Bills to interview Thad Lewis for OC

2 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

This thread is about ready to turn very ugly.

We unfortunately can't mention a single black person interviewing for a position without the usual cast of haters coming out, pretending to stick up for the candidate, by limiting their opportunities for growth and networking.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The NFL coaching system is lot more like the medieval guild system than the modern workplace. In the 15th century, a master craftsman would train his son for the profession, ensure he got into the guild, hand down the business to him at the appropriate moment, and the system would perpetuate itself through generations. The wild card in all of this is whether the son deserves it irrespective of whether he had outsized advantages in training/mentorship along the way. Kyle Shanahan is a great coach, and he is where he is because of who his father is. But perhaps he was exposed to learning that no one else gets given who his father was. But of course there's Hackett, Steve Belichick, the Reid kids, Gregg Williams's son, the Shulas, etc. etc. I'm sure I'm forgetting some. It can be infuriating, but once when understands that it has always operated like a medieval craftsmen's guild, it becomes less mystifying. The Rooney Rule cuts against that, which is a good thing.    

Norv Turner's son is another. I suppose Bobby Babich here too. You are right nepotism is still a real force in the NFL. 

I hate that any black coach who gets an interview gets "Rooney Rule" shouted at them. 

Thad has revived the career of a QB kicked off three teams in 15 months. I think him getting OC looks on the back of that work is very much earned.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Tomlin won’t have gotten the Steelers job if he wasn’t given a chance. 

the rule certainly has its flaws but the nepotism/ buddy system in the bro hiring is out of control. You recycle the same garbage coaches/ front office people because they are related to them or friends with them. 

but who needs another Brad Holmes when you can hire the ex Chargers GM who just got fired?

Fair point. However, Tomlin was also a coach in the NFL at various levels for 7 years  before he took that interview. A bit more qualified and believable that he would be more than just a token interview. People often overlook that.

The problem I have with this interview is that (at least to me) signifies that a real OC search is not about to happen. The job is Joe's. Just like it was Ken's in the last OC search. They are choosing comfortable over what may be better for the development and growth of the offense. 

There are plenty of minority candidates with better qualifications if they wanted to conduct a true search for OC. Perhaps ask for permission to interview EB? Duce Staley. This is a farce to meet a rule. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

This same bad, tired argument every hiring season.

It is absolutely valuable to get interviewing experience and network-building opportunities.

I've literally been through this a number of times myself. Interviewing for spots I didn't really have a shot at, but turned into a great opportunity to get on the radar of executives and surprise/impress them.

When you approach it positively and graciously, it's a great experience and one of the best ways to build your career.

Great post. Before I got my current (right now dream job), I loved interviewing. I had a job so there was zero pressure and it’s was just great practice. I’m very humble but I got offered like 7 or 8 jobs the past few years because I started to kill interviews. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

No thanks.  We’re going the interview route because it’s required. There are  a lot more qualified candidates that I’d consider here ……

My guess Brady McD are a package.  Fine, produce next year. If not, & we get a wash rinse repeat it’ll be time to move on…..

If McDermott and Brady can't get beyond the divisional round next season, they'll both be gone.  I honestly think this will be Sean's last stand to take a HOF qb beyond early playoff exits.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Great post. Before I got my current (right now dream job), I loved interviewing. I had a job so there was zero pressure and it’s was just great practice. I’m very humble but I got offered like 7 or 8 jobs the past few years because I started to kill interviews. 

Exactly, thanks.

I always find it hilarious that people go out of their way to post things here which only illustrate how little they've achieved in the business world.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

Maybe the Bills want to promote Brady but figure if he’s successful he’ll be gone in a year or so.  If Lewis is impressive in his interview perhaps he’d be brought on as the QB coach.  Learn the system and the organization and move up in a year or two.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Norv Turner's son is another. I suppose Bobby Babich here too. You are right nepotism is still a real force in the NFL. 

I hate that any black coach who gets an interview gets "Rooney Rule" shouted at them. 

Thad has revived the career of a QB kicked off three teams in 15 months. I think him getting OC looks on the back of that work is very much earned.

Just found out that Brian Callahan is 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Fair point. However, Tomlin was also a coach in the NFL at various levels for 7 years  before he took that interview. A bit more qualified and believable that he would be more than just a token interview. People often overlook that.

The problem I have with this interview is that (at least to me) signifies that a real OC search is not about to happen. The job is Joe's. Just like it was Ken's in the last OC search. They are choosing comfortable over what may be better for the development and growth of the offense. 

There are plenty of minority candidates with better qualifications if they wanted to conduct a true search for OC. Perhaps ask for permission to interview EB? Duce Staley. This is a farce to meet a rule. 

Good counter. I hope they interview Duce or EB. I like Brady but it wasn’t like this was some perfect offense under him (and it is very hard to take over mid season to be fair).  They should keep interviewing. 

and I don’t why this has to be some “controversial “ topic. It’s ok to have different thoughts. Part of the problem is this country is adults can’t have civil discussions. There were issues with racism at certain positions for a while (qbs and head coaches). It has done a much better job at opening up opportunities for people and I struggle to see why that is a bad thing. I also think the cronyism is a much bigger problem at this point too. 

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

No doubt.

Belichick-tonge-thing-02-copy.jpg?qualit

Sorry I cheated on your mom Steve. Want to be the DC?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

For all we know we reached out to EB and he said "no thanks". I dont see him taking ANY interviews right now. So maybe he's waiting to see how everything falls into place.

Additionally, as far as the search is concerned, we've discussed it in other threads, but there really arent a ton of candidates out there in general.

With the acceleration of promoting Offensive coaches, it has pretty much created a talent vacuum in that pipeline. Any OC worth a darn is already a head coach. Heck, teams already started promoting QB coaches who never called plays directly to Head Coach (Zac Taylor, LeFleur, etc)!

Outside of Klint Kubiak (another nepo case btw) there arent that many promising, experienced Offensive coaches out there.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bangarang said:

It’s going to be so disappointing when we interview a bunch of unqualified people just to hand the job to Brady. 

Who would you like to see us interview that is better qualified?

Just now, wppete said:

Pretty insulting to Thad Lewis.

I guarantee Thad doesnt think so.

• Agree 2

Just now, wppete said:

Well interviewing Lewis just opens the door for hiring Brady. Pretty insulting to Thad Lewis.

I honestly do not want Brady.  I want someone with more experience and although many rag on McDaniel for his HC gigs, the man has the experience, including working with Tom Brady and Superbowls. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I mean I wouldn't go with a first time OC myself but tell me what Duce Staley has done that gives you more confidence that he'd make a good NFL OC than Thad? Neither have ever been a coordinator. Thad has coached receivers and Quarterbacks. Duce has only ever coached running backs. For this offense with this QB I know which I'd consider a better fit. 

EB is a different case. He is qualified to do the job. As always the questions with EB have been about things off the field. 

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I guarantee Thad doesnt think so.

You already mentioned someone that is more qualified.  Do you really think that Thad is the most qualified minority candidate?  C'mon man.  

36 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Explain Nate Hackett? Or Pat Shurmur having two chances to be a head coach? Or Rob Ryan? Or Andy Reid’s ex heroin son being a d line coach? Or garbage Brian Schottmeir? Or a million other examples.

im not saying it’s all racism but it isn’t just the best guys getting the job. There is a guy in high school or college who is a million times better than Hackett but will never get a chance because is dad wasn’t a nfl coach or he’s not friends with the right people. 

This is truth. Getting a foot in the door in the NFL is completely about who you know. That is how most guys who are not ex pros get a shot. 

Just now, phypon said:

You already mentioned someone that is more qualified.  Do you really think that Thad is the most qualified minority candidate?  C'mon man.  

The most? No. But he is a legit OC candidate this cycle. It is not like they just picked a black guy and interviewed him.

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, phypon said:

That "qualified" question was to @Bangarang regarding what available candidates are better qualified than Brady.

Nothing to do with whatever race rants yall want to go off about.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Klint Kubiak if you’re looking for a name. It’s hard to be less qualified than a guy who only has 3 years of coaching experience, 2 of which were as an assistant WRs coach.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

The most? No. But he is a legit OC candidate this cycle. It is not like they just picked a black guy and interviewed him.

First of all, I wasn't addressing you.  That's exactly what they did.  If you can't see that then I don't know what to tell you.  For a woke guy you sure seem to be asleep to me.  The guy has zero OC experience.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That "qualified" question was to @Bangarang regarding what available candidates are better qualified than Brady.

Nothing to do with whatever race rants yall want to go off about.

You already answered your own question.  You're the one that is doing the "go off about".  Wake up man.

11 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I honestly do not want Brady.  I want someone with more experience and although many rag on McDaniel for his HC gigs, the man has the experience, including working with Tom Brady and Superbowls. 

I wonder what Norv Turner is up to these days. 

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

Klint Kubiak if you’re looking for a name. It’s hard to be less qualified than a guy who only has 3 years of coaching experience, 2 of which were as an assistant WRs coach.

Yeah, that's the only other one I've been able to dig up as well.

Not a ton out there.

Could also be to get a feel for him for the future. Maybe the new OC in TB won't want him and Thad and this culture put him into a QB coach position. Brady doesn't cut it and Lewis gets a shot. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, phypon said:

I also think it's disingenuous to minority candidates and a slap in the face to know you're only getting an interview based on the color of your skin.

Seems you’re the one discounting minority candidates’ resumes.  While it is true that the Rooney rule requires that a minority candidate be interviewed, even if Thad is the only minority candidate that the Bills interview for their open OC position, it is still a credit to Thad and his performance that he is getting the interview versus any other minority candidate.  And whether the Rooney rule exists or not, any interview is a chance for each candidate to make their case for why they would be the best candidate for the role and what they do with the offense which would be the differentiator versus the other candidates.  While Brady has a huge leg up on other candidates already, if Thad or whoever else really impresses the hiring powers, they could potentially land the job instead.  And worst case for Thad, he doesn’t get this job but is better prepped for future opportunities.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Jason Vrable is another. 

Funny enough he was an offensive assistant for us while Thad Lewis was playing 😆

I dont know that he has a better resume than Brady or even Lewis tho.

edit: But I appreciate the research and suggestion

Edited by DrDawkinstein

There are two schools of thought on this Rooney Rule business.

I personally agree that nepotism is a huge problem in the NFL coaching world but I would prefer teams just had a flat quota of qualified candidates that they must interview from outside the organization, not necessarily race based.   

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Seems you’re the one discounting minority candidates’ resumes.  While it is true that the Rooney rule requires that a minority candidate be interviewed, even if Thad is the only minority candidate that the Bills interview for their open OC position, it is still a credit to Thad and his performance that he is getting the interview versus any other minority candidate.  And whether the Rooney rule exists or not, any interview is a chance for each candidate to make their case for why they would be the best candidate for the role and what they do with the offense which would be the differentiator versus the other candidates.  While Brady has a huge leg up on other candidates already, if Thad or whoever else really impresses the hiring powers, they could potentially land the job instead.  And worst case for Thad, he doesn’t get this job but is better prepped for future opportunities.

I really hope you are joking.  See, here is the difference between you and me.  I'm not discounting him because he is a minority.  I'm discounting him because he has no OC experience.  We just went down that road with Dorsey and look how that turned out.  It's actually a disservice to Thad and somehow you can't see that and instead want to try to spin it into a feel good story.  I don't know what else to say to people like you. 

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean I wouldn't go with a first time OC myself but tell me what Duce Staley has done that gives you more confidence that he'd make a good NFL OC than Thad? Neither have ever been a coordinator. Thad has coached receivers and Quarterbacks. Duce has only ever coached running backs. For this offense with this QB I know which I'd consider a better fit. 

EB is a different case. He is qualified to do the job. As always the questions with EB have been about things off the field. 

You aren't wrong on Duce. The main thing he would be is experience in coaching and has from what I've seen always been a "players choice" type coach. That may not be enough, however it's free to look into. 

17 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

For all we know we reached out to EB and he said "no thanks". I dont see him taking ANY interviews right now. So maybe he's waiting to see how everything falls into place.

Additionally, as far as the search is concerned, we've discussed it in other threads, but there really arent a ton of candidates out there in general.

With the acceleration of promoting Offensive coaches, it has pretty much created a talent vaccuum in that pipeline. Any OC worth a darn is already a head coach. Heck, teams already started promoting QB coaches who never called plays directly to Head Coach (Zac Taylor, LeFleur, etc)!

Outside of Klint Kubiak (another nepo cae btw) there arent that many promising, experienced Offensive coaches out there.

As for the above, all valid points. When it comes to interviews, we don't know what we don't know. I would say time will tell the tale. If it's a narrow net cast with 2 pretty green minority candidates announced and Joe Brady gets the job, I think it would be fair to think it wasn't a real OC search, though. 

The phone at OBD should be ringing pretty often at this point with OCs wanting to come.  There shouldn't be a shortage of interviews. I just don't want them to meet the bare minimum here. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

well, likely a Rooney Rule interview.  

If we go with someone who is not a proven OC, might as well go with Brady.  Unless Thad can bring Evans with him at a discount.  

That would be quite a bonus

Diggs
Evans
1st Round WR
Shakir
2nd Round WR

BOOM 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, phypon said:

First of all, I wasn't addressing you.  That's exactly what they did.  If you can't see that then I don't know what to tell you.  For a woke guy you sure seem to be asleep to me.  The guy has zero OC experience.

He does have zero OC experience. But he has been successful coaching WRs and QBs. As far as candidates to be a first time OC in the NFL go Thad is totally legit.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This same bad, tired argument every hiring season.

It is absolutely valuable to get interviewing experience and network-building opportunities.

I've literally been through this a number of times myself. Interviewing for spots I didn't really have a shot at, but turned into a great opportunity to get on the radar of executives and surprise/impress them.

When you approach it positively and graciously, it's a great experience and one of the best ways to build your career.

This is what people don't understand.  Even if Thad doesn't get the job, he has an opportunity to make an impression.  And if it's a really good one, the NFL networking could help him down the road.  "Hey you interviewed Thad, what did you think?"  "Man, he blew us away, we just wanted to keep consistent with our offense and stuck with Joe". "Cool, we're thinking of hiring him, thanks for the feedback".

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He does have zero OC experience. But he has been successful coaching WRs and QBs. As far as candidates to be a first time OC in the NFL go Thad is totally legit.

His top 2 WRs are Evans and Godwin. It would actually be difficult to screw that up. Not exactly a young and raw WR room that needed coaching up.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bangarang said:

His top 2 WRs are Evans and Godwin. It would actually be difficult to screw that up. Not exactly a young and raw WR room that needed coaching up.

Fair. But then his work with Baker is impressive. And we know former NFL QBs (even mediocre ones) tend to get a leg up when it comes to QB and OC coaching. Witness Ken Dorsey for instance.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.