McBeane Mid to Late Round Picks Success

wppete

McBeane has had some success picking from rounds 4 - 7. Hopefully this draft with the amount of picks we have in those rounds they continue to find gems. Here are just a few. Add to the list if you can think of more.

Matt Milano - Round 5

Taron Johnson - Round 4

Khalil Shakir - Round 5

Christian Benford - Round 6

Gabe Davis - Round 4

Here are this year’s picks. I think we also get this year a 3rd round comp pick for losing Tremaine. 

Buffalo Bills Draft Picks By Round In 2024

Round 1

Round 2

Round 4

Round 5 (from GB)

Round 5

Round 6 (from LAR)

Round 6

Round 6 (from HOU)

Round 7

Edited by wppete

50 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Too bad his first and second rounders are suboptimal 

I pray he can hit in the 1st 2 rounds this year like he did last year and one of them is WR.  We are in good shape if he can AND continue his hitting on mid-round picks

9 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Scratch Oliver and Roussea off that list and I'll give it to you.

Oliver was amazing this year... until he reached his 500k bonus then in the playoffs disappeared.  Groot really needs to step up, but he keeps having injuries and disappearing the 2nd half of seasons as well.

54 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Too bad his first and second rounders are suboptimal 

This is so overblown by you. He's had hits and he's had misses. No GM hits on every pick. Busts in Round 1 and Round 2 happen league  wide. 

And when you factor in where we're picking on a yearly basis and the amount of impact players we've found in later rounds, Beane's success in the Draft is pretty good.

You can't be where we are on a yearly basis if he's terrible at Drafting and terrible at FA like you contend.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, wppete said:

Forgot about Kincaid and Torrence. Both of them are already stars. Great picks 

I hope Beane can replicate last year’s success in round 1 and 2.....this time with an impact player at WR, and another impact player on the defensive side of the ball.

• Like (+1) 3

Lol ... go back and read this same type of thread before the season and Bass was included as an example.

No argument Beane has made up for some of his 2nd round failures with some late round gems. 

This year I'd be happy if he just  got a great punter and a developmental Center in the last three rounds. 

He needs to get a great WR and edge rusher in rounds 1 and 2

• Like (+1) 1

Last few years 6s and 7s end of on other teams rosters because the bills are deep.  Benford is an exception who popped right away. They need to not sign as many older vets for depth and let the young guys they draft develop.  IMO

2 hours ago, wppete said:

Very true. Pretty much all except for Josh,   Ed Oliver and James Cook.  

Kincaid and Torrence early returns are good. I think Groot is also a good player. Really the only true “busts” in the first two rounds are Boogie and possibly Elam who the jury is still out on. AJE even turned in a decent couple of seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

The thing is that expectations in the lower rounds aren’t as high, so finding “good players” is just fine. 

No matter what the round, we’ve found a lot of good football players.

Dominant players is another story. That’s what we need. Players who can take over a game. The Process alone isn’t going to win a championship. 

• Agree 1

Beanes strength is finding NFL caliber talent.  He is one of the best in the league.  When we talk about finding superstars, he is just ok, if not below average.  

we have 9 picks this year, due to our cap situation, I expect at least 7 to make the roster.  Usually we don’t have that much room on the roster for rookies

33 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

Beanes strength is finding NFL caliber talent.  He is one of the best in the league.  When we talk about finding superstars, he is just ok, if not below average.  

we have 9 picks this year, due to our cap situation, I expect at least 7 to make the roster.  Usually we don’t have that much room on the roster for rookies

We might end up with more or less picks as no doubt Beane going to make a few draft day trades.

• Like (+1) 1

Beane needs to hit on WR and S in this draft who start and make an impact. That is the minimum bar!

It would be amazing if he hit on a DE sleeper as well but not holding my breath.

With our current roster, WR and S would seem to be the only spots available to a rookie.

WR x 2,  S, DE, DT, power RB, C would be positions that should be in play.

7 hours ago, wppete said:

McBeane has had some success picking from rounds 4 - 7. Hopefully this draft with the amount of picks we have in those rounds they continue to find gems. Here are just a few. Add to the list if you can think of more.

Matt Milano - Round 5

Taron Johnson - Round 4

Khalil Shakir - Round 5

Gabe Davis - Round 4

Here are this year’s picks. I think we also get this year a 3rd round comp pick for losing Tremaine. 

Round 1

Round 2

Round 4

Round 5 (from GB)

Round 5

Round 6 (from LAR)

Round 6

Round 6 (from HOU)

Round 7

I think you're missing our projected 3rd round comp pick at #99

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=Buf

Edited by MiracleAtRich1393
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, wppete said:

Matt Milano - Round 5

Taron Johnson - Round 4

Khalil Shakir - Round 5

Gabe Davis - Round 4

Round 1

Round 2

Round 4

Round 5 (from GB)

Round 5

Round 6 (from LAR)

Round 6

Round 6 (from HOU)

Round 7

Buffalo is expected to get a comp late in the 3rd

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.