Pete Carmichael let go

I didn’t see this posted so forgive me if it was but the Saints canned long time OC Pete Carmichael. He was the guy who Joe Brady started under when he was on Sean Payton’s  staff.
If Joe is kept  I could see a guy like Pete being brought in as QB coach since they are basically using a modified Saints system in Buffalo now and if he leaves you have a guy who has called plays in the league before. 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Like (+1) 10

32 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I didn’t see this posted so forgive me if it was but the Saints canned long time OC Pete Carmichael. He was the guy who Joe Brady started under when he was on Sean Payton’s  staff.
If Joe is kept  I could see a guy like Pete being brought in as QB coach since they are basically using a modified Saints system in Buffalo now and if he leaves you have a guy who has called plays in the league before. 

Great eye, I think there is a high chance that happens. 

33 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I'm not so sure the Bills are using a modified Saints system now.  Can you tell me more about this? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Wouldn't shock me - he might get some OC calls first though.  Depends how this coaching cycle goes, and whether he wants to move back to a QB coach role.  

I don't think anyone would be able to argue that Brady has done a poor job, especially factoring in that it was a mid-season promotion.  He's done a lot of the things that McDermott wants to see.  He to me has earned the right to be offensive coordinator here, and working with a long-tenured coach under sean payton seems like a great person to collaborate with on 

• Consistent effort and execution in the run game, usage of tackle eligible players in addition to the two TE sets.  We have rushed for over 100 in every game since he took over.  Some of this is end of season allen, but scrambling was already included in the game plan - I haven't seen a major influx in designed runs outside sneaks.
  • More of a focus on playing from under center.  Run game is able to get outside more consistently, as well as the possibility for play action.  Allen is money from under center and play action.  
  • Complimentary football - Higher time of possession in every game other than the chargers.  More first downs than the opponent in every game other than the chargers.  Longer sustained drives seem to be a bit more consistent, and we don't seem to run into these lulls where we can't stay on the field.  I don't want to pull all the field position starts to determine if that improved, but i think it did - even most of allens turnovers were to the other side of the field.  
  • They seem to start faster, which suggests improved game scripts.  

In any case, i would assume brady gets the promotion permanently.  That means we need to hire a QB coach, and a long tenured NFL coordinator/QB coach would be a good target since our coordinator has only been in the league for a few years.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue
  • Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Wouldn't shock me - he might get some OC calls first though.  Depends how this coaching cycle goes, and whether he wants to move back to a QB coach role.  

I don't think anyone would be able to argue that Brady has done a poor job, especially factoring in that it was a mid-season promotion.  He's done a lot of the things that McDermott wants to see.  He to me has earned the right to be offensive coordinator here, and working with a long-tenured coach under sean payton seems like a great person to collaborate with on 

• Consistent effort and execution in the run game, usage of tackle eligible players in addition to the two TE sets.  We have rushed for over 100 in every game since he took over.  Some of this is end of season allen, but scrambling was already included in the game plan - I haven't seen a major influx in designed runs outside sneaks.
  • More of a focus on playing from under center.  Run game is able to get outside more consistently, as well as the possibility for play action.  Allen is money from under center and play action.  
  • Complimentary football - Higher time of possession in every game other than the chargers.  More first downs than the opponent in every game other than the chargers.  Longer sustained drives seem to be a bit more consistent, and we don't seem to run into these lulls where we can't stay on the field.  I don't want to pull all the field position starts to determine if that improved, but i think it did - even most of allens turnovers were to the other side of the field.  

I know I made a joke a little ways up, but I do think that the Bills should take a look at axed outgoing staff. Brady was a Rhule scapegoat after all and we do need to get assistants into the pipeline.

I wouldn't turn up any solid QB coach or DCs. I think McDermott has done a decent job calling the defense but I think he could use an assistant to delegate to.

• Like (+1) 1

As as Saints season ticket holder I'll say this; Carmichael's tenure as OC basically proved it was Sean Payton calling the offense when he was in NOLA. If this is the direction we're headed we should turn the wheel hard in the opposite direction now!!

Good call! Carmichael is a good coach. Not sure about play calling…but he would be a good fit to assist Brady as a QB coach if Brady is indeed named the full time guy. It’s doubling down on Brady and the E-P system. That’s fine with me as long as they fully commit to the vision. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Smart guy, I’ve always liked Pete. I wouldn’t mind bringing him onboard in whatever capacity with the team.

He’d be a positive force with Josh Allen’s continued development going forward and looking ahead. Good call, 78.’

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Or maybe a senior offensive assistant in the Mike Shula mold.

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

He would be a great get for QB coach. Although he's been down south for so long, who knows if he wants to come up here. It's not for everyone. But he did grow up in the northeast so who knows. 

Edited by Wayne Arnold

1 hour ago, WinterSoldier17 said:

Smart guy, I’ve always liked Pete. I wouldn’t mind bringing him onboard in whatever capacity with the team.

He’d be a positive force with Josh Allen’s continued development going forward and looking ahead. Good call, 78.’

just curious- how did you have any meaningful opinion on Pete as a coach/person beyond simply unimaginative play caller? 

he’s not shown any meaningful insights into who he is 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

In any case, i would assume brady gets the promotion permanently.  That means we need to hire a QB coach, and a long tenured NFL coordinator/QB coach would be a good target since our coordinator has only been in the league for a few years.  

Thats exactly what I’ve been saying a guy with 15 years experience and a guy who worked with Drew Brees for a large part of his career wouldn’t exactly be a bad hire as a QB coach so if Joe Brady got a head coaching job you could slide Carmichael in there as a guy who has called plays for a long time in the league. 

18 hours ago, transient said:

As as Saints season ticket holder I'll say this; Carmichael's tenure as OC basically proved it was Sean Payton calling the offense when he was in NOLA. If this is the direction we're headed we should turn the wheel hard in the opposite direction now!!

So don't have him call plays.  He can still help draw them up and evaluate film? 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Pete will become a Senior Offensive Assistant type. He'd be a replacement for Mike Shula here I think rather than a QB coach.

yup. He’s in a weird space where he won’t be a sought after OC but his resume is above position coach 

1 hour ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

So don't have him call plays.  He can still help draw them up and evaluate film? 

sure. Lots of guys could. 

I think the concern is Sean Payton was likely the drawing up plays guy in New orleans. After he left the offense went stale quickly. Talent obviously a concern there but he didn’t show any particular innovation - so why him over any other options in they role?

20 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Maybe. My quick guess is that it is DJ Mangas who was brought in after Brady was promoted. They worked together at LSU with Burrow. 

Who knows, I guess there is a world where all three exist together in Buffalo. 

Edited by Mango

14 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I think the concern is Sean Payton was likely the drawing up plays guy in New orleans. After he left the offense went stale quickly. Talent obviously a concern there but he didn’t show any particular innovation - so why him over any other options in they role?

And even with dwindling talent, after Brees retirement, Payton narrowly lost the division with duct tape and baling twine at QB the year Winston blew out his knee... Carmichael's offense was just bad and lifeless and plodding and awful to watch. He managed to make Andy Dalton even more efficiently boring. People think "low positive" Josh was bad, he'll have him taking a nap in the backfield. I want his input nowhere near this team on any level.

28 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

yup. He’s in a weird space where he won’t be a sought after OC but his resume is above position coach 

sure. Lots of guys could. 

They also had Dalton, Winston, and Carr at QB.  Way too much money during that stretch tied up in Michael Thomas and Taysom Hill.  Nothing about that offense screams top 5 to me.  Dennis Allen's going to be on the hotseat so i think he's going to try and find someone who can get them to run the ball more effectively to set up play action.  Probably someone in a shanahan tree.  

49 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Yea I'd want him doing some of the future opponent study, and there in the box on gameday as an extra vet pair of eyes and ears. I wouldn't want him designing or calling plays. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, NoSaint said:

just curious- how did you have any meaningful opinion on Pete as a coach/person beyond simply unimaginative play caller? 

he’s not shown any meaningful insights into who he is 

From his time at Louisiana Tech as the QB coach when I coached with him? Anecdotal evidence and everything, but I learned a lot from the guy.

He’s been around the block and back again, for quite some time.

2 hours ago, WinterSoldier17 said:

From his time at Louisiana Tech as the QB coach when I coached with him? Anecdotal evidence and everything, but I learned a lot from the guy.

He’s been around the block and back again, for quite some time.

im sure you can acknowledge that’s an incredibly niche perspective that might be well served to mention when discussing a guy

That said it’s also like 25+ years old but I do appreciate the share still

5 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

They also had Dalton, Winston, and Carr at QB.  Way too much money during that stretch tied up in Michael Thomas and Taysom Hill.  Nothing about that offense screams top 5 to me.  Dennis Allen's going to be on the hotseat so i think he's going to try and find someone who can get them to run the ball more effectively to set up play action.  Probably someone in a shanahan tree.  

ill say that seeing nearly every game of his professional career- and probably a third of those in person- I’d be fine if Brady had a good working relationship and wanted to use him as a culture guy and sounding board….. but nothing about Carmichael makes me want him in offensive design.

I think the saints offensive struggles are Pete- ol -qb in that order

6 hours ago, transient said:

And even with dwindling talent, after Brees retirement, Payton narrowly lost the division with duct tape and baling twine at QB the year Winston blew out his knee... Carmichael's offense was just bad and lifeless and plodding and awful to watch. He managed to make Andy Dalton even more efficiently boring. People think "low positive" Josh was bad, he'll have him taking a nap in the backfield. I want his input nowhere near this team on any level.

kind of exactly my feelings 

if Brady loves the guy I’d be fine but certainly not someone I’m trying to target based on resume alone 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.