Injuries vs Steelers - Update from McDermott

DJB

20 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

For real?

Taron has been relatively healthy for the past few seasons, but yeah this sounds about right.

His first few seasons with the Bills... He was an ambulatory magnet.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/16/2024 at 4:56 PM, Bills Fan in MD said:

This would be Taron Johnson's fifth concussion of his career.  At some point his availability for the next game becomes a secondary concern.

I watched the KC/Miami game in a bar with some guy on his daughter’s phone. (Thanks, Peacock! :censored:)  We’re talking football and having a great time. At some point the daughter says “Go ahead dad, tell him.”  Huh? He was a 1st round pick of the Patriots and played 7 years at safety, including an All Pro year.  (He just gave me his name and Pats* I think ‘78 draft) TONS of cool stories about playing in OP. 

I actually forget his name now, but when his wife left he said she was the one who got him thru the CTE lawsuit. He said his evidence was the ELEVEN documented concussions as determined by team doctors.  He said hardly anybody in my condition could have that drag on for 6.5 years and get to the finish line. It was intentionally difficult, which probably shocks exactly nobody.  Nice guy, fascinating and we hit it off because he’s from my wife’s home town and they all know each other. He apologized, half in jest I think, that if I see you in the morning in the lobby and don’t recognize you, it wasn’t the bourbon. I can’t remember *&^% anymore. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Weird a bunch of people told me I was a fool that Bernard could possibly play this week after it was announced it was a sprain. 

I was a fool fir believing someone who told me the ankle was broke and he was done this person works inside the stadium for the team. So I posted it amd looked like an idiot. From what i was told they absolutely thought he broke it. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

I’m not worried about the injuries… WE HAVE THE 12TH MAN! Which will make it seem like we have 11 healthy players on defense so we should be fine.

Spit on Mahomes, curse profanities at Kelce; bring the noise Sunday bills fans! 

Exactly where my head is at!  Mahomes has no idea whats coming.  I intend to have no voice Monday.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Augie said:

I watched the KC/Miami game in a bar with some guy on his daughter’s phone. (Thanks, Peacock! :censored:)  We’re talking football and having a great time. At some point the daughter says “Go ahead dad, tell him.”  Huh? He was a 1st round pick of the Patriots and played 7 years at safety, including an All Pro year.  (He just gave me his name and Pats* I think ‘78 draft) TONS of cool stories about playing in OP. 

I actually forget his name now, but when his wife left he said she was the one who got him thru the CTE lawsuit. He said his evidence was the ELEVEN documented concussions as determined by team doctors.  He said hardly anybody in my condition could have that drag on for 6.5 years and get to the finish line. It was intentionally difficult, which probably shocks exactly nobody.  Nice guy, fascinating and we hit it off because he’s from my wife’s home town and they all know each other. He apologized, half in jest I think, that if I see you in the morning in the lobby and don’t recognize you, it wasn’t the bourbon. I can’t remember *&^% anymore. 

Looked it up looks like Tim Fox. Awsome story

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

For real?

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2024/1/17/24041967/buffalo-bills-first-injury-report-of-the-week-has-few-bright-spots

The good news for the Bills is that nickel cornerback Taron Johnson was able to be a limited participant in Wednesday’s practice. Johnson left Monday’s game due to a concussion — his second of the season and fifth of his six-year career. In each of his previous stints in the NFL’s concussion protocol, Johnson was able to meet all of the requirements to return to play within just one week. A limited day of practice is a good sign that he’s on the path to another quick recovery — although a second concussion this soon after the last (Week 11) usually takes a little longer to recover from.

image.png.1659835c468ea639691826350148addb.png

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

I’m not worried about the injuries… WE HAVE THE 12TH MAN! Which will make it seem like we have 11 healthy players on defense so we should be fine.

Spit on Mahomes, curse profanities at Kelce; bring the noise Sunday bills fans! 

Unless someone in the stands is going to cover Kelce, I am worried about injuries.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Whkfc said:

Looked it up looks like Tim Fox. Awsome story

I had to look it up because I knew that name wasn’t right and I wouldn’t want to spread bad info, even accidentally. This guy was open about all this and would tell anyone who would listen so I’m not talking out of school. He was even a local sports talk radio guy. His name is Rick Sanford and he played I think 6 years with Pats* and one in Seattle. He said they wanted him back in Seattle, but he just couldn’t do it. 

He’s a few years older than me, but knows my wife’s family. His father was probably at my wedding as my FIL was the only dentist in town forever, and if you invite one…. 🤷‍♂️

EDIT: Not to derail things, but he talked about being on the field in OP doing the pregame routine. He looked up to see a plane trying to fly a banner over the stadium going into the wind and barely moving. He said “holy $#%@ I think that thing is going to fall on us!!!  Then it turned with the wind and looked like it was shot out of a gun!”     😂 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The Chiefs won't be trotting out the awful secondary that Davis took advantage of in that game... They might have the best CB duo in the league and they're all coached extremely well. I think this will need to be another Kincaid/Shakir game, with a big helping of Allen's legs. And that would be true whether Davis was playing or not.

Even if Davis were back I agree it would/should be a Kincaid/shakir game. But I think he could have a role if he were healthy. The CBs they have are great partly cause they are so physical. Gabe has shown he can play that style and would be a good known quantity if shakir struggles with it. 

thanks for the updates btw

Edited by YattaOkasan
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Harty in recent weeks has shown off some of the speed we thought we were getting when we signed him. I agree I think he could be a bigger factor down the stretch than anticipated. It may have just taken him time to recover from his turf toe and now he's closer to 100%. Obviously he broke that punt return against the Dolphins, but he also almost broke his catch for a long TD against the Steelers. We need players that can create plays like that.

Agreed, we do indeed need players that can create plays like that.

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Just got an update on Gabe - He has a grade 2 PCL tear. I was told he will not play this week. He may be able to tough it out for the AFCCG but even then he would not be 100%.

@Einstein looks like you'll get your wish.

Thanks for this.

I am done with Gabe. 

Hope he gets paid by someone else in the offseason. Too inconsistent catching the ball, too much miscommunication between him and Josh. Sherfield might not be as good a blocker, but he's close, if not better. And I realize he's nowhere near the WR target, but I think that's been a good thing for the offense.

5 hours ago, Augie said:

Rick Stanford maybe?

Drafted in the first in 79 by NE. Played 7 years. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Augie said:

It has to be Raymond Clayborn 

Played 12 years with NE ... First round pick corner is 1977.. pro bowler

And he's part of the concussion lawsuit

10 minutes ago, Mango said:

Rick Stanford maybe?

Drafted in the first in 79 by NE. Played 7 years. 

Read my post below yours

Edited by Buffalo716

5 hours ago, Whkfc said:

I was a fool fir believing someone who told me the ankle was broke and he was done this person works inside the stadium for the team. So I posted it amd looked like an idiot. From what i was told they absolutely thought he broke it. 

Hence they immobilized it and carted him off. No shame there.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Before the Steelers game I had heard he had a calf & achilles strain which is typically a 1-3 game absence depending on how severe. But haven't gotten any updates on him.

Harty in recent weeks has shown off some of the speed we thought we were getting when we signed him. I agree I think he could be a bigger factor down the stretch than anticipated. It may have just taken him time to recover from his turf toe and now he's closer to 100%. Obviously he broke that punt return against the Dolphins, but he also almost broke his catch for a long TD against the Steelers. We need players that can create plays like that.

It took 18 games to finally get him the ball past the line is scrimmage. They telegraphed every play to him before Monday's game. He could be a big play guy Sunday. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I'd rather have a healthy Elam than a hobbled Douglas.

Elam has proved himself and he's getting better

I think the jury's still out on that one. I hope you are right, but we'll wait for further evidence.

8 hours ago, Magox said:

I certainly wouldn’t say that Elam had proven himself but he has shown the ability to make big plays in big games and that is something to take into consideration.

Made a big play last year in the Chiefs game picking off a Mahomes pass on the end zone 

6 minutes ago, Special K said:

Any updates on who is practicing today.....how injured players are progressing??

Maybe later this afternoon? 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.