Poyer and Hyde

Dubie54

It's been a good ride. They're the OG's who've been here on this defense since 2017. Hyde needs to do the smart thing and retire, but we will not be bringing him back regardless. I believe they keep Poyer for the 2024 season, unless they find a replacement they are comfortable with. 

14 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

You might like these guys … but I will be gobsmacked if they are paying a safety $10m plus a year  this particular offseason….

Probably need to get by for 1  year with a combination of Poyer, Day 2 Draft pick, Rapp similar cheap free agent, Hamlin unless a  Day 3 pick beats him out  …

8 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Exactly. We won't be getting anyone in FA with that kind of cap hit. It will be a Taylor Rapp type (maybe even Rapp himself) and/or a 2nd-3rd Round Pick.

Anyone that will cost anything more than 5 is a non starter given our cap situation and the amount of holes we need to fill.

While I mostly agree with you guys, I just don’t see a world where McDermott is gonna put a rookie at that position. I know he’s been a bit better at playing the young guys lately, but safety is whole another ball game in this defense. I like Rapp and he did some good things so that is definitely a possibility and I wouldn’t hate it. 

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

While I mostly agree with you guys, I just don’t see a world where McDermott is gonna put a rookie at that position. I know he’s been a bit better at playing the young guys lately, but safety is whole another ball game in this defense. I like Rapp and he did some good things so that is definitely a possibility and I wouldn’t hate it. 

He started rookie Tre  ( at CB) so it’s not impossible…will need to be a good candidate in the draft…. Necessity will dictate a couple of tough decisions this offseason ..l

• Agree 1

Hyde is done. Older, slower and his play has diminished quite a bit. His play in the Philly game sticks out to me

Poyer was one of the few on D that actually played well against KC but is older and gets nicked up more often due to his aggressive play.

I'd sign or draft our FS of the future and bring someone in to compete with Poyer at SS until we move on from his final year. 

9 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

After McDimwit's comments the other day, I would say both are 100% gone.

I'd be surprised if Poyer is gone. From the comments of the Hyde family, it seems he's going to retire any day now.

I think Poyer's on the decline. But I also think they don't want to completely start fresh at both Safety spots. And I get the feeling they'll be getting younger there, so they're going to want Poyer there to help bring along the Rookie.

I think he'll be in line for a paycut or some sort of restructure to get his figure down a bit. If there's no restructure to be done and he turns down a paycut, maybe they bite the bullet because they feel they have no choice. 

But my gut says Taylor Rapp comes back cheap as insurance, having a year in the system under his belt, and we Draft a guy somewhere between Rounds 2 and 3 to pair with Po.

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

Stone and Curl (Along with Kyle Dugger) have been my top options for vet replacements. But I think that's just me dreaming big. What we most likely end up with IMO is Rapp back on a 2 year deal, draft a day 2 rookie and possibly keep Poyer for this last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/26/2024 at 5:11 PM, Aussie Joe said:

He started rookie Tre  ( at CB) so it’s not impossible…will need to be a good candidate in the draft…. Necessity will dictate a couple of tough decisions this offseason ..l

I mostly agree with your post. That said, however, safety (especially in McD's defenses) is a more cerebral position so it's best not to start rookies there unless then have exceptional football IQ.

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

If their careers as Bills ended this offseason, are either Poyer or Hyde Bills WoF worthy?

Yes to both.  Easily. 

Just now, SectionC3 said:

Yes to both.  Easily. 

They both helped change the culture.  And Hyde made arguably the best play that I have seen live in that stadium having attended hundreds of games.  To get that pick against NE in the WC game given where he came from on the field . . . It was breathtaking.  

6 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Yes to both.  Easily. 

They both helped change the culture.  And Hyde made arguably the best play that I have seen live in that stadium having attended hundreds of games.  To get that pick against NE in the WC game given where he came from on the field . . . It was breathtaking.  

That was the best int id ever seen, it was like he was playing center field. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

If their careers as Bills ended this offseason, are either Poyer or Hyde Bills WoF worthy?

No.  The last Bills put up there stopped playing 25 years ago.  They aren't the 2 best players to wear the uniform since...

57 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No.  The last Bills put up there stopped playing 25 years ago.  They aren't the 2 best players to wear the uniform since...

They are the first important players who are near the end of their careers who were part of the majority of the multi-year divisional championship run The Bills have been on.  That seems to distinguish them from the drought era players. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Chaos said:

They are the first important players who are near the end of their careers who were part of the majority of the multi-year divisional championship run The Bills have been on.  That seems to distinguish them from the drought era players. 

Neither is even the best DB the franchise has had. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd put Fred on too.

Tre was the best DB the Bills had for his first 5 seasons (playing with Poyer and Hyde).

Butch Byrd goes up before these 2 guys

Just now, Chaos said:

You need to name the names of the more deserving

Byrd, Kyle for sure.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd put them on the wall. Id put Kyle up there too.

I’m with you, but only if Butch Byrd goes up first. He should have been there long ago. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.