Should the Bills trade up for their own “Julio Jones”

DJB

Trade up?  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Trade up?

10 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Oh, and it's generally accepted that the Julio Jones trade was a success.

And that's questionable. There's a very legitimate argument that it was a failure.

Julio is a terrific player, there can be no reasonable argument against that. But did they give up too much?

In 2010, Atlanta went 13-3. They felt they were only a player or two away and made the Julio trade.

The next year they went 10-6, despite Julio putting up more than 900 yards. The year after that, 13-3. The year after that, 4-12. That was followed by 6-10, 8-8 and finally the one year they made the Super Bowl but lost to the Patriots in Jones' sixth year. A lot of their problems in those years came down to a lack of good players ... players who might have been on the team if not for the Julio trade.

If they win that Super Bowl, the argument's over. But they didn't. Lombardis justify just about any tactic. But they lost.

Was the difference between Julio Jones and a replacement guy acquired after #27 or in a trade worth all they gave away?

Questionable.

Yeah, not agreeing with me makes plenty of sense a pretty fair number of times.

But calling Beane "horrible" is disagreeing with anyone with a brain cell count in the triple digits or above. It's dumb.

I guess u don't like facts! Instead u want to try to insult someone for laying them out for you. Every big move outside of Josh Allen that Beane has made has backfired from Von to throwing multiple high picks in the trash. 

I'll give him this he did a much better job in last yrs draft at the top with the Kincaid and O'Cyrus picks hopefully this is a sign of things to come

6 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I guess u don't like facts! Instead u want to try to insult someone for laying them out for you. Every big move outside of Josh Allen that Beane has made has backfired from Von to throwing multiple high picks in the trash. 

I'll give him this he did a much better job in last yrs draft at the top with the Kincaid and O'Cyrus picks hopefully this is a sign of things to come

The second biggest move Beane made was trading a 1st and a 4th for Diggs and I believe he's been the second most productive WR in the NFL since he got here.  Allen didn't become elite until that trade.  I do admire your commitment to painting Beane as a terrible GM though.

7 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The second biggest move Beane made was trading a 1st and a 4th for Diggs and I believe he's been the second most productive WR in the NFL since he got here.  Allen didn't become elite until that trade.  I do admire your commitment to painting Beane as a terrible GM though.

I don't believe this to be the universal sentiment amongst all Bills fans. Yes Diggs has preformed at a high level in his 4yrs as a Bill but when u consider he's already declining along with the yr we traded for Diggs was a really strong yr in the draft for Wrs u come to the realization that was another blunder by Beane. With all that being said when u factor in the salary he received that helped put us in the cap situation we are in now instead of having a player like Jefferson or Higgins on a cost control deal and having one of them for the foreseeable future. When u add it all up Diggs cost us a 1st and 4th and salary cap space to have for basically 4yrs that's almost just as bad as drafting a player and losing him after 4yrs so essentially he was rental player not going to help us moving forward. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, DJB said:

In the 2012 draft Atlanta traded up to get Julio Jones. Here is the breakdown of the deal;

#6: Cleveland → Atlanta. (D) Cleveland traded this pick to Atlanta for Atlanta's first (27th overall, which later became #26), second (59th) and fourth-rounder (124th) and also Atlanta's first- and fourth-round selections in 2012.

Bills are in win now mode. We need an elite WR to put us over the top. Enter one of Malik Nabers (who I prefer) or Odunze. 

Is the time right now to do this with Josh and our window ?

Or should I put down the pipe and stick to trashing Tua? 

McClap will trade up for a corner or DT.

no. Offense. Allowed!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

You ever wonder what if we took Jefferson instead of trading for Diggs? We'd all be preoccupied with who would be WR2 and be set at WR1 for years to come. Is what it be.

We’d be in a much better spot today, no doubt. Also have to believe Jefferson wouldn’t completely disappear in the playoffs when corners are allowed to be more physical. No one saw the sort of success that was ahead for Jefferson or he would’ve been the first receiver off the board. That was a missed evaluation by everyone but the Vikings. The draft is a crapshoot, doesn’t make sense to trade up for any position that isn’t the face of your franchise. And even that’s a huge risk (hello, Carolina). Trade down if anything, accumulate capital in the early rounds.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

The way I fend off these compelling regrets is by first acknowledging pre-existing regrets that would have surely steepened Mahomes's learning curve in Buffalo (KC was able to essentially redshirt the raw but gifted QB prospect and put him through an intensive QB Camp with Andy Reid, Alex Smith, Brad Childress, Matt Nagy, and Eric Bieniemy to mentor him, whereas the Bills had Rick Dennison as 3rd or 4th choice OC, and effing Juan Castillo as OL coach and David Culley coaching QB for the first time in his career). It's possible that the hyper-cautious Tyrod Taylor would have been a useful counter to the rookie's risky tendencies, but overall it's doubtful that the offensive coaching and on-field talent (those WR/TE rooms were shameful) could have fostered the accelerated development he displayed in KC.

The Bills would have gotten LESS out of Mahomes than the Chiefs have seen. A lot less. 

Mahomes has had the benefit of better coaching, if not better skill players for most of his time there.  Give me Reid and Spagnuolo anyday and twice on Sundays. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, DJB said:

In the 2012 draft Atlanta traded up to get Julio Jones. Here is the breakdown of the deal;

#6: Cleveland → Atlanta. (D) Cleveland traded this pick to Atlanta for Atlanta's first (27th overall, which later became #26), second (59th) and fourth-rounder (124th) and also Atlanta's first- and fourth-round selections in 2012.

Bills are in win now mode. We need an elite WR to put us over the top. Enter one of Malik Nabers (who I prefer) or Odunze. 

Is the time right now to do this with Josh and our window ?

Or should I put down the pipe and stick to trashing Tua? 

Bills are not in win now mode.  They are in "regroup" mode.

The win now phase ended last year.

We gotta rebuild.  Don't expect us to be as good next year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

For as great as he was, did Julio win a title?  The Dolphins had the best WR duo in the league, how’d that play out?  The Eagles, Lions, etc are all sitting at home.   It’s great to have WRs and the Bills DO need them, but ultimately it’s a team sport, giving up 5 players for one is unlikely to be the right move.

14 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

For as great as he was, did Julio win a title?  The Dolphins had the best WR duo in the league, how’d that play out?  The Eagles, Lions, etc are all sitting at home.   It’s great to have WRs and the Bills DO need them, but ultimately it’s a team sport, giving up 5 players for one is unlikely to be the right move.

The 49ers have a good pair in Samel and Ayuik. Toss in CMC the most complete RB in the NFL.

They are not in a position to trade up.  They need to fill the roster with players on rookie contracts to alleviate the miller and diggs contracts over the next 2 years.

They should definitely draft and sign a wr for sure but they need to rebuild the defensive line and find a safety.  You know because the defensive head coach and the gm who works for the defensive head coach who spend most of their resources on defense....need to find defense again.  

We have to hope they hit on at least 4 guys who can play right away next year and find at least 4 mid level veteran free agents who can play right away.  

Have to just get through this short window where diggs and miller have these high salary numbers.

10 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

The way I fend off these compelling regrets is by first acknowledging pre-existing regrets that would have surely steepened Mahomes's learning curve in Buffalo (KC was able to essentially redshirt the raw but gifted QB prospect and put him through an intensive QB Camp with Andy Reid, Alex Smith, Brad Childress, Matt Nagy, and Eric Bieniemy to mentor him, whereas the Bills had Rick Dennison as 3rd or 4th choice OC, and effing Juan Castillo as OL coach and David Culley coaching QB for the first time in his career). It's possible that the hyper-cautious Tyrod Taylor would have been a useful counter to the rookie's risky tendencies, but overall it's doubtful that the offensive coaching and on-field talent (those WR/TE rooms were shameful) could have fostered the accelerated development he displayed in KC.

The Bills would have gotten LESS out of Mahomes than the Chiefs have seen. A lot less. 

Well the curse of the Bambino........as @FireChans compared this too........wasn't a curse because it prevented the Red Sox from winning the World Series 26 more times between 1918 and 2004............it was that it would soon elevate a league rival to seemingly previously unattainable championship status and the Red Sox then failed to win a WS for the rest of Ruth's career and another 86 years thereafter in total.

Whether Mahomes and the Bills then went to 6 straight conference title games and 4 Super Bowls in that span isn't the point.

One SB appearance alone would have trumped any of the Bills accomplishments since.

And to the idea that Mahomes wouldn't have been great in Buffalo...........how can anyone say that after Josh Allen basically evolved from a scattershot 52% passer into one of the best in the league under this regime?   That argument that Mahomes wouldn't have been able to be great in Buffalo has never held any water.

Mahomes was a much closer to finished product than Allen.   Andy Reid and the Chiefs weren't magicians.   Reid had never won a SB in nearly 20 seasons as a HC and the fans there were antsy about his playoff choke jobs since taking over.   His seat there was warm.  And at that point and the Chiefs organization was almost 50 years since their only prior SB win.   

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.