Pats now have 101 million in cap space - What would you do with that?

Virgil

With the recent release of DB Jackson, the Pats have 101 million in cap space.  That's an absolutely crazy number!  If you were the GM, besides disbanding the team and keeping the money for yourself, what would you do?  The Pats have 54 players under contract for 2024, so they don't exactly have a crazy number of holes to fill.  

For me, I would do the following:

- Since I don't have a QB, I would possibly look into other teams with cap concerns and maybe pull a Brock Osweiler trade to take on some salary cap, and acquire picks.  The Pats already have the #3 overall pick and are in prime position to draft a QB, but more picks for a new Coach and philosophy is always a good thing.

- Spend money in the trenches.  No matter where the Pats go at QB, build up that offensive line and defensive line.  Spend money on FA's with front loaded contracts that pay the majority in the first 3 years.  That way, when it's time to pay your skill players in that time, you will have money again to pay them.

- Get that short term player that can sell tickets.  I think I would go after a Barkley or Henry, even with Stevenson on the team.  I want someone that can put butts in seats while the team finds it's new identity. 

- Check the temperature on Kirk Cousins.  If you want the capacity to win now, Kirk is more than good enough to support a team into the playoffs.  I don't see him leaving Minnesota, but it can't hurt to ask

I know those are all pretty basic ideas, but that's what I got. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

Kirk Cousins, Mike Evans, draft marvin harrison jr, sign best de free agent available, and one of the good vet rbs out there right now probably Saquan. That about spends the money but also puts them in the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 3

I would sign a punter for $101 million guaranteed so I could give the ball back to Josh Allen twice a year. Then I'd cash my fat check from Kraft Mac 'n Cheese & go root for Josh to kick the snot out of us. This, sadly, is probably why I will never be the Patriots GM.

Edited by Donuts and Doritos
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

I'm envious of the cap space - but not of how irrelevant that team is now.

They have to cash in on one of the QB's in the upcoming draft.  If they don't choose wisely, it's another 3-4 years down the tubes.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, dje85 said:

Kirk Cousins, Mike Evans, draft marvin harrison jr, sign best de free agent available, and one of the good vet rbs out there right now probably Saquan. That about spends the money but also puts them in the playoffs. 

If they did that, we’ll I just don’t know… That could be a problem. 

Definite chance to have a completely productive offense next season if they make the right moves. Will be interesting to watch. 

I would fix any holes in the O-line, get one top notch receiver, a RB, draft a QB at 3 and save the rest of the money for next year.  Keep drafting QBs high if needed, wait until you have a franchise QB then go on a massive spending spree.  

1 hour ago, Success said:

I'm envious of the cap space - but not of how irrelevant that team is now.

They have to cash in on one of the QB's in the upcoming draft.  If they don't choose wisely, it's another 3-4 years down the tubes.

Seems a lot more than not these teams with all this cap space don’t have good records during the season.  

I so truly hope they Fuh k this opportunity up in the biggest way possible, maybe it’s just me…,😁👍🍸🚬