and defensive line.  Spend money on FA's with front loaded contracts that pay the majority in the first 3 years.  That way, when it's time to pay your skill players in that time, you will have money again to pay them.

- Get that short term player that can sell tickets.  I think I would go after a Barkley or Henry, even with Stevenson on the team.  I want someone that can put butts in seats while the team finds it's new identity. 

- Check the temperature on Kirk Cousins.  If you want the capacity to win now, Kirk is more than good enough to support a team into the playoffs.  I don't see him leaving Minnesota, but it can't hurt to ask

I know those are all pretty basic ideas, but that's what I got. 

I would start by trading a 3rd for Justin Fields and drafting Marvin Harrison Jr in the first round.  

11 hours ago, Virgil said:

With the recent release of DB Jackson, the Pats have 101 million in cap space.  That's an absolutely crazy number!  If you were the GM, besides disbanding the team and keeping the money for yourself, what would you do?  The Pats have 54 players under contract for 2024, so they don't exactly have a crazy number of holes to fill.  

For me, I would do the following:

- Since I don't have a QB, I would possibly look into other teams with cap concerns and maybe pull a Brock Osweiler trade to take on some salary cap, and acquire picks.  The Pats already have the #3 overall pick and are in prime position to draft a QB, but more picks for a new Coach and philosophy is always a good thing.

- Spend money in the trenches.  No matter where the Pats go at QB, build up that offensive line and defensive line.  Spend money on FA's with front loaded contracts that pay the majority in the first 3 years.  That way, when it's time to pay your skill players in that time, you will have money again to pay them.

- Get that short term player that can sell tickets.  I think I would go after a Barkley or Henry, even with Stevenson on the team.  I want someone that can put butts in seats while the team finds it's new identity. 

- Check the temperature on Kirk Cousins.  If you want the capacity to win now, Kirk is more than good enough to support a team into the playoffs.  I don't see him leaving Minnesota, but it can't hurt to ask

I know those are all pretty basic ideas, but that's what I got. 

Honestly, Cousins or Fields plus Evans and MHJ would be a pretty damn good start to turning things around there. Gotta bring back some players like Brown and Onwenu too. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

I’m a proponent of teams keeping their powder dry when they don’t have their franchise QB in place.   

However, they most likely will draft their QB this year and if I were their GM, I’d look to shore up their O line and get a good FA WR along with some other character fits.    I wouldn’t look to blow it all at once.   

The FA’s they pick look to have higher cap hits in the first year or two so that they don’t have to maneuver as much in a few years if indeed they did get their QB through the draft 

• Like (+1) 1

It depends on how much patience Robert Kraft is willing to have with building the team up. Ideally, I'd probably take a similar approach to what Beane did early on here; a lot of short-term contracts so you aren't committing to a lot before you get your QB. Take a flier on a short-term QB; Drew Lock if you're willing to go more high-risk. Maybe Tannehill if you just want some competence at QB while you survey the rest of the roster.

I would definitely put a lot of the cap space towards receivers and O-Line; guys like Gabe and Calvin Ridley would probably be near the top of my list at WR. I won't pretend to know who the best choices are for O-Line but it seems like there's a pretty decent amount of talent out there this offseason. Main point is to bring in solid players on short-term deals (might make an exception for the WRs).

As for the draft, it seems like there's starting to be some real talk about Drake Maye sliding out of the top 2. If he falls to 3, it's an easy choice. If Caleb and Maye go in the first two picks, I'd see what kind of offers people make for the #3 pick and probably move down if possible. If none of the offers feel great, take Marvin Harrison Jr. and keep it moving. If you can slide down and still end up with Nabers/Odunze, that would be excellent. O-Line would be good too. Maybe consider QB in the 2nd round depending on who is still there. I think I'd definitely consider Bo Nix if he's there and I'd kinda consider Penix, but in all likelihood, I'd probably end up going in another direction and just take a flier or two on Day 3. I haven't finished scouting the guys outside the top 6 QBs yet though; I know Spencer Rattler and Michael Pratt in particular have some fans but I can't say where I'd consider taking them right now.

The overarching point here though is that Caleb and Maye are the only two QBs I would take in the 1st round this year, so if they end up not being available, I would just slow play it for the season and see what happens next year.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

But would those guys do it?  The Cheaters are rebuilding and Mayo is a wholly unproven rookie HC.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, dje85 said:

Kirk Cousins, Mike Evans, draft marvin harrison jr, sign best de free agent available, and one of the good vet rbs out there right now probably Saquan. That about spends the money but also puts them in the playoffs. 

Somehow Belichick would still get credit for this

• Haha (+1) 2

14 hours ago, dje85 said:

Damn good plan.  I'd for sure try to lure Kirk there for an immediate remedy at QB and that may entice Evans to join him.  

Already having Rhamondre Stevenson at RB, I'd go with the cheaper option of Ekeler rather than Saquon, then draft Marvin Harrison Jr or Drake Maye, if you believe in his talent.  Perfect position for him to sit and learn behind Cousins for a year or 2.

Your offense is now set and one of the best in the league on paper.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 2