WR or Dlineman? What would be your main priority..

My preference would be to pick a WR if the value is there. 

I looked up where Pro-bowl WRs were picked in the past 10 years. 

Of the 33 WRs who made initial PB roster in the past 10 years.

Round 1 - 42.7%

Round 2&3 - 36.4%

Round 4+ - 21.2%

There is hope if McD cant help himself and draft DL. 

Edited by nedboy7
  • Like (+1) 2

Wtf.

This regime has wasted so much time, draft capital and money trying to put together the defensive line over the last 5/6 years while not drafting any top talent wrs for Allen;  and now the dline needs another makeover.....

Wizards 🧙‍♂️

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/14/2024 at 1:09 AM, Utah John said:

If there's a really good safety available when they pick in R1, that's the guy.  There are enough good WRs in this draft to meet the Bills needs in other rounds.  The Bills are playing with fire, not getting Hyde/Poyer replacements in place and familiar with the system already.

If the Bills really want another D lineman, I'm guessing Boogie Basham will be available. Oh, you say that's a bad idea?  Well how about throwing another high draft pick D lineman out there and expecting something more than Boogie brought.  That's what Beane would be doing. 

And that's a pretty lousy history.  He'll be better off getting a FA or two.  

A first round pick is that rare a chance to get a talent at a premium position that would normally cost in the $20M-$30M aav range if they play to expectations.  

Using that kind of chip on a safety is just not logical.   They are just too easy to find.   The free agent market is usually loaded with them..........because like RB's........teams know they can be easily replaced so they don't want to pay them.    This year's free agent class is no different.   Loaded and there will be solid one's available cheap enough even for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 5

On 2/13/2024 at 12:52 PM, GASabresIUFan said:

Priority list

1.  DT - we have only one signed.  I see 2 additions in the draft and an FA as the starter.  I expect a McGovern-level signing if Jones isn’t re-signed. I think they'll grab one DT in the 1st 3 rounds.

2.  Safety.  Poyer and Hamlin are signed.  Need an FA possible starter and at least one higher draftee to compete in camp for the starter's job. We need someone better than Rapp. I expect S to be drafted in the top 4 rounds.

3.  WR - Need a Davis upgrade and an eventual Diggs replacement maybe as early as 2025.  This should be our 1st pick, even if management likes Shorter as Gabe's replacement.  GB convinced me that you can’t have enough talent in the receiving room.  I’m also interested in a late-round WR, but suspect we’ll see a cheap FA instead.

4. Edge - Rousseau is the man. Miller is a maybe and Jonathan an unknown.  We are going to need two bodies here.  I see one middle draftee and a cheap FA.  Maybe we find enough money to keep Epenesa and lower the draft priority.

5 & 6 OT and Center. Brown and Dawkins are on 1-year deals, as is Morse and Bates.  Get some middle-round bodies in and see if one has the goods to be a starter in 2025.  It would be a dream draft if Van Pran falls to the Bills in the 3rd.  That would also us to trade Bates and save $5 million in cap to use elsewhere.  

7.  CB Douglas and I think Taron Johnson only have one year left on their deals and who knows whether While returns. Elam is a bust so far and the CBs on special teams aren’t returning.  Seems like a good time to grab one in the 5th or 6th rounds when we have 5 picks.   

8.  RB - Right now Cook is our only RB.  Re-signing Ty Johnson should be done.  If Hines’ knee doesn’t look good, I expect Beane to draft more depth here.

TE and LB need one more player each. I expect both jobs to go to cheap FA. 

Priority list

1. Make your super-elite top 3 talented QB look as good as he can.

2. Everything else in much less specific order.

I think people get so focused on how the Patriots and later the Chiefs have done something.......and how to do THAT........that they lose sight of the obvious.    

Once you've put a couple of Lombardi's in the trophy case and you've decided that your HC is a genius in his own right(and the owner's appetite for paying superstar wages has diminished) well THEN you play the games that the Chiefs have successfully for the past 2 years.    

One of the common traits of champions who go on runs like NE and KC is that they take advantage of teams who build "not to lose" to them.   That's the "hole patching" mentality that Brandon Beane has cultivated.    The smarter teams........the one's who break thru against them.........lean into their strengths with the intention of BEATING them.

One of my favorite goofy Bills fan takes is complaining that the Bills never sack Mahomes in a playoff game............while ignoring that the Chiefs don't sack Josh Allen either.    Think about it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 2/13/2024 at 12:20 PM, Solomon Grundy said:

If there's a TJ Watt/Chris Jones in this year's draft, then go for it. If not, then surround Superman with more members of the Justice League. Superman can't defeat the Legion of Doom all by himself

Here's the thing........nobody had any idea in their draft years that Watt and Jones had ceilings anywhere near what they developed into.

Both were seen as stiff, unathletic guys.   Watt was modestly productive(your standard 11 sack Wisconsin OLB) and Jones had been a big disappointment at Mississippi State.  

They tested well at the combine and boosted their stocks UP to where they were picked.......which wasn't early in either case.

Below is Mayock talking Jones down as he runs the 40.   NSFW.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

WR and it isn't close.

Are we really sure Buffalo still has a #1?  

Exactly. 
also, if Josh gets 7 on every possession, the other guys have to too. See SB 58. See Bills last game. Your team super power is 17.
 WR AND IT IS NOT CLOSE. 

btw. WR FA don’t want to play in blizzards. You MUST draft WR and QB in BUF. I know about 14 FA but there is truth here

Edited by Since1981
  • Like (+1) 1

It’s supposed to be a good WR class so if one of the top 6ish WR’s are there at 28 or a short trade up I say go there and then at pick 60 restock the defensive line with the best DT/DE there. The rest of the way just get the best talent

• Like (+1) 1

I would have to say WR.

The last 6-7 years, we've done the D-line thing, and it hasn't gotten us home.

FA signings like Addison, etc.

Then draft picks, Oliver (1), AJE (2), Groot (1), Basham (2), etc.

Mega signing and mega deal for Von Miller and a big 1-year deal for Floyd.

What have we done at WR?

Traded a 1st round pick 4 years ago for Diggs and drafted a couple 4th and 5th round picks...

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Between the two, something on offense, whether it's a WR or a lineman.  

The optimal way to beat the Chiefs is to limit their offensive opportunities and time of possession, especially in the second half.  Keep Hero Ball on the sidelines.  That means you have an offense that not only scores, but stays on the field.

The 49ers would have won that Super Bowl if they kept running CMC and Mitchell at the Chiefs and dinking/dunking.  That KC defense was spent.

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Here's the thing........nobody had any idea in their draft years that Watt and Jones had ceilings anywhere near what they developed into.

Both were seen as stiff, unathletic guys.   Watt was modestly productive(your standard 11 sack Wisconsin OLB) and Jones had been a big disappointment at Mississippi State.  

They tested well at the combine and boosted their stocks UP to where they were picked.......which wasn't early in either case.

Below is Mayock talking Jones down as he runs the 40.   NSFW.

Yep. I had a 1st on Jones that year when a lot of people, particularly early on, had him as a day two guy. But I confess I did not have a 1st on TJ Watt and it was exactly for the reason you said. He was a big, stiff, kid who needed to add some functional strength to his frame and didn't have the explosion or the bend around the edge you look for. To be honest if it wasn't for his hands I might even have had a third on him. I thought some of the hype was the name. 

• Like (+1) 1

Quit trading up, giving up draft capital. Bills need WR, OC, DT, DE, S, CB. Whoever is best and can provide an immediate impact when #28 comes around. Hopefully WR or S.

We need a combo of size, speed and instincts at DB and we honestly could use depth at LB. Draft a Safety who weighs 205-plus. Kinchens or Nubin if we use an early pick. Trey Taylor is a later round possibility. Safety talent seems deep this year.

At WR, Bills need a guy who will consistently get open. McConkey would be a good choice. 

Bills have really needed a Center for a few years now to replace Morse. Again, the talent seems deep.

Need to draft for depth on DL, as well as an Edge rusher.

6 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

We have tried and tried to fill the holes on the defensive line and it has not come through for us in the playoffs.
It’s time to go on the offensive.

Defense and offense are completely different animals. You don’t rotate as much on offense as you do defense.

We literally only need 1 starter on offense. The defense needs 3 and at least 2 depth edge players and 1-2 depth DTs. All will play a major role on defense.

We need depth WR and RB but we won’t see the depth WR much unless injuries.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. I had a 1st on Jones that year when a lot of people, particularly early on, had him as a day two guy. But I confess I did not have a 1st on TJ Watt and it was exactly for the reason you said. He was a big, stiff, kid who needed to add some functional strength to his frame and didn't have the explosion or the bend around the edge you look for. To be honest if it wasn't for his hands I might even have had a third on him. I thought some of the hype was the name. 

Yeah, same sentiments on those players.   In 2016 I really disliked the Shaq Lawson pick(as you know) and would have preferred to have the potential of Jones between the two but I also probably would have taken Myles Jack before either of them.   He was considered a generational talent and it looked like a line of low-motor underachievers at DL after him.  And that didn't work out for Jacksonville and is another reason to not buy into "generational" non-premium-position players in round 1, IMO.   That 2016 draft had some notable busts and over-drafted DL in the first couple rounds but also produced Jones, Bosa, Hargrave, Floyd and Ngakoue..........which made it a huge pass rusher draft.

• Like (+1) 1

It’s WR for me and it isn’t close. I would sign up for WR in the 1st AND 2nd if the value was there (something like Franklin and Legette). 

My STRONG belief is that you give Josh Allen whatever he wants/needs and then you fill out the roster. If the Bills are going to get over the hump it will be BECAUSE of Josh Allen. Add a few MPH to your fastball.

• Agree 1

WR all the way

then another, maybe in round 3 or 4. 

At some point, though, I'm hoping my dream of a stage-shaking, enormous monster of a DT who with NFL training and some work in the WNY restaurants can achieve his destiny of being the next Ted Washington will come true. 

On 2/13/2024 at 11:17 AM, GunnerBill said:

I would not reach on a player just to get a receiver but they reached over receivers for a corner two years ago IMO. I think receiver is priority #1, Dline is priority #2 and safety is priority #3. 

That doesn't mean you MUST draft them in that order, but that's the order of priority for me. 

From what I can tell in my limited look at draft prospects, R2 is pretty loaded at DT talent, so edge/WR get the edge in R1.  I don't think there is a safety as good as Donte Whitner in R1..... 

/sarcasm

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.