Divisional Playoffs - Chiefs at Bills - Post game thread

BuffaloBill

6 minutes ago, Simon said:

I think if he doesn't get bumped during the release he hits that post perfectly and they take the lead.

Yeah, that appears true. Probably just showing my frustration with that final sequence. 

15 minutes ago, sven233 said:

I see a lot of complaining about the TD shot on 3rd down.  I for one, have no problem with it as it was called.  The route was there and the play was there to be made but late pressure forced the ball to come up a little short.  But, make no mistake about it, that was the right read in that situation.  It was a TD if he had that extra half second.  Sure, Diggs was open, but if the shot is there for the TD, you pull the trigger. 

Now, I get the argument in the grand scheme of things.  Does that play need to be called in the first place or is there a better play that maybe would have given more options that would have gotten the first down to burn some more clock?  Sure.....I get that argument.  And if you want to blame someone on that play, blame Brady for calling it.  But it was called and Allen made the correct read.  It was there and was a split second away from connecting.  If you call that play, and it's there to be made, you try to make it and take the lead.  I know it's Mahomes and I know we hadn't stopped them the entire game, but this is professional football.  Score, take the lead, and then find a way to keep them out of the end zone.  Just find a way. 

Absolutely correct read…getting in that end zone was gonna be very tough sledding... that’s as easy a pitch and catch as possible if Dawkins holds up a split second longer and was ultimately the difference in the game.  Can’t even fathom people saying different 

there’s a very good chance we ultimately get held to a fg there even checking down to diggs and everyone would be all over not attempting that td throw 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Yeah, that appears true. Probably just showing my frustration with that final sequence. 

That was frustrating moment #247 on the night I think. :doh:

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Love Josh, but I’m not sure what we were trying to do on that last possession. We had them where we wanted , time running down and not much they could do about it. The play sequence at that point was strange. Allen should have been running and forced KC to think about burning time outs. Josh missed a wide open Shakir in the middle of the EZ. He came up short when it mattered most. This one stings - a lot . 

How many plays were run on that last drive BEFORE the final two passes?  FOURTEEN!  In the Bills 5 scoring/missed FG drives they ran 14, 11, 12, 15 & 16 plays. It's amazing that the Bills didn't have a TO or a couple of big penalties or a sack.  In total the Bills ran 78 plays to the Chiefs 47.

And it was 2nd & 9 not 1st and 10 so we had to be more aggressive if we were trying to score a TD and not a FG there. And for the record Allen could not step into that throw because the left tackle was pushed into him as he let it lose.

We should have used more play action throws on 1st down but of course the offense was working diligently on protecting McD's Defense.  On the one play action pass in the 4th quarter Allen threw a great deep ball that Diggs dropped. 

Again Allen plays out of his mind yet we think if we could just squeeze a little bit more magic out of the guy we can win games like this. IMO that is insane and condemns the Bills to making the same mistakes over and over and over again.

• Agree 1

Just now, CincyBillsFan said:

How many plays were run on that last drive BEFORE the final two passes?  FOURTEEN!  In the Bills 5 scoring/missed FG drives they ran 14, 11, 12, 15 & 16 plays. It's amazing that the Bills didn't have a TO or a couple of big penalties or a sack.  In total the Bills ran 78 plays to the Chiefs 47.

And it was 2nd & 9 not 1st and 10 so we had to be more aggressive if we were trying to score a TD and not a FG there. And for the record Allen could not step into that throw because the left tackle was pushed into him as he let it lose.

We should have used more play action throws on 1st down but of course the offense was working diligently on protecting McD's Defense.  On the one play action pass in the 4th quarter Allen threw a great deep ball that Diggs dropped. 

Again Allen plays out of his mind yet we think if we could just squeeze a little bit more magic out of the guy we can win games like this. IMO that is insane and condemns the Bills to making the same mistakes over and over and over again.

Think it’s fair to say Josh could improve his reads (he’d be unquestionably #1 QB if he did) AND desperately needs more help. 

• Eyeroll 1

25 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Love Josh, but I’m not sure what we were trying to do on that last possession. We had them where we wanted , time running down and not much they could do about it. The play sequence at that point was strange. Allen should have been running and forced KC to think about burning time outs. Josh missed a wide open Shakir in the middle of the EZ. He came up short when it mattered most. This one stings - a lot . 

He got hit as he threw it.

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Asking Josh to play a perfect game is an unfair expectation that he still comes close to achieving, and probably does if Dawkins holds up for another half second.

Instead of criticizing Josh, McDermott needs to be held accountable for his defense folding like origami in the playoffs against these top tier teams with franchise quarterbacks every single playoffs

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Agree. I watched about a half dozen plays of last years. Just no real interest in watching that team. 

In truth I want the 49ers to win now (sorry, Lions, but if the Bills can’t get over the line…) but feel either the Ravens or Chiefs will run over them.

Yeuch.

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Think it’s fair to say Josh could improve his reads (he’d be unquestionably #1 QB if he did) AND desperately needs more help. 

Might be true overall but he was near flawless reads wise in this game imo…I think people are taking what romo said before he even diagnosed the full play a little too seriously lol just because diggs was open for a pitch and catch doesn’t mean shakir wasn’t open for a pitch and catch td 

• Like (+1) 1

I was biting my tongue till the end of the season. But this drama began in the off season with Diggs/Dorsey/McD with “great communication.” I love Diggs. But if you’re gonna be a diva, step up and make the plays. As it is we’re bending over backwards to get him the ball. When Kincaid and even Shakir have been more productive per attempt.

Our Von-Ted D line didn’t show up in the passing game tonight. The rest of our D are total ballers. Injuries caught up to us.

Regardless, we have a total stud at QB. This team goes as he goes. I hope he gets a ring before it’s all over. And Buffalo of course.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea… they tried to shorten the game and keep Mahomes off the field… Just incredible how easy the Chiefs offense moved the ball scoring in 6-7 play drives.

The team badly needs a new vision.

Agreed. Saw this coming all week.

Have to agree on the Chiefs offense vs Bills D. I know we had a lot of injuries, but they pretty much scored at will. Maybe we forced one punt? A great play at the goal line with the FF, but that was about it as far as defense was concerned. This wasn’t even a high powered version of the Chiefs and they moved the ball at will. 

3 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

Asking Josh to play a perfect game is an unfair expectation that he still comes close to achieving, and probably does if Dawkins holds up for another half second.

Instead of criticizing Josh, McDermott needs to be held accountable for his defense folding like origami in the playoffs against these top tier teams with franchise quarterbacks every single playoffs

Man not even a half second…like a fraction of a second is all he needed.  Still almost got that throw there 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BeastMaster said:

In the Allen playoff years which is 10 playoff games, McD's Defense played well ONCE. In every other game it played bad the whole game or at key moments that either lost us the game (Houston) or nearly lost the game (Indy - remember the Bills had a 24 - 10 4th quarter lead and almost lost). 

Given that McD is a defensive coach and Bean has fashioned D heavy roster this is unacceptable.  The Bills are wasting the prime years of Allen's career.  If they don't see it you have to wonder if that organization is worth our hard earned money and time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

The thing about the defensive injuries is that you got pretty much the same game out of the guys that played today as the last 2 KC playoff losses. The defense wasn't noticeably worse.

It absolutely was, Mahomes didn't look like it was hard most of the night.

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Might be true overall but he was near flawless reads wise in this game imo…I think people are taking what romo said before he even diagnosed the full play a little too seriously lol just because diggs was open for a pitch and catch doesn’t mean shakir wasn’t open for a pitch and catch td 

I think the Diggs or Shakir question is perhaps a matter of preference. I thought throwing to Diggs would have meant Josh could throw it a moment sooner, which would have meant an unaffected pass. He needed to be aware Dawkins was in full reverse to his left. I admit I could be wrong; perhaps he would have needed a similar amount of time for both. If so… not fussed about going for the TD.

In the Allen playoff years which is 10 playoff games, McD's Defense played well ONCE. In every other game it played bad the whole game or at key moments that either lost us the game (Houston) or nearly lost the game (Indy - remember the Bills had a 24 - 10 4th quarter lead and almost lost). 

Given that McD is a defensive coach and Bean has fashioned D heavy roster this is unacceptable.  The Bills are wasting the prime years of Allen's career.  If they don't see it you have to wonder if that organization is worth our hard earned money and time.

Couldn't agree more, and one of the best posts I've read here tonight

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

How is that different from the 2 other playoff losses to KC?

It was aggravating for sure, but at least in those ones Mahomes had to do some ridiculous ***** himself.

Edited by Warcodered

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Just not true.  

Beat Baltimore 17-3.  

Beat Pats 47-17.

Beat Steelers 31-17.  

I thought all those were pretty good performances defensively.  Steelers literally only made it close because the Bills fielded a preseason D for much of the 2nd half.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Simon said:

Yeah I though they got a little too aggressive coming out of the 2:00 warning.

It's better than turtling, but they could have managed it better while still staying proactive.

Again we have to figure mental and physical exhaustion into this.  The offense had run 14 plays on that drive before the 2 minute warning.  And those included a key 4th down conversion and a couple of 3rd down conversions.  From Brady to Allen (who take a wicked hit earlier in the drive) to the O linemen I get why they may have fizzled coming out of the break. 

This makes me even madder at the D.  They faced only 47 plays and 23 minutes of TOP yet they couldn't win many battles between the D line and the Chiefs O line. 

4 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I think the Diggs or Shakir question is perhaps a matter of preference. I thought throwing to Diggs would have meant Josh could throw it a moment sooner, which would have meant an unaffected pass. He needed to be aware Dawkins was in full reverse to his left. I admit I could be wrong; perhaps he would have needed a similar amount of time for both. If so… not fussed about going for the TD.

He may have gotten the throw to diggs off…it’s hard to say.  I’m sure he saw Dawkins getting backed up but he just needed like a split second more fight out of him and we probably win.  Even if you hit that throw to diggs it’s still an uphill battle getting into the end zone

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Wow...this is pretty crazy if true....poster claims it has been confirmed.

We definitely saw some regression in that best-I've-ever-seen lightning release he was displaying earlier in the year.

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

He may have gotten the throw to diggs off…it’s hard to say.  I’m sure he saw Dawkins getting backed up but he just needed like a split second more fight out of him and we probably win.  Even if you hit that throw to diggs it’s still an uphill battle getting into the end zone

Just shows how insanely close the margins are in these type of games.  A split second on that play turns it from an incompletion to a TD.  

• Like (+1) 2

might as well throw my 2 cents in.

thought Brady did well in the first half but what started out as a good mix of throws and runs 

became a one dimensional run game.   then after the half when the chiefs were starting to shut it down i 

felt he got off his game plan.   we started taking low percentage shots and bad run calls up the gut with the

entire chiefs D there. 

the long pass to sherfield....either he had to run faster or the ball needs to be a bit shorter.  the chances of running full out and 

then pretty much have to be extended fulll out and not having the ground take it away is pretty slim.  

the deep ball to diggs, looks like he miss judged it but that was trying to track a 65 -70 yard throw at full speed with the Defender in your hip pocket.

the bills needed more plays between safe and 10% chance of completion.   

who ever thought having a washed up guy off the couch defending kelse wasnt very smart.   

The D was decimated and it showed.   backups can only do so much and it wasnt enough.  

If the Bills are ever going to win a championship...they are going to have to plan smarter...draft smarter and play smarter.  

Edited by Comebackkid
  • Like (+1) 3

Just now, Big Turk said:

Just not true.  

Beat Baltimore 17-3.  

Beat Pats 47-17.

Beat Steelers 31-17.  

I thought all those were pretty good performances defensively.  Steelers literally only made it close because the Bills fielded a preseason D for much of the 2nd half.

The only great game the Bills D played that won a game was Baltimore.  The offense rolled over NE taking all the pressure off the D.  When the Steelers were sneaking back into the game in the 2nd half it was the offense which shut the door with a long TD drive.

The Bills have a Defensive minded head coach and a GM that has built a defensive focused roster that in the last 10 playoff games can point to only one game where the D was outstanding and was a difference maker.

10 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

The thing about the defensive injuries is that you got pretty much the same game out of the guys that played today as the last 2 KC playoff losses. The defense wasn't noticeably worse.

They gave up 9 yards a play for most almost the entire game for God's sake, they were WAY worse! Think the Chiefs ended at 7.7 Yards per Play but that is still terrible.

The only reason it didn't seem that bad is because the Bills had the ball so much and ran like 30 more plays than the Chiefs did to get almost the exact same yardage total.  I think the Bill ended up with like 7 more yards than the Chiefs did for the game. 

• Like (+1) 1

I was harping on it this weekend and unfortunately right.  At least 1 road team wins in the Divisional round. When the home teams were 3-0 in front of us i felt very uneasy. Just couldn’t get that out of my head.

• Agree 1

The only great game the Bills D played that won a game was Baltimore.  The offense rolled over NE taking all the pressure off the D.  When the Steelers were sneaking back into the game in the 2nd half it was the offense which shut the door with a long TD drive.

The Bills have a Defensive minded head coach and a GM that has built a defensive focused roster that in the last 10 playoff games can point to only one game where the D was outstanding and was a difference maker.

In all fariness, there are not a lot of teams recently that can point to their D being the difference in playoff games with the way the NFL is designed these days.  It favors the offense pretty heavily. See the Chiefs - Eagles Super Bowl last year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.