Pit Bulls are so cuddly!!! Breed more of them.

BringBackFergy

On 2/26/2024 at 10:11 AM, Chicken Boo said:

"They should all be destroyed." - Robert Muldoon

They're banned in the county where I live, yet they're all you see.  I take a machete with me whenever I'm outside with my kids, as I won't chance a thing.  

I don't dislike dogs, but I never worry having my kids around our 3 cats.  

I decided to go with cats too. I'll be just fine!

image.png.c0c80ccb7876ff4bdb6b665396ff1123.png

• Haha (+1) 1

On 2/25/2024 at 8:45 PM, Goin Breakdown said:

I remember the AKC at one point and maybe it's still this way, but they had pit bulls rated higher than Goldens as far as well temperament. 

image.thumb.png.e16a3d9798741d6d5e2c6e4b36b3e353.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I find this topic interesting as I have had a bunch of different types of dogs (never a pit, my friends have had a bunch of pits that I have been around) and havent decided yet.

My experience is I grew up with or have/had several great danes, golden retrievers, a westie, a mini schnauzer and an olde english bull dog (a bull dog and boxer mix, basically trying to breed them back to have less recessive traits like the smushed in face etc.)

My wife's family bred shepherds and boxers when she was growing up. She is in the anti pit bull side and has stories about how agressive one of her shepherds got (basically broke through a window on the second floor and jumped off the garage roof to attack someone and got hurt). She is of the belief that you cant control when something snaps/instinct takes over and the dog does what it was bred to do. 

None of the pitts I have been around were ever aggressive or anything more than loving when I was around them. They were super friendly.

Right now, I think my stance is people can own what they want, however they have to be responsible for whatever their dog does in my opinion. Not sure what the laws are or if they vary state by state. 

Edited by Bray Wyatt
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I find this topic interesting as I have had a bunch of different types of dogs (never a pit, my friends have had a bunch of pits that I have been around) and havent decided yet.

My experience is I grew up with or have/had several great danes, golden retrievers, a westie, a mini schnauzer and an olde english bull dog (a bull dog and boxer mix, basically trying to breed them back to have less recessive traits like the smushed in face etc.)

My wife's family bred shepherds and boxers when she was growing up. She is in the anti pit bull side and has stories about how agressive one of her shepherds got (basically broke through a window on the second floor and jumped off the garage roof to attack someone and got hurt). She is of the belief that you cant control when something snaps/instinct takes over and the dog does what it was bred to do. 

None of the pitts I have been around were ever aggressive or anything more than loving when I was around them. They were super friendly.

Right now, I think my stance is people can own what they want, however they have to be responsible for whatever their dog does in my opinion. Not sure what the laws are or if they vary state by state. 

An awesome, well thought out post. Didn’t demand closing thread. Didn’t scold anti-pit posters. Thank you. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I just chuckled. I’m sitting here in my recliner watching TV and the two Goldens start getting into it by my side. Some people might have thought it was scary sounding, but they are all noise when they are like that. Without even looking down I just waived my right hand between the their mouths. They both snuck in a lick on my hand and the room went silent. 

Then I picked up my iPad and saw this. 

18 hours ago, Augie said:

I just chuckled. I’m sitting here in my recliner watching TV and the two Goldens start getting into it by my side. Some people might have thought it was scary sounding, but they are all noise when they are like that. Without even looking down I just waived my right hand between the their mouths. They both snuck in a lick on my hand and the room went silent. 

Then I picked up my iPad and saw this. 

I had a woman at the dog park freaking out on me because my pit was making that growling sound.  She like freaked out on me.

I told her I will call my dog off but your dog is loving this type of play and the one instigating it.  I called my dog, she came towards me and the other dog followed and the owner was still was freaking out on me.  Her dog liked to go on her back and my dog on top to wrestle.  I was trying to tell her her dog is really enjoying this and they are playing very well and I won't be able to keep them separate if her dog keeps coming towards mine.

She eventually picked her dog up and left cussing at me under her breath.  

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I had a woman at the dog park freaking out on me because my pit was making that growling sound.  She like freaked out on me.

I told her I will call my dog off but your dog is loving this type of play and the one instigating it.  I called my dog, she came towards me and the other dog followed and the owner was still was freaking out on me.  Her dog liked to go on her back and my dog on top to wrestle.  I was trying to tell her her dog is really enjoying this and they are playing very well and I won't be able to keep them separate if her dog keeps coming towards mine.

She eventually picked her dog up and left cussing at me under her breath.  

I’ll be honest, I haven’t taken my dogs to a dog park in about a decade. I know what playing looks and sounds like, but we had some other experiences that made me very uncomfortable.  We take our dogs to our son’s big, fenced backyard to play with his dog and the neighbor dog. That works for us. 

I don’t trust all the other dogs or owners.  I’ve seen trouble breaks out and the aggressive dog’s owner is nowhere in sight. I actually used to be a guy who would pretend I didn’t know my dog at the park. It was Cassie that we got from a backyard breeder. She had…..”quirks”. Among the quirks was a tendency to foam and drool like Niagara Falls when she got excited at the park. The drool would hang down on both sides almost to the ground, then she would run up to a picnic table full of people to say hello and SHAKE!   People would scream! “F%^$! Whose dog IS that?”  I’d just look around like I had no idea. It’s true, all dogs can be dangerous. 

On 2/28/2024 at 1:22 PM, TBBills Fan said:

I've had many breeds in my 45 years, and pit/mutt mixes from the pound are the most loving, affectionate and loyal dogs I've ever had

On 2/28/2024 at 3:02 PM, gomper said:

We rescued a pit/Boston terrier mix. He's just a big baby and the biggest sweetheart you'll ever encounter.  Horrible owners are the problem. 

My ex wife for some reason got in in her head that I needed a dog, ignoring the fact I was typically on the road M-F and she would be the one to take care of it.  We ended up with a pit mix (I forgot the official breed name they said it was) from the local Humane Society.  First time we took it to my parents house, my nephews were there visiting, I believe both were less than 10 years old.  The older of the two runs right up to the dog, grabs both sides of it's face, and I'll tell you, I had a moment of panic because this was the first child that I knew was interacting with the dog.  Thankfully it did not do anything but start licking my nephews face.  We ended up taking the dog back within a few weeks, because like I said, with me on the road, and my ex's medical issues, she realized she could not take care of it properly.  We did recommend to the shelter they look for a family with kids that can play with it for the next owner.  Later that year, the shelter send out a "year end" newsletter.  In that newsletter was a picture of the dog we had with their new family, so I'm glad it did get adopted.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

https://www.dogbitelaw.com/vicious-dogs/pit-bulls-facts-and-figures/#:~:text=In 2021%2C of the 51,member of the owner's family.

Pit bulls are the No. 1 canine killers of women and girls, killing more than half of the females killed by a dog.

Pit bulls are the No. 1 canine killers of children, killing more than half of the children killed by a dog.

Pit bulls are the No. 1 canine killers of other people’s pets and animals, killing more than 75% of those killed by a dog.

The statistics don’t lie. 

• Vomit 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

https://www.dogbitelaw.com/vicious-dogs/pit-bulls-facts-and-figures/#:~:text=In 2021%2C of the 51,member of the owner's family.

Pit bulls are the No. 1 canine killers of women and girls, killing more than half of the females killed by a dog.

Pit bulls are the No. 1 canine killers of children, killing more than half of the children killed by a dog.

Pit bulls are the No. 1 canine killers of other people’s pets and animals, killing more than 75% of those killed by a dog.

The statistics don’t lie. 

LOL

An Attorney's website is DogBiteLaw.com and I can't believe believe he has stats slanted a certain way....shocking.

13 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

LOL

An Attorney's website is DogBiteLaw.com and I can't believe believe he has stats slanted a certain way....shocking.

You’re really not shocked. 

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I tell you what I am shocked about and that is Kurt Loder is 78 years old.

That makes me feel really old. Dick. 

On 2/27/2024 at 11:55 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

We domesticated dogs for our defense and to help hunt and kill prey.   Not for cuddling.   They've become wonderful pets but people just need to understand the caliber of weapon they are exposing others too.   Which is largely dependent on the breed.   If you want to own more potentially dangerous dogs keep them under lock and key and if they get out and hurt someone understand that it's the same as you hurting that person and you should expect to be prosecuted accordingly. 

The above says it all imo. 

Yes, I have seen gentle pit bulls. In fact, one of THE nicest dogs I ever saw was a Pit/Rotweiller mix. He was black and white and weighed WELL OVER 100 pounds, perhaps 150. He was staring at me in an outdoor, upstate brewery. I asked the owners if he was going to attack me and she said, "no, he wants to kss you." I had a few IPAs in me and called him over. He was just SO friendly. The owners told me that he wouldn't even protect their house and that he loves everybody. I believed them.

The thing is, this dog had a head the size of an engine block. He could have fit my thigh in his mouth. So, as you say; owners with dogs this size should be held fully accountable if God forbid the dog has a bad day.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

LOL

We need more stats from www.pittiesarecuddly.com

• Like (+1) 1

if there is one thing I have learned from this thread is there are people who would prefer my dog dead because she happens to be a purebred American Staffordshire terrier. I could draw comparisons with she having a golden retrievers temperament. Meaning extremely non reactive to much of anything except pets and her food dish. Oh and leashes for her walkie walkies. SWEETEST Dog you will ever meet. Gentle even. I call her my canine Xanax.

I would hope that all you pittie haters would cross the street when you see one. Because the owners of said pitbulls want you nowhere near our dogs. You stink of hate.

I'm protecting my dog from YOU.

Edited by muppy
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, muppy said:

if there is one thing I have learned from this thread is there are people who would prefer my dog dead because she happens to be a purebred American Staffordshire terrier. I could draw comparisons with she having a golden retrievers temperament. Meaning extremely non reactive to much of anything except pets and her food dish. Oh and leashes for her walkie walkies. SWEETEST Dog you will ever meet. Gentle even. I call her my canine Xanax.

I would hope that all you pittie haters would cross the street when you see one. Because the owners of said pitbulls want you nowhere near our dogs. You stink of hate.

I'm protecting my dog from YOU.

Let’s see some links to people saying they want pitbulls to be killed. 

I don’t recall anyone saying that in this thread. 

14 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Let’s see some links to people saying they want pitbulls to be killed. 

I don’t recall anyone saying that in this thread. 

you seek to end the breed. Hence no killing involved with that RIGHT. okie dokie gugny. I expect that you would shed zero tears in any case. less risk to the public TCK

you are arguing behind a technicality that no pitbull eradication squads have been formed. lol

whatever.

10 minutes ago, muppy said:

you seek to end the breed. Hence no killing involved with that RIGHT. okie dokie gugny. I expect that you would shed zero tears in any case. less risk to the public TCK

you are arguing behind a technicality that no pitbull eradication squads have been formed. lol

whatever.

I’m calling to make it illegal to breed them. 

No one is asking anyone to kill any dogs. 

Get an el grippo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

owning a bully breed is a responsibility that some owners don't realize and aren't willing to spend the time to socialize or do right by these dogs. They are commodity to too many unscrupulous people.

Backstory warning  🙂

so I receive a call from one of my contacts in rescue who said 2 dogs were being driven from Coachella to San Diego for rescue. I took the female and she took the male who was her son.  Neither dog ever left the rescue. I foster failed and so did she.  SO they decide to do a DNA test on the son. It comes back he is a purebred Staffordshire terrier 3 generations PURE BLOODLINE .

so my pumpkin is also purebred. She was a breeder dog some dude used and eventually she ended up at this shelter in Coachella. I thank God for her every single day.

with that, arrive derci. au revoir sayonara.

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I’m calling to make it illegal to breed them. 

No one is asking anyone to kill any dogs. 

Get an el grippo.

agreed. It's a sensitive issue. 

I'm proud to have my American Staffordshire Terrier. @muppy and I know they are wonderful dogs. Ending the breeding of them is stupid and a mistake. I have been attacked and blood has been drawn by a former roommate's Chihuahua, never from my own dog and my sister's purebred pitties. 

And those that disagree with Muppy and me, you're being racist. Racism is the demeaning of another based solely on their race/breed. 

• Haha (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Draconator said:

I'm proud to have my American Staffordshire Terrier. @muppy and I know they are wonderful dogs. Ending the breeding of them is stupid and a mistake. I have been attacked and blood has been drawn by a former roommate's Chihuahua, never from my own dog and my sister's purebred pitties. 

And those that disagree with Muppy and me, you're being racist. Racism is the demeaning of another based solely on their race/breed. 

for conversation sake Draconator I am out of rescue.  It was a lot of work because I took the responsibiliity very seriously. I already have to be careful of falling and the strong pullers I just can't. anymore.

the dangerous ones clearly exist and it gives me shudder and HIGH anxiety because I know its the prevalent thought. For reasons stated and inferred. 

the fact of both pumpkin and bucky being pure was something NO ONE expected. Total shock like WHUT kind of surprise

that's it for me. gracias.

Edited by muppy

1 hour ago, Draconator said:

WTH???

19 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

WTH???

I want nothing to do with this racism reference.  It is a loaded word and not my thinking in this regard. 

• Agree 1

Oh yeah?!??  Neil Peart was overrated!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

How many people died last year in chihuahua attacks? There is a reason why guns are regulated and not bananas despite the fact that a banana can and has been used as a weapon at least once.

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

How many people died last year in chihuahua attacks? There is a reason why guns are regulated and not bananas despite the fact that a banana can and has been used as a weapon at least once.

It not the breed. It's the owner. But the same thing can be said about gun control.

Just now, Draconator said:

It not the breed. It's the owner. But the same thing can be said about gun control.

It is the breed.  One breed is capable of killing a human being and the other isn't.  This is the heart of the discussion. Chihuahua and toy poodle attack discussion is just obfuscation. 

20 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

It is the breed.  One breed is capable of killing a human being and the other isn't.  This is the heart of the discussion. Chihuahua and toy poodle attack discussion is just obfuscation. 

What if the chihuahua has rabies or some other disease, and their bite to a human can be fatal over a period of time? All dog breeds are capable of death.

• Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Draconator said:

What if the chihuahua has rabies or some other disease, and their bite to a human can be fatal over a period of time? All dog breeds are capable of death.

What if you have rabies and you bite yourself?

• Haha (+1) 3

A friend and his family adopted a shelter pit bull mix. Friendly, happy dog. That's what they said. So as a dog lover I started petting him in a normal way and two of them in unison say something like, "I wouldn't do that." He'd bit the last person who did the same thing. No serious injury, but drew blood. (They no longer have the dog.)

My question: why don't people file down their teeth? After all, a lot of dogs nip and even bite. The problem is the "pittie" (kind of an attempt to cutify them) can seriously hurt or kill you when they do it. When I suggested this, people acted like I was Dr. Mengele. But really ... why not go all Hermie in Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer on them, de-toothifying the Abominable Snowman? Isn't a live/happy/relatively harmless pittie better than no pittie at all?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

A friend and his family adopted a shelter pit bull mix. Friendly, happy dog. That's what they said. So as a dog lover I started petting him in a normal way and two of them in unison say something like, "I wouldn't do that." He'd bit the last person who did the same thing. No serious injury, but drew blood. (They no longer have the dog.)

My question: why don't people file down their teeth? After all, a lot of dogs nip and even bite. The problem is the "pittie" (kind of an attempt to cutify them) can seriously hurt or kill you when they do it. When I suggested this, people acted like I was Dr. Mengele. But really ... why not go all Hermie in Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer on them, de-toothifying the Abominable Snowman? Isn't a live/happy/relatively harmless pittie better than no pittie at all?

The capability to murder is part of the fetish charm.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2