Thoughts on Kyle Shanahan?

Process

The guy gets praised as an offensive genius and rightfully so, but he sure does choke in big games. 

3 superbowls with double digit leads. 3 losses. (2 as HC)

Several examples of players not executing last night, including fumbles and missed passes, so not all coaching. But it starts at the top and Bills fans should know, it's hard to overcome a HC that puts the team in bad spots. 

Questionable calls on multiple key third downs, not prepared at all for KC blitz

Stretch where it seemed like he got away from the run too much

Could have got the ball back before halftime with 50 seconds and 1TO, but elected to let the clock run out

Chose to receive in OT, which is inexcusable IMO. And then made it even worse by kicking the FG instead of going for a TD

Players didn't even know the overtime rules until they saw it on the jumbotron before OT

Edited by Process
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

He completely bungled OT. I think it shows a low IQ guy. These guys are gifted so much talent on their team, and then they don't have the intellectual capacity to conceptualize the strategic differences between the old OT rules and the new playoff OT rules. Also, you have to know your opponent and the time of the game. Both defenses are gassed, your goal has to be score at least 7 (I'd argue if you get the ball first, you should be trying to get 8 and force your opponent to match).

You have to make sure Mahomes isn't getting the ball in a walk-off situation. Because he's shown most of the time to be able to convert it.

Edited by pocoboy
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

He’s a great coach that has made some big mistakes and his ego can get in the way. I think he’ll win a Super Bowl at some point.  Maybe more than 1 

Edited by NewEra
  • Agree 2

One thing I should have also mentioned, to be fair, is that all 3 of those SB losses came against what will likely end up being the two greatest dynasties and HC/QB combos in NFL history. 

I do think he is a great coach. But he makes a lot of mistakes that he should not be making. 

He is still young. I think he will get over the hump one day. 

He's a great Offensive mind overall, but he struggles with in game adjustments. His ego also gets in the way and he does what he wants to do versus what he should do. He's had three SB's within his grasp now, one as OC and two as a HC, and his decision making process with play calling has cost him at the very least two of those. I don't know if he's overrated per say, but he has struggled on the biggest stage to solidify himself in that elite tier. 

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Process said:

The guy gets praised as an offensive genius and rightfully so, but he sure does choke in big games. 

Several examples of players not executing last night, including fumbles and missed passes, so not all coaching. But it starts at the top and Bills fans should know, it's hard to overcome a HC that puts the team in bad spots. 

Questionable calls on multiple key third downs, not prepared at all for KC blitz

Could have got the ball back before halftime with 50 seconds and 1TO, but elected to let the clock run out

Chose to receive in OT, which is inexcusable IMO. And then made it even worse by kicking the FG instead of going for a TD

Players didn't even know the overtime rules until they saw it on the jumbotron before OT

I don’t think that it’s inexcusable, there’s pros and cons to recieving or deferring. Deferring, you have more information so you know if you need to go for it on 4th down or not. However, if you were to both score a touchdown or a field goal, then going first gives you a big advantage as whoever scores next would win. 

Just now, Watkins101 said:

I don’t think that it’s inexcusable, there’s pros and cons to recieving or deferring. Deferring, you have more information so you know if you need to go for it on 4th down or not. However, if you were to both score a touchdown or a field goal, then going first gives you a big advantage as whoever scores next would win. 

The Chiefs would have gone for 2 if both teams scored a TD. Players confirmed that after the game. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrBob806 said:

49ers simply won the weaker conference. They would have lost to just about all 7 of the AFC playoff teams.

I was thinking this when they kept talking up Spagnuolo’s defense. He’s a good coach, but they wouldn’t be such an amazing defense if they had to overcome Mahomes to win the AFC title. Spagnuolo doesn’t really know how to stop Allen, and I think our defense could perform just as well against SF. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Process said:

I think it comes down to your 3rd paragraph. I think it was more execution than it was coaching. I think SF did quite well defensively this year, given their change in DCs the past three years.

28 minutes ago, Process said:

My working theory is that Shanahan didn't know the overtime rules, either.  It's the only explanation for that bizarre decision to take the ball first.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.