Is Terry McLaurin a possible target?

FireChans

12 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Anything is possible. It's physically possible someone offers us 7 1st Round Picks for Josh Allen.

But the thing that has me riled up about Diggs is post after post after post around here, often from the same people, talking about it like it's extremely realistic - when it's simply not.

I'm guilty of being annoyed by unrealistic talk and wanting to stay grounded in Offseason talk. In the shape we're in this season, financially and roster wise, it makes no sense to move him.

If, as you say, there's no difference in saving between moving him later this offseason and moving him next offseason - what sense does it make to not have him here this year after we pay him 18.5m guaranteed vs. having him, moving on from him next year before more guarantees come in, and saving the same amount?

Especially when we'll be replacing half of the WR core as is? Why would we choose to replace not 1, but both starters and create a scenario where Josh has just 1 WR on the roster (Shakir) that he's ever thrown a pass to - and hand over 18.5m in guarantees to do so?

I don’t think it’s likely but there is a difference in waiting 

moved this year: $0 cash spent $31m cap hits

moved next year: $19m cash spent, $50m in cap hits absorbed 

ultimately, if given the choice of vet band aids, do we like diggs on a 1 year 19m deal, or do you prefer a guy in the “Hopkins” realm of options, or mike evans if throwing a real name

the sunk cost is the sunk cost, right? So do you pay him 19m for 1 year, or do you get creative with accounting tools to find an alternate to that? A little less concrete in the opinion there, but imagine it’s likely they stay put unless the drama behind the scenes is truly taxing or there’s worry about whatever caused the dip in production

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, FireChans said:

I find that spotrac is the most accurate website IRT cap intricacies and they say the numbers are absolutely clear that we can move off from Diggs this year and make financial sense doing so. 

His salary becoming completely guaranteed on 3/17 is actually noted on their website.

Prior to 3/17, we lose 3M against the cap to cut him.

After 3/17, we lose 21M to cut him. 

After 6/1, we save 19M in 2024 to cut him. 

Post 6/1 releases effectively spread the dead cap over two seasons, which is why it’s more affordable, however it means you are still taking on the same hit in the next year, i.e. the 2025 hit remains the same regardless if he is cut post 6/1 in 2024 or early in 2025. So anyone saying it makes sense to do it in 2025 but not post 6/1 2024 is 100% completely wrong, because the cap savings in 2025 are the same 

So, unfortunately, 3/17 ain’t gonna change anything lol.

3/17 isn’t gonna change anything because the neither the Bills or Diggs wants a trade.  So unless something major happens behind the scenes, Diggs is gonna be a Bill in 2024.  

Not to mention this team can’t afford to take the dead cap hits regardless when the dead cap hits.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

Not sure how feasible it would be, but I'd take him over any of the options being thrown around. Considering the QBs he's had throwing to him, his numbers are even more impressive. 

Reminds me of what Eric Moulds was able to do despite the inconsistency surrounding him. 

5 hours ago, Sweats said:

The Diggs trade was terrible.

I mean, sure we got a quality WR who's definitely one of the best at the position, however, when you consider that we traded our pick to Minnesota to get Diggs, we also gave up the chance to draft Justin Jefferson, who Minnie selected with OUR pick, i might add.

You give me the option of Diggs or Jefferson and i know who i'm picking alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll day long......and it ain't Diggs.

Sorry.......not sorry.

Why thank you, sir.....i didn't even know i was in the running.

Hindsight is 20-20.  Had the Bills known that Jefferson would be available and would be putting up video game numbers, of course they would have kept the pick and drafted Jefferson. But they didn't know that (and neither did any of us posting on a team chat board) and they made the trade.  Diggs was a huge part of changing the Bills culture and becoming one of the top teams in the league.  He was also a key player in Josh Allen's ascension to becoming one of the top QBs in the league.  So, the trade was definitely not terrible.  It was a trade that greatly benefitted both teams.  It's also possible that the veteran leadership provided by Diggs may have lacked if they had a rookie in that role, and the team may not have been as successful as it has been.

Going forward, Diggs may not be a big part of the Bills plays (although he's likely in the mix one more year) and Jefferson may be in line for a $30+M payday.  The Bills are going to need to find the next Diggs or Jefferson in the draft.

To the OP, although I'm not an Ohio State fan, I like McLaurin a lot and would love to see him in a Bills uniform for 1 or 2 seasons, before age catches up with him, but it's not likely realistic from a cap perspective.  He's an excellent receiver and is underrated because he's on a team that's been bad and dysfunctional for a long time.  Imagine his numbers if he played with a QB like Josh Allen....

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1

Not a bad idea on McLaurin. But I see a #1 pick this year on a WR, lots of reps for a rookie, not like McD, to move into top WR on 2025 if the Bills move on from Diggs. I'm worried about Diggs in 2024 cause he had 13 week streak where he really underperformed. That's a big sampling, if he's indeed slowing

3 hours ago, Sweats said:

The Diggs trade was terrible.

I mean, sure we got a quality WR who's definitely one of the best at the position, however, when you consider that we traded our pick to Minnesota to get Diggs, we also gave up the chance to draft Justin Jefferson, who Minnie selected with OUR pick, i might add.

You give me the option of Diggs or Jefferson and i know who i'm picking alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll day long......and it ain't Diggs.

Sorry.......not sorry.

Why thank you, sir.....i didn't even know i was in the running.

I wouldn’t call the bolded “terrible.” 

Terrible would be like Diggs turned out to be Zay Jones with less fighting for Jesus.

8 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Has WTF given any signs they want to move on from him? They have an opt out clause for 2025, but that’s it.

They release him this year they save 5m, but eat 29.

Makes no sense to move on. 

You give them reasons to move on. In the form of compensation. In a trade.

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I wouldn’t call the bolded “terrible.” 

Terrible would be like Diggs turned out to be Zay Jones with less fighting for Jesus.

You give them reasons to move on. In the form of compensation. In a trade.

Sounds like a great way to lose a trade. 

Not to mention, he has a 2024 cap hit of 24 million dollars, and is 20+ next year as well

I’d love to see it happen, I just see no realistic, plausible way that it does. Bills would need to clear 70+ in cap JUST to add him. 

19 hours ago, FireChans said:

We talk a lot about DHop, about Evans, about all these older dudes.

Let’s talk about some younger WR’s who have to be sick wasting their careers away. 

Terry will be 29 years old in the upcoming season. He is entering the last year of his “big” contract before the potential out. And he is an “old guard” player with new and shiny head coach Dan Quinn taking the reins. 

If traded pre 6/1, he will have a cap hit of $7M to his new team, which is relatively cheap. With Stef on his way out potentially next year, this sets Josh up with an “in his prime” WR ready to take over as WR1. 

Stef could also be included in the package, but then we would be talking post 6/1 otherwise the financials get wonky. 

Is he intriguing? Is he an upgrade over $10M AAV for a Mooney or Curtis Samuel? His price tag may be as high as a first or a second and other stuff.

He was always a guy that I thought would be the perfect 1A type. He’s just a good player and leader. If you could make the draft compensation work it would make sense for a lot of reasons. You still need to draft at least 1 cost controlled guy but McLaurin would be a great piece (especially if you could get him for a 3rd or a 4/5 + Elam). 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

He was always a guy that I thought would be the perfect 1A type. He’s just a good player and leader. If you could make the draft compensation work it would make sense for a lot of reasons. You still need to draft at least 1 cost controlled guy but McLaurin would be a great piece (especially if you could get him for a 3rd or a 4/5 + Elam). 

Finally, someone recognizes genius.

• Haha (+1) 1

I disagree with the idea of "Diggs is out the door" but seriously, if the plan for free agency is "I want to have zero slot where we'd have to force a rookie into so we take BPA" I don't hate it. My issue is what we'd have to give up. I wouldn't shell out anything higher than a 4th.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, FireChans said:

Let’s talk about some younger WR’s who have to be sick wasting their careers away. 

Terry will be 29 years old in the upcoming season. He is entering the last year of his “big” contract before the potential out. And he is an “old guard” player with new and shiny head coach Dan Quinn taking the reins. 

If traded pre 6/1, he will have a cap hit of $7M to his new team, which is relatively cheap. With Stef on his way out potentially next year, this sets Josh up with an “in his prime” WR ready to take over as WR1. 

Stef could also be included in the package, but then we would be talking post 6/1 otherwise the financials get wonky. 

Is he intriguing? Is he an upgrade over $10M AAV for a Mooney or Curtis Samuel? His price tag may be as high as a first or a second and other stuff.

Unless he's gonna cost a late Rd pk I'm out on that. To many really good Wrs in this draft let's find some really good cheap labor players. 

On 2/20/2024 at 2:40 PM, strive_for_five_guy said:

Draft young, faster and cheaper WRs.  29 this year will be 30 by next, and isn’t that part of the concern with Diggs?  I don’t like the idea of wasting money on any FA WRs this offseason.  Shore up other positions as much as possible before the draft, otherwise round out the squad during the draft.

Totally agree....if he was a couple years younger maybe, but averaging 5tds/ season hardly screams someone Josh deserves.  Terry's catch rate of 62% is a little low too.  I'd rather draft 2 young guys and hope one becomes the WR1 stud to replace Diggs. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/20/2024 at 5:19 PM, FireChans said:

I hope so. I’ve always been a fan of his game. He’s got tremendous RAC ability which would be a breath of fresh air on this offense. Love the physicality he plays with. 

15 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Totally agree....if he was a couple years younger maybe, but averaging 5tds/ season hardly screams someone Josh deserves.  Terry's catch rate of 62% is a little low too.  I'd rather draft 2 young guys and hope one becomes the WR1 stud to replace Diggs. 

Well, looks who’s been throwing him the ball. 

On 2/20/2024 at 6:10 PM, BarleyNY said:

I agree with your assessment of McLauren. While he’d be a great addition here I don’t see why Washington would trade him. Why would they trade away their best WR the same offseason they draft a QB with the second overall pick? They’ve currently got the most cap space in the league to boot. Makes no sense from their POV. 

I live in the dc area and the skins aren't letting mclaurin get away thats for sure

• Agree 1

On 2/20/2024 at 8:34 PM, BuffaloBillyG said:

The Diggs trade is an interesting question. Was it smart? I suppose it would depend on a few variables to know for certain. First off, how would that pick have been spent? If it would have played out the way the draft did and we end up with Justin Jefferson on 5 years of cost controlled rookie contract...a case could be made.  Also, what deems the trade that did happen a success? We have won a few AFCE titles. But that's not the goal. 

A lot of it depends on the life cycle of the team.  At the time of the Diggs trade we had a QB that needed a true number one to develop and Diggs's contract at the time was favorable for an established #1 WR.  Our offense went from 23rd overall to 2nd overall.  If the Eagles take Jefferson and the Vikings take Reagor in that draft it would be looked at as a steal.  The Titans look like fools for trading AJ Brown and drafting Treylon Burks.  It pry cost the GM and head coach their jobs.  We didn't win the Super Bowl since the trade but having the second most wins in the NFL along with four straight division titles since then is nothing to sneeze at.

Our life cycle now is taking swings at WR in the draft because we have to get younger and cheaper at all positions now that Allen is taking up about 15 to 20% of the cap every year.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.