Is Terry McLaurin a possible target?

FireChans

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

You keep using cap numbers for specific years to attempt to get us to look away from the obvious disaster this move would be.

So let me focus you, and anyone bothering to read, on the dumb move you're suggesting. Answer this simple question.

If Stefon Digg is still on the roster after 3/17, his salary will guarantee. Once his salary guarantees, if they cut him at the time you're suggesting, will that guaranteed money hit the Bills salary cap as dead cap or not? I'm not asking about the year. I'm asking if he's cut, will it or will it not hit our dead cap total?

Because unless you want to argue that it will disappear and never hit the Bills cap, you are saying you think it is a move the Bills should consider to add $18.5M to the cap for two things, first the right to watch Stef NOT play for the Bills and second the ability to move some cap money from the 2023 cap to later cap years.

And the thing is, they can move money from 2023 to later cap years in other ways - restructures and other such vastly more sensible options - without adding $18.5M to their cap without even seeing a guy play for us in exchange for accepting the dead cap hit.

Oh, and I fully understand the word brazen.

One really good example of brazen behavior would be a guy arguing that his guess about something - what Spotrac precisely means by "Potential Out," for instance - must be a fact even though he hasn't checked it because it fits his narrative and he's spent a bunch of time on a website ... though, he has again NOT checked his facts. That's shameless behavior, and thus brazen. Of course, brazen people often don't recognize that they're being shameless. In fact, that's a symptom.

The brazen guy would next never back down. He's keep right on arguing that he must be right even without proof, because he thinks it's so.

But again, if Diggs' contract is guaranteed and he's then cut, post 6/1 or not, will that guaranteed salary hit the Bills dead cap? And again, don't try the whole "well, this year is this and this year is that" nonsense. Will it have to be accounted for on the cap or not if he's cut?

If the Bills were to cut Diggs realistically it would have to be before 3/17 and very likely with a 6/1 designation. That’s because his guaranteed salary would still hit the cap as dead money.

Diggs is much more likely a trade candidate. I’ve read that 6/1 designations may be used for trades as well as cuts. Each team gets 2 per year. So that is another possibility for a Diggs deal. 

51 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

If the Bills were to cut Diggs realistically it would have to be before 3/17 and very likely with a 6/1 designation. That’s because his guaranteed salary would still hit the cap as dead money.

Diggs is much more likely a trade candidate. I’ve read that 6/1 designations may be used for trades as well as cuts. Each team gets 2 per year. So that is another possibility for a Diggs deal. 

The extra 13 million added to the cap makes it easier to move him IF the Bills wanted to do so.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Yes, agreed.

A trade is still not likely, IMO, but far more likely than cutting him.

Agreed also that if cut it would absolutely be before the salary guarantees.

Thoughtful. I appreciate it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/20/2024 at 5:29 PM, billsbackto81 said:

McLaurin would be an awesome addition to our WR room. Probably the most underrated and under appreciated receiver in the league. Not sure the numbers would work but anything is possible I guess.

Right alongside Davis 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.