NFL Scouting Combine 2024

KingBoots8

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

My honest opinion? This is one of the weakest highlight videos I've ever seen for a supposedly 1st round talent.

First of all nearly half the video is punt returns. Not a good sign when you have to fill time in a highlight video with plays that will be irrelevant when he hits the NFL (unless you are drafting a punt returner in the 1st round).

More importantly every single pass catching highlight is the same. He catches the ball in open space and then zips by the defense at lightning speed. Where are the routes? Where is the shiftiness with the ball in his hands? Where are the catches outside of his frame? Can he find holes in zone? A couple times in these highlights he catches a vertical pass that is a tiny bit out in front of him and he falls to the ground while securing the catch, like a simple soft catch knocked him over.

This looks like a mid-round pick to me. For him to be successful the play has to be set up specifically for him to receive the ball in space because he isn't going to set plays up on his own. The pass will have to be perfect and he'll have to hope the defense takes a bunch of bad angles. I don't see any shiftiness on his tape at all. He actually gets caught from behind more than a couple of times because he doesn't understand how to force bad angles. He's the definition of a straight line player.

If any team takes Worthy in the 1st round it will end as badly as John Ross IMO.

Very true.

Worthy is no Ladd McConkey who is a master of getting open and finding holes in the zone

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I remember "if Kadarius Toney is drafted by the Chiefs it is game over" not just from Bills fans. I heard it in the mainstream media too. Low and behold he ends up there after a trade and royally sucks balls.

I don’t recall much concern here about Toney going to the Chiefs .. but there were a couple of people here who have been very critical of the Bills drafting history over the years, who were very  adamant that the Bills should take him in the first round .,,

Edited by Aussie Joe

15 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2024/03/nfl-combine-2024-buffalo-bills-prospect-meeting-tracker.html

WIDE RECEIVER

Troy Franklin, Oregon (source)

Keon Coleman, FSU (source)

Tez Walker, UNC (source)

Xavier Worthy, Texas (source)

Brian Thomas Jr., LSU (source)

Jalen McMillan, Washington (source)

Adonai Mitchell, Texas (source)

Xavier Legette, South Carolina (source)

Roman Wilson, Michigan (source)

Johnny Wilson, Florida State (source)

Super exciting to me as I see an outside chance that we'd be able to move up to grab WR4, a likely chance we'd be able to land WR5, and an almost definitive chance that we can get WR6 - and every WR I have ranked as WR4-WR7 is on that list 😀

25 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

The Cowboys have Michael Gallup and Brandon Cooks, what else do they need at WR? With Tyron Smith on the outs I've gotta think OT is high on their board. 

Gallup has not been the same player since his ACL tear. Cooks is in the last year of his contract (and probably of his tenure with the Boys). They reached out to NO for him because they knew they were in trouble at WR following the 2022 season. Their receiver room has never been the same since they traded their #1, Amari Cooper, to Cleveland. Big mistake.
OT is certainly a priority but they could certainly benefit greatly by pairing a stud receiver with C.D. Guys like Thomas and Mitchell are the kinds of players Jerry covets. They are like Dez Bryant, only probably better (certainly faster and more athletic/explosive).

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Super exciting to me as I see an outside chance that we'd be able to move up to grab WR4, a likely chance we'd be able to land WR5, and an almost definitive chance that we can get WR6 - and every WR I have ranked as WR4-WR7 is on that list 😀

I'll be honest Mitchell and Legette's speed surprised me a little.  I think it cause Mitchell to move up and out of our reach. Yet Legette, hmmm I mean he seems to breakaway on tape but wonder about his short area quickness to get open but if hel fell to #28 I think I'd take him. 

Of course still high on Cornelius Johnson from Michigan but he likely moved up a round with his combine performance.

2 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Gallup has not been the same player since his ACL tear. Cooks is in the last year of his contract (and probably of his tenure with the Boys). They reached out to NO for him because they knew they were in trouble at WR following the 2022 season. Their receiver room has never been the same since they traded their #1, Amari Cooper, to Cleveland. Big mistake.
OT is certainly a priority but they could certainly benefit greatly by pairing a stud receiver with C.D. Guys like Thomas and Mitchell are the kinds of players Jerry covets. They are like Dez Bryant, only probably better (certainly faster and more athletic/explosive).

True but think Jerry also needs a RB with Pollard likely gone too. WR shouldn't be tops on his list if ask me.

3 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I'll be honest Mitchell and Legette's speed surprised me a little.  I think it cause Mitchell to move up and out of our reach. Yet Legette, hmmm I mean he seems to breakaway on tape but wonder about his short area quickness to get open but if hel fell to #28 I think I'd take him. 

Of course still high on Cornelius Johnson from Michigan but he likely moved up a round with his combine performance.

True but think Jerry also needs a RB with Pollard likely gone too. WR shouldn't be tops on his list if ask me.

Agree receiver is likely not near the top of his list and this is a good draft for O lineman too. I just worry about him falling in love with someone I'd like to see in a Bills uni.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

It's like the Patriots were a few years back in people's minds. 

The funny thing is, the Chiefs traded their top WR, one of the best on the field in the NFL...then went on to win the next 2 Super Bowls. Then they had what looks to be a find with Rice. Who's to say they're even in a huge hurry to stock the position at the top of the draft/huge FA move?

I agree. Rice worked out pretty well for them. It won't deter them from going after a guy they want but I don't think they are focused on taking a specific guy because we want them. 

They're gonna attempt to improve the position regardless of moving up or not. The class is that deep at WR.

I just hope we come away with 2 of them

Side note: not that it really matters for us because he's not a fit - but where was Malachi Corley?

Even if you're dealing with an injury and won't be doing anything on field, you still are at the Combine to meet with teams.

Odd that he wasn't there. Was he simply not invited?

Edited by BillsFanForever19

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

I don't think short area quickness is as much a concern as Bills have Kincaid and Shakir for that.  We need a guy that can get open long, can win contested catches and get yards after catch.  I'm liking Legette's game more and more, especially after the combine.

Edited by richardb1952

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

I didn't know they filled the stadium with fans at the combine.

Nor did I until I actually got an invite to attend. So now I'm wondering if I was being scouted and just blew my chance 😂

47 minutes ago, mrags said:

Don’t think that was fans. Most likely other players watching 

I'm sure there are fans there. I received an email to register to attend. Prior to that I honestly thought it was ezclusivelt a coaches and scouts event

11 minutes ago, Bills aPHILLYate said:

Nor did I until I actually got an invite to attend. So now I'm wondering if I was being scouted and just blew my chance 😂

I'm sure there are fans there. I received an email to register to attend. Prior to that I honestly thought it was ezclusivelt a coaches and scouts event

Should have taken your shot at the 40. 

• Haha (+1) 1

They definitely have fans at the Combine. A friend of my sons was in Indy this weekend for a 7-on-7 tournament, his team got tickets & went for a few hours on Saturday, got to see Worthy's 40 live.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Bills aPHILLYate said:

With the way I tried to type "exclusively" and how that turned out, you would think I had quite a few of them

Just think, with kids saying they don’t believe space is real, planets are real, or birds are real. You’ve got a shot. 

5 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I don’t recall much concern here about Toney going to the Chiefs .. but there were a couple of people here who have been very critical of the Bills drafting history over the years, who were very  adamant that the Bills should take him in the first round .,,

There was definitely some.

4 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Side note: not that it really matters for us because he's not a fit - but where was Malachi Corley?

Even if you're dealing with an injury and won't be doing anything on field, you still are at the Combine to meet with teams.

Odd that he wasn't there. Was he simply not invited?

Corley was invited. I haven't seen any verified reports about why he didn't do anything, but some random people on Twitter were replying to some of the questions about him saying that he caught Covid.

11 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Corley was invited. I haven't seen any verified reports about why he didn't do anything, but some random people on Twitter were replying to some of the questions about him saying that he caught Covid.

I question that Corley is not a fit. He seems like he would be in the new coordinat offense

I want to double dip at wide receiver, and he seems like a good candidate

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I question that Corley is not a fit. He seems like he would be in the new coordinat offense

I want to double dip at wide receiver, and he seems like a good candidate

The issue with Corley is he played pretty much exclusively out of the slot in college and almost all of his production came on screen passes. He has the physical tools to become a good WR but it really requires some projection/faith in coaching staff and even then, he's still almost certainly a slot in the NFL where we have Shakir slotted.

Personally, while upgrading from Gabe is easily the higher priority, I do think we could upgrade from Shakir in this year's draft if we chose to but it isn't a major need for us.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

The issue with Corley is he played pretty much exclusively out of the slot in college and almost all of his production came on screen passes. He has the physical tools to become a good WR but it really requires some projection/faith in coaching staff and even then, he's still almost certainly a slot in the NFL where we have Shakir slotted.

Personally, while upgrading from Gabe is easily the higher priority, I do think we could upgrade from Shakir in this year's draft if we chose to but it isn't a major need for us.

didn't Shakir have the #1 success rate among all WR's in the league when targeted?   The dude was a stud in the playoffs. His acrobatic play for the TD against PIT then an insane catch for a TD against KC.  Would have had a 2nd TD if Dion Dawkins blocked another half second 

28 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

didn't Shakir have the #1 success rate among all WR's in the league when targeted?   The dude was a stud in the playoffs. His acrobatic play for the TD against PIT then an insane catch for a TD against KC.  Would have had a 2nd TD if Dion Dawkins blocked another half second 

Shakir was good this season, no doubt. He didn't do much against man coverage though; his target rate against man was extremely low and he wasn't very productive when he was targeted. I think most of the slot guys that are projected to go in the first two days and a few day 3 guys of the draft project better against man coverage than Shakir currently is/Shakir projected in college.

Shakir dominated against zone coverage this year, which is obviously still very valuable but we have a need for guys that can beat man coverage and that can come both out wide or in the slot.

Edit: I would add, Ladd McConkey's college metrics are very similar to Shakir's metrics this season. McConkey was #3 in the class in Targets/Pass Play and #2 in Yards/Route Run against zone, but #38 and #19 in those two metrics against man. Guys that shined in both of those metrics against man coverage and are likely slots in the NFL: Malik Nabers (could play anywhere but he obviously is out of reach barring a gigantic trade), Malachi Corley, Joshua Cephus, Malik Washington, Anthony Gould, Roman Wilson, and if we focus on 2022 instead of 2023, you could add Jacob Cowing and Jalen McMillan to the list as well.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Shakir was good this season, no doubt. He didn't do much against man coverage though; his target rate against man was extremely low and he wasn't very productive when he was targeted. I think most of the slot guys that are projected to go in the first two days and a few day 3 guys of the draft project better against man coverage than Shakir currently is/Shakir projected in college.

Shakir dominated against zone coverage this year, which is obviously still very valuable but we have a need for guys that can beat man coverage and that can come both out wide or in the slot.

Yeah people see a player like Shakir or Bernard emerge who had underwhelmed prior and just assume those players are studs now.    Fans need to learn from the past.

Lot's of players have one successful season or a brief run where they look tremendous...........and then fall off dramatically for various reasons.   Shakir showed a lot of promise but competition and depth at slot can only help........and this is a good draft to find some.   Same goes for a guy like Torrence for me.   I am sure a lot of people assume it's just up and up for him now but they assumed the same with Spencer Brown and then were trying to run him out of town when he took a step back in year 2.   Maybe the best OL draft of the 2000's........so  it would be foolish to not select any just because you think you are set because Torrence had a decent rookie season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah people see a player like Shakir or Bernard emerge who had underwhelmed prior and just assume those players are studs now.    Fans need to learn from the past.

Lot's of players have one successful season or a brief run where they look tremendous...........and then fall off dramatically for various reasons.   Shakir showed a lot of promise but competition and depth at slot can only help........and this is a good draft to find some.   Same goes for a guy like Torrence for me.   I am sure a lot of people assume it's just up and up for him now but they assumed the same with Spencer Brown and then were trying to run him out of town when he took a step back in year 2.   Maybe the best OL draft of the 2000's........so  it would be foolish to not select any just because you think you are set because Torrence had a decent rookie season.

I think they should be open to OL all the way through. Even if they keep Morse this year, looking to 2025 he is surely gone. So that brings IOL into play (McGovern could slide to center if you draft a guard or stay where he is if you draft a center) and avoids the situation we are in with safety now where your vet ages out and the cupboard is bare in terms of in house options. At OT Dion had an excellent season in 2023 but you and I have talked many times about his body type gets harder to manage with every passing year as he hits his 30s. Brown is a UFA after the season. I suspect they are leaning towards an extension but it would be nice to have a young tackle in the building as insurance for that not working out.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think they should be open to OL all the way through. Even if they keep Morse this year, looking to 2025 he is surely gone. So that brings IOL into play (McGovern could slide to center if you draft a guard or stay where he is if you draft a center) and avoids the situation we are in with safety now where your vet ages out and the cupboard is bare in terms of in house options. At OT Dion had an excellent season in 2023 but you and I have talked many times about his body type gets harder to manage with every passing year as he hits his 30s. Brown is a UFA after the season. I suspect they are leaning towards an extension but it would be nice to have a young tackle in the building as insurance for that not working out.

Like cornerback, we should take an offensive lineman every year

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

31 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Depth yes.  I find it difficult to justify on either day 1 or 2.  Too many immediate needs over Cb and Oline need addressed.  Now a Cb with saftey/nickle versatility I would understand because saftey is very thin in numbers and answers past 24.   

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Payton Wilson!! Will he be there at the Bills pick in the 3rd? He has the size and football temperament I'd like to see added to this roster. His athleticism is off the charts. He's played a lot of football. Milano's heir apparent? 

Love him. He's an animal. I don't think they do it though. 

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Edit: I would add, Ladd McConkey's college metrics are very similar to Shakir's metrics this season. McConkey was #3 in the class in Targets/Pass Play and #2 in Yards/Route Run against zone, but #38 and #19 in those two metrics against man. Guys that shined in both of those metrics against man coverage and are likely slots in the NFL: Malik Nabers (could play anywhere but he obviously is out of reach barring a gigantic trade), Malachi Corley, Joshua Cephus, Malik Washington, Anthony Gould, Roman Wilson, and if we focus on 2022 instead of 2023, you could add Jacob Cowing and Jalen McMillan to the list as well.

this and his wiggle and how hard he drives to get yards makes me think a lot of prime beez when i watch shakir.  beez also got wiped by good man coverage.

i think we need a man killer, big fast w hands.  route running is a good plus, but i want a dk metcalf type who can run 3 or 4 total routes but still open things up and put the fear of god into the d.  if dbs have to turn and run vs josh, he can hit someone about a mile away, and can run w the best of them too.

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yeah regarding offensive line in this draft.........needs change FAST.

I often cite that 2014 draft where the Bills passed on Aaron Donald.   I couldn't find a soul on TSW interested in Donald because the Bills had a DL of Mario/Dareus/KW/Hughes so it wasn't an immediate need.   The "Cold Front" turned out to be a brief bluster and in the 2016 draft the DL was the #1 need of the team.

6 hours ago, colin said:

this and his wiggle and how hard he drives to get yards makes me think a lot of prime beez when i watch shakir.  beez also got wiped by good man coverage.

i think we need a man killer, big fast w hands.  route running is a good plus, but i want a dk metcalf type who can run 3 or 4 total routes but still open things up and put the fear of god into the d.  if dbs have to turn and run vs josh, he can hit someone about a mile away, and can run w the best of them too.

Xavier Leggette is as close to Metcalf you'll see although some say his RAS is more Andre Johnson but he just doesn't have college production. Yet think he favorably compares to Eric Moulds too.

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Some would argue to draft a QB every draft too as if unearth a diamond in rubble could turn it into valuable draft picks. Ron Wolf had great success doing so in Green Bay.