Injuries vs Steelers - Update from McDermott

DJB

5 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

If Bernard can't go, Poyer may play closer to the line more often than usual 

I like this idea as well as we’ve seen it on longer downs and distances, but I do not think this is in the cards this weekend. I’m guessing a ton of two high looks. Estimating cover 2, 4 or 2 man. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I thought he was poor last week. Was lined up wrong at least twice and was easily tricked on misdirection. He runs and hits... but he is susceptible to any clever scheming.

One of the knocks on him was his ability to make clean drops in zone coverage, recognizing route schemes, IIRC. 

It’s a shame we shouldn’t be pressuring the QB this week, because if we were; this seems like the guy to do it.

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

His physical abilities are elite, but if he’s out there KC will surely identify him and attempt to put him in conflict.

Hopefully McDermott can scheme him into some easier assignments and just allow him to play instinctively. 

QB spy on 3 man rushes?

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Dorian is certainly our most physically gifted LBr

His speed and physicality are very evident...

And he hits like a mack truck.... Very bright future 

It’s started to make a ton of sense as to why they wanted him playing WLB behind Milano. They seem to share similar characteristics in terms of athletic ability and physicality. 

Now we know Bernard is a dog, and can run the show and diagnose, Williams seems to be the guy to allow to roam free and just play in space cleaning things up. 

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Oh I think he WILL improve. I am just not sold it will be by this Sunday.

When the game slows down for him it is all there for him to be really, really good. I feel the Bills are very well stocked at linebacker going forward. Just a shame they are all hurt this weekend!!

Well, having to deal with Kelce and Pacheco/Edwards-Helaire will certainly be a litmus test as to whether he has what it takes.

My prediction:  Out of the 4 guys with the designation of "Limited", 3 will be active on Sunday (Dodson, Douglas, Taron, Martin).

Out of the 5 injured guys with "DNP" designation on Thursday, 2 will be active on Sunday (Benford, Bernard, Gabe, Rapp, Spector).

On 1/16/2024 at 4:56 PM, Bills Fan in MD said:

This would be Taron Johnson's fifth concussion of his career.  At some point his availability for the next game becomes a secondary concern.

Yeah I know we all want him back, but it does feel icky continuing to hope this guy rushes back from concussions...

1 minute ago, One Buffalo said:

Dang, that Spector back injury must've been bad.  During the game i recall seeing blurbs on X that he was still on the sidelines in uniform waiting for the OK to go back in.  I guess he was never close to going back in.

15 minutes ago, One Buffalo said:

Just a few days ago I would have thought that Bernard would have been the last one to return out of that group, the fact that he may be available for this week is crazy.

I view that the distinct possibility of Taron, Douglas, Dodsen and Bernard playing this weekend as very encouraging news in the injury front.

If they all return we are very near full strength on the defensive front.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BrainwashedBillsFan said:

That’s for concussions? I thought it just kept him from overheating 

It’s called a Q Collar:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-players-neck-band-q-collar-wear/cssc7pf8z69dnfwzowfhbo1x

Does seem like one would have to get used to having constant pressure on the jugular veins.

Edited by Brand J
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Magox said:

Just a few days ago I would have thought that Bernard would have been the last one to return out of that group, the fact that he may be available for this week is crazy.

I view that the distinct possibility of Taron, Douglas, Dodsen and Bernard playing this weekend as very encouraging news in the injury front.

If they all return we are very near full strength on the defensive front.

I still would be shocked if he suits up. Like with Douglas last week, I've never seen a player under McDermott go DNP the entire week and then play in the game. I look at his Questionable designation as, well, Questionable.

Fingers crossed we get a Full designation for Douglas and Dodson today and either today, tomorrow, or early Sunday we hear Taron is out of protocol.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I still would be shocked if he suits up. Like with Douglas last week, I've never seen a player under McDermott go DNP the entire week and then play in the game. I look at his Questionable designation as, well, Questionable.

Fingers crossed we get a Full designation for Douglas and Dodson today and either today, tomorrow, or early Sunday we hear Taron is out of protocol.

Given how thin they are,  the importance of this game and win or go home… you might see something new this week … what have they got to lose? 

• Like (+1) 1

Some good news here!

Tyrel Dodson got a Full Practice in and has no designation, so he's good to go and we have some more depth at LB.

Rasul Douglas moved from Limited on Wednesday and Thursday to a Full Participant on Friday. Which makes his Questionable designation far less Questionable.

Taron Johnson seems very optimistic. Still need to get over the hurdle of Concussion Protocol. Fingers crossed that happens between now and Sunday night.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.